planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:15 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:52 am 

Shocking development & totally unexpected

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144362/lowe-finally-leaves-williams-after-lengthy-absence

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 351 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:36 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
Shocking development & totally unexpected

Why would this be shocking that he has finally left? It was totally expected that he wouldn't be coming back from this. You don't just have a random unplanned absence like this related to severe poor performance of the car and then expect that person to come back a few months later and get on with things. He was never coming back, the only surprise is how it's taken so long to officially confirm his full departure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:58 pm 

I feel like Jezza forgot to put the ;) emoji after his statement.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:37 pm 

Unexpected? It was the most expected outcome.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:23 pm 

What is shocking and surprising is how badly Paddy Lowe screwed up with Williams Car. Maybe Kubica and Lowe should swap positions!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:58 am 

Ruste13 wrote:
I feel like Jezza forgot to put the ;) emoji after his statement.

Yeah I guess the right emoji can be important to highlight context.

No it wasn't a shock nor was it unexpected.

I do wonder if that's the last we'll see of Paddy in F1 or will we see him back in some capacity.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 351 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:33 am 

Personally I don't think the fault of the design of the car lays with Paddy Lowe entirely. You don't become a rubbish designer over night, having designed championship winning Mercedes and Mclaren's in the recent past he's clearly good at his job.

There are deeper problems at Williams, and he's gone because he saw issues they don't want to address, wanted more power, or wasn't given the opportunity to make the changes that he felt necessary.

It'll be interesting to see how things progress there but I really do think the problems start with Claire Williams being the wrong person to lead the team

Please tweet me> @PG-F1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:45 am 

Looking at Williams F1's headcount, they have no less than the sixth largest budget in F1. The return on that outlay is absolutely nothing, thanks to their bring your daughter to work policy. Maybe it is bad karma from when they arrogantly used their strength to make the most indifferent legacy drivers imaginable into world champions.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:23 am 

Todd wrote:
Looking at Williams F1's headcount, they have no less than the sixth largest budget in F1. The return on that outlay is absolutely nothing, thanks to their bring your daughter to work policy. Maybe it is bad karma from when they arrogantly used their strength to make the most indifferent legacy drivers imaginable into world champions.

Veering slightly off-topic here but, by indifferent legacy drivers, might I assume that you're referring to Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve? Whilst I'd agree that they might not be considered as F1 all-time greats, it's a little harsh isn't it? Damon did a sterling job of carrying the team in 1994 following the Senna tragedy and Villeneuve came in as Indycar champion with a lot of promise. What happened after their respective championship years could not necessarily have been foreseen.
If my assumption is incorrect, apologies, and what a waste of words!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:36 am 

foolishyouth wrote:
It'll be interesting to see how things progress there but I really do think the problems start with Claire Williams being the wrong person to lead the team

It's always easy to blame the person at the head of the organization, but it's rarely so simple. Look at Ferrari; no matter how many people go to the chopping block, the endemic issues of terrible strategy calls and dubious in-season development persist. I think there's a very good case that Claire should step down by this point whether it's actually her fault or not, but I'd be surprised if things turned around quickly afterward. Something is, unfortunately, deeply sick within that team right now.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017