planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: FEEDBACK THREAD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:36 pm 

abulafia F1 wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:
Everything is set to disabled, I'm just clearing it with the boss exactly what I can switch on and then things will appear.

Signatures work - they have just been deleted. I've just recreated mine.

Yup and according to the rules your signature does not conform to forum rules as per Rule #6. LOL

6 Signatures should be kept to under 3 lines and should not contain images.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:39 pm 

the incubus wrote:
abulafia F1 wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:
Everything is set to disabled, I'm just clearing it with the boss exactly what I can switch on and then things will appear.

Yup and according to the rules your signature does not conform to forum rules as per Rule #6. LOL

Only 6 signatures :-P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:41 pm 

Darkarium wrote:
I reeeeally dislike it. It definitely needs to be fixed width because it looks awful stretched across my screen.

You must be one of the stone agers coming out of your cave. This platform allows people who don't fit apps to screen to adjust their window and keep ALL the text in the available live are. Otherwise they would have to scroll to the right and left to read the entire content of posts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:49 pm 

wire2004 wrote:
any chance we can have a sub forum for the driver support threads. on the main page. We have most of the first page taken up of driver threads.

THIS! :tup:

I E-mailed the mods suggesting they create Official Team & Drivers Threads that contain all of them in one place respectively.
All these "Official" threads create too much unnecessary clutter on the first page.

I agree we need a Quick Reply field at the bottom of the page that only appears for logged in members with a Checkbox to "Quote Message in Reply.".
PBNation has a very well developed layout that is user friendly and very easy to learn/use.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:01 pm 

the incubus wrote:
abulafia F1 wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:

...I'll just let this slide..... :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:15 pm 

With the new funky software it seems a bit odd to only have two forums. The F1 forums is obviously quite busy. Why not have a 2012 season forum for example, and forum for more general or historical F1 threads?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:55 pm 

About time this forum design got updated! Nice!

I think it still lacks (and needs) avatars... badly!

C'mon i mean 95% of the internet forums have it! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:42 pm 

Could you increase the size of the breadcrumb trail? We're not on 800x600 displays anymore and that text is damn small ;)

In fact, IMO all text needs going up a few points. It's at 1em at the moment. IMO it needs to be 11px at least. It's really, really small.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:43 pm 

jamei wrote:
With the new funky software it seems a bit odd to only have two forums. The F1 forums is obviously quite busy. Why not have a 2012 season forum for example, and forum for more general or historical F1 threads?

Already tried asking - it was ignored :p

I'd like to see a 2012 season forum, then a forum for each team (not each driver though).

In a lot of cases it would stop 'my team vs your team' threads as, for example you wouldn't find me in the Ferrari or HRT forum. :]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:03 am 

The spoiler tags aren't working, is it possible to get them working, as as well as hiding spoilers with them it is also useful for hiding nested quotes.

Also, with many people in the UK facing delayed transmissions for the races they may come useful for hiding actual spoilers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:35 am 

Alex53 wrote:
Certainly an improvement.

Avatars (even if just the ones you have to link rather than upload) and topic reply notifications would be nice.

I would like to +1 this - the reason people are putting images in their sig is to adds some personalisation / make their posts stand out, however the images do interrupt the flow of the forum as they are in the vertical scroll space for the content. By allowing us avatars it will give us this level of control over personalisation and making ourselves more identifiable without breaking the flow of the forum (and then the no images in sig rule can be enforced) The forum definitely supports avatars as the user control panel explicitly mentions it)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:06 am 

how about having support for tapatalk?

http://www.tapatalk.com/

good job btw admins! i used to use phpbb and if i remember you could adjust the width of the forum. this is very easy to use.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:47 am 

Can we have a 'work' theme option so that people like myself who browse at work can be more conspicious? The old board was perfect.

Signatures. I think give people an Avatar and leave it at that. Gifs and picture sigs are silly, especially when you write a one line reply and your sig takes up 80% of the post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:56 am 

Is there some way to avoid the page that tells you you've just posted after you click submit? It'd make more sense to just go directly to the page with your post appended to the thread, no?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:59 am 

Please merge the kimi threads.
And +1 to the post above, the redirection page after posting is annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:02 am 

I have "Notify me upon replies by default" set to "yes" in the control panel, but threads that I post in are not automatically bookmarked, and I don't get emails.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:27 pm 

i cant fathom why the mods need to approve every single post before appearing ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:48 pm 

Can you make links to external pages open in new tab?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:34 pm 

I loved the old forum and I love the new one.

But I have one question, how come we cannot resize images?

The BBCode for image resize is just a simple [img={width}x{height}]{url}[/img].

There are some great photos online that are just too big for the forum. A little bit of resizing would keep the forum nice and tidy & would allow good high quality photos.

FA#14

Last edited by mcdo on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:42 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
Can you make links to external pages open in new tab?

The mouse scroll wheel is your friend... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:35 pm 

TeamSideways wrote:

Glitch, we're working on that.

Well, I say 'glitch' - I was experimenting with settings and broke it. The techies are fixing it for me and I'm going nowhere near pretty buttons again.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:45 pm 

I was looking at the list of people who were online and saw Google [Bot] online. Are we going to have a bunch of bots joining us soon? Just thought i'd point it out. Doesn't bother me in the least..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:17 pm 

Zero wrote:
I was looking at the list of people who were online and saw Google [Bot] online. Are we going to have a bunch of bots joining us soon? Just thought i'd point it out. Doesn't bother me in the least..

Hopefully not, but there's always a chance for spammers to get to the forum, but they'll never last long.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:51 pm 

Zero wrote:

There is no robots.txt, so web crawlers like googlebot can scan this forum. The spamers aren't related to googlebot. They are 2 completely different things.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:16 pm 

Do you know what would be better (IMO)?

Instead of these pictoral userbars now appearing below people's posts where just their signatures should be and which I for one find a distraction, how about we are allowed little square avatars to the left of the our posts, just below the user info?

Mods? What do you think?

:]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm 

Great to have more modern forum software but the width is awful for big screens.

How about adding max-width: 1200px CSS to the body?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:21 pm 

Guia wrote:

Instead of these pictoral userbars now appearing below people's posts where just their signatures should be and which I for one find a distraction, how about we are allowed little square avatars to the left of the our posts, just below the user info?

Mods? What do you think?

Once we get the more pressing problems sorted, I'll fiddle about with avatars.

And this time, I'll try not to break it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:31 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
Guia wrote:

Mods? What do you think?

Once we get the more pressing problems sorted, I'll fiddle about with avatars.

And this time, I'll try not to break it.

OMG, do we have the bestest mods or what! :]

And it takes a lot to have me reaching for that particular acronym, I can tell you! :o

TBH, I don't even know if it is possible to run avatars in the side panel (although I have seen it on other forums), but if so and if everyone else is happy then that would be super! It would keep from excessive incursions on a thread's continuity while making proper use of that gaping space to the left which anyway only serves to provide user info. The side panel is the place for an avatar, surely.

Alright, I'll stop sucking up for the purposes of pushing my own agenda now. :]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:03 pm 

hi.
why all of my post have to be first approved by moderator, before it will appear on the forum?
and why can't i make new threads?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:28 pm 

AnonimNo.513 wrote:
hi.
why all of my post have to be first approved by moderator, before it will appear on the forum?
and why can't i make new threads?

It's a setting we are trying to fix, but it requires six servers being simultaneously changed and I have access to none of them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:33 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
TeamSideways wrote:

Glitch, we're working on that.

Well, I say 'glitch' - I was experimenting with settings and broke it. The techies are fixing it for me and I'm going nowhere near pretty buttons again.

Ha Ha!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:13 pm 

mcdo wrote:
I loved the old thread and I love the new one.

But I have one question, how come we cannot resize images?

The BBCode for image resize is just a simple [img={width}x{height}]{url}[/img].

There are some great photos online that are just too big for the forum. A little bit of resizing would keep the forum nice and tidy & would allow good high quality photos.

There is an addon that can be installed that does it for us, it automatically shrinks pictures down to fit your screen. IMO we need that here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:33 pm 

An option to use our own theme/forum skin wouldnt go amiss to be honest, some of us are fairly proficient in web design and I wouldnt mind submitting a few alternate themes for the forum myself because the current look is..... aesthetically challenged in my own humble opinion.

Id also think long and hard about allowing images in signatures... the small, non animated bar signatures tend to be ok but some people just cannot help themselves when it comes to seizure inducing, bandwith molesting large images in their sigs. The same goes for avatars, the small 100x100 static images are more than passable and help to distinguis between posters... the large dancing banana animated gif ones make me want to harm small children (in a hypothetical sense :twisted: )

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:55 pm 

Thanks for all the artistic ideas, guys, but right now we're just trying to get technical stuff taken care of before we start fiddling with color schemes, avatars, etc. Not sure if you noticed, but it took quite awhile for all the mod powers to be reestablished! Black Ranger was on his own for a bit. We are now working feverishly to get used to everything, so we will hopefully be able to entertain all of these secondary ideas soon.

We really appreciate all of this feedback. As a whole, the change-over went rather smoothly. We'll continue to keep you updated!

Thanks,
The Mods

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:18 am 

Mod_Red wrote:
As a whole, the change-over went rather smoothly.

More specifically, it was fine til I tried to improve it :blush:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:28 am 

Overall I like the changes. As for the signatures, I think having images is nice, but maybe keeping them to a max of 250 pixels tall would keep from having them be a distraction.

Also, would it be possible to have avatars under our names, just something like 100 x 100 pixels?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:46 am 

All good except the size of banners/signatures is ridiculous..... MclarenFl as an example.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:52 am 

NeonBullet wrote:
Overall I like the changes. As for the signatures, I think having images is nice, but maybe keeping them to a max of 250 pixels tall would keep from having them be a distraction.

Also, would it be possible to have avatars under our names, just something like 100 x 100 pixels?

How about avatars under our names INSTEAD OF images in signatures?

I mean, just how much iconography does one person need?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:56 am 

As many others have suggested, please ditch the signature pics and go to (limited) avatars instead. Aside from the distraction and interruption of the thread flow, the bandwidth issue is major. Please consult with your IT people. Some of the signatures are already up to 1 meg in size! Also you should configure "quote" and "reply with quote" so they omit pictures (if that's possible, otherwise it should be frowned upon or against the rules).
The only internet service available to me is UBB (usage based billing). So I have to pay by the amount of data I use. If most people don't have that yet, believe me, it is the way of the future. If you are on a mobile, you probably pay for data.
I can't afford to pay 1 cent every time I see someones 1 meg sig (doesn't sound like much but adds up real quick). If it stays this way, the size of sigs will probably just keep going up. I will be forced to leave as I can't afford it. Likewise, pics that are appearing 10 times on a page because of quoting get expensive and in the long run I'm sure they slow things down.
Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited by virtuallynobody on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:57 am 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
Mod_Red wrote:
As a whole, the change-over went rather smoothly.

More specifically, it was fine til I tried to improve it :blush:

Persian rugs are made with at least one deliberate imperfection - because only God is capable of perfection.

Utter nonsense of course, but still. :]