planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:01 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:49 pm 

That was a hard race to watch, and for me Paul Ricard is a test track car park.

I get nothing out Formula E, I've tried and cannot take to it. But I am enjoying IndyCar this season, and you know what... for the first time in my life, I'd say I'd watch Indycar before F1.

Car #36 - Blog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:55 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
So Riciardo gets "multiple - 2 time - penalties" then.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:59 pm 

Invade wrote:
The question now is will Renault react like Ferrari did after Canada - lol.

I can't wait for Renault to present some Karun Chandok analysis as significant new evidence.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:02 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:

Who knew you couldn't overtake on the straight by going completely off the track.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:04 pm 

I just don't know why is Ricciardo upset about the penalties. He was so clearly out of track in both cases.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:12 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
You know the race was boring when there are multiple posts about how to correctly write how many times Lewis has won the WDC :?

I think you'll find someone stating that its a boring race will quickly follow up by somehow crow-barring Hamiltons name in there somewhere.
But I would like to point out to those struggling with English. We don't say 'comma' even if its in there. And it's couldn't care a less. :frown: :frown:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:14 pm 

yes, especially pulling up on the alfa and then going right (off track totally) to make a pass.

wasn't expecting much this morning, but i can't remember a worse race in a long time

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:20 pm 

Blake wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

:lol:
And some say F1 is boring... :lol:

I wished Ricciardo a very good result, but the penalties are correct, unfortunately.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:04 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Hamilton has got past his customary slow start to the season, game over for this year.

Nice to see McLaren get 6th and win the formula 1.5 race too, hopefully this truly is the resurgence now.

Well Danny got bumped back but it was a strong weekend for both Renault, and McLaren. I am hoping that they both can be up there pestering the Honda powered Red Bulls by the end of the season.

I would love to see Verstappen and Horner have to contend with Renault powered cars.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:50 pm 

Hamilton has an opinion about Ricciardo penalties:

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/4130 ... a-penalty/

Hamilton then came out in defence of Ricciardo, a move made all the more intriguing as the Mercedes man seemed resolute in his opinion that Sebastian Vettel had deserved a five-second penalty for a not entirely dissimilar transgression in Canada a fortnight prior – Hamilton benefitting with a race win as a result of the Ferrari's fate.

"This is not a penalty," Hamilton posted to Instagram. "You can't see the car alongside and he just gave him more than enough space but was ahead going in."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:55 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:

Hamilton then came out in defence of Ricciardo, a move made all the more intriguing as the Mercedes man seemed resolute in his opinion that Sebastian Vettel had deserved a five-second penalty for a not entirely dissimilar transgression in Canada a fortnight prior – Hamilton benefitting with a race win as a result of the Ferrari's fate.

"This is not a penalty," Hamilton posted to Instagram. "You can't see the car alongside and he just gave him more than enough space but was ahead going in."

It's actually completely dissimilar...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:02 pm 

Everything else aside Ricciardo did complete his overtake by going off track so that's a slam dunk penalty.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:06 pm 

I have no issue with a penalty for the pass, but I'm not sure about the second one. Yes, he left the circuit, but I see no advantage when it's a straight.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:37 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
I have no issue with a penalty for the pass, but I'm not sure about the second one. Yes, he left the circuit, but I see no advantage when it's a straight.

Well I guess from Kimi's point of view he would think he completely blocked the inside line.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:41 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Everything else aside Ricciardo did complete his overtake by going off track so that's a slam dunk penalty.

Yeah it's a penalty without question.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:44 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Well I guess from Kimi's point of view he would think he completely blocked the inside line.

Yep, Kimi defended the inside line, as he is entitled to if he is ahead. RIC gained an advantage by driving off track and round him on the inside, which he is not entitled to do.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:46 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Yes, that's the reason I'm not sure about it. Problem is, I don't like the fact that you can simply block in a slower car. It's a tricky one really.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:48 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Hamilton has got past his customary slow start to the season, game over for this year.

Nice to see McLaren get 6th and win the formula 1.5 race too, hopefully this truly is the resurgence now.

Well Danny got bumped back but it was a strong weekend for both Renault, and McLaren. I am hoping that they both can be up there pestering the Honda powered Red Bulls by the end of the season.

I would love to see Verstappen and Horner have to contend with Renault powered cars.

Yes, I agree with that view, the top 3 could become the top 4 or 5!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:49 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Yes, that's the reason I'm not sure about it. Problem is, I don't like the fact that you can simply block in a slower car. It's a tricky one really.

Did he completely block Riccardo? There appeared to be plenty of room on the outside.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:50 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

You can move once to defend your position from a faster car attempting to overtake as long as you don't crowd them off track. You may not like it but it's a pretty well established rule.

The steward's reasoning is actually really clear and well written:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:10 pm 

I know you can block and it's within the rules, but no, I don't like it. Regarding today, Kimi's block failed and using a dusty bit of track that was not a shortcut seemed a cool thing to do!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:15 pm 

He should have got another 5 seconds for unsafe return to the circuit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:17 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
I know you can block and it's within the rules, but no, I don't like it. Regarding today, Kimi's block failed and using a dusty bit of track that was not a shortcut seemed a cool thing to do!

Kimi didn't block you have one move to defend your position which he did!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:25 pm 

Rockie wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Jesus Christ! This place is getting bloody frustrating.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:29 pm 

Rockie wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

AW, Kimi's block didn't fail, Rockie's correct.
I wouldn't be surprised if Kimi were to say he was aware Ricciardo would get a penalty for overtaking off-track, and therefore could go left again to defend against Hülkenberg.
One thing the rules don't make clear, is the single move, if you're up against two successive cars. Kimi ran an exemplary race as far as I'm concerned.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:32 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:

In general I agree with you, I don't like this practice of physically blocking with the car with a late manoeuvre to force the driver behind to hit the brakes. Any defensive move on a straight needs to be made early, it's basically supposed to be a means to force the attacking driver to the other side of the track rather than an actual blocking move.

However I don't think that is what Raikkonen did in this instance. All he was doing was covering the inside and Ricciardo had plenty of opportunity to switch to the left hand side, but instead he decided to drive off it altogether. A fair penalty if you ask me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:35 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

That's kinda inevitable if you don't like/disagree with a fairly basic and fundamental rule of a sport you are watching (and then discussing).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:39 pm 

wolfticket wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

That's kinda inevitable if you don't like/disagree with a fairly basic and fundamental rule of a sport you are watching (and then discussing).

No, it's down to use of a language. The fact that you can move once to cover a line is the same as saying you are blocking a car coming past on a particular line. At no point did I say what Kimi did wasn't in the rules. At no point have I said Kimi was wrong. I bloody love Kimi too. He's one of my favourite drivers ever and I've been watching since the mid 80's.

Anyway, if you watch the replay of it, Kimi doesn't even really make a move to block. He comes out on the racing line and sticks to the right had side. Again, before someone grabs me by the throat, it was all within the rules!

Jeepers!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:41 pm 

Fiki wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

AW, Kimi's block didn't fail, Rockie's correct.
I wouldn't be surprised if Kimi were to say he was aware Ricciardo would get a penalty for overtaking off-track, and therefore could go left again to defend against Hülkenberg.
One thing the rules don't make clear, is the single move, if you're up against two successive cars. Kimi ran an exemplary race as far as I'm concerned.

My point was that I was in agreement with the line Kimi drove and simply used a different English word to point this out!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:33 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
To think there are F1 fans that try to make fun of FE even after watching these snoozefests

FE is rubbish compared to F1, the tracks they race on for a start are a joke.

F1 is currently delivering one of the worst products in motor racing right now. FE is not - genuine entertainment every race. The 2019 F1 season is absolute pants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:43 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Another silly penalty, followed procedure, still got penalised for not being disadvantaged enough.

Perez passed 2 cars so the penalty was warranted.

Question is after passing around the outside of the bollard, did he have to wait for Magnussen to pass through? FIA has said cars have to take the long route around the bollard but if the trajectory of that route is shorter or faster, it's not Checo's fault.

I would question if he really need to take that route, he seemed to make that decision even before he went off the track which may in part explain why he managed to pass 2 cars, he made a mistake when he locked up and then immediately steered left for the escape route, I think he might have been able to stay on the track or just run wide slightly but I guess that would have cost him positions?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:50 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Blake wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Indy Car tonight people, at the stunningly impressive Road America circuit. Just sayin'.

Unfortunately, I will have to record it and watch later. Gotta be better than what we are seeing here.

Well it's best to record it so you can fast forward through all the adverts. :)

Well, they don't go to that many in the UK coverage.

No not as in America but even then when the Americans go to adverts we are left watching the cars with no commentators, also we still have to watch plugs for upcoming programs and from the local sponsors, it makes you wonder if the racing is so exciting why they miss out about a third of the race?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:53 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Blake wrote:
pokerman wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
Unfortunately this season is a write-off. It’s a guarantee that tomorrow will be boring.

Speak for yourself.

You don't think this race is boring up to this point? Seriously?

I suspect King is speaking for several fans today.

I posted that before the race started, even so no I didn't find it boring, there are many things I take from watching a F1 race, for me it's multi-layered.

Normally I'd agree with the multi-layered view of F1. Sadly though, today it was one think layer of pretty much nothing for all but a couple of laps, one being the opening one which is entertaining at every circuit.

Like I say I get more than just what you call entertainment, the kind of entertainment you might find in Indycars or FE which is fine but doen't get me engrossed like F1.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:55 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
pokerman wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
magnussen has overall been terrible the last 2 weekends. he took soo many laps to get past a williams despite pitting for new tyres.

Its the car.

Last weekend, It was his fault that he wrecked his car and the fact it wasn't great to drive the next day. It is also to do with him that he did worse than Grosjean in the first stint. I'm pretty sure Grosjean passes 1 or 2 quicker cars. And it took him ages to pass the Williams. My point is that I think Mangnussen has been especially poor, and for the reason's i'm giving, I don't think it is the car. But i do think that the car isn't good at the moment yes. Not good enough for points. But both drivers are making the car look worse than it is. And although it really doesn't look like it from the points, I think i could now possibly say that Grosjean has overall had a slightly better season than Magnussen.

Grosjean wasn't going to get into the points either and has for the season KMag has more points and is beating Grosjean in qualifying.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:57 pm 

Blake wrote:
pokerman wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Blake wrote:
So now Lewis is a "multiple five time World Champion"....
;)

They are clowns!

OMG!

How could they do that to the English language! 8O

Yeah I must be missing something, maybe over prasing Hamilton? :?

I think that if you re-read what was said you would understand the error. I don't believe that Lewis has won 5 WDCs MULTIPLE times...having done it once is quite impressive enough. Ie... He IS a multiple WDC winner and he indeed IS a 5x WDC, but he is NOT a multiple 5x WDC. He has done it just one time. If he wins five more WDCs, then he will be what they said.
:)

I still don't understand the put down just for poor grammar?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:02 am 

sandman1347 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Not one, but two five second time penalties for Ricciardo so he finishes P11

Harsh but deserved IMO. He really went overboard there at the end. People don't even try stuff like that in video games.

I know that Ricciardo is a likeable character but his driving sometimes is little more than oafish.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:05 am 

Lt. Drebin wrote:

Totally disagree with Hamilton.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:07 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Yep that's why he drove along the white line, he saw that as the edge of the track which of course it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:09 am 

Asphalt_World wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

No not at all you can pick one side of the track to defend then it was for Ricciardo to try and pass on the other left hand side.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:11 am 

Rockie wrote:
He should have got another 5 seconds for unsafe return to the circuit.

Well I guess they viewed that as all one incident with Norris?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.