planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:27 am 

Formula1Fan. wrote:
I don't think anyone can realistically argue Schumacher, Alonso and Hamilton are unproven. The quality of this trio is unquestionable and all have been the best on the grid at various times.

Greater question marks exist over Raikkonen, Button and Vettel who have never quite stood out from the rest in the same way*

*the RB7 being the real star last year

you kidding me right?? kimi nvr stood out??

how he drag the 2002 mclaren car to title fight with Schumacher in 2003 despite still driving on old version chassis and finished 2 points behind Schumacher.........

something that alonso did this season but got hail as god....kimi ???

MOST UNDERRATED DRIVER EVER..LMAO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:49 am 

Jeez...calm down.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:42 am 

NvrDieYoung wrote:
Formula1Fan. wrote:
I don't think anyone can realistically argue Schumacher, Alonso and Hamilton are unproven. The quality of this trio is unquestionable and all have been the best on the grid at various times.

Greater question marks exist over Raikkonen, Button and Vettel who have never quite stood out from the rest in the same way*

how he drag the 2002 mclaren car to title fight with Schumacher in 2003 despite still driving on old version chassis and finished 2 points behind Schumacher.........

Easy man!

I think Kimi is the guy who in my opinion has, over his career, deserved to be a multiple WDC winner but hasn't been able to achieve that because of reliability or various other issues. I say this because he has come very close twice to winning the WDC losing out to Schumacher and Alonso respectively.

The same can not be said for Lewis and JB.

I am not saying that Lewis and JB are not "proven" champions, all I am saying is that Kimi should have won it more than once and I believe he still has a chance.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:20 am 

By saying that your discrediting the team that won and the whole sport in general. Its not 1 person who builds the car and drives it, there are 100's involved in building the car, choosing the right strategy, performing pit stops etc. Its a team sport and in F1 when has there been a level playing field. Each team comes up with a smarter strategy or a brilliant innovation which gives them the advantage. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. Thats a fact of F1. Whoever won deserved to win and have proven they are better than the opposition.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:37 am 

ic3man wrote:
NvrDieYoung wrote:
Formula1Fan. wrote:

Easy man!

I think Kimi is the guy who in my opinion has, over his career, deserved to be a multiple WDC winner but hasn't been able to achieve that because of reliability or various other issues. I say this because he has come very close twice to winning the WDC losing out to Schumacher and Alonso respectively.

The same can not be said for Lewis and JB.

I am not saying that Lewis and JB are not "proven" champions, all I am saying is that Kimi should have won it more than once and I believe he still has a chance.

2007 Lewis was within a point of winning, 2012 he had an amazing drive and the only thing that let him down was the car. Kimi inherited his only win this season from a McLaren failure also his WDC positon by another McLaren failure in the last race (if Lewis won, which is an unknown) - the only thing I can work out from this is that the McLarens fail a lot.

Kimi of the past seems to be a different driver of the Kimi today. Is it the car? Is it rust from the long absence? He seems to be getting sharper as the season progresseed, but the car also seemed to slow aswell so negating his ability. He is not as sharp as he used to be, he was a proven WDC of the past but off the back of this season i'm not convinced he will be able to challenge for a WDC in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:41 am 

Out of the 6 the most recent one is surely the most capable and has the most potential and a definite cut above the rest.

Others are too close to each other and can be put in one big basket. TBH many other drivers could have won that one off title they won.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:16 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Of course, on the other hand you could say*

Schumacher only managed to secure his first WDC thanks to the fact his car was running illegal traction control and the only reason he was not thrown out of the championship was because given the death of Senna the last thing Formula 1 needed was his heir apparent to be the focus of a major cheating scandal.

He was then able to secure five successive world championships due to massive favouritism of Ferrari by the powers that be, and then by the dominance of the Bridgestone tyres when all the serious non Ferrari contenders switched to Michelin.

Alonso was only win his first WDC thanks to the fact Mercedes didn't know how to build an engine that lasted the required distance. His second was won against an ageing driver of yesteryear who consequently retired at the end of the year because he couldn't face going up against...

Raikkonen managed to sneak in a World Championship thanks to not being disqualified in Australia despite running an illegal floor. He was then fortunate that the two bestest ever drivers ever in the bestest car squabbled and took points from each other and then benefited from a mindless McLaren strategy to leave his main rival out on tyres that were down to the canvas. He further demonstrated his awesomeness by fighting Hamilton to the last race in a clearly faster car... oh wait a minute, no that was Massa, the guy who is going to be getting his P45 soon because it seems that he is consistently half a second slower than his team mate.

Vettel, given the fastest car relative to the rest of the grid since the F2004 and the FW-14B managed to not walk away with the championship like his predecessors had done and instead spent the year trying to find out if he could park his front wing in his competitors' cars at high speed. He also failed to win the 2009 championship when he had the outright fastest car for at least 11 races and was only marginally slower than the Brawn in the first few. He was unable to beat Button who drove a car that had virtually zero development from the first and last race when his car was designed and evolved by the greatest car design genius the sport has ever seen.

Meanwhile... Button maximised his package when it was the fastest and managed to collect points in every race except the one he was Grosjeaned out of. This was despite the fact he was driving a car which was running an engine it was never designed to accommodate and had zero development.

Hamilton won a championship in a car his team mate only managed to secure 7th place in - the greatest difference between a WDC and his season long team mate in over 25 years. This was despite the fact that McLaren was set back 12 months in their design and were not allowed to use any technology that Ferrari may have come up with creating many closed avenues of development. Despite having a much slower car than the Ferrari and having many dodgy calls from the FIA that went against him he still managed to prevail at the end of season.

I get a sense at best this thread is a case of "my favourite WDCs are better than your WDCs", at worst an attempt to start something warm and fighty.

* Please note that this post is deliberately facetious before anyone starts spitting out their beverage over their monitors

Probably the best answer ever on this forum. Thanks, can't agree with you more and I enjoyed reading it!