planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:16 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Albon in, Gasly out
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:42 pm 

Albon has plenty of motivation, next years challengers are queuing up behind him!

Image Source Redbull.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:47 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
paul_gmb wrote:
I just hope Kvyat continues to deliver in the Toro Rosso.

Maybe he's not as fast as Max, but is good enough to be in F1 for sure.

Helmut Marko ... If it hadn't been for Vettel, this guy would have been out of the job for some time now.

I don't think he's a bad person and I am sure he's passionate enough ... but he just sucks at management and people management.

Ricciardo and Verstappen were pretty good as well.

Have Red Bull ever not given a fair crack to a driver that proved to actually be good enough elsewhere?

Verstappen was never in the Red Bull junior program, he signed straight to the STR F1 team after winning 6 straight races in F3.

Sure but Albon wasn't in the Red Bull junior program either when he signed for STR so similar circumstance. Yet Marko is getting heat for him being promoted to soon. You can't criticise for one but say he has nothing to do with the other.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:48 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
It's another mistake. I know circumstances dictated it (with Vettel and then Ricciardo leaving) but none of Kvyat, Gasly or Albon were ready. Albon's a decent prospect who had a strong second year in F2 but this is going to kill his development. Max will eat him alive and they'll be talking about replacing him by the end of the year. Sigh.

Verstappen had a solid SINGLE season in F3 when he got the call up to Toro Rosso and was solid while at Toro Rosso with a few solid performances before getting the call up to Red Bull and it didn't stifle his development one bit.
This notion that these young guys who have been professional drivers for over half their lives need this development time makes no sense. They've gone from Karts to single seaters and some have driven in other/different categories and have done well throughout which is why they're given the opportunity in F1. The reality is that you either have it or you don't. Albon looks solid thus far to me, but Kvyat is better. I think He's the guy who should have been promoted to partner Verstappen and it would have been the perfect way to evaluate Tost's opinion that Kvyat has been the best/fastest driver he's ever seen in Toro Rosso, a comment he made while employing Verstappen.

Well if Kvyat is the best/fastest STR driver that Tost has ever seen then Albon must be very good because from what I've seen he's close to Kvyat and Kvyat's been in F1 for 4 years now.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 23rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:54 pm 

Wasn't expecting this and I feel it should've been Kvyat over Albon just down to experience but that would mean Marko calling up the guy he dropped. Plus I guess they know how Kvyat will perform at that team, give Albon a chance.

Interesting few races ahead. We may get an awnser for whether Max was a driving god if Albon sticks around Gasly's level or if he is instantly up to speed and getting similar results to Max, it would then put Max's recent results into perspective. I expect Alex will need a few weekends to get up to speed though

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:57 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
What happens if Albon is every bit as far away as Gasly and Gasly beats Kvyat?

That seems like a very unlikely scenario. Not so much the first part but the latter.]

I remember back in 2009 when Felipe Massa got injured and missed half of the season. They eventually brought in Giancarlo Fisichella to drive the Ferrari but he was miles off the pace. Now Fisi wasn't exactly a top-shelf driver but he was certainly rock solid and he had good pace throughout his career. I think joining a team mid-season is extremely difficult. You just won't have the comfort level with the car that your teammate has because you won't have the mileage that he has.

I think this is a very steep challenge for Alex and this is my main issue with the Red Bull young driver program. It seems more likely to squander young talent than to develop it. If Alex doesn't perform well in these last 9 races, he will at best find himself in a Sergio Perez-like situation. He'll be respected but viewed as not good enough for the top teams. I really don't think it's a fair chance. He hasn't had the pre-season to prepare and he is just being thrown into the deep end. For me, they should have gone with Kvyat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:00 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
What this does really show is that being in the right place at the right time is more important than talent when it comes to getting a go in a top seat. 6 months ago Albon was preparing for a season in Formula E.

100% agree with you on that. If Albon is able to perform well enough to secure the seat, he will have essentially gotten a top drive fresh out of Formula 2. First time that's happened since Lewis Hamilton in 2007 and Alex finished behind both George and Lando in the points last year. Right place, right time indeed. Of course he will have a monumental challenge to overcome in order to pull the whole thing off. If he can't be better than Gasly then none of this timing will matter.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:03 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

That seems like a very unlikely scenario. Not so much the first part but the latter.]

I remember back in 2009 when Felipe Massa got injured and missed half of the season. They eventually brought in Giancarlo Fisichella to drive the Ferrari but he was miles off the pace. Now Fisi wasn't exactly a top-shelf driver but he was certainly rock solid and he had good pace throughout his career. I think joining a team mid-season is extremely difficult. You just won't have the comfort level with the car that your teammate has because you won't have the mileage that he has.

I think this is a very steep challenge for Alex and this is my main issue with the Red Bull young driver program. It seems more likely to squander young talent than to develop it. If Alex doesn't perform well in these last 9 races, he will at best find himself in a Sergio Perez-like situation. He'll be respected but viewed as not good enough for the top teams. I really don't think it's a fair chance. He hasn't had the pre-season to prepare and he is just being thrown into the deep end. For me, they should have gone with Kvyat.

But surely it's better to get that chance than not at all. So many midfield drivers would do anything for 9 races in a race winning car. Especially with the bar now set so low.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:08 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

But surely it's better to get that chance than not at all. So many midfield drivers would do anything for 9 races in a race winning car. Especially with the bar now set so low.

Yes I agree. It's a difficult task but he has a golden opportunity here. If he performs well and is actually close to Max then he will probably solidify a career of driving top cars. Pretty special opportunity.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:29 pm 

Wow. I knew Marko was full of crap when he said that Gasly's seat was safe until the end of the year but I was so sure it would be Kvyat. Gasly had to go though.
I feel gutted for Kvyat because he probably thought he was the one and he wanted to be the one. Albon might be up to the task but I would not have taken this risk. It's obvious the kid needs more experience, but he is quick. I expect him to be closer to Max than Gasly was, but I also expect lots of mistakes. We shall see... But Redbull and the way they treat their drivers gets a big thumbs down for me. Jeez...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:36 pm 

kleefton wrote:
Wow. I knew Marko was full of crap when he said that Gasly's seat was safe until the end of the year but I was so sure it would be Kvyat. Gasly had to go though.
I feel gutted for Kvyat because he probably thought he was the one and he wanted to be the one. Albon might be up to the task but I would not have taken this risk. It's obvious the kid needs more experience, but he is quick. I expect him to be closer to Max than Gasly was, but I also expect lots of mistakes. We shall see... But Redbull and the way they treat their drivers gets a big thumbs down for me. Jeez...

Yep all those drivers who would never have gotten a chance of a top seat without Red Bull how awful they are.

Red Bull give more opportunity to young drivers than anyone else. If they find out you aren't good enough you're out. it seems fair enough

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:42 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Yep all those drivers who would never have gotten a chance of a top seat without Red Bull how awful they are.

Red Bull give more opportunity to young drivers than anyone else. If they find out you aren't good enough you're out. it seems fair enough

But what kind of a chance did Kvyatt get? Did his tenure at Redbull seem fair to you? If Albon struggles and is out at the end of the year you would still think it is a good thing?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:48 pm 

I actually like that Red Bull don't mess around with it. This is Formula One - not a feeder series where drivers need to be coached to succeed - only the best drivers should be there. There's already a whole bunch of nepotism and a lack of meritocracy in F1 so I would like to see more of this with other teams. There are other drivers out there as talented as Verstappen/Leclerc out there and they deserve their chance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:59 pm 

kleefton wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

But what kind of a chance did Kvyatt get? Did his tenure at Redbull seem fair to you? If Albon struggles and is out at the end of the year you would still think it is a good thing?

Nobody has been given as many chances as Kvyat!

They gave him a chance in STR.
When he did well they gave him a chance in the top team. He got over 20 races.
They decided he wasn't good enough for the front but rather than firing him totally the gave him a drive in the junior team for almost two whole seasons.
After a year out they brought him back for another go.

Red Bull have 4 drivers and they will put the best 2 in the best 2 seats. Kvyat wasn't one of the best 2.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:22 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
kleefton wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

They decided he wasn't good enough for the front but rather than firing him totally the gave him a drive in the junior team for almost two whole seasons.

Red Bull have 4 drivers and they will put the best 2 in the best 2 seats. Kvyat wasn't one of the best 2.

So is Gasly or Albon better than Kvyat currently? Because I am getting confused by this sentence since the other two got the RB seat this year

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:24 pm 

Also looking at their current junior programme, nobody is anywhere near the step up. Juri Vips is currently in F3 and second in the standings, but should he progress we're looking at 2021/22 at the earliest.

Red Bull don't have much to fall back on, hence the Kvyat recall for this season.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:25 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
kleefton wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

So is Gasly or Albon better than Kvyat currently? Because I am getting confused by this sentence since the other two got the RB seat this year

That is a question for Red Bull. I guess they think so.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:26 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
Also looking at their current junior programme, nobody is anywhere near the step up. Juri Vips is currently in F3 and second in the standings, but should he progress we're looking at 2021/22 at the earliest.

Red Bull don't have much to fall back on, hence the Kvyat recall for this season.

It would not surprise me to see Vips in the STR in 2020 alongside Albon/Gasly/Kvyat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:34 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:

It would not surprise me to see Vips in the STR in 2020 alongside Albon/Gasly/Kvyat.

And then subsequently dropped mid-season, to be replaced by Vergne :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:53 pm 

Smart move by Red Bull - they can see the gap between Albon and Max, then gap between Gasly and Kvyat... analyse and draw conclusions to decide the possibly best line up for 2020 (my bet is that if Gasly won't beat Kvyat he's out even from Toro Rosso)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:05 pm 

With the junior programme being pretty bare right now all Albon has to do to keep the seat for next year is look better compared to Max than Gasly did. Will be interesting to see how they all compare now in any case.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:18 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
paul_gmb wrote:
I just hope Kvyat continues to deliver in the Toro Rosso.

Maybe he's not as fast as Max, but is good enough to be in F1 for sure.

Helmut Marko ... If it hadn't been for Vettel, this guy would have been out of the job for some time now.

I don't think he's a bad person and I am sure he's passionate enough ... but he just sucks at management and people management.

Ricciardo and Verstappen were pretty good as well.

Have Red Bull ever not given a fair crack to a driver that proved to actually be good enough elsewhere?

Verstappen was never in the Red Bull junior program, he signed straight to the STR F1 team after winning 6 straight races in F3.

Sure but Albon wasn't in the Red Bull junior program either when he signed for STR so similar circumstance. Yet Marko is getting heat for him being promoted to soon. You can't criticise for one but say he has nothing to do with the other.

Well I was just highlighting his success rate is just Vettel and Ricciardo, also I don't believe it was Marko's doing to promote Verstappen, that was pressure being put on by the Verstappen's for Max to be promoted otherwise Mercedes are interested which has been a common denominator everytime for Verstappen and his contract negotiations.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:22 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:

No Juri Vips can make the step up for 2020 if he finishes top 3 in F3.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:17 pm 

An interesting decision for Red Bull to have taken. I'm wondering what their thought process was. Surely if it was simply that they wanted the "other" car to be taking the maximum points possible, Kvyat would have been more reliable - based on this years form at least. If that WASN'T the main criteria though, putting Albon in the Red Bull means risking another high-profile failure and makes a bit of a joke out of their driver program. More like a carousel than a ladder. Shouldn't the traillingand devlopment of the drivers be done BEFORE they get to F1? Isn't that kind of the point?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:50 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:
An interesting decision for Red Bull to have taken. I'm wondering what their thought process was. Surely if it was simply that they wanted the "other" car to be taking the maximum points possible, Kvyat would have been more reliable - based on this years form at least. If that WASN'T the main criteria though, putting Albon in the Red Bull means risking another high-profile failure and makes a bit of a joke out of their driver program. More like a carousel than a ladder. Shouldn't the traillingand devlopment of the drivers be done BEFORE they get to F1? Isn't that kind of the point?

At least Albon isn't putting the driver they fired twice back into the main team, it's only a 'risk' that he'll make a joke on it. Kvyat going back in there would put egg on their faces, even though I personally think he wasn't too shabby at Red Bull and they made a mountain out of his molehills of errors because they wanted to get Max in the main team.

It will be curious to see how Gasly compares to Kyvat - I'm not sure Albon is ready to go head to head with Max, but maybe they are worried Kyvat would be too close to him.

This news basically confirms that Bottas definitely isn't going to Red Bull next season though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:44 pm 

shay550 wrote:
I actually like that Red Bull don't mess around with it. This is Formula One - not a feeder series where drivers need to be coached to succeed - only the best drivers should be there. There's already a whole bunch of nepotism and a lack of meritocracy in F1 so I would like to see more of this with other teams. There are other drivers out there as talented as Verstappen/Leclerc out there and they deserve their chance.

Who is that - out there and as talented as Verstappen/Leclerc?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:44 pm 

Chance of a freaking lifetime for Albon. Landed in a Red Bull.

He needs to channel his inner Hamilton and deliver a 2007 like performance.

If Albon is mentally too weak for this move, he doesn't deserve to be in F1.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:51 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:

I don't think that's true. Kvyat is only ahead in the points because of the late gamble on slicks behind the safety car. A race where Albon drove much better. Had that late safety car not happened Kvyat would have been out of the points and Albon would have finished 4th. Albon would have 20 points and Kvyat just 12.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:42 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:

I don't think that's true. Kvyat is only ahead in the points because of the late gamble on slicks behind the safety car. A race where Albon drove much better. Had that late safety car not happened Kvyat would have been out of the points and Albon would have finished 4th. Albon would have 20 points and Kvyat just 12.

OK but if you look at finishing position rather than points, Kvyat is ahead 6/3 I think when both finished so assuming that stands if he was in Red Bull he would be scoring more than Albon.

I've no problem with the decision - it will be interesting to see how it pans out. Horners words suggest its effectively a shoot-out for the 2020 seat - just seems potentially compromising WCC points to do that seems risky. If you're evaluating Albon vs Gasly, surely demote Gasly and promote Kvyat so you have Gasly/Albon head-to-head for the remainder of the season?....

Anyway - bring it on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:54 pm 

pokerman wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:

No Juri Vips can make the step up for 2020 if he finishes top 3 in F3.

Who else is in the junior program? They dropped Ticktum, right?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:09 pm 

I'm sure Red Bull didn't want to promote Albon so quickly, but Gasly has been so poor that I don't think they have a choice but to replace him. A little surprising that they didn't choose Kvyat who has been marginally the stronger of the two Toro Rosso drivers this year, but I can speculate that they're thinking either:
1) Kvyat has driven for the team before so is a known quantity, so they're going to assess Albon to see if he is better and then pick one of them for next year
2) They have no intention of ever promoting Kvyat again and he's only at STR to fill a gap because they ran out of drivers

I'd like to think that 1) is the reality, but Marko is such an obstinate character than I feel 2) is the real reason.

Either way, I agree with what they have done here. Gasly was just not good enough, and if Albon can't make the step up then he shouldn't be in F1. I don't think he actually has as much pressure on him as some are suggesting. Gasly is not exactly a hard act to follow; as long as he's closer to Verstappen than he is to the McLarens he'll be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:09 pm 

You can't really argue with the decision to drop Gasly. He's been so far off the pace for 12 races, that likely wasn't going to change in the last 9 races, never mind changing to an extent whereby he got kept at Red Bull for next year.

I am delighted for Albon as he seems like a really nice guy and I've been quite impressed with him so far this season.

My concern is that this is too soon for him and will wreck his development. Going up against someone who many rate as the fastest on the grid right now could be too much for someone so new. In addition, having to get used to a new car mid-season will be a big challenge. I really hope I'm wrong and it doesn't wreck his development as I believe he could become a solid midfielder driver for years at the least. From an Albon point of view, I hoped they would have left it until the end of the season.

Imagine the scenes if he wins at Spa :D

A nice video from 2010:

Last edited by JN23 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:10 pm 

In terms of F1 starts, Toro Rosso's line up is now more experienced than Red Bull's.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:37 pm 

Funny how F2 drivers have ended up though - Champ in the worst car on the grid, runner up in a mid-fielder and 3rd place in one of the best!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:55 pm 

Will be interesting to see how Albon goes, I think he will go better than many here expect.

One of the founders of RedBull was Thai, I wonder if there are still Thai interests in the company that influenced the decision. Last time I was there they were still selling the stuff, I assume they still are.

Would of preferred to see them approach Ricciardo and Renault with an offer too good to refuse (but then I would rather see Merc do that)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:01 pm 

Just a thought.

I wonder how many people here who agree with Albon's promotion to the top team also believe 2020 would be too early to promote Russell to Merc ? If RB were serious about measuring Albon against Gasly, then wouldn't it be logical to put Kvyat back in the RB seat as put the other 2 head to head at TR?

If Albon beats Gasly then promote him to the top team in 2020. If Gasly beats Albon then it's obvious that neither is top team material, & it looks like RB consider Kvyat isn't either, so they look outside the RB group for 2020.

If Albon can't pull this off & make a go of it, then that effectively leaves 2 of the 4 RB drivers pretty much in F1 limbo in the fact that they'll only be in TR as RB have no other options. The 1 driver who loses the game of musical chairs will struggle to find a F1 gig again.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 336 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:05 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
12 days ago.

https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/marko-gasly-red-bull-kvyat/4503927/

The guys nothing but an evil cretin.

also a liar and an overall not very nice person.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:58 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
12 days ago.

https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/marko-gasly-red-bull-kvyat/4503927/

The guys nothing but an evil cretin.

Like many other people with a reputation for 'telling it like it is', he's a POS who just tells it like it's convenient for him. I'm baffled by how Marko ever got a reputation for straight talking.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, Marko is not a popular guy and you can disagree with his methods and his decisions - but let's keep the criticism about those things and stop hurling the colorful insults around.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:42 pm 

I'm not surprised, but I'm also not sure it's a good idea. Sure, Gasly's performance has been ghastly, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Albon is ready to take his place. We'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:14 am 

Helmut Marko is an RBR advisor and apparently decides nothing. I won't blame him so easily.