planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:26 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:34 pm
Posts: 72
I just got home from seeing Ford vs Ferrari/ Le Mans 66 on opening night (in the US/ Colorado). I thought I might give a review to my fellow Planet F1 counterparts and Motorsports aficionados. There are a whole lot of mistakes and or omissions of the story we all know and love (and we will argue them untill this thread is shut down!). Of course what did we expect McQueen's Le Mans 2.0, or Frankenheimers GP revisited. I think we all know those ships sailed long ago, and this movie is not them, but we know there will never be any movie's to match those two. But it is 2019, and it is a different world, to put it mildly, and all in all I must say this is a damn good movie. It is not a over done Hollywoood movie, with endless CGI, and over doing the story in all the modern "Hollywood crap" that comes out of that industry these days. It is just the story, good cinematography of what happened. and lights the fire of intrigue of what Motorsports is and was in mid 60's motorsports.

If we are looking for a good movie to further the sport we love to the next generation, this is probably as good as it will get in 2019.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7529
Location: Michigan, USA
Thanks for sharing your impressions! :thumbup:

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 1575
Location: UK
Useful review thanks, might well give it a watch, not sure I would have without those comments. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 am
Posts: 190
I thought it was very Hollywood/American

Decent watch but nothing spectacular


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:38 pm
Posts: 2257
Location: Miami, Florida
For starters, the title is completely wrong and should have been FERRARI SLAYER, as that was the name of the GT40 program.
It was named so because it was purposely created to teach the ever arrogant Enzo Ferrari and the entire world a lesson. I had the good fortune of meeting one of the lead mechanics of the program about 20 years ago by pure chance as one of my best friends was working at a Ford dealership in Miami and I worked across the street and picked him up to go to lunch, and while I was waiting for him to clock out, we started talking about the competition that would ensue that night at my house on Gran Turismo. I'd told him I finally unlocked/won the GT40 so now I could REALLY put a hurting on people, and this mechanic named Art poked his head above his cubicle and said Ferrari Slayer?… and we were like what?

And low and behold we never went to lunch and I was late to get back to my office. We spoke about that and more many times before he retired, so I have a great deal of inside scoop that I'm curious to see if it made it in the movie, though I doubt it. You'd need a TV show of at least 2-3 complete seasons to cover much of what he showed us.

_________________
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 1826
Location: Canada
F1 MERCENARY wrote:
For starters, the title is completely wrong and should have been FERRARI SLAYER, as that was the name of the GT40 program.
It was named so because it was purposely created to teach the ever arrogant Enzo Ferrari and the entire world a lesson. I had the good fortune of meeting one of the lead mechanics of the program about 20 years ago by pure chance as one of my best friends was working at a Ford dealership in Miami and I worked across the street and picked him up to go to lunch, and while I was waiting for him to clock out, we started talking about the competition that would ensue that night at my house on Gran Turismo. I'd told him I finally unlocked/won the GT40 so now I could REALLY put a hurting on people, and this mechanic named Art poked his head above his cubicle and said Ferrari Slayer?… and we were like what?

And low and behold we never went to lunch and I was late to get back to my office. We spoke about that and more many times before he retired, so I have a great deal of inside scoop that I'm curious to see if it made it in the movie, though I doubt it. You'd need a TV show of at least 2-3 complete seasons to cover much of what he showed us.

Awesome story!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 12
'Thought it was a decent movie as I didn't go in expecting a documentary as many seem to expect/have expected. I never heard it billed as so or even "based on a true story", which would be true...based (key word that...) on a true story, not a true story. The only time I've heard that are from those that were/are wishing it were so. It's not, and as much as I would like it to be so ("Senna" was great, no?), I think it's entertaining enough (as it needs to be for non-racing fans) to go see by those that haven't yet.

Having lived through the whole thing (I'm 65, a racing fan since 5), and being a realist, I give it a :thumbup:

Again, just don't expect an accurate documentary, enjoy it for what it is, entertainment with racing a major part of the plot. :)

_________________
"Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end...."

jimclark


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 7916
jimclark wrote:
'Thought it was a decent movie as I didn't go in expecting a documentary as many seem to expect/have expected. I never heard it billed as so or even "based on a true story", which would be true...based (key word that...) on a true story, not a true story. The only time I've heard that are from those that were/are wishing it were so. It's not, and as much as I would like it to be so ("Senna" was great, no?), I think it's entertaining enough (as it needs to be for non-racing fans) to go see by those that haven't yet.

Having lived through the whole thing (I'm 65, a racing fan since 5), and being a realist, I give it a :thumbup:

Again, just don't expect an accurate documentary, enjoy it for what it is, entertainment with racing a major part of the plot. :)


It is in the movie poster, "based on the true story of Ford vs Ferrari".

I haven't watched it yet, it is supposed to be fairly inaccurate to pure fans, but an entertaining watch overall. So I'll give it a go when I get the chance


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:26 am
Posts: 761
I haven't seen it yet, but will do soon.
I don't expect to watch a documentary, I'm pretty sure the Ferrari/Ford political brawl will be looked at with bias, pretty sure the filming of racing will be done to please the average viewer (contrary to Le Mans - no story, no dialogs, and filming of the racing being voluntarily documentary, which explain why most of us love it and why it was a commercial failure at the time), but sure too I will like it if the story about the relation between Shelby and Ken Miles (which I think is - or should be - the thread of the movie) is nicely shaped.
And endurance racing of the early/mid-sixties being what hooked me to motor racing, I know I will enjoy it, whatever reservations I will have to express, in connection with the "true story".

_________________
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 12
Harpo wrote:
And endurance racing of the early/mid-sixties being what hooked me to motor racing,

I was a racing fan from about '60 but like you, endurance racing sealed my passion. It grew more and more but having just read Carroll Shelby: The Cobra Story and ABC's live satellite coverage in '65 & '66, Le Mans was it. Monaco, '67, on Wide World (poor Lorenzo...) hooked me on F1 also.
'Loved it all (facets of auto racing; 'did some in the 70s) but it's fading cause of the hunt for "parity". I've always thought highly of those that design, build, service, develop, etc. etc. the cars as much as the driving and "they're" all (series) taking that part of out the equation for the "less informed" masses for the sake of "the show's" entertainment. 'A shame.

Siiiiggghhhh.... :(

_________________
"Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end...."

jimclark


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:25 pm
Posts: 200
It's a movie at the end of the day, not a documentary and in this regard, it does the job - it's entertaining and the racing scenes are excellent. I really enjoyed it - I went in to watch a movie not to criticise the inevitable changes to make it entertaining for the masses.

_________________
Forza Ferrari


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 6771
Location: Nebraska, USA
Scouse... Long time no see. Hope things are going well for you.
:)

_________________
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:25 pm
Posts: 200
Blake wrote:
Scouse... Long time no see. Hope things are going well for you.
:)


Hello old friend - I do post very occasionally but I still watch F1 religiously and try to catch as much other motorsport as and when I can - things are going very well thank you for asking and I hope this finds you well also.

_________________
Forza Ferrari


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 7916
scouseknight wrote:
Blake wrote:
Scouse... Long time no see. Hope things are going well for you.
:)


Hello old friend - I do post very occasionally but I still watch F1 religiously and try to catch as much other motorsport as and when I can - things are going very well thank you for asking and I hope this finds you well also.

Well welcome back anyway!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 7859
Location: Belgium
I was surprised when the news reached me about this film. I had never heard of it before the trailer was released. Because of the opinion here, I think I'm going to enjoy myself watching it. As a child, I loved the look of the Le Mans sportscars more than the F1 designs (bar, perhaps, the Sharknose). And these two are about as good looking as they come.

I doubt I'm going to enjoy Midway as much, the other film I have to go and watch.

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 7916
Fiki wrote:
I was surprised when the news reached me about this film. I had never heard of it before the trailer was released. Because of the opinion here, I think I'm going to enjoy myself watching it. As a child, I loved the look of the Le Mans sportscars more than the F1 designs (bar, perhaps, the Sharknose). And these two are about as good looking as they come.

I doubt I'm going to enjoy Midway as much, the other film I have to go and watch.

Why do you have to go?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:25 pm
Posts: 200
Siao7 wrote:
Well welcome back anyway!


Appreciated sir!

_________________
Forza Ferrari


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:25 pm
Posts: 200
Fiki wrote:
I doubt I'm going to enjoy Midway as much, the other film I have to go and watch.


I bought one of those cinema passes so been getting my money's worth lately - I went five times in five weeks recently - one of the movies was Midway as it happens - it was entertaining enough for me - but then again I have no flying experience - unlike you (if my memory serves me well).

_________________
Forza Ferrari


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group