planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:17 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:04 pm 

pokerman wrote:
I don't know were Hamilton pulled that lap from he looked panicky poor throughout qualifying, now wait for the stewards, Kimi still got through Q1, I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not?
It doesn't, and it shouldn't.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:05 pm 

Hamilton has to get a 3-place drop for the integrity of stewarding and the sport as a whole.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:06 pm 

pokerman wrote:
I don't know were Hamilton pulled that lap from he looked panicky poor throughout qualifying, now wait for the stewards, Kimi still got through Q1, I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not?

It does not.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:07 pm 

Can't someone say something nice about Verstappen ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:07 pm 

Congratulations to Charles for his second pole! I predicted he would pole and win here, so the first part of that prediction is done.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:08 pm 

Greenman wrote:

Can't someone say something nice about Verstappen ?

He's got his speed genes from his Belgian mum. Nice enough? :D

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

Last edited by Fiki on Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:08 pm 

Verstappen pulled out a great lap. I think putting it in 3rd is enough said. Waiting to see RB back consistently in the front.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:09 pm 

I expect the Hamilton penalty unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:12 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
I have to say, I am warming to Charles, not just as a driver but as a person, more and more each race. Seem's a great guy.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:13 pm 

Not sure a Hamilton penalty is as clear cut as people are claiming. It's not as if he was dawdling on the racing line not paying attention, which is normally the sort of thing that would be penalised. You can see he's made a genuine attempt to stay out of the way and then been caught out by Kimi not catching him until the apex of the corner, at which point he's driven off the track completely to get out of the way. Kimi was impeded, but I wouldn't say Hamilton's driving was sufficiently negligent to warrant a penalty.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:13 pm 

Qualy done:

Source - https://scontent.fbom16-1.fna.fbcdn.net ... e=5D840B58

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:14 pm 

Great job from Charles, he has been on it all weekend. Two weekends in a row where he seemed to have Vettel covered.

Having seen it again I think Hamilton should get a penalty for the Raikkonen incident. He did a good job to put it P2 in the end after it seeming like Bottas had the edge over him.

Verstappen splits the Mercs whilst Gasly is out qualified by both Alfa Romeos :blush: it does not look good for him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:16 pm 

bourbon19 wrote:
Verstappen pulled out a great lap. I think putting it in 3rd is enough said. Waiting to see RB back consistently in the front.

If RB don't give him a car good enough by Hungary to win, his exit clause gets activated.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:16 pm 

j man wrote:
Not sure a Hamilton penalty is as clear cut as people are claiming. It's not as if he was dawdling on the racing line not paying attention, which is normally the sort of thing that would be penalised. You can see he's made a genuine attempt to stay out of the way and then been caught out by Kimi not catching him until the apex of the corner, at which point he's driven off the track completely to get out of the way. Kimi was impeded, but I wouldn't say Hamilton's driving was sufficiently negligent to warrant a penalty.

Fair points, its 50/50 due to that but no complaints if he does get one.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:17 pm 

F1Tyrant wrote:
Hamilton has to get a 3-place drop for the integrity of stewarding and the sport as a whole.

Ridiculous line of thinking

That said I reckon he will get a penalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:17 pm 

Yesterday Vettel was 13/2 and Le Clerc 8/1 for pole so thought I would have a little flutter on each as couldn't see a Mercedes pole. Glad I did!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:18 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:

If RB don't give him a car good enough by Hungary to win, his exit clause gets activated.

What does this mean though? How do you define a car good enough to win?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:18 pm 

A gripe I have is why they can't investigate the blocking incidents during the session. Do they really need to hear from the drivers on that?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:19 pm 

JN23 wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:
Ah well, now Vettel will have the choice of tyre. But the softs it will likely be anyway starting in 10.

Nope, he got to Q3 so he'll have to start on the softs he used in Q2.

Yeah that wrote like middle of the night, which it is here. But I was thinking Ferrari may have some major work to do, then it'll be out of the gate and then he'll have a choice of tyre from the back.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:20 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:

Where is he going to go?

JN23 wrote:
A gripe I have is why they can't investigate the blocking incidents during the session. Do they really need to hear from the drivers on that?

They didn't give Vettel a chance to speak 2 weeks ago before making a bad call. The whole stewarding system needs revamped. At this point people just want consistency, but I'd rather it go the other way, where things like this don't get penalized. But since we don't have that, I want fairness.

Last edited by bourbon19 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:21 pm 

congrats Leclerc on his second pole :]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:27 pm 

That Canada decision is going to finish off what is already a dead beat season.

Since the stewards have to be consistent now, that has got to be a 3 place grid penalty just like Vettel v Sainz at same track last year, whether the driver impeded got through or not.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:29 pm 

bourbon19 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:

Where is he going to go?

JN23 wrote:

They didn't give Vettel a chance to speak 2 weeks ago before making a bad call. The whole stewarding system needs revamped. At this point people just want consistency, but I'd rather it go the other way, where things like this don't get penalized. But since we don't have that, I want fairness.

He'll be with RB ofcourse in 2019 but he can be available for Mercedes/Ferrari in 2020.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:33 pm 

JN23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:

How close has Verstappen been to winning this season? RB may be a good chassis but Honda still can improve. Verstappen is slowly but surely get frustrated. His manager had said the goal was Verstappen to become the youngest ever world champion. I doubt this will be possible in a Red Bull car.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:39 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
JN23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:

How close has Verstappen been to winning this season? RB may be a good chassis but Honda still can improve. Verstappen is slowly but surely get frustrated. His manager had said the goal was Verstappen to become the youngest ever world champion. I doubt this will be possible in a Red Bull car.

He hasn't been close, so I agree that this apparent exit clause will be activated. It's just very subjective as to how you define a car good enough to win.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:45 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
JN23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:

Well he had a huge head start over his competition, one that no other driver will have again under the current rules. Nonetheless, he has 2 years left, so he may do it, if Charles does not beat him to it. However, in the up and down Ferrari, I don't think that would be possible.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:47 pm 

JN23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
JN23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:

He hasn't been close, so I agree that this apparent exit clause will be activated. It's just very subjective as to how you define a car good enough to win.

I bet according to Verstappen if he can win on merit, his car is good enough.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:53 pm 

Mercedes did not look strong today, I guess track having less corner definitely helped Ferrari. Things not working for Vettel. It would be nice to see him race Charles. Hamilton should get penalty. I wonder since Kimi qualified from Q1 might just save him ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:57 pm 

Rockie wrote:

Since the stewards have to be consistent now, that has got to be a 3 place grid penalty just like Vettel v Sainz at same track last year, whether the driver impeded got through or not.

Vettel and Sainz was completely different, Vettel was going slow on the racing line in the middle of turn 1. Sainz nearly rear ended him at high speed and had to leave the track to avoid hitting him.

Both may be a penalty, but they certainly are different.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:31 pm 

Russell gets 3 place grid penalty for impeding Kvyat.
https://formulaspy.com/formula-1/kvyat-relieved-avoid-russell-collision-62353

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:48 pm 

Johnson wrote:
Rockie wrote:

Vettel and Sainz was completely different, Vettel was going slow on the racing line in the middle of turn 1. Sainz nearly rear ended him at high speed and had to leave the track to avoid hitting him.

Both may be a penalty, but they certainly are different.

Same thing slow moving driver on the racing line, because Raikkonen slowed down dont make it different.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:49 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:

That's interesting that confirms my understanding that he had some kind of exit clause for next season.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:49 pm 

It should be noted that Vettel was not even warned about Sainz last year and still got a penalty. Hamilton was warned multiple times about Raikkonen.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:50 pm 

JN23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:

A car good enough to win on merit I would have thought?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:51 pm 

bourbon19 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:
Ah well, now Vettel will have the choice of tyre. But the softs it will likely be anyway starting in 10.

Nope, he got to Q3 so he'll have to start on the softs he used in Q2.

Yeah that wrote like middle of the night, which it is here. But I was thinking Ferrari may have some major work to do, then it'll be out of the gate and then he'll have a choice of tyre from the back.

He can only use different tyres if he starts from the pit lane.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:54 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
It should be noted that Vettel was not even warned about Sainz last year and still got a penalty. Hamilton was warned multiple times about Raikkonen.

Hence why Hamilton slowed right down and moved out of the way. However he then reached the next corner before Raikkonen passed him and ended up stuck on the inside with nowhere to go. I don't really see what Hamilton did wrong, it was just unfortunate timing of when Raikkonen caught up to him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:55 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:

Where is he going to go?

JN23 wrote:

He'll be with RB ofcourse in 2019 but he can be available for Mercedes/Ferrari in 2020.

Only Mercedes both Ferrari drivers are under contract for next season.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:59 pm 

Source - www.imgur.com

Source - www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:01 pm 

j man wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Hence why Hamilton slowed right down and moved out of the way. However he then reached the next corner before Raikkonen passed him and ended up stuck on the inside with nowhere to go. I don't really see what Hamilton did wrong, it was just unfortunate timing of when Raikkonen caught up to him.

Then he should have slowed down more when he was on the straight.

I mean, he was 100% in control of his car. It’s not that difficult.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:02 pm 

Hamilton gets 3 place grid penalty. Will start 5th.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/40317/breaking-lewis-hamilton-receives-grid-penalty-in-austria-.html