It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:43 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:05 pm 

https://streamable.com/e6rcb

He was right too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:25 pm 

This kind of reminds of Australia 2009 when Trulli went off the track behind a SC and Hamilton went past him, Hamilton informed the team of what he had done and they instructed Hamilton to give the place back which he did. After the race the team realised they had made a mistake which cost themselves a podium so they tried to get Trulli disqualified for passing under a SC forgetting about the radio coms, and instead managed to get Hamilton disqualified instead, shame that Hamilton wasn't as clued up as Russell.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 23rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:32 pm 

pokerman wrote:
This kind of reminds of Australia 2009 when Trulli went off the track behind a SC and Hamilton went past him, Hamilton informed the team of what he had done and they instructed Hamilton to give the place back which he did. After the race the team realised they had made a mistake which cost themselves a podium so they tried to get Trulli disqualified for passing under a SC forgetting about the radio coms, and instead managed to get Hamilton disqualified instead, shame that Hamilton wasn't as clued up as Russell.

Liegate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:34 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Liegate

I don't think that is a rabbit hole worth going down again. However, I think the controversy that it caused is probably why Russell was so clued up on it. That incident made the whole rule an infamous moment in F1 history.

Also, I think it was the reason you see the drivers followed around with a person holding a dictaphone recording everything they said as Hamilton got out the car and told the press he'd been instructed to let Trulli back past before the team decided to lie about it, not realising Hamilton had been open about it in the post race interviews, which then became the evidence of what they had done. This, of course (I think), was back when the teams encrypted their radio transmissions and didn't share them with the broadcasters, so there was no evidence of what the team had told Hamilton to do.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:13 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Liegate

I don't think that is a rabbit hole worth going down again. However, I think the controversy that it caused is probably why Russell was so clued up on it. That incident made the whole rule an infamous moment in F1 history.

Also, I think it was the reason you see the drivers followed around with a person holding a dictaphone recording everything they said as Hamilton got out the car and told the press he'd been instructed to let Trulli back past before the team decided to lie about it, not realising Hamilton had been open about it in the post race interviews, which then became the evidence of what they had done. This, of course (I think), was back when the teams encrypted their radio transmissions and didn't share them with the broadcasters, so there was no evidence of what the team had told Hamilton to do.

Sorry Alien, I wasn't trying to get into that old story again, I just put a name to the story that Poker was referring to!

It was a weird one that had a lot of side effects for Macca (and a sacrificial lamb!). But we all know that story

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:13 pm 

Williams and McLaren. Sigh.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:19 pm 

That race engineer is dumb... How can you trust your race engineer when he doesn't even know the rules but still insists he is correct.

What a joker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:14 pm 

It's easier to attempt to school your engineer when you are pottering around at the back, as there is less risk if you turn out to be wrong, you're coming last or second to last regardless.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:31 am 

Siao7 wrote:
Liegate

Jokegate.

This was a total hunt for Mclaren. I would love to see this exact situation occur in another team at the time... it was a joke of a reaction of a truly silly mistake and a cover up over nothing at Mclaren.

I'll say this for Russel though, he is showing a good form.. in fact all 3 Brits seem to be doing well which is weird to say.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:47 am 

Teddy007 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Liegate

Jokegate.

This was a total hunt for Mclaren. I would love to see this exact situation occur in another team at the time... it was a joke of a reaction of a truly silly mistake and a cover up over nothing at Mclaren.

I'll say this for Russel though, he is showing a good form.. in fact all 3 Brits seem to be doing well which is weird to say.

This is not something you will ever know. And it wasn't nothing, they deliberately lied and another competitor got demoted something like 9 places. If you think this was nothing, then that's fine.