planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:51 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:54 am 

I haven't been following drivers standings that closely this season, but I just noticed that with 58 points Calros Sainz is by far the "best of the rest" and in 7th place in the WDC. His teammate, Lando Norris, currently sits at 24 and the next driver after Sainz is Kvyat with only 33. It hasn't been a mistake free season for Sainz and he started it with three straight races out of the points, but he has been quite stellar aside from that, and the points tally doesn't lie - he brought great results for the team. I am dedicating a thread to him because he seems to fly very much under the radar and is one of the least talked about drivers on the grid.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:02 pm 

SmoothRide wrote:
I haven't been following drivers standings that closely this season, but I just noticed that with 58 points Calros Sainz is by far the "best of the rest" and in 7th place in the WDC. His teammate, Lando Norris, currently sits at 24 and the next driver after Sainz is Kvyat with only 33. It hasn't been a mistake free season for Sainz and he started it with three straight races out of the points, but he has been quite stellar aside from that, and the points tally doesn't lie - he brought great results for the team. I am dedicating a thread to him because he seems to fly very much under the radar and is one of the least talked about drivers on the grid.

He's doing OK but he is also being matched and outqualifued by a rookie. Norris has lost a huge amount of points to bad luck.

That rarely happens to an experienced driver having a great season. I think he's being flattered by the car. Put him in a Racing Point getting matched by Norris and I think he'd be getting panned.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:03 pm 

He is doing very well. I certainly believe that the Macca is much improved and is also best of the rest but Sainz has largely been maximising his results. Norris should probably be a lot closer but he has suffered some misfortune and less-than-optimal strategy at times. Don't get me wrong, Sainz has not been free of bad luck himself but I still think that Norris has had the lion's share in that respect. Between them, they have barely put a foot wrong.
Sainz has shown promise since day one. He had a few iffy races in his earlier years but has really shone this season thus far.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:19 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
SmoothRide wrote:

He's doing OK but he is also being matched and outqualifued by a rookie. Norris has lost a huge amount of points to bad luck.

That rarely happens to an experienced driver having a great season. I think he's being flattered by the car. Put him in a Racing Point getting matched by Norris and I think he'd be getting panned.

Nail on the head! out of the 2 I would say Norris is a fraction better!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:27 pm 

I think both McLaren drivers are having a decent season and are pretty well matched, it’s just that Norris can’t catch a break.

Hydraulic failure in France
Safety car ruined his strategy in Silverstone
Suspension failure in Canada
Engine failure in Spa
Engine failure in Germany

I reckon that cost him about 40 odd points through no fault of his own.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:20 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
I think both McLaren drivers are having a decent season and are pretty well matched, it’s just that Norris can’t catch a break.

Engine failure in Spa

Yep, I actually think Norris has been performing better which is why it baffles me how highly Sainz seems to be getting rated. To be out performed by a rookie a driver usually has to be pretty poor.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:45 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Engine failure in Spa

Yep, I actually think Norris has been performing better which is why it baffles me how highly Sainz seems to be getting rated. To be out performed by a rookie a driver usually has to be pretty poor.

Even if his teammate is better, and Norris does appear to be quicker, at least in qualifying, doesn't mean that Sainz can't be having a good season by his standards. I think expectation for Norris were always very high whereas for Sainz, not so much.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:32 pm 

I think mclaren have a solid pair of drivers, are doing great in terms of improvements and are starting to show the DNA that made them great.

I would love them to be pushing red bull again,

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:49 pm 

SmoothRide wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Engine failure in Spa

Even if his teammate is better, and Norris does appear to be quicker, at least in qualifying, doesn't mean that Sainz can't be having a good season by his standards. I think expectation for Norris were always very high whereas for Sainz, not so much.

Why is that then? His dad was a multiple world champion two times and four times runner up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:33 pm 

SmoothRide wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Engine failure in Spa

We wouldn't normally expect an experienced midfield guy like Sainz to look slower than a rookie. That's pretty rare. I'd say most people expected Sainz to look better against Norris than he has. Sainz is being consistent and doing OK but he's being flattered by a better than expected car.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:14 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
We wouldn't normally expect an experienced midfield guy like Sainz to look slower than a rookie. That's pretty rare. I'd say most people expected Sainz to look better against Norris than he has. Sainz is being consistent and doing OK but he's being flattered by a better than expected car.

I think it says more about Norris than Sainz to be honest. Norris is looking almost as good (arguably better, at least in qualifying) against Sainz as Max did - and Sainz isn't a rookie anymore. I think Norris is being seriously underrated this year.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:22 pm 

I can see Lando Norris getting replaced by rojo or the hulk.

Its fair to say hes just not top team stuff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:32 pm 

lord byron wrote:

Now that's a big call, especially since he just re-signed for Macca for another 3 years.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 342 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:32 pm 

lord byron wrote:

An astonishingly bad take.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:53 pm 

lord byron wrote:

What a weird statement. 8O

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:02 pm 

lord byron wrote:

I must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed this morning but I don't recognize "ROJO"??????

Little help???

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:04 pm 

Grosjean?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:12 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
Grosjean?

That's usually RoGro. :?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:20 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
lord byron wrote:

+1

What an odd thing to say.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:33 pm 

Exediron wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
lord byron wrote:

+1

What an odd thing to say.

Agreed!!! :thumbup: :nod:

Lord Byron may be a great poet but obviously know nothing about Formula 1. :nod:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:39 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
Grosjean?

J and G are often confused, I have no idea actually, just guessing, at least I recognise Norris has significant talent though!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:54 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
Grosjean?

J and G are often confused, I have no idea actually, just guessing, at least I recognise Norris has significant talent though!

Norris has significant talent and (barring extraordinary circumstances) a lock on that seat at McLaren for about 3 years. ...or at least one would think.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:55 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
Grosjean?

Norris has significant talent and (barring extraordinary circumstances) a lock on that seat at McLaren for about 3 years. ...or at least one would think.

Maybe Ferrari will buy out his contract for him to replace Vettel for 2021 or 2022 ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:57 pm 

JN23 wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
Grosjean?

Maybe Ferrari will buy out his contract for him to replace Vettel for 2021 or 2022 ;)

I think that seat is being reserved for the young Schumi.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:02 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:

He won't be in F1 until 2021 at the earliest though and that will be probably be with Alfa so they might replace Vettel before Mick Schumacher is ready.

*I'm assuming Vettel leaves Ferrari once his current contract is up at the end of next year.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:28 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:

He'll have to buck his ideas up a tad to even get into F1. Winning a reverse grid race at a circuit notoriously difficult for overtaking is one thing but in a pretty weak F2 field he hasn't exactly shone. In feature races, which translate closest to an F1 format, his only points are two 8th place finishes.