planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:31 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Albon versus Verstappen
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:23 pm
Posts: 291
How will Albon's first race at Red Bull go? How do people think he will fare against his much more experienced team mate?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:53 am
Posts: 661
He will likely be destroyed by Max. I think it will be good to see that as then Alonso has a slight chance at a Red Bull seat for 2020.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 6948
I think that he will eventually be a lot more competitive than Gasly was but probably not immediately. He has to adjust to the car and that's not easy mid-season when Max already has thousands of kilometers in that car.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 1911
I predict an FP2 crash and on the backfoot for the rest of the weekend.

_________________
#KeepFightingMichael


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:26 pm
Posts: 144
At some point Honda is going to insist on a driver of its own selection if Red Bull continues to refuse to use both cars to compete for second in the WCC.

_________________
Does anyone think that there has ever been a moment of frustration with his father when Max has pointed out to Jos that he was the Pierre Gasly of 1994?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 1524
Location: UK
MistaVega23 wrote:
I predict an FP2 crash and on the backfoot for the rest of the weekend.


Inevitable that ALL new F1 drivers prang the new car more than once when they first get into it isn't it. How else do you find the limits?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 1911
Option or Prime wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
I predict an FP2 crash and on the backfoot for the rest of the weekend.


Inevitable that ALL new F1 drivers prang the new car more than once when they first get into it isn't it. How else do you find the limits?

At least he can put it down to inexperience of the RBR. Personally I hope he has a solid first weekend.

_________________
#KeepFightingMichael


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:41 pm
Posts: 412
Albon will hit in the ground running..

Within 2 tenths in Q3. Marginal on race pace differential.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7413
Location: Michigan, USA
M44 wrote:
Albon will hit in the ground running..

Within 2 tenths in Q3. Marginal on race pace differential.

That's a bold prediction. You think Albon is as good as Ricciardo, a driver who beat Kvyat so badly he got kicked out of Red Bull? Albon has been roughly on par with Kvyat so far.

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9924
Exediron wrote:
M44 wrote:
Albon will hit in the ground running..

Within 2 tenths in Q3. Marginal on race pace differential.

That's a bold prediction. You think Albon is as good as Ricciardo, a driver who beat Kvyat so badly he got kicked out of Red Bull? Albon has been roughly on par with Kvyat so far.

That's not really accurate, he wasn't kicked out of Red Bull because he was beaten by Ricciardo but rather because he made some silly mistakes (in largely on single race). Up to that point he had the only podium of the year for the team, and beat Ricciardo in the points in the previous season.

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16245
Covalent wrote:
Exediron wrote:
M44 wrote:
Albon will hit in the ground running..

Within 2 tenths in Q3. Marginal on race pace differential.

That's a bold prediction. You think Albon is as good as Ricciardo, a driver who beat Kvyat so badly he got kicked out of Red Bull? Albon has been roughly on par with Kvyat so far.

That's not really accurate, he wasn't kicked out of Red Bull because he was beaten by Ricciardo but rather because he made some silly mistakes (in largely on single race). Up to that point he had the only podium of the year for the team, and beat Ricciardo in the points in the previous season.


Well no, if he had been doing better than Ricciardo he wouldn't have got the push. He got demoted because Red Bull felt they had a better driver in the junior team.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9924
mikeyg123 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Exediron wrote:
M44 wrote:
Albon will hit in the ground running..

Within 2 tenths in Q3. Marginal on race pace differential.

That's a bold prediction. You think Albon is as good as Ricciardo, a driver who beat Kvyat so badly he got kicked out of Red Bull? Albon has been roughly on par with Kvyat so far.

That's not really accurate, he wasn't kicked out of Red Bull because he was beaten by Ricciardo but rather because he made some silly mistakes (in largely on single race). Up to that point he had the only podium of the year for the team, and beat Ricciardo in the points in the previous season.


Well no, if he had been doing better than Ricciardo he wouldn't have got the push. He got demoted because Red Bull felt they had a better driver in the junior team.

Bad mistakes are bad mistakes regardless of what your teammate is doing.

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7413
Location: Michigan, USA
Covalent wrote:
Exediron wrote:
M44 wrote:
Albon will hit in the ground running..

Within 2 tenths in Q3. Marginal on race pace differential.

That's a bold prediction. You think Albon is as good as Ricciardo, a driver who beat Kvyat so badly he got kicked out of Red Bull? Albon has been roughly on par with Kvyat so far.

That's not really accurate, he wasn't kicked out of Red Bull because he was beaten by Ricciardo but rather because he made some silly mistakes (in largely on single race). Up to that point he had the only podium of the year for the team, and beat Ricciardo in the points in the previous season.

It is accurate. He outscored Ricciardo due to luck in 2015, and was being thrashed to the tune of about half a second per lap on average in 2016. His oft-mentioned podium came after Ricciardo had been leading the race but took a puncture: Ricciardo came back to finish right behind him anyway.

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16245
Covalent wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Exediron wrote:
M44 wrote:
Albon will hit in the ground running..

Within 2 tenths in Q3. Marginal on race pace differential.

That's a bold prediction. You think Albon is as good as Ricciardo, a driver who beat Kvyat so badly he got kicked out of Red Bull? Albon has been roughly on par with Kvyat so far.

That's not really accurate, he wasn't kicked out of Red Bull because he was beaten by Ricciardo but rather because he made some silly mistakes (in largely on single race). Up to that point he had the only podium of the year for the team, and beat Ricciardo in the points in the previous season.


Well no, if he had been doing better than Ricciardo he wouldn't have got the push. He got demoted because Red Bull felt they had a better driver in the junior team.

Bad mistakes are bad mistakes regardless of what your teammate is doing.


Yep but do we ever see a driver getting sacked for making bad mistake whilst beating their team mate? It doesn't happen.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9924
mikeyg123 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Exediron wrote:
That's a bold prediction. You think Albon is as good as Ricciardo, a driver who beat Kvyat so badly he got kicked out of Red Bull? Albon has been roughly on par with Kvyat so far.

That's not really accurate, he wasn't kicked out of Red Bull because he was beaten by Ricciardo but rather because he made some silly mistakes (in largely on single race). Up to that point he had the only podium of the year for the team, and beat Ricciardo in the points in the previous season.


Well no, if he had been doing better than Ricciardo he wouldn't have got the push. He got demoted because Red Bull felt they had a better driver in the junior team.

Bad mistakes are bad mistakes regardless of what your teammate is doing.


Yep but do we ever see a driver getting sacked for making bad mistake whilst beating their team mate? It doesn't happen.

Trulli at Renault springs to mind. But yeah I get your point.

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9924
Exediron wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Exediron wrote:
M44 wrote:
Albon will hit in the ground running..

Within 2 tenths in Q3. Marginal on race pace differential.

That's a bold prediction. You think Albon is as good as Ricciardo, a driver who beat Kvyat so badly he got kicked out of Red Bull? Albon has been roughly on par with Kvyat so far.

That's not really accurate, he wasn't kicked out of Red Bull because he was beaten by Ricciardo but rather because he made some silly mistakes (in largely on single race). Up to that point he had the only podium of the year for the team, and beat Ricciardo in the points in the previous season.

It is accurate. He outscored Ricciardo due to luck in 2015, and was being thrashed to the tune of about half a second per lap on average in 2016. His oft-mentioned podium came after Ricciardo had been leading the race but took a puncture: Ricciardo came back to finish right behind him anyway.

So you're saying had he had a "normal" race (without hitting Vettel) in Sochi he'd have been sacked anyway?

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16245
Covalent wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Exediron wrote:
M44 wrote:
Albon will hit in the ground running..

Within 2 tenths in Q3. Marginal on race pace differential.

That's a bold prediction. You think Albon is as good as Ricciardo, a driver who beat Kvyat so badly he got kicked out of Red Bull? Albon has been roughly on par with Kvyat so far.

That's not really accurate, he wasn't kicked out of Red Bull because he was beaten by Ricciardo but rather because he made some silly mistakes (in largely on single race). Up to that point he had the only podium of the year for the team, and beat Ricciardo in the points in the previous season.

It is accurate. He outscored Ricciardo due to luck in 2015, and was being thrashed to the tune of about half a second per lap on average in 2016. His oft-mentioned podium came after Ricciardo had been leading the race but took a puncture: Ricciardo came back to finish right behind him anyway.

So you're saying had he had a "normal" race (without hitting Vettel) in Sochi he'd have been sacked anyway?


I think he would.


Last edited by mikeyg123 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:15 am
Posts: 143
Really interested to see how Albon stacks up. Hoping he does really well


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 3610
Kyvat was sacked because Verstappen was better, not because he was performing badly. The first two races of 2016 used that really stupid elimination format in qualifying and it caught a lot of teams out (and I seem to remember Kyvat was very unexpected eliminated in Australia)

Yes he hit Vettel in Sochi - but at least he was in a position to hit Vettel in Sochi. Gasly would be punting out Grosjean and that really wouldn't have the same controversy.

Was Kyvat under performing - it's difficult to say conclusively although it's clear he wasn't at Ricciardo's level, however he was no where near as woeful as Gasly has been. Red Bull were looking for an excuse to create a space for Max in the main team, if they had Gasly and Albon as their Toro Rosso drivers in 2016 Kyvat would have still been driving for the main team in 2017.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9924
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Kyvat was sacked because Verstappen was better, not because he was performing badly. The first two races of 2016 used that really stupid elimination format in qualifying and it caught a lot of teams out (and I seem to remember Kyvat was very unexpected eliminated in Australia)

Yes he hit Vettel in Sochi - but at least he was in a position to hit Vettel in Sochi. Gasly would be punting out Grosjean and that really wouldn't have the same controversy.

Was Kyvat under performing - it's difficult to say conclusively although it's clear he wasn't at Ricciardo's level, however he was no where near as woeful as Gasly has been. Red Bull were looking for an excuse to create a space for Max in the main team, if they had Gasly and Albon as their Toro Rosso drivers in 2016 Kyvat would have still been driving for the main team in 2017.

:thumbup:

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:41 pm
Posts: 412
Exediron wrote:
M44 wrote:
Albon will hit in the ground running..

Within 2 tenths in Q3. Marginal on race pace differential.

That's a bold prediction. You think Albon is as good as Ricciardo, a driver who beat Kvyat so badly he got kicked out of Red Bull? Albon has been roughly on par with Kvyat so far.


Not at all Exediron - but one thought some blind optimism would lighten the predicament.

I think its a given that Albon will have a deficit to Verstappen - the question is whether Gasly beats Kvyat for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 33094
Todd wrote:
At some point Honda is going to insist on a driver of its own selection if Red Bull continues to refuse to use both cars to compete for second in the WCC.

Good point at some point they may have to bite the bullet and employ a top 10 F1 driver if their juniors continue to get nowhere near Verstappen.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 33094
M44 wrote:
Albon will hit in the ground running..

Within 2 tenths in Q3. Marginal on race pace differential.

So he hits the ground running at Ricciardo level, unlikely I would have thought?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 3401
He's going to be just as far back as Gasly was, if not further while he gets up to speed with the different car. I don't even think he'll ultimately end up any closer to Max than Pierre was.

_________________
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x3, 3rd x8
2019: 11th | 2018: 5th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 33094
Covalent wrote:
Exediron wrote:
M44 wrote:
Albon will hit in the ground running..

Within 2 tenths in Q3. Marginal on race pace differential.

That's a bold prediction. You think Albon is as good as Ricciardo, a driver who beat Kvyat so badly he got kicked out of Red Bull? Albon has been roughly on par with Kvyat so far.

That's not really accurate, he wasn't kicked out of Red Bull because he was beaten by Ricciardo but rather because he made some silly mistakes (in largely on single race). Up to that point he had the only podium of the year for the team, and beat Ricciardo in the points in the previous season.

He was getting slaughtered by Ricciardo in qualifying and the podium was a bit of a fluke as several front running cars crashed/got damaged on the opening lap.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 33094
Covalent wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Exediron wrote:
M44 wrote:
Albon will hit in the ground running..

Within 2 tenths in Q3. Marginal on race pace differential.

That's a bold prediction. You think Albon is as good as Ricciardo, a driver who beat Kvyat so badly he got kicked out of Red Bull? Albon has been roughly on par with Kvyat so far.

That's not really accurate, he wasn't kicked out of Red Bull because he was beaten by Ricciardo but rather because he made some silly mistakes (in largely on single race). Up to that point he had the only podium of the year for the team, and beat Ricciardo in the points in the previous season.


Well no, if he had been doing better than Ricciardo he wouldn't have got the push. He got demoted because Red Bull felt they had a better driver in the junior team.

Bad mistakes are bad mistakes regardless of what your teammate is doing.

How was it a bad mistake replacing Kvyat with Verstappen, for starters Verstappen won the first race.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9924
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Exediron wrote:
That's a bold prediction. You think Albon is as good as Ricciardo, a driver who beat Kvyat so badly he got kicked out of Red Bull? Albon has been roughly on par with Kvyat so far.

That's not really accurate, he wasn't kicked out of Red Bull because he was beaten by Ricciardo but rather because he made some silly mistakes (in largely on single race). Up to that point he had the only podium of the year for the team, and beat Ricciardo in the points in the previous season.


Well no, if he had been doing better than Ricciardo he wouldn't have got the push. He got demoted because Red Bull felt they had a better driver in the junior team.

Bad mistakes are bad mistakes regardless of what your teammate is doing.

How was it a bad mistake replacing Kvyat with Verstappen, for starters Verstappen won the first race.

Indeed how was it, and who has said it was?

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 33094
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
He's going to be just as far back as Gasly was, if not further while he gets up to speed with the different car. I don't even think he'll ultimately end up any closer to Max than Pierre was.

This wouldn't surprise me either but hoping Albon can get much nearer, Albon actually has some good pedigree maybe better ultimate potential than the likes of Gasly?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 33094
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
That's not really accurate, he wasn't kicked out of Red Bull because he was beaten by Ricciardo but rather because he made some silly mistakes (in largely on single race). Up to that point he had the only podium of the year for the team, and beat Ricciardo in the points in the previous season.


Well no, if he had been doing better than Ricciardo he wouldn't have got the push. He got demoted because Red Bull felt they had a better driver in the junior team.

Bad mistakes are bad mistakes regardless of what your teammate is doing.

How was it a bad mistake replacing Kvyat with Verstappen, for starters Verstappen won the first race.

Indeed how was it, and who has said it was?

Sorry I mistook that as saying it was a bad mistake by Red Bull.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 1318
Location: Stratford
If Albon ends up being as far away as Gasly was FROM Verstappen, then what is the conclusion?

We underrated Gasly when he was getting smashed by Verstappen, or they are both bottom end F1 drivers and Verstappen isn't doing anything special?

Or something else?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:28 pm
Posts: 835
Hard to say - he won't match Max though.

Albon didn't exactly set the world alight in GP2 / F2.

_________________
Should I grow a beard?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:28 pm
Posts: 835
Within 2 tenths in Q3. Marginal on race pace differential.[/quote]
That's a bold prediction. You think Albon is as good as Ricciardo, a driver who beat Kvyat so badly he got kicked out of Red Bull? Albon has been roughly on par with Kvyat so far.[/quote]
That's not really accurate, he wasn't kicked out of Red Bull because he was beaten by Ricciardo but rather because he made some silly mistakes (in largely on single race). Up to that point he had the only podium of the year for the team, and beat Ricciardo in the points in the previous season.[/quote]

Well no, if he had been doing better than Ricciardo he wouldn't have got the push. He got demoted because Red Bull felt they had a better driver in the junior team.[/quote]
Bad mistakes are bad mistakes regardless of what your teammate is doing.[/quote]
How was it a bad mistake replacing Kvyat with Verstappen, for starters Verstappen won the first race.[/quote]

If I recall correctly (no guarantees!), didn't Dan get hung out to dry on strategy on this one?

I'm not saying that Max wouldn't have won it, or didn't deserve the victory, but I can't help but feel that RB wanted Max to win that to get the record of youngest winner.

_________________
Should I grow a beard?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 33094
JN23 wrote:
If Albon ends up being as far away as Gasly was FROM Verstappen, then what is the conclusion?

We underrated Gasly when he was getting smashed by Verstappen, or they are both bottom end F1 drivers and Verstappen isn't doing anything special?

Or something else?

I think it's something inbetween, they don't expect the drivers to be as quick as Verstappen but 5 tenths is too much, 3 tenths I think they would except?

Obviously then in respect to Gasly they're seeing him as a bottom end F1 driver.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16245
pokerman wrote:
JN23 wrote:
If Albon ends up being as far away as Gasly was FROM Verstappen, then what is the conclusion?

We underrated Gasly when he was getting smashed by Verstappen, or they are both bottom end F1 drivers and Verstappen isn't doing anything special?

Or something else?

I think it's something inbetween, they don't expect the drivers to be as quick as Verstappen but 5 tenths is too much, 3 tenths I think they would except?

Obviously then in respect to Gasly they're seeing him as a bottom end F1 driver.


It's not quali that's the issue so much it's how far he was falling back in races. He was lapped in 2 out of the last 4 races by his team mate. I mean, Kubica is getting some criticism but he isn't getting lapped by Russell. Albon's task will be to beat the midfield. If he can always finish ahead of everyone but the Mercedes, the Ferrari's and Verstappen then I think that will be regarded as enough for a go in 2020. If he fails in that, and if Kvyat doesn't smash Gasly then I think they will look outside the program.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 33094
Yellowbin74 wrote:
Hard to say - he won't match Max though.

Albon didn't exactly set the world alight in GP2 / F2.

Leclerc was teammates with Albon in GP3, ask Leclerc how good Albon is, Norris had a picture of Albon on his bedroom wall during their karting years a period of time were Albon got picked up by Red Bull.

Fair enough when Albon started in cars he lost his way and got dropped by Red Bull but the last few years he's been on the way back, he took Leclerc down to the wire in GP3. In GP2 he started quite well but then broke his collar bone in a mountain bike accident which derailed his season, the following year he very much was mixing it at the front with Russell and Norris both now quite highly rated in F1.

This year he's held his own against Kvyat that's not always a gimme for a rookie and done well enough to replace Gasly, so let's see?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 33094
Yellowbin74 wrote:
If I recall correctly (no guarantees!), didn't Dan get hung out to dry on strategy on this one?

I'm not saying that Max wouldn't have won it, or didn't deserve the victory, but I can't help but feel that RB wanted Max to win that to get the record of youngest winner.

Yes Verstappen was a bit lucky to win but what was impressive about him was how he was able to keep pace with the leaders, he was only 1 second behind Ricciardo before he was sent down the strategy rabbit hole.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:37 am
Posts: 237
F1 Racer wrote:
He will likely be destroyed by Max. I think it will be good to see that as then Alonso has a slight chance at a Red Bull seat for 2020.


No chance. Not even a slight one.

That bridge has been burned and had its foundation demolished by Alonso - first by his comments on how badly RBR wasnted him to drive for them, and then by his public humiliation of Honda. The Japanese don't take kindly to public humiliation - they wouldn't sell him a Civic now, let alone have him drive for them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 33094
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
JN23 wrote:
If Albon ends up being as far away as Gasly was FROM Verstappen, then what is the conclusion?

We underrated Gasly when he was getting smashed by Verstappen, or they are both bottom end F1 drivers and Verstappen isn't doing anything special?

Or something else?

I think it's something inbetween, they don't expect the drivers to be as quick as Verstappen but 5 tenths is too much, 3 tenths I think they would except?

Obviously then in respect to Gasly they're seeing him as a bottom end F1 driver.


It's not quali that's the issue so much it's how far he was falling back in races. He was lapped in 2 out of the last 4 races by his team mate. I mean, Kubica is getting some criticism but he isn't getting lapped by Russell. Albon's task will be to beat the midfield. If he can always finish ahead of everyone but the Mercedes, the Ferrari's and Verstappen then I think that will be regarded as enough for a go in 2020. If he fails in that, and if Kvyat doesn't smash Gasly then I think they will look outside the program.

In part but still qualifying poorly in junction with poor starts has seen slower cars getting past him and then that's were his races have often unravalled.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16245
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
JN23 wrote:
If Albon ends up being as far away as Gasly was FROM Verstappen, then what is the conclusion?

We underrated Gasly when he was getting smashed by Verstappen, or they are both bottom end F1 drivers and Verstappen isn't doing anything special?

Or something else?

I think it's something inbetween, they don't expect the drivers to be as quick as Verstappen but 5 tenths is too much, 3 tenths I think they would except?

Obviously then in respect to Gasly they're seeing him as a bottom end F1 driver.


It's not quali that's the issue so much it's how far he was falling back in races. He was lapped in 2 out of the last 4 races by his team mate. I mean, Kubica is getting some criticism but he isn't getting lapped by Russell. Albon's task will be to beat the midfield. If he can always finish ahead of everyone but the Mercedes, the Ferrari's and Verstappen then I think that will be regarded as enough for a go in 2020. If he fails in that, and if Kvyat doesn't smash Gasly then I think they will look outside the program.

In part but still qualifying poorly in junction with poor starts has seen slower cars getting past him and then that's were his races have often unravalled.


It hasn't helped but he hasn't had any pace when he's been in among them in the race either. If he had the pace he'd have been able to fight his way out of the midfield after a poor start.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:53 am
Posts: 661
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
I think it's something inbetween, they don't expect the drivers to be as quick as Verstappen but 5 tenths is too much, 3 tenths I think they would except?

Obviously then in respect to Gasly they're seeing him as a bottom end F1 driver.


It's not quali that's the issue so much it's how far he was falling back in races. He was lapped in 2 out of the last 4 races by his team mate. I mean, Kubica is getting some criticism but he isn't getting lapped by Russell. Albon's task will be to beat the midfield. If he can always finish ahead of everyone but the Mercedes, the Ferrari's and Verstappen then I think that will be regarded as enough for a go in 2020. If he fails in that, and if Kvyat doesn't smash Gasly then I think they will look outside the program.


Firstly it's not just the races where the issue was, it was also qualifying. A slow driver in qualifying is usually slow in the race too and Gasly was really bad at both.

As for your assertion that all Albon has to do is bring the car home in 6th and not challenge the likes of Bottas and the Ferrari's and he will be kept for 2020 then you are wrong. Horner said of Gasly's Hungary race ''We are racing Saubers and McLarens when we should be racing Mercedes and Ferrari''. He expects both cars to be battling at the front and Albon needs to do this, even if he is a bit slower than Verstappen. He ideally needs to be close enough to Max to outqualify him from time to time.

If all Horner wanted was someone to bring the car home in 6th then Gasly was capable of doing this, as Gasly is 6th in the WDC and likely would have finished there. He wasn't fast enough to be 6th at every single race but on average he likely should have been able to secure 6th place in the WDC yet this still would have been an appallingly bad level of performance. So Albon needs to do way better than this and actually become a useful and relevant factor in the race at the sharp end. The Ferrari's were over a minute behind in Hungary so Albon will be expected to easily beat the Ferrari's on tracks where the Ferrari is poor.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group