planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: FEEDBACK THREAD
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:16 pm 

We locked it because it wasn't clear which part of the post was quote and which part was McLarenBullet's opinions. Then there's the lack of a source, and the thread descended into bickering and bashing within a page.

The OP was never edited, it only says it was because McLarenBullet changed the title.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:59 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
We locked it because it wasn't clear which part of the post was quote and which part was McLarenBullet's opinions. Then there's the lack of a source, and the thread descended into bickering and bashing within a page.

The OP was never edited, it only says it was because McLarenBullet changed the title.

The entire OP is Paddy Lowe's quote. McLarenBullet hasn't posted an opinion in the first post. The source for the quote is listed on the first page by someone else. http://mccabism.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/ ... ility.html

I don't know what the original title was but presumably, that was the source of the initial bickering and bashing. With the new title, there is nothing wrong. Just Paddy Lowe praising Hamilton's driving style.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:01 pm 

The original title was something like 'Lowe calls Jenson a b***h'. We could have lived with the alteration, but the fact the thread contains almost nothing but bickering and bashing was the final straw for us.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:51 pm 

Don't wanna appear a brown nose or anything but i've gotta say you guys have been doing a great job moderating the forum, especially at the end of last season and during the off-season. I've also been impressed by your patience and willingness to give threads a chance, so just wanna thank you for that really

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:28 am 

Nice to have some praise, thanks very much.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:32 pm 

seems like very much a thankless job, thought i'd show some appreciation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:44 pm 

I know everyone has pretty much covered everything but yeah... Just like to say ive been on a few forums before but they were so goddamn slow i had to giveup. You see I use it on my phone most of the time And this forum works like a charm. So a big big biiiiiiiiiig thank you to all u guys for doing a fantastic job and keep up the good work. Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:15 pm 

That's new, we're normally getting complaints about how unfriendly the platform is for phones! Nice to know it works for someone at least.

FormulaFun - it may be thankless, but at least for me I take payment in the form of arguing with the banned trolls about why they were banned. It's amazingly therapeutic :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:08 pm 

I use it on my phone quite a bit and it works fine. Only threads that are slow are the ones with lots of pictures in them which is to be expected.

Oh and Bernie, National flags should be raised not flipped. Sort it!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:16 pm 

Another one here to use it on my phone the most and it's perfectly fine. Just a couple of times it has changed to a strange size table layout that's all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:45 pm 

OK, I'm curious now. What kind of phone do you have? I'll compare notes with those who complained of issues and see where that gets us. We might be able to then isolate the problems and patch them up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:48 pm 

I phone 4 s

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:57 pm 

It works fine on both my old HTC wildfire and my newer HTC one V

I doubt it's a phone issue, more probably the choice of browser.

Chrome works fine as does Opera Mobile, however Opera Mini is by far the quickest browser I have found on mobiles and tablets using android.

The mini version of opera does not support videos and flash but they are not needed for this forum so using that browser is so much faster than others.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:24 pm 

Also a good point, didn't consider browsers. I don't use mobile internet so it's a foreign world to me!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:40 pm 

ok. Im parked up in the middle of the countryside having just dropped one of my boys off at cubs. My mobile reception flicks from 2-3 bars out of 5. I'm browsing the forum perfectly well and at speed. No issues at all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:41 pm 

Good to know, thanks Asphalt.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:42 pm 

Oh, and I will bet that unless someone's phone is a very early smartphone, it will be the browser that's the issue. I have colleagues at work with blackberries and will ask to try one of those tomorrow to see how it is.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:38 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
Oh, and I will bet that unless someone's phone is a very early smartphone, it will be the browser that's the issue. I have colleagues at work with blackberries and will ask to try one of those tomorrow to see how it is.

I have a BlackBerry Bold 9900 and the forum works fine. I generally only use my phone for email alerts to threads I am subscribed to but occationally browse it using my phone and have not encountered any issues.

2014 Championship : 16th after Spa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:58 pm 

fatboy72 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

I have a BlackBerry Bold 9900 and the forum works fine. I generally only use my phone for email alerts to threads I am subscribed to but occationally browse it using my phone and have not encountered any issues.

What browser do you use? Is there much choice on blackberries? Sorry, I'm quite ignorant about those phones.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:17 pm 

I use the opera mini browser. Dont get to see vdos but the forum loads up brilliantly.
Edit: Mines a Samsung C3222 Duos.
HELPFUL TIP: Dont ever buy this phone.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:41 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
fatboy72 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

What browser do you use? Is there much choice on blackberries? Sorry, I'm quite ignorant about those phones.

It loads up on my BB Bold 9900 just like it would on my iPad. Works fine, one of the few websites that does these days. But my phone is dying a quick death so it's not representative of every 9900 I wouldn't think.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:42 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
fatboy72 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Just the standard BlackBerry Browser run by BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) although when I'm at home it bounces straight of my Wi-Fi and I also pick up Hotspots when I'm out and about. To be honest I have no idea about choices on a BlackBerry, all I know is I use it and have no problems with it :D

2014 Championship : 16th after Spa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:59 pm 

Speaking of browsing the forum on the phone, has any progress been made on deciding to install the Tapatalk bits?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:14 pm 

I'm afraid not, no.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:12 am 

Posted in the 'Lewis has a new manager' thread:

Mod Purple wrote:
AHEM.
P-F1 Mod wrote:
Get back to the topic of Lewis' management or the thread gets locked.

That does not include Hamilton's dog. There has been too many threads dragged off topic by inane conversations lately and we will start imposing harsher sanctions is this does not stop.

Can't you just deal with the people involved instead of locking the thread? I was in the process of composing a post as part of my debate with Haribo that was on-topic about Hamilton getting a new manager/needing management and I don't know why a legitimate debate should be stopped because a few posters didn't listen to instructions.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:19 am 

kai_ wrote:

Mod Purple wrote:
AHEM.
P-F1 Mod wrote:

That does not include Hamilton's dog. There has been too many threads dragged off topic by inane conversations lately and we will start imposing harsher sanctions is this does not stop.

Can't you just deal with the people involved instead of locking the thread? I was in the process of composing a post as part of my debate with Haribo that was on-topic about Hamilton getting a new manager/needing management and I don't know why a legitimate debate should be stopped because a few posters didn't listen to instructions.

Hopefully it'll learn the offenders not to do it again though. If a child has their favourite toy taken away enough times they will learn to behave eventually in most cases...

Anyway good job Mod Team. Keep up the good work. The off season is always a bit weird on here!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:22 am 
Hi kai_,

I do sympathize with your position, and I did think twice about locking the thread for that reason. However, a clear warning was given by P-F1 Mod which was swiftly ignored, and I felt not to respond would rather weaken our position. There didn't seem to be much on-topic discussion being generated at the time of locking either.

I am sorry you lost your chance to contribute though, we don't get it perfect every time. It may be possible to start a fresh thread with your thoughts on the topic, although I'd rather wait to see if P-F1 Mod is OK with that if that's alright with you.

Regards,
Mod Purple

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:33 am 

Laura23 wrote:
kai_ wrote:

Mod Purple wrote:
AHEM.
P-F1 Mod wrote:

Hopefully it'll learn the offenders not to do it again though. If a child has their favourite toy taken away enough times they will learn to behave eventually in most cases...

Anyway good job Mod Team. Keep up the good work. The off season is always a bit weird on here!

You've missed my point.

To use your analogy the toys have been taken off everyone despite the fact that it was only a couple of people who were miss-using them and others were playing with them properly. What I was asking was if the right to play with the toys could be removed only from the people who did the wrong thing.

And with all due respect, my question was to the mods and it's their perspective that I am interested in.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:43 am 

Mod Purple wrote:
Hi kai_,

I do sympathize with your position, and I did think twice about locking the thread for that reason. However, a clear warning was given by P-F1 Mod which was swiftly ignored, and I felt not to respond would rather weaken our position. There didn't seem to be much on-topic discussion being generated at the time of locking either.

I am sorry you lost your chance to contribute though, we don't get it perfect every time. It may be possible to start a fresh thread with your thoughts on the topic, although I'd rather wait to see if P-F1 Mod is OK with that if that's alright with you.

Regards,
Mod Purple

I do understand where you are coming from and appreciate that there was a need to react to the behaviour.

Is it possible that you guys could have a twofold approach to this sort of situation in the future? If a thread is running completely off the boil and has been for some time and nobody is getting it back on point then I understand it being locked because it serves no purpose. But if it is a couple of people then they just be dealt with directly.

I've found that it has happened a few times that I have been engaged in a debate with someone and then the thread has been locked for other reasons. I'm not on the forum constantly and with timezone differences and that sort of thing sometimes debates take a bit of time to play out. And then by the time I come back say 12-24 hours later the thread has been locked.

I don't blame the moderators for having to lock the thread to stop the behaviour; my frustration sits squarely with the people who lack the consideration and get the threads locked. But I'm hoping there's a solution that results in the best of both worlds.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:39 am 

If there’s a get together for people interested in boats, you don’t send everybody home just because a couple of them are discussing cats instead of boats.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:35 am 
If something similar to that thread happens again kai_, there will be sanctions for those involved. The problem in this case is that we don't want to be too draconian either and have people complain that they'd been treated too harshly for something that we haven't handed out many individual warnings for before.

And I understand where you are coming from Covalent, but the issue is that P-F1 Mod had already requested that the topic get back on track or be locked. We try to be as flexible as possible but if we don't put our foot down sometimes then we risk our warnings not being taken seriously and having to remove more posts and handing out more sanctions.

Regards,
Mod Purple

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:27 am 

My point - and Kai's as well - was that send home only the ones discussing the cats and let the others continue :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:45 pm 

We tried that also, but more people discovered cats. [Covalent I'm using that analogy in the future, I like it!]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:50 pm 

In fact, having just refreshed my memory of the thread, the entire last page is about dogs, not management. Thus the lock was our only real choice.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:06 pm 

Kai this is a feedback thread so anyone can participate.

As for the Mods decision I back it because the thread was completely off topic anyway, it wasn't even about F1 anymore. We don't need such threads clogging up the front page. That's just the way a forum, works and if you aren't here all that often then that isn't the Mods fault.

My feedback to the Mods would be to keep up the strictness when it comes to derailed threads, especially as the season nears. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:54 pm 

My apologies for bring the dog in the mix. In my defense, that discussion turned into an argument. Just wanted people to chill and have a little laugh. Thats all. However no repeats again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:12 pm 

Understood. The warning was there, however.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:35 am 

Mods.

I.don't see why the top gear threads were moved off topic. Granted top gear is a.motoring show. But.I feel as.I.am sure the people who contributed to the threads. When a formula 1 driver appears on top gear. Or a formula 1 feature. (the senna one) there should then be just cause to start a top gear thread with driver x.

Similarly. You never locked the tooned cartoon thread. There is just 1 example.

And again locking the visiting a gp thread. Although on principal. Seems a good idea. In reality isn't. Why if I was going to a gp. Want to trawl through 7 pages to see if its any relevent information before I post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:36 pm 

The GP attendance threads can take up a lot of space in the forum if we let them. Besides, the sticky thread was an idea from members, not mods.

The Top Gear threads end up going wildly Off-Topic every time. I left it where it was until it drifted, then transferred it where it belonged. We could have outright locked it - there is a Top Gear thread in Off-Topic somewhere already.

The cartoon thread has a constant F1 relevance in that it is based on the sport.

Incidentally there is also a sticky thread for TV appearances by F1 stars and shows about the sport. So when you think about it there are already a choice of places to discuss an F1 driver on Top Gear without starting a new thread.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:32 pm 

Sorry i missed that one... What was up with Paulj1?