planetf1.com

It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 7:57 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Bernie buys a McLaren
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:03 pm 

I see that Bernie Ecclestone has bought the McLaren with which Ayrton Senna won the 1993 Monaco Grand Prix, the MP4/8, powered by Ford.

Two things from this resonate for me. It's easy to criticise BCE but time and again, he's demonstrated that he is, deep down, a genuine F1 fan. I recall a story from years ago, and I can't be sure whether it's true or apocryphal, in which he was sitting on a wall with Jackie Stewart watching the old F1 cars go by at the Historic Monaco races and he turned to Jackie and said something like: "We've really effed things up, haven't we." Lovely if it's true.

The other thing is this. I don't know and haven't been able to discover whether the MP4/8 he has acquired is the chassis which Senna raced at the last Grand Prix of the year, Adelaide. If it is, I saw it carrying Senna to his last ever race win.

That year, I had no fancy passes so I chose a spot on Jones Straight, just by a footbridge, and stood there for the whole race with a stopwatch. The Williams-Renault FW15Cs were undoubtedly faster than the McLaren but in my view, that race was a Senna masterclass. Every time Prost attacked, Senna responded. He won by 9 seconds in the end. What the stopwatch told me was that his lap times were metronomic. Hugely impressive.

I've never been a Senna fan but that race was special for me. Even more so after Imola the following year.

Last edited by Huw on Sat May 12, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:22 pm 

It's amazing that old F1 cars are valued at £4m.

I hope Bernie looks after it.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:56 pm 

Nearly had a heart attack....misread it and thought it said...... Bernie buys McLaren! 8O

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:19 am 

Option or Prime wrote:
Nearly had a heart attack....misread it and thought it said...... Bernie buys McLaren! 8O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cZW-pbgeFs

30 seconds :P

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:05 am 

Although Bernie has made some questionable decisions while in charge of F1, I don't think his passion for the sport has ever been in doubt. I'm glad that he bought the McLaren: at least it's gone to an undoubted enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:24 am 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

Ah, now that's funny! I miss Gordon Murray... :-((

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:27 am 

MB-BOB wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

Ah, now that's funny! I miss Gordon Murray... :-((

That's Murray Walker :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:36 am 

Zoue wrote:
Although Bernie has made some questionable decisions while in charge of F1, I don't think his passion for the sport has ever been in doubt. I'm glad that he bought the McLaren: at least it's gone to an undoubted enthusiast

Agreed. American Indycar has taken several steps backwards through the years, and the WEC seems to be just plodding along. On balance, Ecclestone's F1 had constantly improved with new venues, improved safety, continuity in quality TV coverage, and new faces on stage to freshen the level of interest. It's an entertainment business in addition to a sport, and sometimes we forget how the potatos are mashed to keep it all running.

As an American, I no longer care whether there is an Indycar race to watch (apart from Indianapolis). But I eagerly await every F1 race, even planning my day and weeks ahead to make time for it. Someone has to get the nod for that. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:59 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

Excellent find or piece of recall, love the bewildered way he answers Murray Walker. Many thanks :D

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:37 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

Excellent find or piece of recall, love the bewildered way he answers Murray Walker. Many thanks :D

Once he's dead the media, espcially the British, will be singing his praises long and hard

Shame we can't see people in-the-round while they're alive

Honestly, he deserves a knighthood for what he has achieved

Edit: Wait i've just watched this video https://youtu.be/slf1hYrOKaY and apparently he would decline a knighthood

oh well, fair enough

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:47 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

"And now, as the race starts... my regrets we must leave Brands Hatch..join us again at quarter to five".

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:29 am 

Zoue wrote:

I do think he's got the best intentions, and for the record I took a lot of stick saying that when he was still in charge. :]

He dragged F1 in to the modern world. I genuinely believe he just had an outlook that some of us didn't agree with - I think he seen money as the key to the sport continuing to grow. That's not to say he didn't want to get personally rich, but he definitely was driven to make F1 as successful as possible. I don't know the inner workings of the team around him, but I get the impression he didn't refresh it enough and went on old school hunches.

The easy criticism was he was old and stuck in his ways. I don't believe that. Someone who is constantly travelling the world with a bunch of young and well educated, well paid people is going to be exposed pretty constantly to the ever-changing world. I'm not sure he recycled his team enough though, he strikes me as a consistency and loyalty kinda guy... at certain points you should be bringing in fresh blood, fresh outlooks, and fresh ideas.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:33 am 

Huw wrote:
I see that Bernie Ecclestone has bought the McLaren with which Ayrton Senna won the 1993 Monaco Grand Prix, the MP4/8, powered by Ford.
I was in the chicane grandstand on Saturday. Senna and this car had an accident coming out of the tunnel, and he hurt his wrist. He explained he had lost the car braking on a bump. On walking back on track after qualifying, we clearly saw the bump and the brake marks. On Sunday, he won with a bandaged wrist. (Damon Hill also had an accident at that point, but as I recall, it was because of suspension failure. And contrary to Senna, he simply slid into the escape road instead of hitting something.)

Good on Bernie for buying the McLaren! Such a good-looking car too.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi