planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:58 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:58 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Max was 17. Literally a child. Was he as mature as his peers in F1? No. Was he has mature as the lads I went to college with at 17? Absolutely.

Then you've had a different life experience than me, because I wouldn't put him anywhere near the top of maturity in terms of the 17-year olds I've known. He struck me as spoiled and entitled. Say what you will about his driving, but I think Stroll was much more mature when he came into F1 at a similar age.

I wouldn't say Max was unreasonably immature for a 17-year old. Just average. But being of average maturity does not justify the constant stream of praise for his maturity we got thrown at us from every angle by commentators and journalists.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:01 pm 

Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Max was 17. Literally a child. Was he as mature as his peers in F1? No. Was he has mature as the lads I went to college with at 17? Absolutely.

Then you've had a different life experience than me, because I wouldn't put him anywhere near the top of maturity in terms of the 17-year olds I've known. He struck me as spoiled and entitled. Say what you will about his driving, but I think Stroll was much more mature when he came into F1 at a similar age.

I wouldn't say Max was unreasonably immature for a 17-year old. Just average. But being of average maturity does not justify the constant stream of praise for his maturity we got thrown at us from every angle by commentators and journalists.

Have you seen the Inbetweeners? That was me and my group :lol:

Those commentators and journalists actually talked to him and saw him at a lot closer quarters than we did. I agree he didn't seem mature to me either but maybe they saw something we didn't?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:08 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
dpastern wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Those who IMO block places for better talents. Atm, this would be
Stroll, Giovinazzi, and of course Kubica.
Furthermore, Gasly should not be in a top team.

Stroll is poor in qualifying, but strong in races, and actually very good in the wet (the latter of which is a strong sign of driver talent).

Perez is very good, very underrated, was pretty evenly matched with Button at McLaren in 2013 and Stroll has held up well vs Perez.

I strongly suspect that the dislike for Stroll is simply down to the belief that he's only in F1 due to his daddy's money. That is utter trash.

No it's 100% accurate. If Stroll was poor he would not currently be in F1.
To balance that, we should acknowledge that if a driver is really obviously talented, he would surely get the sponsorship together to progress to F1. By which I mean he's not obviously blocking a seat for a top talent.
The major problem currently in F1 isn't the fact that driver X is less deserving of a seat than driver Y, Z or A, but that there simply isn't enough money for teams to enter the class. We don't even have a full field on the grid these days. We can all laugh our heads off at attempts such as Life or Coloni, but there was a time when there were drivers who had to pre-qualify on Friday morning at 8, with the mist still hanging between the trees going to Kemmel at Francorchamps. There were 10 drivers too many for a field of 26!
With only 20 seats available, money will talk. It does so for teams, so why not for drivers?

I'm still looking for 2 drivers as least favourites, and I find it terribly difficult. Do I include Alonso or not? :?

Who is the other one?
A German whose name I keep forgetting.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:29 pm 

tootsie323 wrote:
SR1 wrote:
I'm starting to dislike Verstappen. Starting to dislike how quickly people are fawning & falling over themselves to proclaim him the greatest thing since sliced bread. Yes, he's having a good season, but it should take more than a few good races, to be ranked alongside the likes of Alonso, Hamilton & even Vettel. The fact that some have even called him GOAT, is laughable. Let him earn his dues first.

Hang on - are you starting to dislike him simply because of the over-reaction of a number of fans? You cannot lay the blame for that at his door. The driver himself, in my opinion, is maturing well and, as a result, is becoming more likeable if anything.

It's not just that. Some of the stuff Max has been saying recently (like Hamilton never had pressure from a teammate)-it just seems a little off. I just can't warm to him.