planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:41 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic

Driver(s) of the day for me is/are:
1. Lewis Hamilton 32%  32%  [ 41 ]
2. Valtteri Bottas 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
3. Sebastian Vettel 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
4. Charles Leclerc 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
5. Alexander Albon 8%  8%  [ 10 ]
6. Max Verstappen 5%  5%  [ 6 ]
7. Sergio Perez 23%  23%  [ 29 ]
8. Lance Stroll 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
9. Robert Kubica 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
10. George Russell 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
11. Carlos Sainz 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
12. Lando Norris 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
13. Pierre Gasly 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
14. Daniil Kvyat 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
15. Romain Grosjean 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
16. Kevin Magnussen 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
17. Nico Hulkenberg 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
18. Daniel Ricciardo 17%  17%  [ 22 ]
19. Kimi Raikkonen 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
20. Antonio Giovinazzi 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 128
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am
Posts: 2937
As far as Verstappen goes, that depends on your point of view in terms of his incidents, neither of which I think that he can take the bulk of the blame for. I personally thought that he was unlucky with both Mercedes drivers and that his comeback to sixth was quite brilliant.

Edited for typo.

_________________
Where I'm going, I don't need roads


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:24 am 
Online

Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:21 pm
Posts: 2653
tootsie323 wrote:
As far as Verstappen goes, that depends on your point of view in terms of his incidents, neither of which I think that he can take the bulk of the blame for. I personally thought that he was unlucky with both Mercedes drivers and that his comeback to sixth was quite brilliant.

Edited for typo.


Yeah but surely you have to consider that of he had shown more patience and maturity then he could have won the race... It's no use overtaking someone when they are just going to do you down the back straight. That is a lack of racing intelligence & craft an area he desperately needs to improve on


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16289
FormulaFun wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
As far as Verstappen goes, that depends on your point of view in terms of his incidents, neither of which I think that he can take the bulk of the blame for. I personally thought that he was unlucky with both Mercedes drivers and that his comeback to sixth was quite brilliant.

Edited for typo.


Yeah but surely you have to consider that of he had shown more patience and maturity then he could have won the race... It's no use overtaking someone when they are just going to do you down the back straight. That is a lack of racing intelligence & craft an area he desperately needs to improve on


I disagree. We saw from the race that the top 6 couldn't even get close to overtaking each other. It's not a stretch to say that could have been Verstappen's only chance to overtake Bottas. And why are you so certain that Bottas would pass him straight back? They would both have DRS. There was nothing in that race that would indicate that Bottas would have a slam dunk pass.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7433
Location: Michigan, USA
FormulaFun wrote:
Yeah but surely you have to consider that of he had shown more patience and maturity then he could have won the race... It's no use overtaking someone when they are just going to do you down the back straight. That is a lack of racing intelligence & craft an area he desperately needs to improve on

As someone who's been quite vocal that I don't consider Max a very mature driver, even I don't agree with this. Max had an opportunity for a clean overtake, and had it pulled off before Bottas clumsily hit him. It's not reasonable to say he shouldn't have gone for it just because he might get re-passed on the straight.

Now, someone with more patience and maturity absolutely could have won the race -- from pole, by not being stupid on Saturday. But the Bottas incident isn't an example of that immaturity.

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:37 pm 
Online

Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:21 pm
Posts: 2653
Exediron wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
Yeah but surely you have to consider that of he had shown more patience and maturity then he could have won the race... It's no use overtaking someone when they are just going to do you down the back straight. That is a lack of racing intelligence & craft an area he desperately needs to improve on

As someone who's been quite vocal that I don't consider Max a very mature driver, even I don't agree with this. Max had an opportunity for a clean overtake, and had it pulled off before Bottas clumsily hit him. It's not reasonable to say he shouldn't have gone for it just because he might get re-passed on the straight.

Now, someone with more patience and maturity absolutely could have won the race -- from pole, by not being stupid on Saturday. But the Bottas incident isn't an example of that immaturity.


There's no if about it, there was absolutely no way he wouldn't get re-passed down the straight - and Verstappen didn't have drs only bottas would have. But I dont disagree that his major mistake was saturday


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16289
FormulaFun wrote:
Exediron wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
Yeah but surely you have to consider that of he had shown more patience and maturity then he could have won the race... It's no use overtaking someone when they are just going to do you down the back straight. That is a lack of racing intelligence & craft an area he desperately needs to improve on

As someone who's been quite vocal that I don't consider Max a very mature driver, even I don't agree with this. Max had an opportunity for a clean overtake, and had it pulled off before Bottas clumsily hit him. It's not reasonable to say he shouldn't have gone for it just because he might get re-passed on the straight.

Now, someone with more patience and maturity absolutely could have won the race -- from pole, by not being stupid on Saturday. But the Bottas incident isn't an example of that immaturity.


There's no if about it, there was absolutely no way he wouldn't get re-passed down the straight - and Verstappen didn't have drs only bottas would have. But I dont disagree that his major mistake was saturday


No you're not right. Verstappen would have had DRS off of the Mclaren in front. Bottas would have lost time through the last corner. In no way would it have been a slam dunk pass.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:41 am 
Online

Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:21 pm
Posts: 2653
mikeyg123 wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
Exediron wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
Yeah but surely you have to consider that of he had shown more patience and maturity then he could have won the race... It's no use overtaking someone when they are just going to do you down the back straight. That is a lack of racing intelligence & craft an area he desperately needs to improve on

As someone who's been quite vocal that I don't consider Max a very mature driver, even I don't agree with this. Max had an opportunity for a clean overtake, and had it pulled off before Bottas clumsily hit him. It's not reasonable to say he shouldn't have gone for it just because he might get re-passed on the straight.

Now, someone with more patience and maturity absolutely could have won the race -- from pole, by not being stupid on Saturday. But the Bottas incident isn't an example of that immaturity.


There's no if about it, there was absolutely no way he wouldn't get re-passed down the straight - and Verstappen didn't have drs only bottas would have. But I dont disagree that his major mistake was saturday


No you're not right. Verstappen would have had DRS off of the Mclaren in front. Bottas would have lost time through the last corner. In no way would it have been a slam dunk pass.


You want to post some evidence of this then? Because what I'm basing my position off is below, if you can show me otherwise that will be good

Verstappen after the final corner and before the activation point was 1.328 behind Norris and Bottas 0.501 behind Verstappen. Verstappen then also didn't activate his DRS during the straight


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am
Posts: 2937
One may argue that had Bottas not hit Verstappen it would have been because he had to hold back on accelerating out of that corner and therefore would have been further back - possibly out of DRS range.
Verstappen's error was on Saturday - but this poll is for driver of Sunday. I don't think that it's unreasonable to consider Verstappen in this respect.

_________________
Where I'm going, I don't need roads


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16289
FormulaFun wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
Exediron wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
Yeah but surely you have to consider that of he had shown more patience and maturity then he could have won the race... It's no use overtaking someone when they are just going to do you down the back straight. That is a lack of racing intelligence & craft an area he desperately needs to improve on

As someone who's been quite vocal that I don't consider Max a very mature driver, even I don't agree with this. Max had an opportunity for a clean overtake, and had it pulled off before Bottas clumsily hit him. It's not reasonable to say he shouldn't have gone for it just because he might get re-passed on the straight.

Now, someone with more patience and maturity absolutely could have won the race -- from pole, by not being stupid on Saturday. But the Bottas incident isn't an example of that immaturity.


There's no if about it, there was absolutely no way he wouldn't get re-passed down the straight - and Verstappen didn't have drs only bottas would have. But I dont disagree that his major mistake was saturday


No you're not right. Verstappen would have had DRS off of the Mclaren in front. Bottas would have lost time through the last corner. In no way would it have been a slam dunk pass.


You want to post some evidence of this then? Because what I'm basing my position off is below, if you can show me otherwise that will be good

Verstappen after the final corner and before the activation point was 1.328 behind Norris and Bottas 0.501 behind Verstappen. Verstappen then also didn't activate his DRS during the straight


Fair enough. I'm obviously wrong about that. It doesn't change my view that Verstappen was right to try and overtake Bottas when he did.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FormulaFun and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group