planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:58 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:22 pm 

To keep the balance with the thread started by Invade, I created this one with three most favored driver.

Sebastian Vettel - one of the most genuine and humble guy. Down to earth, good with jokes and even sketches. His video as a car mechanic Puchovsky was hilarious, as well as many other jokes. Very likable and bright guy in my book.

Lance Stroll - despite rich heritage, maintains good character traits, genuinely very humble and likeable. Gets a lot of hate for nothing of his own guilt.

Pascal Wehrlein - silent guy who seemed to have the measure of his team mates. Was wrongly accused as arrogant. One of the talents that surely deserves a chance in a good car.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:44 am 

The interesting thing here is that Lewis Hamilton will feature on a lot of favourite and least favourite lists.

That is basically a large part of the reason why he would make my favourite list. He's not afraid to act in a way that Formula 1 drivers are supposed to act. He's rewritten the rules about how they should be living and act around the sport and I have so much respect for him for that. I think he has grown more during his time in F1 than I have seen from just about anyone else. Compare the man now to the boy that we saw in 2007. It's night and day.

My second pick is Ricciardo and I honestly can't understand why anyone wouldn't pick him. Easily the guy I'd most want to go for a beer with. Great sense of humour and a great taste in music.

My third choice is Sergio Perez. Probably the most criminally underrated driver I have seen in F1. It doesn't matter who he beats, how many times he wins the midfield battle, how many podiums he gets in cars that should not be on the podium. The man never seems to get the credit he deserves.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:34 am 

Great idea,

Daniel Ricciardo: Down to earth, a bit of a larrikin. Best of the late brakers
Max Verstappen: Love his aggressive style. Tells it like it is also
Kimi Raikkonen: Absolute legend. He’s Kimi, say no more.

Former drivers... ugh... too many to pick. Jacques Villeneuve, Montoya, Zanardi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:13 pm 

Currently I'm excited about the younger drivers, so Norris, Leclerc and Verstappen in particular.

I'm also looking forward to to seeing how Ocon and Russell pan out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:10 pm 

Mika Hakkinen. A true gent and an amazingly good driver. One of the most underrated drivers in F1 imo.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:27 pm 

Robert Kubica - One of sport's most inspiring stories and a shining example of what can be achieved with a bit of determination and self-belief. In the couple of years following his accident I remember a few people on this forum talking about an eventual return and being ridiculed by those of us who understood the gravity of his injuries. Yet 8 years and numerous operations later he returned to the grid. I don't care how slow he is, he's a winner in my eyes just by being there. And I do believe that he's being made to look worse than he is by having Russell as a team mate who I really rate. Put Robert alongside Lance Stroll and I fancy he'd have come out on top.

Lewis Hamilton - Honestly, I don't understand the hate this guy still gets. I can see why it started that way, but the unpleasantness with Alonso at McLaren, the "monkeys at the back" comment, the tirade against the stewards in Monaco etc are incidents from years long past and as mikeyg123 has mentioned above, Lewis has grown a lot since then. Right now I see a sportsman at the top of his game who is always quick to acknowledge the contribution of his team, publicly takes responsibility for his own mistakes, takes time out to engage with his fans and proudly flies the flag for the UK. When you add in the barriers he had to fight against just to make it to the top I don't see what's not to admire.

Daniel Ricciardo - The most genuine, down-to-earth character on the grid and the driver I feel I'd most like to meet in person. A cheerful personality and thoroughly entertaining to watch on track.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:39 pm 

Much of my childhood F1 fandom revolved around whoever was trying to beat Schumacher. I was a kid, I didn't like his name, I didn't like his car, and it appeared that he was some sort of driving God - and I'm a sucker for an underdog

So my Top 3 favourite F1 drivers:
1. Fernando Alonso - I was impressed by him since his Minardi days but I was fully converted when he beat prime Schumacher in spite of the FIA's dodgy antics. 2007 was hell; 2012 was redemption - I still think it's the greatest season performance I've ever watched. I'm happy to watch Alonso race anything, be it F1, IndyCar or sportscars

2. Heinz-Harald Frentzen - His 1999 performance whipped up a national pride in me for the Jordan team that I didn't know I had. It was such a pleasure to be an Irish F1 fan that year. A true underdog in every sense of the word, achieving crazy results he never should have had a hope of achieving. HHF was my favourite driver until his F1 career came to an end in 2003, nicely rounded out with a podium at the 2003 US GP

3. Damon Hill - The original Schumacher-slayer, or so it seemed. I began watching the sport in 1996 and it seemed to me that this guy was the underdog as the commentators raved about that Schumacher fella. It would have taken a while for me to understand that Damon was sitting in one of the most dominant cars a driver could have. Supported him all the way through his title win, the heartbreak of Hungary 97 and the pure elation of Spa 98. I was sad when he retired but it was time

Notable mention: Mika Hakkinen. Cool, calm, collected and super fast. Again there's an anti-Schumacher element to my support but there's no doubting Hakkinen is an all-round great dude and a great Formula 1 champion. My father was appalled that I wanted Hakkinen to beat Eddie Irvine to the 1999 title

If this thread was intended for current drivers then... crap, I have start all over again

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:13 pm 

Maxmillian and Lewis at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:58 pm 

For starters, Hakkinen is my favourite character and personality from F1 in my time watching.

Charles Leclerc

I'm sympathetic toward his story and think he comports himself exceptionally well for one so relatively inexperienced and young. He's currently, in my estimation, a diamond in the rough. Generally I think he's been heralded ahead of time, but I enjoy his style on the track and reckon he has great potential... but potential is exactly that until it's realised. Ultimately, in just his second F1 season, he's on a very good track indeed and I like that he's very willing to push the limits and find the edge -- he'll just also have to stop finding the wall.

Daniel Ricciardo

This guy never fails to bring a smile to my face and as a character in F1 is only second to Hakkinen. On the track his style is bold, daring, and his wheel-to-wheel racing is both brutish yet clean. He's having to adjust to a Renault that doesn't quite give him the confidence under the brakes that the Red Bull gave him, but on the whole he continues to show he's a class driver. Ricciardo makes magic happen on the track, no doubt partly because at Red Bull he (and Max) are not quite the best and have the chance to win from behind and pull the trigger on alternative strategies, but he still had the skills to deliver several memorable and brilliant victories.

Lewis Hamilton

No longer my favourite, only through the fatigue of domination, but on the whole this era the driver I have been most compelled by. An artist on the track, Lewis is a joy with regards pure race-craft and his qualifying exploits for any fan of the art, a feeling I am also very quickly attributing to the rising force, Max Verstappen. Off the track, Lewis is insightful and has especially opened up in recent years regarding his views and opinions on the state of F1 and a variety of topics.

Honourable mentions

George Russell

I've taken an instant liking to this guy. He's professional, smart, a little quirky, and seemingly rather quick. One could say he's a little cookie-cutter in interviews, but I don't think this stops his personality from shining through, and generally this is the case for all the new generation. The rookies this year have all represented themselves very well.

Max Verstappen

It's fair to say I just didn't like him despite his brilliance until quite recently. Why? It's easy to forget how young Max is, and that he made his debut at 17. Frankly, he's showing tremendous maturity for his age and good leadership qualities. But essentially when he's in a team which isn't dominant but has the sheer ability to bring it to anyone, one can only admire the craft and skill which he displays. Max is captivating and magnetising on the track. I find it doubtful that he will be a main guy I root for in the future, because from his generation (at least in terms of age) I already prefer two other prospects in Leclerc and Russell. But my respect for him grows by the race, more or less, and you have to tip your hat to his skill.

Carlos Sainz... Sebastian Vettel... Daniil Kvyat... Valtteri Bottas.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:24 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
To keep the balance with the thread started by Invade, I created this one with three most favored driver.

Sebastian Vettel - one of the most genuine and humble guy. Down to earth, good with jokes and even sketches. His video as a car mechanic Puchovsky was hilarious, as well as many other jokes. Very likable and bright guy in my book.

Lance Stroll - despite rich heritage, maintains good character traits, genuinely very humble and likeable. Gets a lot of hate for nothing of his own guilt.

Pascal Wehrlein - silent guy who seemed to have the measure of his team mates. Was wrongly accused as arrogant. One of the talents that surely deserves a chance in a good car.

I'm with you on Wehrlein. I'm sure he could do a solid job in F1 and he didn't get much of a crack at it. I always did quite like him but it seems like it wasn't to be. From what I could tell, the dynamic between him and his engineers and such was strained in that he supposedly brought up comparisons with the way Mercedes run their own operations too often.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:23 am 

I'd say Lauda, Schumacher and probably Hakkinen from the past (Prost could slot somewhere in there too).

From the current crop I have a soft spot for Kimi, Vettel and Ricciardo. Vettel doesn't make it easy to like him, but he is a top lad outside the car. Same as Ric, though I do not appreciate some of his divebombs. Kimi is Kimi, hard not to like.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:27 am 

From the past I would say Alesi, Sato and Fissichella.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:40 am 

Seb. He is a great driver, with principles. He expects others to be similarly principled, often to his detriment. And, he never gives up. He is impressive, taking a lot of heat, but refusing to cave under the pressure. When he has the car under him, he is mighty.

Kimi. Raw talent and style, yet another highly principled driver. I appreciate that.

Many drivers tie for third, so I will leave it there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:33 am 

Gilles Villeneuve
Ronnie Peterson
- for me the two best drivers in terms of race talent
Yannick Dalmas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:42 am 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Gilles Villeneuve
Ronnie Peterson
Yannick Dalmas

Oh come on, you have to explain the last one! Don't leave us on a cliff hanger, please!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:12 am 

Hamilton, Ricciardo and the last one i’m not sure of. Maybe Verstappen who is growing on me or possibly Norris in the future and I’ve always liked Kimi.

All time; Senna, Hill and Raikkonen (pre Ferrari return)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:15 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Gilles Villeneuve
Ronnie Peterson
Yannick Dalmas

Oh come on, you have to explain the last one! Don't leave us on a cliff hanger, please!

I met him in the junior categories and thought he was a very likable charachter. His F1 career certainly did no justice to his talent - but since it is about favorite. Maybe, I should add Bernd Schneider.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:45 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Gilles Villeneuve
Ronnie Peterson
Yannick Dalmas

I met him in the junior categories and thought he was a very likable charachter. His F1 career certainly did no justice to his talent - but since it is about favorite. Maybe, I should add Bernd Schneider.

Ah, thank you, it's always cool when you meet the drivers outside the spotlight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:55 pm 

At the moment:

Norris - Always support the Brits and McLaren, so a bit of a no-brainier. Also seems quite likeable.
Ricciardo - Can’t not like Dan. He deserves a better car than the one he’s in.
Sainz - Doing a great job for McLaren, felt him got a raw deal at STR.

Of all time:
Damon Hill - I started getting into F1 in the late 90s.
Coulthard - As above
Montoya - provided some much needed excitement in the Schumacher years. Should have been Champ.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:07 pm 

Hamilton - Trailblazing legend - a god driving amongst mere mortals
Ricciardo - True blue as it gets
Kimmi - Sometimes I think he is taking the gherkin

Last edited by Worldchampion on Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:13 pm 

Past favourites:

Damon Hill - the last 'gentleman' Champion, and his story how he got there will never be repeated. That Canon Williams with number '0' is my all-time favourite car. His autobiography is superb reading and he openly admits he was nowhere near as talented as Schumacher, but hard work pays off.

Michael Schumacher - couldn't stand him during his Benetton days but as soon as he got in that red car I was all over it. His legendary battles with Hakkinen and Alonso will never be forgotten and he literally changed the game (both off and on-track) for future generations.

Fernando Alonso - Sportsmanship-aside, his talent was ridiculous. Even more so after watching his struggles in the McLaren in more recent years but there was no doubting his talent. If he was to come back in a Merc or Ferrari I'd happily stick some money on him winning races.

Current drivers:

Lewis Hamilton - I don't care much for what he says or does off-track, but my God can the boy drive. Hungary last weekend showed he is up there with the greats if he wasn't already. As Bernie once said, he's box-office whether you like him or not.

Sebastian Vettel - I feel for him this season, I really do. Didn't warm to him during his RBR years but once he moved to Ferrari (like Schumi) I started rooting for him to do well. Such a funny character off-track but I fear he's losing his passion for F1.

Kimi Raikkonen - Thriving at Alfa this season, without the pressure and limelight of driving for Ferrari. Destroying his team mate and quietly scoring good points under the radar, which is probably how he likes it. Being in the grandstands when he took pole in Monza last year will stay me for the rest of my days.

Being a Brit - honourable mention to Norris and Russell. Both are absolutely nailing it this year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:07 pm 

Current

Max Verstappen, Theres an energy and excitement about the guy, I think as well unlike..say JAcque Villeneuve and Damon hill whos drivers are well know respected and had good predegree as drivers..well..Jos was a bit of a journeyman..yet his son..looks like he could be F1's new standard bearer, usually the son isn't as good as the dad..its rare the reverse is true

Vettel, doesn't matter if its his first or forty first win..he celebrates like tis his first..sure he can be sullen but thats normal, plus I watched his Toro Rosso win while on honeymoon

Ricciardo, the cheezy smile, demon overtakes.. cheeky personality..what is there not to love?

Past:

Ralf Schumacher, yes..really

Jos Verstappen, yes he won sod all but had a soft spot for the guy

Senna..just somethign about the guy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:59 pm 

The interesting thing about these threads so far is that more people seem willing to state who they show least favour toward than to show who their faves are. Also, it's interesting to note who will and won't contribute a view. :twisted: