planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:13 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:13 am 

mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
To think there are F1 fans that try to make fun of FE even after watching these snoozefests

FE is rubbish compared to F1, the tracks they race on for a start are a joke.

F1 is currently delivering one of the worst products in motor racing right now. FE is not - genuine entertainment every race. The 2019 F1 season is absolute pants

How many people watch FE compared to F1?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:27 am 

pokerman wrote:
Blake wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Yeah I must be missing something, maybe over prasing Hamilton? :?

I think that if you re-read what was said you would understand the error. I don't believe that Lewis has won 5 WDCs MULTIPLE times...having done it once is quite impressive enough. Ie... He IS a multiple WDC winner and he indeed IS a 5x WDC, but he is NOT a multiple 5x WDC. He has done it just one time. If he wins five more WDCs, then he will be what they said.
:)

I still don't understand the put down just for poor grammar?

Of course you don't. You are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. The broadcaster made an error, a funny error, I posted it...The so-called "put down". And now it becomes another damn lightning rod. How dare I? I didn't single out the announcer by name. I didn't continue to rag on the broadcast team and didn't post on it again until after the forum "all-defensive team" started taking me to task for posting what was an inaccurate comment made by the broadcast team, at which point I had to explain why the quote was an error for those, such as yourself, who initially who could not see it. IE in order for Lewis to be a "multiple 5x WDC, he would then need to have at least 10 WDCs.

And there is you, poker, again seeing nearly everything I post as some kind of slight against Lewis Hamilton, which it was not. It was NOT me seeing it as "over praising Hamilton" as you suggested. I would have laughed at the comment just as much had the announcer said that Schumi was a "multiple 7x WDC" or Seb a "multiple 4x WDC". NOW can we let the matter lie as I suggested earlier, but you couldn't let it go?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:15 am 

Personally I didn't much like the French grand prix. Watching cars drive round within painted lines on a car park of tarmac doesn't do it for me.

I don't know how anyone could watch the Road America Indycar race yesterday evening after the French Grand Prix and say that F1 is currently offering a good product.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:18 am 

pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
To think there are F1 fans that try to make fun of FE even after watching these snoozefests

F1 is currently delivering one of the worst products in motor racing right now. FE is not - genuine entertainment every race. The 2019 F1 season is absolute pants

That's not remotely relevant. How many people listen to Justin Bieber over Joy Division? Quantity =/= quality

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:20 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Personally I didn't much like the French grand prix. Watching cars drive round within painted lines on a car park of tarmac doesn't do it for me.

I don't know how anyone could watch the Road America Indycar race yesterday evening after the French Grand Prix and say that F1 is currently offering a good product.

I take it Indycar no longer visit the airport where they raced up and down the run ways? That was Paul Ricard without the coloring in.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:33 am 

shoot999 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I take it Indycar no longer visit the airport where they raced up and down the run ways? That was Paul Ricard without the coloring in.

... and it produced excellent races!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:49 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Another silly penalty, followed procedure, still got penalised for not being disadvantaged enough.

Perez passed 2 cars so the penalty was warranted.

Question is after passing around the outside of the bollard, did he have to wait for Magnussen to pass through? FIA has said cars have to take the long route around the bollard but if the trajectory of that route is shorter or faster, it's not Checo's fault.

Trouble is, the rules state that you must not leave the circuit and gain a lasting advantage. Even by taking the 'long' route he passed two cars. That seems like more of a problem with the supposed long route than with the rules.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:32 am 

tootsie323 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Another silly penalty, followed procedure, still got penalised for not being disadvantaged enough.

Question is after passing around the outside of the bollard, did he have to wait for Magnussen to pass through? FIA has said cars have to take the long route around the bollard but if the trajectory of that route is shorter or faster, it's not Checo's fault.

Trouble is, the rules state that you must not leave the circuit and gain a lasting advantage. Even by taking the 'long' route he passed two cars. That seems like more of a problem with the supposed long route than with the rules.

English language problem again perhaps, how can the long route be shorter, we need to redefine long or reroute the run off of course.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:38 am 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

So there we have it. Miles of concrete is not a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:40 am 

The track and rules aren’t bad per se, the problem with yesterday’s race was that for most of the race the cars were in speed order.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:52 am 

shoot999 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Quite honestly it just looks bad and takes away an element of jeopardy that could spark an interesting race. The layout of the track itself I quite like.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:11 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Quite honestly it just looks bad and takes away an element of jeopardy that could spark an interesting race. The layout of the track itself I quite like.

I don't disagree. But we have just had Canada, and now Austria, UK, Germany, Hungary, Spa, Monza, Singapore, and so on. In the future races only Russia and AD could be labelled 'meh'. I don't see the F1 tracks in general being a poor product. And I suspect the F1 calendar has a lot more going for it than Indycars. Not every track is Road America or Indy.
And in the scheme of things i think I would be happy to lose Russia or AD before thinking about scrapping Ricard.
Given technology these days maybe they can turn the strips into virtual grass and gravel traps for the TV audience? :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:18 am 

shoot999 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
shoot999 wrote:

I don't disagree. But we have just had Canada, and now Austria, UK, Germany, Hungary, Spa, Monza, Singapore, and so on. In the future races only Russia and AD could be labelled 'meh'. I don't see the F1 tracks in general being a poor product. And I suspect the F1 calendar has a lot more going for it than Indycars. Not every track is Road America or Indy.
And in the scheme of things i think I would be happy to lose Russia or AD before thinking about scrapping Ricard.
Given technology these days maybe they can turn the strips into virtual grass and gravel traps for the TV audience? :D

Yeah, I agree with you really. It's just the comparison yesterday was not a good one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:00 pm 

mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:

That's not remotely relevant. How many people listen to Justin Bieber over Joy Division? Quantity =/= quality

I wouldn't be a fan of either throw in some Iron Maiden for me, FE is hardly quality, I read how much better these other series are but F1 has by far the biggest fan base.

Last edited by pokerman on Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:05 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:

English language problem again perhaps, how can the long route be shorter, we need to redefine long or reroute the run off of course.

Well supposedly it took longer but when you make an early decision to bale out of the corner and then just floor it towards the long route then I guess not, they clearly need to revise it for next year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:26 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I wouldn't be a fan of either throw in some Iron Maiden for me, FE is hardly quality, I read how much better these other series are but F1 has by far the biggest fan base.

Quantity is the weakest argument in reference to quality. Beyonce > Iron Maiden because she has more Grammys. Garth Brooks > Iron Maiden because he has sold more records and has more fans

The fact that the world's primary motorsport series, which has existed since 1950, has a substantially larger viewership than a contentious series that started 5 years ago shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. It is not a relevant argument towards the quality of the product that F1 is providing. The races have, by and large, been snoozes. At one stage yesterday we had Crofty pondering average driver head height in the cockpit. In the middle of a Grand Prix. He had completely run out of interesting things to talk about

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:42 pm 

mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Quantity is the weakest argument in reference to quality. Beyonce > Iron Maiden because she has more Grammys. Garth Brooks > Iron Maiden because he has sold more records and has more fans

The fact that the world's primary motorsport series, which has existed since 1950, has a substantially larger viewership than a contentious series that started 5 years ago shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. It is not a relevant argument towards the quality of the product that F1 is providing. The races have, by and large, been snoozes. At one stage yesterday we had Crofty pondering average driver head height in the cockpit. In the middle of a Grand Prix. He had completely run out of interesting things to talk about

Is Croft actually a fan of F1, his actual knowledge of F1 is comical to say the least, he asked a question during the race that was quite embarrassing showing how little he actually knows.

Back to the numbers game it's this that determines which is going to be more successful so in that respect F1 is winning easily, it's strange how the F1 fans that complain that the hybrids don't make enough noise are going to convert to FE.

F1 is the pinnacle because in part it has the fastest cars compared to FE cars that are slower than F3 cars, also it has so many layers to it that FE doesn't have just the entertainment of the race itself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:57 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Is Croft actually a fan of F1, his actual knowledge of F1 is comical to say the least, he asked a question during the race that was quite embarrassing showing how little he actually knows.

Back to the numbers game it's this that determines which is going to be more successful so in that respect F1 is winning easily, it's strange how the F1 fans that complain that the hybrids don't make enough noise are going to convert to FE.

F1 is the pinnacle because in part it has the fastest cars compared to FE cars that are slower than F3 cars, also it has so many layers to it that FE doesn't have just the entertainment of the race itself.

There's pros and cons for both. I think both can coexist quite nicely.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:58 pm 

Johnson wrote:
The track and rules aren’t bad per se, the problem with yesterday’s race was that for most of the race the cars were in speed order.
Which, with today's levels of reliability, is exactly what we should expect. Cue another thread on things to make F1 more interesting.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:05 pm 

tootsie323 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:

I think on the first few corners its hard to gauge exactly where you were.

If only there was grass instead of asphalt.

Car #36 - Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:55 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:

You're gone so far off the topic. Who in the hell has mentioned engine noise? What relevance does that have to the topic at hand?

Yesterday's race was crap. That's relevant. China was crap. Baku was crap. Spain was crap. I quite liked Australia and loved Monaco but the vast majority didn't. Canada was decided by a penalty. Bahrain was decided by a failure. And they were the best races of the year :uhoh:

Formula E absolutely does not deliver this many crap races in a typical season. I would go as far as to say every single FE race this season has been better than China, Baku, Spain and France

You're being spoonfed faeces and sitting there with it dribbling down your chin telling me that it's the best meal in the kitchen because it has the highest mineral content and everyone else is eating it too

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:05 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:

There's pros and cons for both. I think both can coexist quite nicely.

Indeed but I could never envisage FE being a s big as F1.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:09 pm 

mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:

You're gone so far off the topic. Who in the hell has mentioned engine noise? What relevance does that have to the topic at hand?

Yesterday's race was crap. That's relevant. China was crap. Baku was crap. Spain was crap. I quite liked Australia and loved Monaco but the vast majority didn't. Canada was decided by a penalty. Bahrain was decided by a failure. And they were the best races of the year :uhoh:

Formula E absolutely does not deliver this many crap races in a typical season. I would go as far as to say every single FE race this season has been better than China, Baku, Spain and France

You're being spoonfed faeces and sitting there with it dribbling down your chin telling me that it's the best meal in the kitchen because it has the highest mineral content and everyone else is eating it too

If you're going to have a rant about going off topic then stop infiltrating the thread with talk about FE and how it's so much better than F1.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:38 pm 

Johnson wrote:

Precisely this. Even with cars that could easily follow and pass each other the top five would not have played out any differently. They were never anywhere near other the whole race aside from after Bottas' loss of concentration after the VSC.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:16 am 

Try to stay on topic please guys.

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:28 am 

Back to the race.

Just watched the race again.
Honestly, what was the Ferrari plan to get Vettel past Verstappen.

After Vettel passed Sainz he was consistently faster than Verstappen and had closed the gap from 8.5 secs to 3 secs when Max pitted.
At this point Seb carried on for another 5 laps and lost time to Verstappen.
What I don't understand is this.
When Seb came out 5 secs behind he just continued to lose time to Max and only sped up when he was told he was on plan F and to push.
Why wasn't he already pushing?

Did Ferrari just settle for 5th and a fastest lap point or am I missing something?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:29 am 

Maybe I'm just weird, but the red and blue stripes were so visually distracting that I had serious trouble focusing on the cars. Ended up just listening to the race.

I totally forgot about last years race thinking this was the return to France, and well, was pretty forgettable this time around as well :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:39 am 

Lord Crc wrote:
Maybe I'm just weird, but the red and blue stripes were so visually distracting that I had serious trouble focusing on the cars. Ended up just listening to the race.

I totally forgot about last years race thinking this was the return to France, and well, was pretty forgettable this time around as well :(

I'm sure with last years race there was quite a few overtakes going into the chicane at the end of straight aided by a head wind, it was one of the better races last year.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:23 pm 

pokerman wrote:
I'm sure with last years race there was quite a few overtakes going into the chicane at the end of straight aided by a head wind, it was one of the better races last year.

Ah, of course. Forgot I was on vacation, so watched 3 races in short order when I got home. Not ideal for recalling. In any event, this time it was rather unexciting, at least for me since I couldn't really watch it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:37 pm 

on to Austria

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.