planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:35 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4406
As far as UK coverage is concerned, I look at the entire package we get to see for MotoGP and see that it is vastly superior to the package we get for F1, Sky or Channel 4.

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 6783
Location: Nebraska, USA
Mort Canard wrote:
From our coverage here in the US I always liked Bob Varsha. He left the joke cracking to David Hobbs and occasionally to Steve Matchett, the two color commentators. Bob just pretty much announced the race and facilitated the discussion with the commentators and the pit reporter(s).

Please give me an announcer who knows enough about Formula 1 not to trip over his own stupidity, but also doesn't have to be the center of attention. Let the commentators be the Grand Old Men of the Sport.


YES!!!

_________________
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:23 am
Posts: 3079
COTA 2019. Didnt know the order of the first four cars, which way round the Ferrari's were, and mistook the big 5 on the front of the Ferrari for Leclerc. Then thought the boxed in Renault was going to overtake Vettel, completely missing Norris in the prime position.





'Massa doesn't know whats happened there!' Neither does croft

And still talking twaddle back then as well. :uhoh:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am
Posts: 2196
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAMtxFydhBk

This Video is very good at showing how the graphics have changed over recent years. I've got to say that I still think the old way of showing the drivers positions is significantly better. At 10:08. I know, it doesn't show you all the drivers, but it does change every few seconds. But look how discrete the bar is neatly places in the middle at the bottom of the screen. Barely takes up any room at all and you can still see the time gaps. When there is a fight going on, a little more pops up, but doesn't make everything look overwhelming...

They now have a humongous bar on the left hand side which I clearly think is oversized. I personally think the font is massively oversized too. I mean i sit some distance from a small computer monitor when watching everything. I don't know why it needs to be this size for the average views. It just feels big like every site is now probably to make it useable on mobile devices. There should be something different done for that.

At 13:09 is the difference I am talking about compared to a few years ago. Even if you ignore the team radio and stupid overtaking probability, the size of that bar compared to the old graphics is huge. And it is nowhere near transparent enough and it drives me insane when cars keep driving behind it.

I think most of what liberty are introducing to the race coverage screen is ruining it.

This article was interesting and it seemed from the comments, many think similar to me that there is just to much of a mess now. https://www.racefans.net/2019/10/30/too ... -graphics/

The first picture is bad enough. The graphics must sometimes fill almost a third of the screen. I sometimes feel like turning the coverage off when that happens. I think you should be able to view these things on a separate device and enjoy a bigger, far less cluttered picture of the coverage.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16533
I've never really had an issue with the graphics tbh. In the photo you linked what are they hiding that you would need to see?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am
Posts: 2196
mikeyg123 wrote:
I've never really had an issue with the graphics tbh. In the photo you linked what are they hiding that you would need to see?

I guess i should have suggested that it is when this much information is visible at other times that it is a problem. Like when Vettel was right ahead of Hamilton at the end of the japanese Grand prix. They were showing this much then while they were showing them both close together.

Even worse, it was showing a big box for "vote for your driver of the day" and vettel's team radio. And Vettel's name, number and team. And all the drivers positions. And they were showing it from the rear of Vettel's car and it did block some of it.


I guess many are ok with this but i think it an absolute mess and a lot of it is pointless. They are showing Vettel is speaking on the radio as well as following from his car. Don't see why they need to show his name and driver of the weekend poll all at once....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 33518
sandman1347 wrote:
Honestly I'd like to see both Crofty and Brundle replaced for different reasons. Croft for his incompetence and lack of focus and Brundle for the fact that his views fail to evolve with current events. The broadcast is in need of fresh blood.

Brundle seems to have got old and lost his vibrancy, something I guess that can happen when you've been doing the same thing for many years.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am
Posts: 2196
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Honestly I'd like to see both Crofty and Brundle replaced for different reasons. Croft for his incompetence and lack of focus and Brundle for the fact that his views fail to evolve with current events. The broadcast is in need of fresh blood.

Brundle seems to have got old and lost his vibrancy, something I guess that can happen when you've been doing the same thing for many years.

I think brundle just needs DC again. They got on so well in 2011.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:04 pm
Posts: 64
I like the graphics packages fine enough as they are. Adds some suspense when the racing adds none. Suspense is what you whiners want, isn't it?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16533
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I've never really had an issue with the graphics tbh. In the photo you linked what are they hiding that you would need to see?

I guess i should have suggested that it is when this much information is visible at other times that it is a problem. Like when Vettel was right ahead of Hamilton at the end of the japanese Grand prix. They were showing this much then while they were showing them both close together.

Even worse, it was showing a big box for "vote for your driver of the day" and vettel's team radio. And Vettel's name, number and team. And all the drivers positions. And they were showing it from the rear of Vettel's car and it did block some of it.


I guess many are ok with this but i think it an absolute mess and a lot of it is pointless. They are showing Vettel is speaking on the radio as well as following from his car. Don't see why they need to show his name and driver of the weekend poll all at once....


Sorry if this is a bit too personal but are you particularly sensitive to sensory overloads in any other part of your life? I remember you had an issue once with some kind of high pitched noise in a qualifying session that nobody else could pick up? I can understand being annoyed by the graphics but finding it so annoying you feel like you have to turn it off is a little extreme.

It's possible that you a particularly sensitive to multiple stimuli?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:23 am
Posts: 3079
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Honestly I'd like to see both Crofty and Brundle replaced for different reasons. Croft for his incompetence and lack of focus and Brundle for the fact that his views fail to evolve with current events. The broadcast is in need of fresh blood.

Brundle seems to have got old and lost his vibrancy, something I guess that can happen when you've been doing the same thing for many years.

I think brundle just needs DC again. They got on so well in 2011.


Maybe DC ought to offer him a job co-presenting the C4F1 show?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am
Posts: 2196
mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I've never really had an issue with the graphics tbh. In the photo you linked what are they hiding that you would need to see?

I guess i should have suggested that it is when this much information is visible at other times that it is a problem. Like when Vettel was right ahead of Hamilton at the end of the japanese Grand prix. They were showing this much then while they were showing them both close together.

Even worse, it was showing a big box for "vote for your driver of the day" and vettel's team radio. And Vettel's name, number and team. And all the drivers positions. And they were showing it from the rear of Vettel's car and it did block some of it.


I guess many are ok with this but i think it an absolute mess and a lot of it is pointless. They are showing Vettel is speaking on the radio as well as following from his car. Don't see why they need to show his name and driver of the weekend poll all at once....


Sorry if this is a bit too personal but are you particularly sensitive to sensory overloads in any other part of your life? I remember you had an issue once with some kind of high pitched noise in a qualifying session that nobody else could pick up? I can understand being annoyed by the graphics but finding it so annoying you feel like you have to turn it off is a little extreme.

It's possible that you a particularly sensitive to multiple stimuli?


This is totally the case yea.

Although i was amazed that people couldn't hear that noise throughout the whole British grand prix and Qualifying. Literally started when the audio feed was coming from the commentary box in the race right until it finished. It also interstingly sounded fine whenever they cut the microphones to hear from elsewhere for example. Clearly a fault with their setup that weekend. It simply sounded like interference. As I work with lighting and know a lot about sound too, i guess i notice things far more than others. But I personally think anyone with a high end audio system would have had no trouble picking that out. I have it still as i record every race and this was recorded from a separate device to what i watched it on. It was even the same when i briefly tried it out on yet another TV at the time. I hear high pitched sounds that usually only far younger people can here. This could well be related to this.

People apparently sometimes "turn off" the coverage because of crofty. I did just about tolerate it in the japanese grand prix but it did get me very frustrated at one point. From the comments on Racefans, it does seem that many also think that many of the graphics are overkill at the moment. And they do often indicate rather predictable things - or ruin the excitement in other areas. Maybe this forum has more members that prefer it. But given the amount of people there that appeared to really dislike the level of graphics F1 now has, i didn't think i was in the minority and thought i may as well mention it here.

It isn't just them being there, it is that half of it is so unreliable and often has "technical faults" or similar which i don't think is really acceptable. If there are this many glitches, they shouldn't show as much. Or at least develop it more.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 33518
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I've never really had an issue with the graphics tbh. In the photo you linked what are they hiding that you would need to see?

I guess i should have suggested that it is when this much information is visible at other times that it is a problem. Like when Vettel was right ahead of Hamilton at the end of the japanese Grand prix. They were showing this much then while they were showing them both close together.

Even worse, it was showing a big box for "vote for your driver of the day" and vettel's team radio. And Vettel's name, number and team. And all the drivers positions. And they were showing it from the rear of Vettel's car and it did block some of it.


I guess many are ok with this but i think it an absolute mess and a lot of it is pointless. They are showing Vettel is speaking on the radio as well as following from his car. Don't see why they need to show his name and driver of the weekend poll all at once....


Sorry if this is a bit too personal but are you particularly sensitive to sensory overloads in any other part of your life? I remember you had an issue once with some kind of high pitched noise in a qualifying session that nobody else could pick up? I can understand being annoyed by the graphics but finding it so annoying you feel like you have to turn it off is a little extreme.

It's possible that you a particularly sensitive to multiple stimuli?


This is totally the case yea.

Although i was amazed that people couldn't hear that noise throughout the whole British grand prix and Qualifying. Literally started when the audio feed was coming from the commentary box in the race right until it finished. It also interstingly sounded fine whenever they cut the microphones to hear from elsewhere for example. Clearly a fault with their setup that weekend. It simply sounded like interference. As I work with lighting and know a lot about sound too, i guess i notice things far more than others. But I personally think anyone with a high end audio system would have had no trouble picking that out. I have it still as i record every race and this was recorded from a separate device to what i watched it on. It was even the same when i briefly tried it out on yet another TV at the time. I hear high pitched sounds that usually only far younger people can here. This could well be related to this.

People apparently sometimes "turn off" the coverage because of crofty. I did just about tolerate it in the japanese grand prix but it did get me very frustrated at one point. From the comments on Racefans, it does seem that many also think that many of the graphics are overkill at the moment. And they do often indicate rather predictable things - or ruin the excitement in other areas. Maybe this forum has more members that prefer it. But given the amount of people there that appeared to really dislike the level of graphics F1 now has, i didn't think i was in the minority and thought i may as well mention it here.

It isn't just them being there, it is that half of it is so unreliable and often has "technical faults" or similar which i don't think is really acceptable. If there are this many glitches, they shouldn't show as much. Or at least develop it more.

Pray then that you never suffer with tinnitus like I do. :)

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am
Posts: 2196
pokerman wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I've never really had an issue with the graphics tbh. In the photo you linked what are they hiding that you would need to see?

I guess i should have suggested that it is when this much information is visible at other times that it is a problem. Like when Vettel was right ahead of Hamilton at the end of the japanese Grand prix. They were showing this much then while they were showing them both close together.

Even worse, it was showing a big box for "vote for your driver of the day" and vettel's team radio. And Vettel's name, number and team. And all the drivers positions. And they were showing it from the rear of Vettel's car and it did block some of it.


I guess many are ok with this but i think it an absolute mess and a lot of it is pointless. They are showing Vettel is speaking on the radio as well as following from his car. Don't see why they need to show his name and driver of the weekend poll all at once....


Sorry if this is a bit too personal but are you particularly sensitive to sensory overloads in any other part of your life? I remember you had an issue once with some kind of high pitched noise in a qualifying session that nobody else could pick up? I can understand being annoyed by the graphics but finding it so annoying you feel like you have to turn it off is a little extreme.

It's possible that you a particularly sensitive to multiple stimuli?


This is totally the case yea.

Although i was amazed that people couldn't hear that noise throughout the whole British grand prix and Qualifying. Literally started when the audio feed was coming from the commentary box in the race right until it finished. It also interstingly sounded fine whenever they cut the microphones to hear from elsewhere for example. Clearly a fault with their setup that weekend. It simply sounded like interference. As I work with lighting and know a lot about sound too, i guess i notice things far more than others. But I personally think anyone with a high end audio system would have had no trouble picking that out. I have it still as i record every race and this was recorded from a separate device to what i watched it on. It was even the same when i briefly tried it out on yet another TV at the time. I hear high pitched sounds that usually only far younger people can here. This could well be related to this.

People apparently sometimes "turn off" the coverage because of crofty. I did just about tolerate it in the japanese grand prix but it did get me very frustrated at one point. From the comments on Racefans, it does seem that many also think that many of the graphics are overkill at the moment. And they do often indicate rather predictable things - or ruin the excitement in other areas. Maybe this forum has more members that prefer it. But given the amount of people there that appeared to really dislike the level of graphics F1 now has, i didn't think i was in the minority and thought i may as well mention it here.

It isn't just them being there, it is that half of it is so unreliable and often has "technical faults" or similar which i don't think is really acceptable. If there are this many glitches, they shouldn't show as much. Or at least develop it more.

Pray then that you never suffer with tinnitus like I do. :)


Yea lucky i don't, but the sound i was hearing during the British grand prix was just this painful high pitched squeaky buzz. Although only on the channel 4 coverage. Must just be something only I notice because i am so sensitive to things like this. Much younger people would likely notice too if things like this bothered them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 33518
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
pokerman wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Sorry if this is a bit too personal but are you particularly sensitive to sensory overloads in any other part of your life? I remember you had an issue once with some kind of high pitched noise in a qualifying session that nobody else could pick up? I can understand being annoyed by the graphics but finding it so annoying you feel like you have to turn it off is a little extreme.

It's possible that you a particularly sensitive to multiple stimuli?


This is totally the case yea.

Although i was amazed that people couldn't hear that noise throughout the whole British grand prix and Qualifying. Literally started when the audio feed was coming from the commentary box in the race right until it finished. It also interstingly sounded fine whenever they cut the microphones to hear from elsewhere for example. Clearly a fault with their setup that weekend. It simply sounded like interference. As I work with lighting and know a lot about sound too, i guess i notice things far more than others. But I personally think anyone with a high end audio system would have had no trouble picking that out. I have it still as i record every race and this was recorded from a separate device to what i watched it on. It was even the same when i briefly tried it out on yet another TV at the time. I hear high pitched sounds that usually only far younger people can here. This could well be related to this.

People apparently sometimes "turn off" the coverage because of crofty. I did just about tolerate it in the japanese grand prix but it did get me very frustrated at one point. From the comments on Racefans, it does seem that many also think that many of the graphics are overkill at the moment. And they do often indicate rather predictable things - or ruin the excitement in other areas. Maybe this forum has more members that prefer it. But given the amount of people there that appeared to really dislike the level of graphics F1 now has, i didn't think i was in the minority and thought i may as well mention it here.

It isn't just them being there, it is that half of it is so unreliable and often has "technical faults" or similar which i don't think is really acceptable. If there are this many glitches, they shouldn't show as much. Or at least develop it more.

Pray then that you never suffer with tinnitus like I do. :)


Yea lucky i don't, but the sound i was hearing during the British grand prix was just this painful high pitched squeaky buzz. Although only on the channel 4 coverage. Must just be something only I notice because i am so sensitive to things like this. Much younger people would likely notice too if things like this bothered them.

I watched the Sky coverage so would have been unaware of it.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:58 pm
Posts: 176
.

Some UK facts and figures ;

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/mot ... 65336.html



.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: G926 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group