planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:47 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:15 pm 

Does anyone feel Giovinazzi will be on the 2020 grid?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:18 pm 

Rockie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11731749/canadian-gp-can-ferrari-finally-capitalise-on-speed-strengths

"Simulation based upon Baku suggests that the Ferrari should be making up around 0.7s on the Mercs down the Montreal straights - and there are doubts about whether the cars spend enough time in the corners for the Mercedes to be able to make all of that back up.

Montreal vies with Monza as the least downforce-sensitive track on the calendar - i.e an increase in downforce buys you less lap time than at any other track, around 30 per cent less than it buys at Barcelona, for example.

That said, most of the corners are fairly slow speed, and this is where the Merc's grip advantage over the Ferrari is at its greatest. It's probably going to be very tight over the lap."

This Ferrari is 7/10th faster than Merc on the straight due to simulation is ridiculous not even in Bahrain were they that fast which is the fastest they have been. Very soon it will get to a second it started at 5/10ths.

This speed didn't materialise in China with the twin straights, the continuous reference to Leclerc being faster in Q2, whilst in the race was no faster than Gasly is laughable.

You don't understand it varies from track to track and you don't believe the Ferrari is faster on the straights?

All that's being said is that the track should help Ferrari moreso than most other tracks but I don't believe anyone is saying categorically that Ferrari will be the quickest or that Mercedes will not be the quickest?

There is nothing to understand here, this is what the article is saying.

Point me to a race weekend where Ferrari was 5/10th faster than Mercedes in Q3 or the race, because using practice is same as using it on testing performance.

Are to believe Mercedes now has 1.7s advantage over Ferrari through the corners?

5 tenths quicker on the straights not over the complete lap, 1.7s quicker in the corners, are you just throwing in arbitrary numbers?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 16th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:19 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Name your price. I'll bet you any amount of money that things do not play out like this.

Last year if anyone remembers, it was quite a boring race, which is so rare at this track.

That is true but that's not the reason I don't see this battle transpiring. The fact is that there has never been a tight wheel to wheel battle between Bottas and Hamilton because as soon as Hamilton gets in front of Bottas; the battle is over.

Usually the battle is over regardless of who is in front.

No there have been several times where Hamilton has passed Bottas on track. I cannot think of one time (other than at a start) where Bottas has overtaken Hamilton on track.

Yep Hamilton passed Bottas in Bahrain.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:23 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

I'm sure Bottas used medium tyres, I see they threw some softs onto Latiffi's car to get him closer to Russell.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:32 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Does anyone feel Giovinazzi will be on the 2020 grid?

He was well off line into the first part of the chicane but kept his foot in despite there being a wall on the exit of the corner plus it's not even qualifying and the track still needs cleaning up especially off line, not very bright, this also follows up a penalty in Monaco for a half hearted passing attempt on Kubica which blocked the track and was close to getting the race red flagged, then a similar half hearted passing attempt on Kvyat earlier in the season were he punted him off the track and I think got himself another penalty?

He seems to be carrying on his reputation as being a bit of a crasher and being a little bit out of his depth.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:26 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11731749/canadian-gp-can-ferrari-finally-capitalise-on-speed-strengths

"Simulation based upon Baku suggests that the Ferrari should be making up around 0.7s on the Mercs down the Montreal straights - and there are doubts about whether the cars spend enough time in the corners for the Mercedes to be able to make all of that back up.

Montreal vies with Monza as the least downforce-sensitive track on the calendar - i.e an increase in downforce buys you less lap time than at any other track, around 30 per cent less than it buys at Barcelona, for example.

That said, most of the corners are fairly slow speed, and this is where the Merc's grip advantage over the Ferrari is at its greatest. It's probably going to be very tight over the lap."

This Ferrari is 7/10th faster than Merc on the straight due to simulation is ridiculous not even in Bahrain were they that fast which is the fastest they have been. Very soon it will get to a second it started at 5/10ths.

This speed didn't materialise in China with the twin straights, the continuous reference to Leclerc being faster in Q2, whilst in the race was no faster than Gasly is laughable.

You don't understand it varies from track to track and you don't believe the Ferrari is faster on the straights?

All that's being said is that the track should help Ferrari moreso than most other tracks but I don't believe anyone is saying categorically that Ferrari will be the quickest or that Mercedes will not be the quickest?

Point me to a race weekend where Ferrari was 5/10th faster than Mercedes in Q3 or the race, because using practice is same as using it on testing performance.

Are to believe Mercedes now has 1.7s advantage over Ferrari through the corners?

5 tenths quicker on the straights not over the complete lap, 1.7s quicker in the corners, are you just throwing in arbitrary numbers?

Well Mercedes were quicker through all the sectors.

Also awaiting you pointing me towards where Ferrari has been 5/10th quicker on the straights.

The 1.7s is easy to work out as the prediction is Ferrari being 7/10th quicker on the straights, so for Merc to be almost a second quicker over the lap they needed to have found 1.7s through the corners thought that was easy to grasp!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:34 pm 

angrypirate wrote:
Hamilton has form at this track.
The Mounties will be watching him then. :D

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:31 pm 

Bad mistake by Hamilton.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:34 pm 

Rockie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:

Also awaiting you pointing me towards where Ferrari has been 5/10th quicker on the straights.

The 1.7s is easy to work out as the prediction is Ferrari being 7/10th quicker on the straights, so for Merc to be almost a second quicker over the lap they needed to have found 1.7s through the corners thought that was easy to grasp!

You are comparing practice times, ever heard the saying it's only practice?

5 or 7 tenths come from the data analysts, are you qualified in this field?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:48 pm 

Gasly dawdling on the track again this time at the expense of his teammate.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:51 pm 

pokerman wrote:

It will have effected his lap, but I have to blame Verstappen for hitting the wall. Or in any races, drivers can blame the one in front for affecting the airflow and that resulting in them hitting the wall. Verstappen should have backed off before the final corner. I don't know why he kept trying to push when he was this close.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:57 pm 

This live sky coverage is absolutely dreadful........ I HATE listening to Crofty and Herbert. Laugh at their own made up nonsense. Really tedious. Chandhok was great on Channel 4 but feels like he is being forces to join in with them. A shame. I can tolerate Brundle and crofty in qualifyign and the race, but practice sessions with Crofty are just awful.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:58 pm 

Rockie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:

Have you not just seen Ferrari just go quicker on the same tyres as Mercedes, it's practice we won't find out the actual pecking order until qualifying, your 1.7s has already been quashed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:58 pm 

pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Last year if anyone remembers, it was quite a boring race, which is so rare at this track.

That is true but that's not the reason I don't see this battle transpiring. The fact is that there has never been a tight wheel to wheel battle between Bottas and Hamilton because as soon as Hamilton gets in front of Bottas; the battle is over.

No there have been several times where Hamilton has passed Bottas on track. I cannot think of one time (other than at a start) where Bottas has overtaken Hamilton on track.

Are you guys really contesting my claim that there usually is no wheel to wheel battle between the Merc drivers?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:19 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
pokerman wrote:

It will have effected his lap, but I have to blame Verstappen for hitting the wall. Or in any races, drivers can blame the one in front for affecting the airflow and that resulting in them hitting the wall. Verstappen should have backed off before the final corner. I don't know why he kept trying to push when he was this close.

Not being able to judge the closing speed of a car got him a penalty in Monaco.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:20 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Well Crofty is campaigning to get rid of practice sessions, I get the impression he finds it all quite boring?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:23 pm 

pokerman wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Well Crofty is campaigning to get rid of practice sessions, I get the impression he finds it all quite boring?

So Sky seriously need a commentator that shows some passion for the sport. Crofty is not showing any at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:23 pm 

Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Are you guys really contesting my claim that there usually is no wheel to wheel battle between the Merc drivers?

They were wheel to wheel in both Bahrain and Baku, that's 33% of races, if that comes under not usually?

Last edited by pokerman on Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:25 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
pokerman wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
pokerman wrote:

So Sky seriously need a commentator that shows some passion for the sport. Crofty is not showing any at all.

Crofty is someone who keeps asking for safety cars if he thinks the race has got too boring, I'm not sure if he was a fan before he got the job?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:38 pm 

Apparently Hamilton's gearbox is alright, very lucky.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:40 pm 

FP2 done:

Source - https://scontent.fbom16-1.fna.fbcdn.net ... e=5D9F1FF6

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:18 pm 

Who will replace Gasly and at which round?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:42 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
This live sky coverage is absolutely dreadful........ I HATE listening to Crofty and Herbert. Laugh at their own made up nonsense. Really tedious. Chandhok was great on Channel 4 but feels like he is being forces to join in with them. A shame. I can tolerate Brundle and crofty in qualifyign and the race, but practice sessions with Crofty are just awful.

I did pretty well in P2 even though I say it myself. I lasted nearly 40 minutes listening to the same lame jokes, juvenile put downs, and ill-informed garbage before I finally gave in and muted the damned thing. I have never come across such a lazy, ill- mannered commentator who thinks this garbage is an acceptable alternative to informed comment.

As an exasperated Kravitz said after one of Crofts over long incoherent ramblings -'What's your point?' Indeed. What is the point of Croft?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:16 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I did pretty well in P2 even though I say it myself. I lasted nearly 40 minutes listening to the same lame jokes, juvenile put downs, and ill-informed garbage before I finally gave in and muted the damned thing. I have never come across such a lazy, ill- mannered commentator who thinks this garbage is an acceptable alternative to informed comment.

As an exasperated Kravitz said after one of Crofts over long incoherent ramblings -'What's your point?' Indeed. What is the point of Croft?

I believe his selling point is enthusiasm. If you can keep him pointed in the right direction, he brings good energy to the broadcast. The problem is that it's impossible to do that.

For me, Sky can do better than Croft with people that they already have on their payroll. It's not just the tangential rambling; it's the abundance of mistakes and apparent lack of awareness.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:43 am 

Lap times:

Source - www.imgur.com

Source - www.imgur.com

Source - www.imgur.com

Source - www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:49 am 

Race pace (Williams will surely be glad seeing this):

Source - www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:46 am 

As a McLaren fan, I hope the above is 100% accurate.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:10 am 

According the GPS trace Ferrari turned their engines up in FP2.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... s-longrun/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:31 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Race pace (Williams will surely be glad seeing this):

Source - http://www.imgur.com

We are in opposite land:

EngineMedian Race Pace
Ferrari2.0
Mercedes1.9
Honda1.35
Renault1.2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:43 am 

pokerman wrote:

According to Ted it wasn't his race gearbox. That will be going in today (Saturday)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:56 am 

Lojik wrote:
pokerman wrote:

According to Ted it wasn't his race gearbox. That will be going in today (Saturday)

Yeah I over reacted I actually knew that race gearboxes are not used on Fridays as well as race engines once they are on to their second engines apart from when they are new, cheers. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:16 pm 

Exediron wrote:
As a McLaren fan, I hope the above is 100% accurate.

🙏🙏🙏🙏

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:31 pm 

Ferrari looking good

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:03 pm 

lucifers wrote:
Ferrari looking good

Well it was predicted that this track would suit their car better.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:08 pm 

I guess the big question is whether practice form will translate to qualifying. If so, Ferrari look good to lock out the front row

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:27 pm 

FP3 done:

Source - https://scontent.fbom16-1.fna.fbcdn.net ... e=5D8CDC45

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:40 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
pokerman wrote:

He was probably desperate to hit the wall of champions. Wishful hitting, so to speak... :D

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:42 pm 

Yeah looks like Ferrari has this covered but their drivers need to deliver. Mercs q3 mode will make things a lot closer I reckon.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:55 pm 

Stroll had an engine failure. A worry for the other Merc engines

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:14 pm 

JN23 wrote:
Stroll had an engine failure. A worry for the other Merc engines

Maybe, hopefully just bad luck like what Hamilton had in 2016, no other Mercedes driver had any engine issues that year.