planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:36 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:45 pm 

Hi All

Just wondering what the Indycar fans on the board think about dishing out double points for the final race.

I am a HUGE Indycar fan, but I really don't like the double-points thing. I know it's just to keep things interesting in the final race but it just seems to cheapen the whole thing for me.

Fair enough double pts for the Indy 500 as it's the best race in the world but not this. Newgarden should have the title sewn up already but with this rule he's in a lot of danger.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:15 pm 

I much prefer this idea than going to a "Playoff" system like Nascar and the NHRA have gone to.

Double points has been used in circle track dirt racing and SCCA events over the years to promote key events so it's not like Indycar invented this. Everybody knows from the start of the season that Laguna Seca will be a double points race and you can plan your testing and development work accordingly.

In the end it's a bit gimmicky but I can live with it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:55 pm 

Not a huge IndyCar fan after the split, but I have been watching a little more lately.

I could take or leave it. As long as it was always known it was going to be that way, it's fair.
It will help push the title race to the last race of the season, but certainly doesn't guarantee it. I am guessing that for a lot of fans, once the championship is sewn up, the races can seem a little - eh!

Don

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:39 pm 

Personally, I am against it, Just as I was with F1. Originally, I was against the NASCAR playoff system as well, but now after a few years of it, I find it palatable.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:02 am 

Double the length and I'll back it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:18 am 

Don't like it. If anyone but Newgarden wins, it's going to put a sour taste in my mouth (unless it's Rossi winning while Newgarden DNFs, which I think would have given him the title anyway).

As for the NASCAR playoff format, I haven't followed NASCAR even casually since they introduced it. For me, that shot the credibility of a series that already had credibility issues.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:19 am 

Exediron wrote:
As for the NASCAR playoff format, I haven't followed NASCAR even casually since they introduced it. For me, that shot the credibility of a series that already had credibility issues.

:thumbup: :nod:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:31 am 

I wouldn't mind if they ran a double event weekend at Laguna Seca like they do at Belle Isle. Do a full points paying race on Saturday and another one on Sunday. Laguna Seca is one of the top handful of road courses in the United States and it would be worth seeing them race twice in one weekend, especially if the championship is on the line.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:35 am 

Mort Canard wrote:
I much prefer this idea than going to a "Playoff" system like Nascar and the NHRA have gone to.

This I totally agree with. I don't think it's a coincidence that Nascar began losing popularity right after introducing the play-off system. They have since doubled down several times making the rules ever more random and gimmicky. A couple of more recent changes went in the right direction, such as dividing races into three stages and giving points for winning each intermediate stage so that drivers have an incentive to race hard all throughout the race. This doesn't go far enough to undo the past damage though.

Mort Canard wrote:
Double points has been used in circle track dirt racing and SCCA events over the years to promote key events so it's not like Indycar invented this. Everybody knows from the start of the season that Laguna Seca will be a double points race and you can plan your testing and development work accordingly.

I don't like the double points idea because motorsports is inherently very random so a large sample of races is needed to weed out luck (whether good or bad) from having a disproportional impact on who becomes champion. No amount of preparation can prevent a small piece of debris from cutting a tire, another driver making a mistake and taking a championship contender out of a race or a myriad of other random events.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:37 am 

I don't like the idea. One race should not determine the championship unless it's a very close battle up to that race, in which case single points would be enough.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:36 pm 

I dislike double points. I can see it for the Indy 500 for the history and the importance placed on it, but for the title decider it's always felt gimicky.