planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: FEEDBACK THREAD
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:35 pm 
Race2win wrote:
Sorry i missed that one... What was up with Paulj1?

Calling the Mods "idiots" and a "moron" is against the forum rules. That is abusing a Mod and we won't tolerate it. His thread was trolling anyway, he clearly just wanted a reaction from the forum as a whole and that is against the rules as well. He earned his holiday.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:44 pm 

The same viewpoint as wire2004, only without the sense to ask us in a mature manner why we did what we did.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:56 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
The same viewpoint as wire2004, only without the sense to ask us in a mature manner why we did what we did.

Calling someone a fanboy etc in real life is understandable, but Paulj1 type posts make you wonder if those people talk like that in real life, and are we not better off without such senseless posters.
Finding a bright side at least, I'm off to the foe control panel after this. I feel sorry for you Mods who can't do that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:02 pm 

We've already banned him, don't worry. If we've missed any of his posts report them and we shall remove them.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:07 pm 

The top gear thread was locked and moved to off topic from the f1 and MOTORSPORT thread!!!!

Last time I checked, f1 drivers posting competitive lap times in a compatition format in a motor car would qualify as a Motorsport

Can the head mod please explain this to the minority of mods that are unaware of the fourm titles

Mark Webber
VODAFONE McLAREN MERCADES

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:18 pm 
Top Gear is a

"Motoring magazine, including road tests, news and features."

It says nothing about Motorsport.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:19 pm 

Top Gear is not motor sport.

I'd also appreciate you not assuming we don't know what we're doing - as head mod it was actually me who moved that thread after it slid away from F1 and into entertainment.

Edit - and what Blue said.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:23 pm 
Backing up my boss as well as adding that if you do want to talk about Lewis' TG lap in the main forum then use his own thread. That is what it is there for after all, for all things Hamilton related. Given that thread exists the complaints seem, to me, to be a little pointless.

TG always been seen as an off topic subject on this forum, it isn't anything new and we did the same thing when Vettel was on, as well as Raikkonen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:24 pm 

I didn't say top gear is a motor sport, lap times are.

Perhaps you are the wrong person for the job if that's the way you see it, when f1 drivers compleat in karting events, that's allowed to be posted, what's the difference?

The main page, ran by paid professionals feels that it's relevant, I don't understand why you think it's not?

If you decide to ban me for the Above, I thank you in advance

Mark Webber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:26 pm 

But you can't discuss the other lap times as that would be off topic.

Can we not have an official f1 drivers top gear lap times thread?

Mark Webber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:29 pm 
Karting is a form of Motorsport. Top Gear is not.

Top Gear has never been seen as on topic in this forum. We don't have anything to do with the main site or what they post and they have nothing to do with here either. One simply links to the other. I believe the main site doesn't have separate news areas either like we have separate forums. On the main page one place has to fit all, that isn't the case here.

We won't be banning you, that would be rewarding you. If you don't like the forum then don't visit here, it really is as simple as that I'm afraid because Top Gear is staying off topic.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:29 pm 

ianjds wrote:
I didn't say top gear is a motor sport, lap times are.

Perhaps you are the wrong person for the job if that's the way you see it, when f1 drivers compleat in karting events, that's allowed to be posted, what's the difference?

The main page, ran by paid professionals feels that it's relevant, I don't understand why you think it's not?

If you decide to ban me for the Above, I thank you in advance

We won't ban you for asking a question, despite the tone of your initial post.

The main site and us have disagreed on policy in the past, but ultimately the two parts of the site represent different purposes. The main purposes of a news outlet are to inform and earn hits. The more hits, the more money comes in. The forum is designed to bring a community together to engage in deeper debates. Naturally the boundaries on these two platforms will vary, and what is relevant in one place has a more appropriate home elsewhere in the other.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:30 pm 

Mod_Blue wrote:
Top Gear is a

"Motoring magazine, including road tests, news and features."

It says nothing about Motorsport.

In the nicest possible way, have you ever watched top gear. Omg

Mark Webber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:32 pm 
I watch it every week and I fail to see how Top Gear is related to Motorsport other than the odd silly challenge which isn't a sanctioned event in the first place. It is a Motorcar show. Not a Motorsport show. We won't be moved on this occasion, I'm sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:37 pm 

Well I appreciate the fact that you ended your sentence with sorry. But I still don't understand your logic. However I respect your decision and will say no more on the subject.

Thanks for listening to my views

Mark Webber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:44 pm 
ianjds wrote:
Well I appreciate the fact that you ended your sentence with sorry. But I still don't understand your logic. However I respect your decision and will say no more on the subject.

Thanks for listening to my views

Thank you.

All we want is for you to understand this isn't something we just happened to do overnight, we have always done this. It wouldn't make sense for us to suddenly change our policy now.

Mod Blue.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:33 pm 

Why does not Hamilton and some other driver fans use their driver threads instead of posting new threads all the time?
Now the Top Gear thingy seems to be perfect discussion in their respective drivers own threads. There are a million other examples of pointless threads.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they are open

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:42 pm 

Many discussions will draw in non-fans of the relevant drivers, and it's rare someone will look at the official thread of a driver they don't support.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:37 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
Many discussions will draw in non-fans of the relevant drivers, and it's rare someone will look at the official thread of a driver they don't support.

That's a good argument for not having any official threads. The Autosport forum recently deleted or locked all such threads.
Top Gear was hardly mentioned in the official Hamilton thread (or only a small group discussed it), and not mentioned at all in the TV thread.

I'm not advocating or asking for a new-thread free-for-all, as I think that there would be far too much of "there's already a thread for this" type commenting clogging the place up. But I do sometimes wonder why not just let the threads ramble on until they die out? Instead of locking them when they go off topic. Sometimes topics get locked simply because it's changed from the original post, but then you have others like the HOW thread, or the "Create the Helmet Competition" which has as little to do with actual motorsport as does Hamilton's Top Gear appearance. If people want to talk about why not let them do so?
If it's a case of capacity (deleting and restarting the official threads when they reach 100+ pages for example) why not just create a new rule why deletes or archives all threads which haven't had a new post in 'x' amount of time?

This isn't a complaint, and I can't think of a time when your decisions have affected me. This is just an observation of what I see as an often arbitrary action, when there is an obvious desire from others who wish to continue an evolving conversation. Or in forum parlance: just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:09 pm 

Is talking about Hamilton's dog or TG laptime really off topic? I agree with b.b.o.becky.j (? seriously whats with that username, how do I even pronounce it?) that letting conversations evolve and die out is better and easier to work with... as you dont have to lock them.

If I started a topic asking:
"Is Lewis Hamilton the best driver?"

And the first post was:

"Yes"

Everything afterwards would just be irrelevant and off topic. However if the thread went:

"Yes he is the best but his choice in dogs is poor"

"NAh I like his dog."

"What do you feed a dog like that?"

"God they poop everywhere!"

"I know right! Dog **** ruined my childhood." (true story)

Its a much more interactive experience plus probably gets you more posters returning/more hits/if you care about stuff like that. I mean atleast that's how my conversations in real life go, it could be just me, I also don't talk about dogs.

PS - lol at kai's "with all due respect"/"kiss my butt" comment

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:30 pm 

bbobeckyj wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:

That's a good argument for not having any official threads. The Autosport forum recently deleted or locked all such threads.
Top Gear was hardly mentioned in the official Hamilton thread (or only a small group discussed it), and not mentioned at all in the TV thread.

I'm not advocating or asking for a new-thread free-for-all, as I think that there would be far too much of "there's already a thread for this" type commenting clogging the place up. But I do sometimes wonder why not just let the threads ramble on until they die out? Instead of locking them when they go off topic. Sometimes topics get locked simply because it's changed from the original post, but then you have others like the HOW thread, or the "Create the Helmet Competition" which has as little to do with actual motorsport as does Hamilton's Top Gear appearance. If people want to talk about why not let them do so?
If it's a case of capacity (deleting and restarting the official threads when they reach 100+ pages for example) why not just create a new rule why deletes or archives all threads which haven't had a new post in 'x' amount of time?

This isn't a complaint, and I can't think of a time when your decisions have affected me. This is just an observation of what I see as an often arbitrary action, when there is an obvious desire from others who wish to continue an evolving conversation. Or in forum parlance: just my 2 cents.

There's a lot of valid points in there.

The HOW thread is the ultimate anomaly - it existed under the previous mods and became so popular we'd have been hanged had we not allowed it to continue. Create the Helmet is a motorsport-based contest, even if it's all fantasy.

We do often let threads die out, but a pattern emerges with certain kinds of threads where they go from the topic at hand to bickering. That's normally what we lock. The discussion of Hamilton's manager was just going everywhere and was no longer productive, so we ended that one. If we locked every thread that drifted we'd have no topics left, I agree.

Madman, Your first example would end up in an argument and we both know it. It certainly wouldn't be over with the first reply. Threads with definite answers like that tend to die off anyway once the answer is found and understanding is achieved, so no need for us to interfere. Threads that are forced to carry on when the topic has been forgotten are what we lock.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:54 pm 

f1madman wrote:
Is talking about Hamilton's dog or TG laptime really off topic? I agree with b.b.o.becky.j (? seriously whats with that username, how do I even pronounce it?) ...

It's my name. B Bobeckyj. The 'c' is pronounced maybe like a 'tz' or 'ts', the 'j' is silent. Ukranian grandfather.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:20 am 

Umm, I was going to say "guys, leave the mods alone, they are doing a great job" but then found out that the "Poll: Social F1 Experiment" thread has been locked even though there were no arguments going on & it is F1 related. Considering how many threads degrade into arguments/my driver is better than your driver etc, are we not allowed to have a bit of fun?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:37 am 
DrG wrote:
Umm, I was going to say "guys, leave the mods alone, they are doing a great job" but then found out that the "Poll: Social F1 Experiment" thread has been locked even though there were no arguments going on & it is F1 related. Considering how many threads degrade into arguments/my driver is better than your driver etc, are we not allowed to have a bit of fun?

You are, yes. But the thread had been reported in quite harsh terms, and in our experience that means that it is only a matter of time that a thread goes downhill spectacularly if we do not take any action. I saw the funny side to it, but in these cases it is better to be safe (and lock the thread) than sorry (and end up handing out a few warnings and bans).

Following on the above, I would ask you all to understand that often you do not see the full picture of what is going on in a thread or discussion. Please take this into account when judging our decisions :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:45 am 

bbobeckyj wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:

Yes you have a point but to be honest but I also see that thiese things are most interesting for the fans of respective drivers. Last time there were a hundred new threads when Lewis would go to Merc. Threads were often called "Hamilton this" "Hamilton that" "Hamilton to suffer" and so forth. They block the first page from more interesting discussions of other things F1.

I read some of the fan threads but mostly post in the Kimi thread because I am a Kimi fan and soon to be Bottas fan I hope :-P

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they are open

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:00 pm 

SwSpeed wrote:
bbobeckyj wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:

Yes you have a point but to be honest but I also see that thiese things are most interesting for the fans of respective drivers. Last time there were a hundred new threads when Lewis would go to Merc. Threads were often called "Hamilton this" "Hamilton that" "Hamilton to suffer" and so forth. They block the first page from more interesting discussions of other things F1.

I read some of the fan threads but mostly post in the Kimi thread because I am a Kimi fan and soon to be Bottas fan I hope :-P

See I have noticed that with Kimi fans, every bit of Kimi news, TV appearances etc goes into the Kimi thread. That's why it has so many pages. Because it's utilised properly. That' what the driver threads are there for.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:39 pm 

Mod_Yellow wrote:
DrG wrote:

You are, yes. But the thread had been reported in quite harsh terms, and in our experience that means that it is only a matter of time that a thread goes downhill spectacularly if we do not take any action. I saw the funny side to it, but in these cases it is better to be safe (and lock the thread) than sorry (and end up handing out a few warnings and bans).

Following on the above, I would ask you all to understand that often you do not see the full picture of what is going on in a thread or discussion. Please take this into account when judging our decisions :)

OK, I do understand but, someone reported it in quite harsh terms, a fun thread, really, they must have been born without the sense of humour gene, only saying 8O :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:06 pm 

A thread that also had no apparent purpose - certainly not known by more than one person.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:41 pm 

bbobeckyj wrote:
f1madman wrote:
Is talking about Hamilton's dog or TG laptime really off topic? I agree with b.b.o.becky.j (? seriously whats with that username, how do I even pronounce it?) ...

It's my name. B Bobeckyj. The 'c' is pronounced maybe like a 'tz' or 'ts', the 'j' is silent. Ukranian grandfather.

Ah cool like how Kubica is pronounced "Cube-itza!?

BTW mod-yellow, your avatar is gone all glitchy with black lines.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:52 pm 

Just a curious question, MODs. How do you manage the Polish Thread? How do you know they are going off topic or arguing or whatever?
To me it Just looks like a bunch of random letters put together to make an impossible to pronounce word.
No offence my Polish mates.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:56 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
A thread that also had no apparent purpose - certainly not known by more than one person.

A thread with no apparent purpose? I think it was obvious that it was to show that some posters do not actually read what the poll is for but vote for a driver anyway whether it is for hate for a driver that is in the poll or just a fan of one of them

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:12 pm 

That's another possible meaning that can be attributed.

RE the Polish thread we do have a Polish Mod on our team - Mod Green - but that's generally the most well-behaved thread on the forum. I think they've had one intervention since this forum was set up.

Similarly we have Mod White on board primarily to moderate the Finnish thread, and Mod Yellow is our resident Spanish speaker [although I don't think that thread's been active for a while].

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:51 pm 

Mods, thought this might be of use even if only to lighten the mood.

http://www.funnieststuff.net/viewmovie.php?id=722

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:37 pm 

To the Mods

We're asked not to create threads if there is one that fits the purpose but you lock it because it was over a year old?

The relevance to us posters was

That last year testing times did not prove to show the actual order come season start

Seems like we can't win with you some days!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:29 pm 
Firstly that thread was reported by some of your fellow forumers, so don't look at just us. Mostly we just deal with what we are asked to look at.

Secondly, the rule states
Quote:
4 As a courtesy to others multiple threads on the same topic should not be created. If another thread exists on the first 2 pages of the forum you should use it. Duplicate threads will be deleted and users who consistently indulge in such behaviour may be banned.

So no, we have not implied that old threads should be bumped.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:32 pm 

Mod Purple wrote:
Firstly that thread was reported by some of your fellow forumers, so don't look at just us. Mostly we just deal with what we are asked to look at.

Nothing to do with that particular thread but in general, just because someone has a problem with a thread or a post doesn't mean you need to respond.

Just a suggestion (since this is the feedback thread) but maybe you guys could just take it easy for some time and see how things go. Unless there's a very obvious case for mod intervention (racism, spamming, trolling etc.), I think you could let things run their own course. Sure, it means a few duplicate threads and some general silliness here and there but this approach does work. I think the old forum also had relatively laid back modding policy and things still seemed okay.

It also means less work for you :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:52 pm 

We'll continue merging duplicate threads when worthwhile, but we won't let two run parallel. Inevitably both go the same way, and it's a waste of space on the server. We do try and not intervene until we have to, although I realise it doesn't look like it recently.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:14 pm 

Mods, is it possible to change the format of the topic reply notification email?
Can the link to the topic be placed at the top of the email?

f1madman wrote:
bbobeckyj wrote:
f1madman wrote:
... b.b.o.becky.j (? seriously whats with that username, how do I even pronounce it?) ...
Ah cool like how Kubica is pronounced "Cube-itza!?

Yes, the countries are adjacent so I would guess that many things are pronounced similiarly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:30 pm 

Notification emails are generated by phpBB software, not our own. I'm afraid we can't do much about that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:41 pm 

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
Mods, thought this might be of use even if only to lighten the mood.

http://www.funnieststuff.net/viewmovie.php?id=722

I AGREE, LOL. ;)