It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:26 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: FEEDBACK THREAD
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:06 am 

Guia wrote:
NeonBullet wrote:
Overall I like the changes. As for the signatures, I think having images is nice, but maybe keeping them to a max of 250 pixels tall would keep from having them be a distraction.

Also, would it be possible to have avatars under our names, just something like 100 x 100 pixels?

How about avatars under our names INSTEAD OF images in signatures?

I mean, just how much iconography does one person need?

I like the way signatures and avatars are done in this forum, it lets people have both while keeping them at a pretty fair size (click)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:29 am 

virtuallynobody wrote:
As many others have suggested, please ditch the signature pics and go to (limited) avatars instead. Aside from the distraction and interruption of the thread flow, the bandwidth issue is major. Please consult with your IT people. Some of the signatures are already up to 1 meg in size! Also you should configure "quote" and "reply with quote" so they omit pictures (if that's possible, otherwise it should be frowned upon or against the rules).
The only internet service available to me is UBB (usage based billing). So I have to pay by the amount of data I use. If most people don't have that yet, believe me, it is the way of the future. If you are on a mobile, you probably pay for data.
I can't afford to pay 1 cent every time I see someones 1 meg sig (doesn't sound like much but adds up real quick). If it stays this way, the size of sigs will probably just keep going up. I will be forced to leave as I can't afford it. Likewise, pics that are appearing 10 times on a page because of quoting get expensive and in the long run I'm sure they slow things down.
Thank you for your consideration.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:40 am 

Guia wrote:
virtuallynobody wrote:
As many others have suggested, please ditch the signature pics and go to (limited) avatars instead. Aside from the distraction and interruption of the thread flow, the bandwidth issue is major. Please consult with your IT people. Some of the signatures are already up to 1 meg in size! Also you should configure "quote" and "reply with quote" so they omit pictures (if that's possible, otherwise it should be frowned upon or against the rules).
The only internet service available to me is UBB (usage based billing). So I have to pay by the amount of data I use. If most people don't have that yet, believe me, it is the way of the future. If you are on a mobile, you probably pay for data.
I can't afford to pay 1 cent every time I see someones 1 meg sig (doesn't sound like much but adds up real quick). If it stays this way, the size of sigs will probably just keep going up. I will be forced to leave as I can't afford it. Likewise, pics that are appearing 10 times on a page because of quoting get expensive and in the long run I'm sure they slow things down.

As said elsewhere, avatars are likely being enabled and sig sizes limited.

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:55 am 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
Guia wrote:
virtuallynobody wrote:

As said elsewhere, avatars are likely being enabled and sig sizes limited.

OK then. :]

*defers*

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:16 am 

And I think animated avatars and sig pics are ridiculous and totally unnecessary.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:40 am 

Sorry, a belated well done to all concerned in the forum upgrade. Still feels a bit 'weird' but as they say, a change is as good as a rest.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:56 am 

Hi,

I'm not sure that allowing images in the signature is a great idea. It the were small, that would be OK, but as they become bigger and bigger and more and more forumers include them in their signatures, a significant part of the screen is covered with them, which makes a difficult reading of the posts.

I'd rather have avatars than signature images.

Edit: SORRY, I HADN'T SEEN PREVIOUS POSTS ABOUT THIS ISSUE :blush:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:01 am 

virtuallynobody wrote:

The bolder part is not true, once a browser has downloaded an image it does not download it again, it caches it. This means (unless you have unusual custom settings in your browser, or are revisiting in a "privacy mode" the image won't be downloaded again, at least not for a specific time period depending on the headers sent with the image file

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:27 am 

I just popped on this thread to say that I think the signatures are getting out of hand ... and then I noticed that I am not the only one who thinks that.

its a shame because I would love to have a nice, modest, signature image to use with the forums ... but:-

I mean, they are lovely images and all ... and I don't mean to "point the finger" at these two ... they are just examples. It disturbs the flow of a thread massively IMHO.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:35 am 

I assume you are aware that its possible to have a rule saying 'No signature higher than XYZ'.

That would solve the issue. Every forum does this. I suggest PF1 mods get on TheAdminZone.com and read up :)

Also, if you dont want to see signatures, you can hide them in your profile settings area. ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=view

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:45 am 

The new forum is good but I think the colours make it alot harder to read the text.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:48 am 

RickM wrote:
I assume you are aware that its possible to have a rule saying 'No signature higher than XYZ'.

That would solve the issue. Every forum does this. I suggest PF1 mods get on TheAdminZone.com and read up :)

Also, if you dont want to see signatures, you can hide them in your profile settings area. ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=view

thanks for the tip - I do like some of the signatures and want my own, but I may just disable them in the meantime until they are tethered somewhat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:48 am 

Tried to upload an avatar but it doesn't show up. It only shows the text "user avatar". Maximum 6 kB is very small. You have easily more that that. If Avatars work I would remove my picture in my sig.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:08 pm 

Another vote for no graphic sigs ,the forum will look a mess very quickly

Serious question are the PF1 managers / sales team / et al trying to attract a younger / school kid demographic ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:24 pm 

matzy wrote:
I just popped on this thread to say that I think the signatures are getting out of hand ... and then I noticed that I am not the only one who thinks that.

its a shame because I would love to have a nice, modest, signature image to use with the forums ... but:-

I mean, they are lovely images and all ... and I don't mean to "point the finger" at these two ... they are just examples. It disturbs the flow of a thread massively IMHO.

+1

and quoting could make it much more messy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:37 pm 

In case anyone isn't aware, it is possible to tweak your own settings so that it doesn't show avatars & signatures ( and smilies and other images if you want to go that far!). Personally I think they look naff.

User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit Display options

Loads of other options in there too. It would be great to have a "toned down" skin eventually, for work and suchlike.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:50 pm 

To me it seems setting a fairly small maximum size on the signatures is the best way to go. Either that or allow avatars, both seems a little unnecessary for a forum like this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:56 pm 

If it was at all possible to set up automatically, I would suggest the following:

From sign up to 99 posts - avatar allowed under current size, no signature.

From post 100 - 499 - avatar as above, text signature allowed

From post 500 - 999 - slightly larger avatar (maybe half as big again) and signature as above

From post 1000 - 1999 - avatar as above and medium size picture in signature

From post 2000 - maybe slightly larger avatar and picture in sig.

As everyone has effectively started at a post count of zero it would be a while before the forum is populated with large picture signatures in all the threads. Also with the demise of ranks it would be a type of replacement rewarding those that spend the most time on the forum. As it will be those that spend the most time that get to post pics in sigs as well they might think a bit more wisely as to what they use, as they will know how it can really clog the forums.

Of course the post numbers and the definitions of "medium" and "large" for the pictures could be tweaked to get it to the right balance. It all depends on whether the new system has the capacity to enable these options based on post count.

And yes I see the irony of this post with vvv below but I don't mind if we lose the option for a while and have to gain it back through posting. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:13 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
virtuallynobody wrote:

The bolder part is not true, once a browser has downloaded an image it does not download it again, it caches it. This means (unless you have unusual custom settings in your browser, or are revisiting in a "privacy mode" the image won't be downloaded again, at least not for a specific time period depending on the headers sent with the image file

I visit this forum using different devices in different places, the 1mb signature is totally unnecessary!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:14 pm 

Not sure who chose the avatar settings but are they taking the gherkin here? 6KiB?

If you were to upload a 10x10 pixel image with 6 colours, that comes to 28KiB. The only way to keep within 6KiB is to use a idiotically low quality GIF file with a MAXIMUM of 16 colours.

Sort it out for gods sake, we're in 2012, not 1992.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:51 pm 

RickM wrote:

Which bit of 'we are already in the process of doing this' [or words to that effect] is passing everyone by here? :lol:

I left it with the techies, because again I have access to six servers less than I need to to sort it myself.

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:25 pm 

I see some got their avatars working,pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:03 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
RickM wrote:

Which bit of 'we are already in the process of doing this' [or words to that effect] is passing everyone by here? :lol:

I left it with the techies, because again I have access to six servers less than I need to to sort it myself.

Sorry ...

I did have a read through this thread and couldn't see a comment from a mod that you will be disabling signatures or limiting them. Perhaps I missed it (more than likely! :lol: )

Its good to know its on your to-do list anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:53 pm 

The avatars work, thx for that :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:12 pm 

Thanks for the avatars!

2011 Silverstone 1st
2012 Spa 1st
2012 Interlagos 3rd
2015 China 2nd
2015 Monza 1st

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:24 pm 

RickM wrote:
Not sure who chose the avatar settings but are they taking the gherkin here? 6KiB?

If you were to upload a 10x10 pixel image with 6 colours, that comes to 28KiB. The only way to keep within 6KiB is to use a idiotically low quality GIF file with a MAXIMUM of 16 colours.

My Av is jpeg :-P

It's small though.. if it's a question of giving up on something I'd rather have them a wee bit larger and the sigs smaller. Large sigs are very annoying in a long thread.

2011 Silverstone 1st
2012 Spa 1st
2012 Interlagos 3rd
2015 China 2nd
2015 Monza 1st

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:28 pm 

Lotus38 wrote:
RickM wrote:

It's small though.. if it's a question of giving up on something I'd rather have them a wee bit larger and the sigs smaller. Large sigs are very annoying in a long thread.

But some people would like to have animated avatar with whole Lord of the Rings trilogy. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:33 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
Lotus38 wrote:
RickM wrote:

But some people would like to have animated avatar with whole Lord of the Rings trilogy. ;)

Yes, but with large sigs you get the whole Lord of the Rings Trilogy plus the whole Star Wars saga (all six episodes!)...

2011 Silverstone 1st
2012 Spa 1st
2012 Interlagos 3rd
2015 China 2nd
2015 Monza 1st

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:46 pm 

Lotus38 wrote:
RickM wrote:

But your avatar isnt the full 90x90. To give you an example, my avatar as a jpeg is 28Kib. Realistically modern forums allow avatars up to 512Kib. We're no longer in the ages of dial up...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:59 pm 

RickM wrote:
Lotus38 wrote:
RickM wrote:

But your avatar isnt the full 90x90. To give you an example, my avatar as a jpeg is 28Kib. Realistically modern forums allow avatars up to 512Kib. We're no longer in the ages of dial up...

I just moved house recently and where I live now does not even have a telephone line!!! LOL
No DSL, have to connect through mobile internet.. it's lousy!

In any case I agree, the avatars should be a bit bigger. 150x150 pixels is quite common and obviously larger than 6k!!!!

2011 Silverstone 1st
2012 Spa 1st
2012 Interlagos 3rd
2015 China 2nd
2015 Monza 1st

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:05 pm 

Nah I think 6kB and 90*90 is enough to personalise your bit of space... I mean mine is under 6kB and even less than 90*90 pixels, but its still better than everyone's avatar.

Also it stops people who don't know how to get a decent avatar in such creatively small space, actually having one which is always a bonus as it'd probably be rubbish to look at anyway :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:09 pm 

RickM wrote:
Lotus38 wrote:
RickM wrote:

Lets see: 512 x 40 = 20 MB. And why would anyone need 512KB avatar? Tell me. And people connect to this forum via mobile phones. Did you think about it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:12 pm 

f1madman wrote:
Nah I think 6kB and 90*90 is enough to personalise your bit of space... I mean mine is under 6kB and even less than 90*90 pixels, but its still better than everyone's avatar.

Also it stops people who don't know how to get a decent avatar in such creatively small space, actually having one which is always a bonus as it'd probably be rubbish to look at anyway :P

What exactly is your avatar Madman? Hmmm.. Can't quite make it out.. LOL :twisted: :twisted:

Before you have a go at mine... it is intentionally distorted to make everyone think I'm useless at avatars.. it would look the same if it were bigger!! ;)

2011 Silverstone 1st
2012 Spa 1st
2012 Interlagos 3rd
2015 China 2nd
2015 Monza 1st

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:27 pm 

Lotus38 wrote:
f1madman wrote:

What exactly is your avatar Madman? Hmmm.. Can't quite make it out.. LOL :twisted: :twisted:

Before you have a go at mine... it is intentionally distorted to make everyone think I'm useless at avatars.. it would look the same if it were bigger!! ;)

I like dizlekix's avatar. But yours is just a mirror image of your signature surely :P You like Lotuses we get it! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:28 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
RickM wrote:
Lotus38 wrote:
RickM wrote:

Lets see: 512 x 40 = 20 MB. And why would anyone need 512KB avatar? Tell me. And people connect to this forum via mobile phones. Did you think about it?

Firstly, I wasnt suggesting that we all have 512KB avatars, I was suggesting it was increased as 6kb is taking the biscuit.

Secondly, most modern/decent/reputable forums offer either a mobile skin or tapatalk. I did suggest that the admins fork out a measly $150 USD for a decent forum system which would have had a mobile skin built in but it was ignored.

Even if the limit was increased to say 30kb, that would be fine. You could get a jpeg at full quality in there then. Also, the forum doesn't show 40 posts per page so not sure where you got that from. It's either 15, 20 or 25 per page. 25x 30 = 7.5mb.

Finally. people on mobiles wouldnt have a problem any way as mobile networks forcefully reduce image quality and size to a tiny amount.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:31 pm 

Not everyone has broadband dude, infact most of the world that has internet still have crappy connections under 100kb/s

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:34 pm 

f1madman wrote:
Not everyone has broadband dude, infact most of the world that has internet still have crappy connections under 100kb/s

By that logic we should take down every single image on the PF1 website then...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:47 pm 

RickM wrote:
Firstly, I wasnt suggesting that we all have 512KB avatars, I was suggesting it was increased as 6kb is taking the biscuit.

Secondly, most modern/decent/reputable forums offer either a mobile skin or tapatalk. I did suggest that the admins fork out a measly $150 USD for a decent forum system which would have had a mobile skin built in but it was ignored.

Even if the limit was increased to say 30kb, that would be fine. You could get a jpeg at full quality in there then. Also, the forum doesn't show 40 posts per page so not sure where you got that from. It's either 15, 20 or 25 per page. 25x 30 = 7.5mb.

Finally. people on mobiles wouldnt have a problem any way as mobile networks forcefully reduce image quality and size to a tiny amount.

Slightly off-topic) Where do you find the option? Default setting for posts per page is indeed 40 and I don't know where I can change it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:54 pm 

It took me some work to get my avatar working,but got'er done nevertheless.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:00 pm 

RickM wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
RickM wrote:
Lotus38 wrote:
RickM wrote:

It is 40 otherwise this post would have already been on page #5-6. Think.

I agree that avatar size could be slightly higher as long as they are hosted by forum server, but I'm against pictures in signatures. Whole site can be 1 mb, but if your browser is making 20-30 HTTP requests it can take ages to download in extreme cases, especially if you want to get straight to certain post in old topic where some signatures are offline. Speed should be priority. Whole BBC homepage, including all javascript, css and pictures and all the rest is under 800 kb!