planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:11 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:32 pm 

I hope the win stands.

Great race, decent result.(This coming from a longtime Tifosy.)

I think it's up in the air because of the contact. If there were NO contact, it would be a slam dunk. No penalty. But the contact muddies the water.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:39 pm 

5 second penalty apparently. Right decision

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:40 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
Bacus wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Serious question here.

If you're going down a straight and a car gets just a tiny bit in front of you, say 1 meter, can that slightly leading car move across and push you off the circuit or do they have to leave you room?

Its just different in straight line, there are no lateral forces (duhh), you don't alterate your speed by changing your line.
So that situation is clearly ...wrong.

Is your repetitive use of duhh an attempt to make me out to have some kind of learning disorder or are you simply rude?

I wasn't talking about lateral forces or acceleration. I was talking about rules and like I said earlier, Max chose when to accelerate and perhaps he choose a fraction too early.

The same rules 'should' apply to corners as they do on straights. It is all just a ribbon of tarmac at the end of the day and you aren't allowed to hit each other no matter where your cars are on the course. A straight is just an unbent corner and a corner is just a bent straight.

If on the previous lap you look from above at how the two drivers navigate turn three. Then you take that ribbon of track and unbend it back out into a 'straight', you will see that both drivers movements going through turn three respect the rules of racing on straights, they squeezed each other but left room.

However on the subsequent lap if you look from above and unbend turn three back out into a 'straight' you will see that Max just swerves across on the straight while Leclerc is alongside. Completely wrong driving and Max would be punished were he to do that on a real straight, so he should also be punished when swerving into someone on a corner too, as they are both just ribbons of tarmac.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:43 pm 

sidders wrote:
5 second penalty apparently. Right decision

Fake FIA document apparently... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:44 pm 

No real sources have confirmed anything on Twitter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:59 pm 

What a race that was! Best race of the year!

For Max, that was probably the most impressive performance of his career thus far. He came back from the adversity of a poor start and just chipped away at the cars in front of him. On that Hard tire he was absolutely flying! I was amazed that the Red Bull didn't seem to struggle at all with the heat and the increased wear. He made solid passes and I will be upset if he is penalized for that move on Charles. For me that was a totally fair pass. It's disturbing to see a driver lap his own teammate in a race where neither had a collision and where there was no safety car period. It's a testament to how strong Max was today but also a testament to how poor Gasly is performing. Red Bull should be concerned because I think they had the car to beat in the race.

For Charles, this will be disappointing and I'd be interested to see exactly what the team were telling him as Max made his charge late in the race. It seemed like he upped his pace only after Max got around Sebastian; which, for me, suggests he could have built a larger lead prior to Verstappen getting into clean air. One thing is for certain, the Ferrari did not have the pace late in that race to keep Max behind. A P2 finish is a career best though for Charles and I think he can view the weekend as a positive overall. For Vettel, it was less positive but to get that position from Hamilton at the end really salvaged a solid points haul for him. I think he did about as well as could be asked for considering the mechanical failure in Q3 yesterday but this weekend was one that goes to his young teammate in the matchup.

For Mercedes; this was an objectively poor race weekend. For Hamilton, this was the worst race he's had in ages. You'd have to go back to Mexico last year to find a worse performance over a weekend from Lewis and Mercedes and I think the hot temperatures are still a silver bullet for them. Bottas had an uneventful race but I think that P3 was the best he could hope for. Their pace was just nowhere close to the Ferrari or to the Red Bull and they spent the entire race lifting and coasting. No big deal though as they have the margin in the standings to absorb this defeat but definitely a low point in the season thus far.

Another excellent day for McLaren, who have well and truly taken the lead in the best of the rest category. Norris has been just brilliant and what a race by Sainz. To come from the back and finish so high up just shows you his quality. He has become a bit underrated IMO. For me, he's another Sergio Perez. Very solid. It was also nice to see the Alfas in the points.

Is F1 still in crisis or can we stop overreacting now?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:01 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
What a race that was! Best race of the year!

For Max, that was probably the most impressive performance of his career thus far. He came back from the adversity of a poor start and just chipped away at the cars in front of him. On that Hard tire he was absolutely flying! I was amazed that the Red Bull didn't seem to struggle at all with the heat and the increased wear. He made solid passes and I will be upset if he is penalized for that move on Charles. For me that was a totally fair pass. It's disturbing to see a driver lap his own teammate in a race where neither had a collision and where there was no safety car period. It's a testament to how strong Max was today but also a testament to how poor Gasly is performing. Red Bull should be concerned because I think they had the car to beat in the race.

For Charles, this will be disappointing and I'd be interested to see exactly what the team were telling him as Max made his charge late in the race. It seemed like he upped his pace only after Max got around Sebastian; which, for me, suggests he could have built a larger lead prior to Verstappen getting into clean air. One thing is for certain, the Ferrari did not have the pace late in that race to keep Max behind. A P2 finish is a career best though for Charles and I think he can view the weekend as a positive overall. For Vettel, it was less positive but to get that position from Hamilton at the end really salvaged a solid points haul for him. I think he did about as well as could be asked for considering the mechanical failure in Q3 yesterday but this weekend was one that goes to his young teammate in the matchup.

For Mercedes; this was an objectively poor race weekend. For Hamilton, this was the worst race he's had in ages. You'd have to go back to Mexico last year to find a worse performance over a weekend from Lewis and Mercedes and I think the hot temperatures are still a silver bullet for them. Bottas had an uneventful race but I think that P3 was the best he could hope for. Their pace was just nowhere close to the Ferrari or to the Red Bull and they spent the entire race lifting and coasting. No big deal though as they have the margin in the standings to absorb this defeat but definitely a low point in the season thus far.

Another excellent day for McLaren, who have well and truly taken the lead in the best of the rest category. Norris has been just brilliant and what a race by Sainz. To come from the back and finish so high up just shows you his quality. He has become a bit underrated IMO. For me, he's another Sergio Perez. Very solid. It was also nice to see the Alfas in the points.

The overreaction would be to say F1 isn’t in crisis based on one good race.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:03 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:

It just goes to show that all you really need is for the cars to be closely matched and able to overtake each other. Everything else is just tinkering around the edges.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:04 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
One thing is for certain, the Ferrari did not have the pace late in that race to keep Max behind.

Are you sure about that? If Max had raced fair, he didn't have the pace to pass CL. He only got ahead by bumping him off the circuit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:12 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
One thing is for certain, the Ferrari did not have the pace late in that race to keep Max behind.

Are you sure about that? If Max had raced fair, he didn't have the pace to pass CL. He only got ahead by bumping him off the circuit.

I thought it was a hard but fair pass personally. I know people don't like the rough stuff nowadays and I will understand if there is a penalty given (Charles was alongside him afterall) but I wouldn't give penalty there personally.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:16 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

I thought it was a hard but fair pass personally. I know people don't like the rough stuff nowadays and I will understand if there is a penalty given (Charles was alongside him afterall) but I wouldn't give penalty there personally.

Any move where there is contact is not a clean and correct pass. Now if the 'defending' driver causes the contact, like Schumacher in Jerez 1997 etc. then this is wrong. But if the 'attacking' driver causes contact like in this race it is just as bad.

If the pass isn't clean and there is contact, then at least one of the drivers has done something wrong. It is clear that CL has done nothing wrong here, so therefore Max must have been in the wrong for the contact to happen.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:19 pm 

chetan_rao wrote:
At least Vettel is consistent on drivers being left alone to race, when asked to comment.

Only because he's still bitter about Canada

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:23 pm 

FormulaFun wrote:
chetan_rao wrote:
At least Vettel is consistent on drivers being left alone to race, when asked to comment.

Only because he's still bitter about Canada

He said the same about Max on Kimi at Japan last year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:27 pm 

Regardless of the outcome, this is now beyond rediculous that nearly 3 hours after the chequered flag we don't know who won. Come on F1/FIA get this sorted.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:30 pm 

It will be very interesting going forward if this is punished. How often do we see exactly this move happen and go unpunished? Feels like there are multiple instances every weekend.

I'm catching up with the F3 race from earlier at the moment and I've seen the same thing at least 3 times with the driver on the inside taking the racing line and the driver on the outside running out of track. None have been investigated.

How will the stewards be able to justify not giving penalties every time this happens going forward if this gets a penalty? Could have massive implications for future F1/2/3 racing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:32 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Any move where there is contact is not a clean and correct pass. Now if the 'defending' driver causes the contact, like Schumacher in Jerez 1997 etc. then this is wrong. But if the 'attacking' driver causes contact like in this race it is just as bad.

If the pass isn't clean and there is contact, then at least one of the drivers has done something wrong. It is clear that CL has done nothing wrong here, so therefore Max must have been in the wrong for the contact to happen.

But does it warrant a penalty? I don't know. Maybe you're right. I just don't want to see the victory decided like that after such a great charge.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:38 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

But does it warrant a penalty? I don't know. Maybe you're right. I just don't want to see the victory decided like that after such a great charge.

Instead you’d prefer to see a driver lose the chance of his 1st win through being the victim of an illegal move?

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 351 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:38 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
It will be very interesting going forward if this is punished. How often do we see exactly this move happen and go unpunished? Feels like there are multiple instances every weekend.

I'm catching up with the F3 race from earlier at the moment and I've seen the same thing at least 3 times with the driver on the inside taking the racing line and the driver on the outside running out of track. None have been investigated.

How will the stewards be able to justify not giving penalties every time this happens going forward if this gets a penalty? Could have massive implications for future F1/2/3 racing.

It will have big implications to the improvement of racing if they penalise this and all subsequent occurrences.

You only need to look at how much better the racing was on the previous lap to the incident, than the racing was on the actual lap of the incident where we were robbed of seeing the drivers battle into turn four too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:39 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Some have commented that Verstappen's performance was Schumacher-esque - thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:43 pm 

I was at the track today and it was made up of about 75 percent crazy Dutch fans. My betting is they're waiting till the circuit closes at 8pm (in about twenty mins) and waiting for all the Verstappen fans to leave before announcing any penalty. Otherwise I can imagine them tearing the place apart!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:44 pm 

Invade wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:

Some have commented that Verstappen's performance was Schumacher-esque - thoughts?

It was Verstappen-esque. Not sure why anyone would bring Michael Schumacher in particular into a comparison. It was an exciting hard-charging race where he never gave up and managed to pull off the result at the end. Great performance but there's no need to create some bogus comparison. There are many drivers who have had performances like that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:45 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Invade wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:

It was Verstappen-esque. Not sure why anyone would bring Michael Schumacher in particular into a comparison. It was an exciting hard-charging race where he never gave up and managed to pull off the result at the end. Great performance but there's no need to create some bogus comparison. There are many drivers who have had performances like that.

My thoughts exactly. Couldn't agree more.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:46 pm 

Invade wrote:

Pace-wise, very Schumacher-esque.

Ability to win by crashing into your opponent, very Schumacher-esque.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:48 pm 

It's official, no penalty. This time for real!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:51 pm 

MarioUK wrote:

Ah! Happy to be wrong!

I am glad for this decision.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:51 pm 

So when will Ferrari appeal???

:twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:52 pm 

Good decision, did it really need to take this long though?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:53 pm 

MarioUK wrote:

Wow, drivers are allowed to keep doing what Max did today, it is a 'correct' way of forcing yourself past someone it seems.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:53 pm 

Invade wrote:
So when will Ferrari appeal???

:twisted: :twisted:

We'll see what Karun has to say.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:55 pm 

Source, please.

Good decision to conclude a great race.

I missed the post race broadcast. So who at Sky disagreed with Brundle about the incident? Or were they all preaching from the same hymn sheet?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:56 pm 

K.F. wrote:
Source, please.

F1 official Twitter has tweeted it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:59 pm 

Whilst I know passing like that has happened before, the sport has basically decided that if you attempt to pass by leaving enough room for your opponent but just fail, next time around you can knock into them and push them off track to make sure you complete the pass. It's shocking but not a surprise.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:02 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
Whilst I know passing like that has happened before, the sport has basically decided that if you attempt to pass by leaving enough room for your opponent but just fail, next time around you can knock into them and push them off track to make sure you complete the pass. It's shocking but not a surprise.

Yeah, this basically sums it up perfectly. It is scary how F1 is allowing this to stand, but politically they don't want to rob Verstappen of the narrative of a storming comeback drive to first place. It is disgusting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:03 pm 

Wrong decision imo and could set a dangerous precedent. Yes you want hard racing and overtaking but it also has to be fair which that wasn't

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:05 pm 

I have recorder the BTCC to watch later this week, it was on today too. I watch that because I enjoy door to door, wheel to wheel contact motorsport. Not banger racing, but leaning on other cars. That sport is built around such racing and always has been. F1, and other open wheeled series have never been about this.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:06 pm 

Leclerc should have a smile on his face once the dust settles. That win probably ticks the RB performance clause and keeps Max locked in at RB. So any talk of Max replacing Vettel should fade. And I think Leclerc believes he has the measure of Vettel at Ferrari.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:11 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
K.F. wrote:
Source, please.

F1 official Twitter has tweeted it.

OK. Thank you. Good decision, not suprising in Austria. Why did they deliberate so long?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:28 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
Leclerc should have a smile on his face once the dust settles. That win probably ticks the RB performance clause and keeps Max locked in at RB. So any talk of Max replacing Vettel should fade. And I think Leclerc believes he has the measure of Vettel at Ferrari.

While I wish Max and Seb would trade places so I could cheer for my team and driver together, I am quite certain Leclerc is not so stupid as to believe he has the measure of a seasoned champ, despite any ups and downs. Let us give the kid more credit than that.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.