planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:54 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 3555
Personally, I found it very entertaining that 8/10 cars failed to make the start of their final laps, but clearly it highlights a problem with F1, ie the power of the tow. I was mulling through my brain possible solutions and suddenly came up with one - but it may have unintended consequences, it's not like I've done a thorough risk analysis of it.

The idea is simple, once a car crosses the pit exit, the red light comes on for ten seconds, meaning the field have 10 seconds between the cars on pit exit, hopefully enough to break the tow, or at least render it less useful. Also big enough that the fastest cars can't even catch up with the slowest cars, fi they post representative times.

The driver in front should be incentivised to not go slowly - although teams may play the team game and slow the lead one down - but that can be addressed with minimum out lap times or some other system.

It also means that if teams leave it too late, they may miss the start of their lap, because allowing 90 seconds for an out lap, if the first car to leave has less than 180 seconds before the end of the session then at least one car will fail to make the start finish line - unless they go full beans and take life from their tyres.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:12 pm
Posts: 978
10 seconds is too much.. imagine 10 cars lining up in the pit lane in Q3, it will take 90secs from the 1st car to the 10th car to exit the pit lane.. well, terrible idea..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:15 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 2106
Location: Far side of Koozebane
I'm not sure this issue needs a solution. This format has worked brilliantly for many years (lets not mention Bahrain 2016 though) & I don't think the sport needs a fix to an issue the teams caused which in the end only penalised their own drivers.

Pretty much every driver in the 2nd part of Q3 could've gotten on with the job & made it in time but in the end all bar Sainz & Leclerc played it too cute, out foxed themselves & payed the penalty.

_________________
Races since last non RB, Merc, Ferrari winner (After Italy- 19) - 132 & counting.( Last win, Lotus, 17/3/13)

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 342 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 3555
Ja'a wrote:
10 seconds is too much.. imagine 10 cars lining up in the pit lane in Q3, it will take 90secs from the 1st car to the 10th car to exit the pit lane.. well, terrible idea..

I mentioned that in my post. It also wouldn't happen because teams wouldn't release their cars all at once because of this. It changes the game theory.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am
Posts: 1936
Jezza13 wrote:
I'm not sure this issue needs a solution. This format has worked brilliantly for many years (lets not mention Bahrain 2016 though) & I don't think the sport needs a fix to an issue the teams caused which in the end only penalised their own drivers.

Pretty much every driver in the 2nd part of Q3 could've gotten on with the job & made it in time but in the end all bar Sainz & Leclerc played it too cute, out foxed themselves & payed the penalty.


What about Australia 2016? :lol:

I thought that change was very silly really. But i hated the way sky were so miserable about it. At least on channel 4 they still focussed on what was mean to be happening rather than moaning about the format. That waited until afterwards.

At the moment, I don't think anything needs changing.

I just think the teams should let their drivers leave the pits about a minute earlier than they do in the final run


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:53 pm
Posts: 120
They can moan that they missed the cut off but at the end of the day they had what? 6 minutes to get out? If they all want to play games and wait for the tow etc then it's tough.

Once again the so called 'pinnacle' of motorsport is an absolute laughing stock

_________________
Alfa Romeo Racing

PF1 Autosport GP 2017: 3rd Place


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:32 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 2106
Location: Far side of Koozebane
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
I'm not sure this issue needs a solution. This format has worked brilliantly for many years (lets not mention Bahrain 2016 though) & I don't think the sport needs a fix to an issue the teams caused which in the end only penalised their own drivers.

Pretty much every driver in the 2nd part of Q3 could've gotten on with the job & made it in time but in the end all bar Sainz & Leclerc played it too cute, out foxed themselves & payed the penalty.


What about Australia 2016? :lol:

I thought that change was very silly really. But i hated the way sky were so miserable about it. At least on channel 4 they still focussed on what was mean to be happening rather than moaning about the format. That waited until afterwards.

At the moment, I don't think anything needs changing.

I just think the teams should let their drivers leave the pits about a minute earlier than they do in the final run


Yeah. Australia. That's what I meant. :uhoh:

_________________
Races since last non RB, Merc, Ferrari winner (After Italy- 19) - 132 & counting.( Last win, Lotus, 17/3/13)

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 342 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 1215
What a disaster that was Smfh.... firstly if they are going to have rules enforced for track limitations then they NEED to be enforced for every driver. Vettel was all 4 wheels off and no penalty was given... Then on the first Q3 runs Vettel “locks up” and blows turn 1 to rejoin in traffic to get a tow.

The same tactic was then used by hulkenberg whom blows turn 1 then slows the entire field because he didn’t want to be the first car. That should be some penalties handed right there...

Solution once you cross the pit exit line that is your position like it or not and proceed with your grid slot.

_________________
PF1 pick 10 2016: 7th (1 win, 4 podiums), 2017: 17th (3 podiums)
Awards: Sergio perez trophy & Podium specialist
PF1 pick 3 2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th
Autosport Gp 2016/17 - 5th
F1 Oracle 2017: 2nd (6 wins), 2016:5th (2wins)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 6810
There's no need to do anything. This is the first time that this has happened and let's hope the teams are smart enough to make it the last.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:43 pm 
Online

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 1350
Location: UK
What about Hamilton and Bottas at Spa last week, same dawdling for position.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 1137
Location: Kansas
Well we can always go to single car qualifying but that would leave most F1 fans tearing their hair out.

_________________
Mission WinLater


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 1215
Mort Canard wrote:
Well we can always go to single car qualifying but that would leave most F1 fans tearing their hair out.



That would be horrible.... The format is fine, just today was a horrible display of judgement by all parties involved

_________________
PF1 pick 10 2016: 7th (1 win, 4 podiums), 2017: 17th (3 podiums)
Awards: Sergio perez trophy & Podium specialist
PF1 pick 3 2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th
Autosport Gp 2016/17 - 5th
F1 Oracle 2017: 2nd (6 wins), 2016:5th (2wins)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:29 pm
Posts: 2503
I thought what we saw was great entertainment today and hope F1 don't do anything rash to try change the perfectly fine qualifying format. You're suggestion is an interesting prospect, but I think it would bring up the same problem seen today, only in a different light. If it takes 90 seconds to go around the circuit to start a flyer, then one team must make the decision to release their cars 180 seconds before the chequered flag in order for everyone to cross the line. Frankly, this will not happen (especially considering if track conditions are improving) and there would be an instantaneous reaction to the first driver leaving the pits, and whoever leaves last, loses.

I love the qualifying format we have now, and it is perfect for changeable conditions. The decision to change the format a few years ago is what I'd consider the worst idea I've heard from the FIA. It baffles me as to how they couldn't foresee what would happen.

_________________
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:46 am
Posts: 296
Location: Suffolk, UK
Option or Prime wrote:
What about Hamilton and Bottas at Spa last week, same dawdling for position.


Yes, I think this is a problem not specific to Monza and slip-streaming.
These Pirelli soft tyres seem to need to be used very gently on their out-lap, thus encouraging slow out-laps everywhere. I would have thought a minimum lap-time would solve it - so an out-lap must be no slower than (say) the driver's fastest lap * 120%. If it is, the fast-lap following is not allowed. Next year Pirelli will hopefully be able to develop a tyre that can produce its best from a medium speed out-lap, but if not, no problem - everyone would be affected the same..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:03 pm
Posts: 1390
sandman1347 wrote:
There's no need to do anything. This is the first time that this has happened and let's hope the teams are smart enough to make it the last.

:thumbup:

_________________
===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶===


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4118
wolfticket wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
There's no need to do anything. This is the first time that this has happened and let's hope the teams are smart enough to make it the last.

:thumbup:


It may be very very rare, but if you think how frustrated we were watching on TV, imagine those that paid big money to watch it live.

A simple rule or two is all that's needed and even if those rules are needed for 99.9% of races, it would be useful for .1% of them.

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 6810
Asphalt_World wrote:
wolfticket wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
There's no need to do anything. This is the first time that this has happened and let's hope the teams are smart enough to make it the last.

:thumbup:


It may be very very rare, but if you think how frustrated we were watching on TV, imagine those that paid big money to watch it live.

A simple rule or two is all that's needed and even if those rules are needed for 99.9% of races, it would be useful for .1% of them.

There are already too many rules in F1. Let's not make any more please. Whenever you make a rule, there are intended consequences as well as unintended. For an incident that has literally happened once, I don't think you need to clutter the books with more legislation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4118
sandman1347 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
wolfticket wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
There's no need to do anything. This is the first time that this has happened and let's hope the teams are smart enough to make it the last.

:thumbup:


It may be very very rare, but if you think how frustrated we were watching on TV, imagine those that paid big money to watch it live.

A simple rule or two is all that's needed and even if those rules are needed for 99.9% of races, it would be useful for .1% of them.

There are already too many rules in F1. Let's not make any more please. Whenever you make a rule, there are intended consequences as well as unintended. For an incident that has literally happened once, I don't think you need to clutter the books with more legislation.


So, what are the rules you'd remove?

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 6810
Asphalt_World wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
wolfticket wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
There's no need to do anything. This is the first time that this has happened and let's hope the teams are smart enough to make it the last.

:thumbup:


It may be very very rare, but if you think how frustrated we were watching on TV, imagine those that paid big money to watch it live.

A simple rule or two is all that's needed and even if those rules are needed for 99.9% of races, it would be useful for .1% of them.

There are already too many rules in F1. Let's not make any more please. Whenever you make a rule, there are intended consequences as well as unintended. For an incident that has literally happened once, I don't think you need to clutter the books with more legislation.


So, what are the rules you'd remove?

No offense intended but I'm not going to go through the rule book and provide edits on a weekend.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4118
Post removed because I cocked it up!

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Last edited by Asphalt_World on Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 1118
Location: Stratford
I get that this is the first time this has happened so no need to change rules etc. But will we not get the same next year? There will still be no one wanting to be at the front of the line


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4118
Post removed again because I've had too much coffee and can't concentrate! Bear with.....

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Last edited by Asphalt_World on Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:13 pm
Posts: 1399
It is not the procedures that caused this farce, it stems from tires that are good for just one lap, have a very fine temperature range, and that they come out of the pits with hot tires.

Ban tire warmers, make the tires less specific in their operating range, and severely penalize anyone going too slow relative to how fast they should be going. If not one day some driver will be going full chat and smash into the back of a car driving like my granny.

_________________
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 1118
Location: Stratford
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
It is not the procedures that caused this farce, it stems from tires that are good for just one lap, have a very fine temperature range, and that they come out of the pits with hot tires.

Ban tire warmers, make the tires less specific in their operating range, and severely penalize anyone going too slow relative to how fast they should be going. If not one day some driver will be going full chat and smash into the back of a car driving like my granny.


Wasn't the issue today that everyone wanted a tow, not the tires? They went so slowly that some of them will have had tires not at an optimal temperature anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4118
sandman1347 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
wolfticket wrote:
:thumbup:


It may be very very rare, but if you think how frustrated we were watching on TV, imagine those that paid big money to watch it live.

A simple rule or two is all that's needed and even if those rules are needed for 99.9% of races, it would be useful for .1% of them.

There are already too many rules in F1. Let's not make any more please. Whenever you make a rule, there are intended consequences as well as unintended. For an incident that has literally happened once, I don't think you need to clutter the books with more legislation.


So, what are the rules you'd remove?

No offense intended but I'm not going to go through the rule book and provide edits on a weekend.


No offence taken, but if you need to go through a rule book to find a rule you don't think F1 needs, then how do you know there's too many rules? Perhaps they're all needed.

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 6810
Sigh, lot's of assumptions there Asphalt. I didn't say I can't name one without looking at the rule book. You asked "what are the rules you'd remove?" For me to give a complete answer, I would need the rule book and I would need to spend a lot of time going through it to find the rules that I would remove. That's time that I don't want to spend. To take my explanation and use it to assert that all of the rules must be necessary is just...well in order to avoid being roped into further debate, let's just say I disagree.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4118
sandman1347 wrote:
Sigh, lot's of assumptions there Asphalt. I didn't say I can't name one without looking at the rule book. You asked "what are the rules you'd remove?" For me to give a complete answer, I would need the rule book and I would need to spend a lot of time going through it to find the rules that I would remove. That's time that I don't want to spend. To take my explanation and use it to assert that all of the rules must be necessary is just...well in order to avoid being roped into further debate, let's just say I disagree.


My only assumption was to assume that you thought there were too many rules because some were unnecessary and you'd know of some. If you don't know of any that are unnecessary, then perhaps there aren't too many because they are all needed. I'm not trying to offend here.

This is a bit like brexitiers who claim the EU are crap because they make rules for us but can never name a rule they'd get rid of after we leave!

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 6810
Asphalt_World wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Sigh, lot's of assumptions there Asphalt. I didn't say I can't name one without looking at the rule book. You asked "what are the rules you'd remove?" For me to give a complete answer, I would need the rule book and I would need to spend a lot of time going through it to find the rules that I would remove. That's time that I don't want to spend. To take my explanation and use it to assert that all of the rules must be necessary is just...well in order to avoid being roped into further debate, let's just say I disagree.


My only assumption was to assume that you thought there were too many rules because some were unnecessary and you'd know of some. If you don't know of any that are unnecessary, then perhaps there aren't too many because they are all needed. I'm not trying to offend here.

This is a bit like brexitiers who claim the EU are crap because they make rules for us but can never name a rule they'd get rid of after we leave!

Where do you come up with the bold part? That is called an assumption and it's the whole premise of this argument you seem to want to start. I don't know all of the rules that are unnecessary or that I would remove without looking at a rule book but that doesn't mean I don't know any. Jeez it's frustrating in here some times.

Since you will undoubtedly pester me until I name some: I would remove the rule that drivers have to use their tires from Q2 to start the race. I would also remove the rule that forces drivers to use both compounds during a race. I would eliminate any and all rules regarding team orders or driver communication with the pit wall.

That's just a start. Many rules are written in such a way that you would have to take the time to read them in order to properly assess their importance, whether to leave them, amend them or outright remove them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4118
The bold was was simply posted because you'd earlier stated that you didn't want to read through a rule book at the weekend to find some, or words that that effect anyway. Therefore, it stood to reason that you didn't know of any. Not saying that was true, but it certainly read like that.

Anyway, we digress.

If two rules were brought in and stuck to, such as minimum out/in lap time for quali and minimum speed allowed on track during quali, would that really complicate things too much? It really wouldn't because those rules would never need to come in to play but I'm sure they would avoid today's situation ever happening again. That was all I wanted to add to the rule book.

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 6810
Asphalt_World wrote:
The bold was was simply posted because you'd earlier stated that you didn't want to read through a rule book at the weekend to find some, or words that that effect anyway. Therefore, it stood to reason that you didn't know of any. Not saying that was true, but it certainly read like that.

Anyway, we digress.

If two rules were brought in and stuck to, such as minimum out/in lap time for quali and minimum speed allowed on track during quali, would that really complicate things too much? It really wouldn't because those rules would never need to come in to play but I'm sure they would avoid today's situation ever happening again. That was all I wanted to add to the rule book.

No that's not what I said. This is apparently where the problem comes in (actually reading what I wrote instead of altering it for the purpose of starting a pointless argument).

As for the rule you propose; it might prevent what happened today from happening again but it would also have unintended consequences; such as people getting penalties when there are extenuating circumstances that perhaps prevent them from meeting these minimum time/speed requirements. This would then lead to additional disappointment from fans that would otherwise not have existed. All this to remove the possibility of something which has only happened once...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4118
sandman1347 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
The bold was was simply posted because you'd earlier stated that you didn't want to read through a rule book at the weekend to find some, or words that that effect anyway. Therefore, it stood to reason that you didn't know of any. Not saying that was true, but it certainly read like that.

Anyway, we digress.

If two rules were brought in and stuck to, such as minimum out/in lap time for quali and minimum speed allowed on track during quali, would that really complicate things too much? It really wouldn't because those rules would never need to come in to play but I'm sure they would avoid today's situation ever happening again. That was all I wanted to add to the rule book.

No that's not what I said. This is apparently where the problem comes in (actually reading what I wrote instead of altering it for the purpose of starting a pointless argument).

As for the rule you propose; it might prevent what happened today from happening again but it would also have unintended consequences; such as people getting penalties when there are extenuating circumstances that perhaps prevent them from meeting these minimum time/speed requirements. This would then lead to additional disappointment from fans that would otherwise not have existed. All this to remove the possibility of something which has only happened once...


What post of yours did I alter?

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 6810
Asphalt_World wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
The bold was was simply posted because you'd earlier stated that you didn't want to read through a rule book at the weekend to find some, or words that that effect anyway. Therefore, it stood to reason that you didn't know of any. Not saying that was true, but it certainly read like that.

Anyway, we digress.

If two rules were brought in and stuck to, such as minimum out/in lap time for quali and minimum speed allowed on track during quali, would that really complicate things too much? It really wouldn't because those rules would never need to come in to play but I'm sure they would avoid today's situation ever happening again. That was all I wanted to add to the rule book.

No that's not what I said. This is apparently where the problem comes in (actually reading what I wrote instead of altering it for the purpose of starting a pointless argument).

As for the rule you propose; it might prevent what happened today from happening again but it would also have unintended consequences; such as people getting penalties when there are extenuating circumstances that perhaps prevent them from meeting these minimum time/speed requirements. This would then lead to additional disappointment from fans that would otherwise not have existed. All this to remove the possibility of something which has only happened once...


What post of yours did I alter?

The alteration takes place between your ears when you read "No offense intended but I'm not going to go through the rule book and provide edits on a weekend." as somehow suggesting that I cannot name a single rule I would get rid of. I didn't mean that you actually changed my words in your posts. I meant that your whole argument is against something that I never even said and that is not even true.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:54 am
Posts: 154
I think there should be a maximum lap time allowed- both for outlaps and another for cooldown laps. Maybe a 120% of a time derived from P1-P3 stats.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4118
sandman1347 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
The bold was was simply posted because you'd earlier stated that you didn't want to read through a rule book at the weekend to find some, or words that that effect anyway. Therefore, it stood to reason that you didn't know of any. Not saying that was true, but it certainly read like that.

Anyway, we digress.

If two rules were brought in and stuck to, such as minimum out/in lap time for quali and minimum speed allowed on track during quali, would that really complicate things too much? It really wouldn't because those rules would never need to come in to play but I'm sure they would avoid today's situation ever happening again. That was all I wanted to add to the rule book.

No that's not what I said. This is apparently where the problem comes in (actually reading what I wrote instead of altering it for the purpose of starting a pointless argument).

As for the rule you propose; it might prevent what happened today from happening again but it would also have unintended consequences; such as people getting penalties when there are extenuating circumstances that perhaps prevent them from meeting these minimum time/speed requirements. This would then lead to additional disappointment from fans that would otherwise not have existed. All this to remove the possibility of something which has only happened once...


What post of yours did I alter?

The alteration takes place between your ears when you read "No offense intended but I'm not going to go through the rule book and provide edits on a weekend." as somehow suggesting that I cannot name a single rule I would get rid of. I didn't mean that you actually changed my words in your posts. I meant that your whole argument is against something that I never even said and that is not even true.


If I stated that Hamilton has made too many mistakes this season to be regarded as the best, people would understandably expect me to be able to identify the evidence of this, not state that I don't have time to go through all the races to find them. I'd be making a statement and therefore should be able to justify it.

You said there are already too many rules in F1. It's therefore surely not unreasonable to expect you to quote some without having to look through a rule book to find some you don't want, something you said. The fact you quoted some in a later post does not make my earlier request for some examples invalid at the time I posted it.

I think we can all agree that it stands to reason that for there to be too many rules, some of them should be unnecessary. Me asking for clarification seems to have rubbed you up the wrong way. It wasn't supposed to. I'm guessing I'll get picked up for claiming you've been rubbed up the wrong way now and that you haven't, so to get in first, it's just an expression and I'm not stating it as fact.

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4118
Anyway, I need some sleep before a morning of climbing!!!!! Role on the race.

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 6810
Asphalt_World wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
The bold was was simply posted because you'd earlier stated that you didn't want to read through a rule book at the weekend to find some, or words that that effect anyway. Therefore, it stood to reason that you didn't know of any. Not saying that was true, but it certainly read like that.

Anyway, we digress.

If two rules were brought in and stuck to, such as minimum out/in lap time for quali and minimum speed allowed on track during quali, would that really complicate things too much? It really wouldn't because those rules would never need to come in to play but I'm sure they would avoid today's situation ever happening again. That was all I wanted to add to the rule book.

No that's not what I said. This is apparently where the problem comes in (actually reading what I wrote instead of altering it for the purpose of starting a pointless argument).

As for the rule you propose; it might prevent what happened today from happening again but it would also have unintended consequences; such as people getting penalties when there are extenuating circumstances that perhaps prevent them from meeting these minimum time/speed requirements. This would then lead to additional disappointment from fans that would otherwise not have existed. All this to remove the possibility of something which has only happened once...


What post of yours did I alter?

The alteration takes place between your ears when you read "No offense intended but I'm not going to go through the rule book and provide edits on a weekend." as somehow suggesting that I cannot name a single rule I would get rid of. I didn't mean that you actually changed my words in your posts. I meant that your whole argument is against something that I never even said and that is not even true.


If I stated that Hamilton has made too many mistakes this season to be regarded as the best, people would understandably expect me to be able to identify the evidence of this, not state that I don't have time to go through all the races to find them. I'd be making a statement and therefore should be able to justify it.

You said there are already too many rules in F1. It's therefore surely not unreasonable to expect you to quote some without having to look through a rule book to find some you don't want, something you said. The fact you quoted some in a later post does not make my earlier request for some examples invalid at the time I posted it.

I think we can all agree that it stands to reason that for there to be too many rules, some of them should be unnecessary. Me asking for clarification seems to have rubbed you up the wrong way. It wasn't supposed to. I'm guessing I'll get picked up for claiming you've been rubbed up the wrong way now and that you haven't, so to get in first, it's just an expression and I'm not stating it as fact.

What you actually said was, "So, what are the rules you'd remove?". You didn't say "name one" or "provide some examples". The way you wrote it is comprehensive. Now I'm sure I could go through the rule book and edit it down to what I personally would keep but that would take more time than I am willing to spend. That was what I was trying to express in my initial response. Of course the subsequent correspondence has defeated the purpose of that post. In hindsight, should have simply edited the rule book...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:03 pm
Posts: 1390
Asphalt_World wrote:
wolfticket wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
There's no need to do anything. This is the first time that this has happened and let's hope the teams are smart enough to make it the last.

:thumbup:


It may be very very rare, but if you think how frustrated we were watching on TV, imagine those that paid big money to watch it live.

A simple rule or two is all that's needed and even if those rules are needed for 99.9% of races, it would be useful for .1% of them.

The thing about this was that it wasn't a case where teams discovered an effective strategy that ruined the excitement. They messed up and it cost them. It is in their interests not to let it happen again. That should be as effective as any rule change.

Also let's also not discount the far more frequent (and thus less notable) times using strategy, fighting for position and being brave with the time limit adds to the excitement of qualifying for the aforementioned viewers.
That is because there is jeopardy which is why something like today is possible. I think that if you remove that jeopardy by making it more regimented you might remove the ".1%" chance of this happening again, but you might well detract from the 99.9% where it doesn't. I don't think that is worth it.

_________________
===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶===


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 784
Location: McKinney, TX
:lol:

You literally made me laugh out loud, Sandman.

:thumbup:

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 15780
I don't think it needs a solution. We can't just keep removing variables. If you mess up doing it there is a natural punishment anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:05 pm
Posts: 2662
Location: Finland
The current format is otherwise fine, but personally I would like to see Q3 changed into one shot qualifying. That way we would be able to follow the fight for pole more closely. Currently up to 5 cars are able to fight for pole so it's impossible to have tv coverage of their laps at the same time, and hence sometimes the polesitter ends up being the one who wasn't even followed on the broadcast. The only downside I see to this is if the weather changes during Q3 so all drivers might not get equal running conditions. But, on the other hand, this format would eliminate the chance of getting a flying lap ruined by a slow driving car or yellow/red flag, which can be even more disappointing.

_________________
“I'm happy, but there's nothing to jump around about.”


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FormulaFun, Jezza13, lucifers, Mod Yellow, Option or Prime and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group