planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:44 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic

Which team will be strongest in each of the remaining races:
Poll ended at Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:25 am
BELGIUM - Ferrari 5%  5%  [ 20 ]
BELGIUM - Mercedes 6%  6%  [ 27 ]
BELGIUM - Red Bull 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
ITALY - Ferrari 8%  8%  [ 34 ]
ITALY - Mercedes 3%  3%  [ 14 ]
ITALY - Red Bull 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
SINGAPORE - Ferrari 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
SINGAPORE - Mercedes 4%  4%  [ 18 ]
SINGAPORE - Red Bull 7%  7%  [ 29 ]
RUSSIA - Ferrari 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
RUSSIA - Mercedes 10%  10%  [ 42 ]
RUSSIA - Red Bull 1%  1%  [ 5 ]
JAPAN - Ferrari 0%  0%  [ 2 ]
JAPAN - Mercedes 9%  9%  [ 38 ]
JAPAN - Red Bull 2%  2%  [ 8 ]
MEXICO - Ferrari 1%  1%  [ 4 ]
MEXICO - Mercedes 3%  3%  [ 11 ]
MEXICO - Red Bull 7%  7%  [ 31 ]
USA - Ferrari 0%  0%  [ 2 ]
USA - Mercedes 10%  10%  [ 43 ]
USA - Red Bull 0%  0%  [ 2 ]
BRAZIL - Ferrari 1%  1%  [ 5 ]
BRAZIL - Mercedes 7%  7%  [ 29 ]
BRAZIL - Red Bull 3%  3%  [ 14 ]
ABU DHABI - Ferrari 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
ABU DHABI - Mercedes 10%  10%  [ 41 ]
ABU DHABI - Red Bull 1%  1%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 427
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:25 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 3587
We have 9 races coming up, we have some power circuits coming up (Italy / Belgium) - we have some twisty circuits coming up (Singapore,Brazil) - we have some more regular circuits coming up (USA / Japan) playing to different strengths.

So which circuits do we expect to suit which cars. You can vote for as many teams as you like, or just one, or two, per track. So if you think one team will dominate, just vote for that team, if you think it will be close between two, vote for those two, or if you think it's even, vote for all three.

I know that some people like to be very particular about this, so obviously, there will always be one out right fastest team, even if it's by 0.001 of a second. so use your judgement on whether you think it's fair to say two teams are roughly equal or not - don't just be pedantic for the sake of being pedantic.

As it's a complicated poll, I've enabled revoting, so you can vote for a few to begin with and come back to the others later, or change your mind - but the poll expires in 25 days, so before free practice in the next race.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 am
Posts: 2633
Ferrari: Spa and Monza

Red Bull: Mexico

Mercedes: everywhere else


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7944
Ferrari in Italy and Red Bull in Mexico, Mercedes for the others. That's on paper, there could be a freak race or two like Austria, especially with the tyres as they are this year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 1198
Location: Kansas
KingVoid wrote:
Ferrari: Spa and Monza

Red Bull: Mexico

Mercedes: everywhere else



:thumbup: :nod:

_________________
Mission WinLater


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 3376
Ferrari: Spa and Monza
Max Verstappen: Mexico and Singapore (it'll be hot which won't suit Mercedes)
Mercedes: Everywhere else

_________________
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x3, 3rd x8
2019: 11th | 2018: 5th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm
Posts: 3820
I think The Ferrari will be a lot more competitive with the Merc at Spa, probably unbeatable at Monza. The rest of the races will be split between Merc and Redbull in my opinion. I do believe that Redbull will keep making improvements and by the end of the season they may have the fastest car overall.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:31 am
Posts: 1875
KingVoid wrote:
Ferrari: Spa and Monza

Red Bull: Mexico

Mercedes: everywhere else


I have a feeling Red Bull will surprise us in Abu Dhabi and possibly even Brazil.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:06 pm
Posts: 2806
Location: England
I went

Ferrari: Monza
Red Bull: Singapore, Mexico, Brazil
Mercedes: The Rest

Unless Ferrari's upgrades over the summer are gargantuan, this season could end up being the most painful in a while.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2019:
Current positon: 13th | 3 Podiums | 4 Wins
2018 Pick 10 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm
Posts: 2405
Might be quite an even split between the three, but it will look to favour Mercedes and Red Bull because they have Lewis and Max to distort the standard of the car, so to speak.

I do expect Ferrari to be very strong out the gates though at Spa and Monza.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:38 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 3587
Presently we have the following predictions from the forum, with 5 races going to Mercedes, 2 going to Red Bull and 2 going to Ferrari (although one of these is a narrow prediction over Mercedes)

Belgium
Ferrari 15 votes
Mercedes 13 votes

Red Bull 1 vote


Italy
Ferrari 23 votes

Mercedes 6 votes
Red Bull 0 votes



Singapore
Red Bull 17 votes
Mercedes 12 votes

Ferrari 0 votes


Russia
Mercedes 26 votes

Red Bull 3 votes
Ferrari 0 votes



Japan
Mercedes 24 votes

Red Bull 4 votes
Ferrari 2 votes



Mexico
Red Bull 24 votes

Mercedes 4 votes
Ferrari 2 votes



USA
Mercedes 26 votes

Red Bull 2 votes
Ferrari 1 vote



Brazil
Mercedes 17 votes
Red Bull 10 votes

Ferrari 3 votes

Abu Dhabi
Mercedes 26 votes

Red Bull 3 votes
Ferrari 1 vote


Based on these results, it looks like we are expecting Mercedes to be competitive everywhere except Italy and Mexico, and that Brazil, Belgium and Singapore are the races we think are mostly to have two teams in competition. It will be interesting to see how our predictions match with reality...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:15 am
Posts: 143
Monza and Spa - Ferrari
Singapore and Mexico - Red Bull
Everywhere Else - Mercedes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:16 pm
Posts: 11
Merc everywhere but Monza and possibly Spa.

Their car is miles ahead of everyone else's and has been for years.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:04 pm
Posts: 40
HamsterTime wrote:
Merc everywhere but Monza and possibly Spa.

Their car is miles ahead of everyone else's and has been for years.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yup!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:31 am
Posts: 1875
Merc will conquer Monza.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 3273
Location: UK
ReservoirDog wrote:
Merc will conquer Monza.

I was thinking this as well. The Ferrari is horrible in slow corners, it's going to struggle in those chicanes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:01 pm
Posts: 702
j man wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
Merc will conquer Monza.

I was thinking this as well. The Ferrari is horrible in slow corners, it's going to struggle in those chicanes.

Really? Ferrari have been slow this year on the tighter circuits and street tracks that are highly aero dependent (Monaco, Hungary), but I thought their strong Power Unit and Traction out of the corners would be ideal for Monza. It’s almost as if they looked at last season where their car had opposite traits, and were somewhat embarrassed on home turf and focused on the attributes that would give them a good car at Monza. I expect Monza to be their strongest race of the season, although it’s hard to imagine after the last few races which have been really tough on them.

I expect Spa to be Merc > Ferrari > Red Bull though. Ferrrari had a slight edge at Spa last season, but their car and Mercedes are almost polar opposites this season. Merc now has more focus on aero package for those fast corners, and just not sure that Ferrari will be able to make enough back on the straights at Spa?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:01 pm
Posts: 702
Actually my mind is clearly playing tricks on me – Ferrari were quick at Monza last season. Must be thinking further back. Still seems there car should suit the circuit well this season though. I wouldn’t be surprised if winning in front of the Tifosi is one of their key goals at the moment.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:29 am
Posts: 264
I think Red Bull will be stronger at more tracks than they're getting credit for in this poll.

The Honda is getting better and they've surprised at a few tracks they're not normally strong at.

Conversely, I think Ferrari are getting too much credit. Can't see them winning too much more this year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9811
oz_karter wrote:
I think Red Bull will be stronger at more tracks than they're getting credit for in this poll.

The Honda is getting better and they've surprised at a few tracks they're not normally strong at.

Conversely, I think Ferrari are getting too much credit. Can't see them winning too much more this year.

Yes I think on average Ferrari is now the third best car.

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:01 pm
Posts: 702
Covalent wrote:
oz_karter wrote:
I think Red Bull will be stronger at more tracks than they're getting credit for in this poll.

The Honda is getting better and they've surprised at a few tracks they're not normally strong at.

Conversely, I think Ferrari are getting too much credit. Can't see them winning too much more this year.

Yes I think on average Ferrari is now the third best car.

In fairness, that is what the majority and results indicate too? The overall results are below, with Red Bull generally getting more votes than Ferrari across the board. That said, you have to expect Ferrari to hit back and that goes beyond the next two tracks which should be strong for them. I thought the opposite and perhaps people have written them off too much. I’d expect them to fight back, but that said, perhaps they have switched focus to 2020 or a major re-design?

Mercedes – 6
Red Bull – 2
Ferrari - 1


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:45 am
Posts: 739
Location: Michigan, USA
Monza should favour Ferrari, and I expect that Mexico and Singapore will favour Red Bull. I'm afraid everything else will be Mercedes.

_________________
Image
Pick 10: 1 win, 8 podiums | 2016: 22nd | 2017: 21st | 2018: 3rd |
Top Three: 9 wins, 26 podiums | 2016: 9th [6th] | 2017: 16th [6th] | 2018: 4th [4th] |


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:42 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 3587
Well, we got the result wrong, but the 27-20 Merc/Ferrari split could be be argued to be reflective of the actual situation. Ferrari played the tactical game correctly, and the early Safety Car meant Hamilton didn't have the laps left to capitalise.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 1198
Location: Kansas
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Well, we got the result wrong, but the 27-20 Merc/Ferrari split could be be argued to be reflective of the actual situation. Ferrari played the tactical game correctly, and the early Safety Car meant Hamilton didn't have the laps left to capitalise.


This is surely one of the signs of the apocalypse!!!! :nod:

_________________
Mission WinLater


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 1198
Location: Kansas
Those who predicted a Ferrari win at Spa and Monza got it right.
Next is Singapore which this crowd has deemed a Red Bull track.
We don't think Ferrari is line for any more wins this year and Mercedes will win everywhere else but Mexico where Max may win again.

Will this crowd sourced prognostication succeed or are we just whistling Dixie???

_________________
Mission WinLater


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9811
Mort Canard wrote:
Those who predicted a Ferrari win at Spa and Monza got it right.
Next is Singapore which this crowd has deemed a Red Bull track.
We don't think Ferrari is line for any more wins this year and Mercedes will win everywhere else but Mexico where Max may win again.

Will this crowd sourced prognostication succeed or are we just whistling Dixie???

BIB; those who said Ferrari would be strongest at Spa and Monza may have got it wrong. The only reason Ferrari won at those circuits were because of their one lap pace and straightline speed.

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:13 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 3587
Covalent wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Those who predicted a Ferrari win at Spa and Monza got it right.
Next is Singapore which this crowd has deemed a Red Bull track.
We don't think Ferrari is line for any more wins this year and Mercedes will win everywhere else but Mexico where Max may win again.

Will this crowd sourced prognostication succeed or are we just whistling Dixie???

BIB; those who said Ferrari would be strongest at Spa and Monza may have got it wrong. The only reason Ferrari won at those circuits were because of their one lap pace and straightline speed.

The purpose of F1 is to design a car that crosses the line first. Mercedes had better one lap race pace, however Ferrari designed a car that put them on the front of the grid and was impossible to overtake. That makes it the strongest package even if their unimpeded race pace was slower.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9811
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Those who predicted a Ferrari win at Spa and Monza got it right.
Next is Singapore which this crowd has deemed a Red Bull track.
We don't think Ferrari is line for any more wins this year and Mercedes will win everywhere else but Mexico where Max may win again.

Will this crowd sourced prognostication succeed or are we just whistling Dixie???

BIB; those who said Ferrari would be strongest at Spa and Monza may have got it wrong. The only reason Ferrari won at those circuits were because of their one lap pace and straightline speed.

The purpose of F1 is to design a car that crosses the line first. Mercedes had better one lap race pace, however Ferrari designed a car that put them on the front of the grid and was impossible to overtake. That makes it the strongest package even if their unimpeded race pace was slower.

True, I guess it's down to how one interprets the question?

Based on yesterday I would say Monza suited the Mercedes best as they had the best race pace. But still that doesn't matter if they can't finish ahead of the Ferrari.

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:20 am
Posts: 1243
Covalent wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Those who predicted a Ferrari win at Spa and Monza got it right.
Next is Singapore which this crowd has deemed a Red Bull track.
We don't think Ferrari is line for any more wins this year and Mercedes will win everywhere else but Mexico where Max may win again.

Will this crowd sourced prognostication succeed or are we just whistling Dixie???

BIB; those who said Ferrari would be strongest at Spa and Monza may have got it wrong. The only reason Ferrari won at those circuits were because of their one lap pace and straightline speed.


I don’t see any evidence the Ferrari was slower in race pace in Monza.

Leclerc held Hamilton at 1.2-1.9 seconds in the first stint, Hamilton got no DRS all stint. Hamilton was also getting a 0.3-0.4 a lap tow. You can only pull away and build a lead in Monza if you are 0.5+ a lap quicker. The tow is huge hence such scenes in qualifying and it’s even more significant in race trim as there is no DRS like in qualifying.

Even if you say, well Ferrari might not have been able to run the medium in the 2nd stint for that long. Well neither was Hamilton who burned his out with 10 laps to go and Bottas who ran a much shorter stint and not in traffic still had no tyre left to get Leclerc at the end with his tyres dropping off with 5 laps to go.

The Mercedes also destroyed its tyres quicker in the first stint.


Last edited by Johnson on Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4192
Johnson wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Those who predicted a Ferrari win at Spa and Monza got it right.
Next is Singapore which this crowd has deemed a Red Bull track.
We don't think Ferrari is line for any more wins this year and Mercedes will win everywhere else but Mexico where Max may win again.

Will this crowd sourced prognostication succeed or are we just whistling Dixie???

BIB; those who said Ferrari would be strongest at Spa and Monza may have got it wrong. The only reason Ferrari won at those circuits were because of their one lap pace and straightline speed.


I don’t see any evidence the Ferrari was slower in race pace in Monza.

Leclerc held Hamilton at 1.2-1.9 seconds in the first stint, Hamilton got no DRS all stint. Hamilton was also getting a 0.3 a lap tow. You can only pull away in Monza if you are 0.5 a lap quicker.

Even if you say, well Ferrari might not have been able to run the medium in the 2nd stint for that long. Well neither was Hamilton who burned his out with 10 laps to go and Bottas who ran a much shorter stint still had no tyre left to get Leclerc at the end.


My overwhelming evidence was Toto Wolfe saying that Mercedes was faster.

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:20 am
Posts: 1243
Asphalt_World wrote:
Johnson wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Those who predicted a Ferrari win at Spa and Monza got it right.
Next is Singapore which this crowd has deemed a Red Bull track.
We don't think Ferrari is line for any more wins this year and Mercedes will win everywhere else but Mexico where Max may win again.

Will this crowd sourced prognostication succeed or are we just whistling Dixie???

BIB; those who said Ferrari would be strongest at Spa and Monza may have got it wrong. The only reason Ferrari won at those circuits were because of their one lap pace and straightline speed.


I don’t see any evidence the Ferrari was slower in race pace in Monza.

Leclerc held Hamilton at 1.2-1.9 seconds in the first stint, Hamilton got no DRS all stint. Hamilton was also getting a 0.3 a lap tow. You can only pull away in Monza if you are 0.5 a lap quicker.

Even if you say, well Ferrari might not have been able to run the medium in the 2nd stint for that long. Well neither was Hamilton who burned his out with 10 laps to go and Bottas who ran a much shorter stint still had no tyre left to get Leclerc at the end.


My overwhelming evidence was Toto Wolfe saying that Mercedes was faster.

Due to strategy yes, they had on a tyre 0.5 a lap quicker


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 am
Posts: 2633
Hamilton’s pace on mediums was immense. He was constantly able to stay within 0.6s of Leclerc for something like 17 laps before his tyres finally died. I highly doubt that Leclerc would have been able to match Hamilton if Ferrari put him on mediums. It’d be like Spa all over again.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4192
Johnson wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Johnson wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Those who predicted a Ferrari win at Spa and Monza got it right.
Next is Singapore which this crowd has deemed a Red Bull track.
We don't think Ferrari is line for any more wins this year and Mercedes will win everywhere else but Mexico where Max may win again.

Will this crowd sourced prognostication succeed or are we just whistling Dixie???

BIB; those who said Ferrari would be strongest at Spa and Monza may have got it wrong. The only reason Ferrari won at those circuits were because of their one lap pace and straightline speed.


I don’t see any evidence the Ferrari was slower in race pace in Monza.

Leclerc held Hamilton at 1.2-1.9 seconds in the first stint, Hamilton got no DRS all stint. Hamilton was also getting a 0.3 a lap tow. You can only pull away in Monza if you are 0.5 a lap quicker.

Even if you say, well Ferrari might not have been able to run the medium in the 2nd stint for that long. Well neither was Hamilton who burned his out with 10 laps to go and Bottas who ran a much shorter stint still had no tyre left to get Leclerc at the end.


My overwhelming evidence was Toto Wolfe saying that Mercedes was faster.

Due to strategy yes, they had on a tyre 0.5 a lap quicker


Wolff stated on live TV that the Mercedes was probably the fastest race car but not the winning car. He did not say this was in any way related to strategy.

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am
Posts: 2912
My take is that, had Hamilton succeeded in passing LeClerc, he would have disappeared. I think that, once the softs were ditched, the Merc was the faster car.
LeClerc had track position and straight-line speed. Thanks to putting his car on the front of the grid, a good call on the hards and robust defending, he managed the win.

_________________
Where I'm going, I don't need roads


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9811
Johnson wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Those who predicted a Ferrari win at Spa and Monza got it right.
Next is Singapore which this crowd has deemed a Red Bull track.
We don't think Ferrari is line for any more wins this year and Mercedes will win everywhere else but Mexico where Max may win again.

Will this crowd sourced prognostication succeed or are we just whistling Dixie???

BIB; those who said Ferrari would be strongest at Spa and Monza may have got it wrong. The only reason Ferrari won at those circuits were because of their one lap pace and straightline speed.


I don’t see any evidence the Ferrari was slower in race pace in Monza.

Leclerc held Hamilton at 1.2-1.9 seconds in the first stint, Hamilton got no DRS all stint. Hamilton was also getting a 0.3-0.4 a lap tow. You can only pull away and build a lead in Monza if you are 0.5+ a lap quicker. The tow is huge hence such scenes in qualifying and it’s even more significant in race trim as there is no DRS like in qualifying.

Even if you say, well Ferrari might not have been able to run the medium in the 2nd stint for that long. Well neither was Hamilton who burned his out with 10 laps to go and Bottas who ran a much shorter stint and not in traffic still had no tyre left to get Leclerc at the end with his tyres dropping off with 5 laps to go.

The Mercedes also destroyed its tyres quicker in the first stint.

I think it's fairly obvious Mercedes was the quicker car (due to reasons pointed out by others), which isn't that good for Ferrari because on paper this should have been their strongest track of the entire season. Mercedes and maybe Red Bull as well will walk over them for the remaining races.

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:02 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 3587
Ultimately, I think that the Mercedes and Ferrari were equal strongest packages at Spa and Monza. Whichever driver was first out of turn 1 was most likely to win the race. The Ferrari didn't have the pace to live with the Mercedes around the corners, but equally the Mercedes didn't have the pace to live with the Ferrari along the straights and into the overtaking zones.

Yes, if you had let a Ferrari do a race distance in clean air unimpeded it would more than likely complete that race distance more slowly than the Mercedes - and some people are trying to spin this into meaning Mercedes had the strongest package at Monza - but that is completely disingenuous. Formula 1 races are not about doing 300km in clear air unimpeded, they are about racing your competitors on track. The strongest package is the one that deals with that situation the best. Leclerc didn't pull off a lucky win, neither did he extract performance from the Ferrari that wasn't there (or pull a super human performance) - he drove a near inch perfect race (bar the three notable naughty moments) and when he was inch perfect it was impossible for the Mercedes to overtake him.

Equally, it's likely the Mercedes would have pulled away from him had it got ahead - so I can't see how anyone can suggest that this race was anything other than a draw betwen the two packages.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm
Posts: 3435
Covalent wrote:
Johnson wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Those who predicted a Ferrari win at Spa and Monza got it right.
Next is Singapore which this crowd has deemed a Red Bull track.
We don't think Ferrari is line for any more wins this year and Mercedes will win everywhere else but Mexico where Max may win again.

Will this crowd sourced prognostication succeed or are we just whistling Dixie???

BIB; those who said Ferrari would be strongest at Spa and Monza may have got it wrong. The only reason Ferrari won at those circuits were because of their one lap pace and straightline speed.


I don’t see any evidence the Ferrari was slower in race pace in Monza.

Leclerc held Hamilton at 1.2-1.9 seconds in the first stint, Hamilton got no DRS all stint. Hamilton was also getting a 0.3-0.4 a lap tow. You can only pull away and build a lead in Monza if you are 0.5+ a lap quicker. The tow is huge hence such scenes in qualifying and it’s even more significant in race trim as there is no DRS like in qualifying.

Even if you say, well Ferrari might not have been able to run the medium in the 2nd stint for that long. Well neither was Hamilton who burned his out with 10 laps to go and Bottas who ran a much shorter stint and not in traffic still had no tyre left to get Leclerc at the end with his tyres dropping off with 5 laps to go.

The Mercedes also destroyed its tyres quicker in the first stint.

I think it's fairly obvious Mercedes was the quicker car (due to reasons pointed out by others), which isn't that good for Ferrari because on paper this should have been their strongest track of the entire season. Mercedes and maybe Red Bull as well will walk over them for the remaining races.


In Mark Hughes race report he says Ferrari always believed they would be faster in Spa than Monza, reason being there are more corners in Spa and Ferrari's advantage is the acceleration from the corners plus Mercedes benefit more from the tow in Monza than Ferrari.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9811
F1_Ernie wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Johnson wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Those who predicted a Ferrari win at Spa and Monza got it right.
Next is Singapore which this crowd has deemed a Red Bull track.
We don't think Ferrari is line for any more wins this year and Mercedes will win everywhere else but Mexico where Max may win again.

Will this crowd sourced prognostication succeed or are we just whistling Dixie???

BIB; those who said Ferrari would be strongest at Spa and Monza may have got it wrong. The only reason Ferrari won at those circuits were because of their one lap pace and straightline speed.


I don’t see any evidence the Ferrari was slower in race pace in Monza.

Leclerc held Hamilton at 1.2-1.9 seconds in the first stint, Hamilton got no DRS all stint. Hamilton was also getting a 0.3-0.4 a lap tow. You can only pull away and build a lead in Monza if you are 0.5+ a lap quicker. The tow is huge hence such scenes in qualifying and it’s even more significant in race trim as there is no DRS like in qualifying.

Even if you say, well Ferrari might not have been able to run the medium in the 2nd stint for that long. Well neither was Hamilton who burned his out with 10 laps to go and Bottas who ran a much shorter stint and not in traffic still had no tyre left to get Leclerc at the end with his tyres dropping off with 5 laps to go.

The Mercedes also destroyed its tyres quicker in the first stint.

I think it's fairly obvious Mercedes was the quicker car (due to reasons pointed out by others), which isn't that good for Ferrari because on paper this should have been their strongest track of the entire season. Mercedes and maybe Red Bull as well will walk over them for the remaining races.


In Mark Hughes race report he says Ferrari always believed they would be faster in Spa than Monza, reason being there are more corners in Spa and Ferrari's advantage is the acceleration from the corners plus Mercedes benefit more from the tow in Monza than Ferrari.

Makes sense.

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:20 am
Posts: 1243
0% for Ferrari at Singapore, turns the run in on its head.

Mercedes now only 2 poles in 7 races, 2 wins in last 6 since winning the first 8 races. Hamilton has a 100 point gap to Leclerc, I think he would be a bit nervous if that was more like 50 points.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 am
Posts: 2633
Ferrari quickest around Singapore (at least in qualifying). That’s thrown the cat among the pigeons hasn’t it?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 am
Posts: 2633
Johnson wrote:
0% for Ferrari at Singapore, turns the run in on its head.

Mercedes now only 2 poles in 7 races, 2 wins in last 6 since winning the first 8 races. Hamilton has a 100 point gap to Leclerc, I think he would be a bit nervous if that was more like 50 points.

I feel like this year was just a warm-up year for Leclerc and Ferrari. Leclerc is still getting used to driving at the front, and still making some silly mistakes. It definitely took Ferrari some time to understand this car and these new aero regulations. The change to thinner tyres did not help.

Potentially, next year could be the year where the Leclerc+Ferrari combination turns into a formidable force. And yes, I know that I sound like a typical optimistic Ferrari fan.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alienturnedhuman, pokerman and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group