planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:27 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 pm 

Hakkattack wrote:
That car is FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like all the stars could align for Mr. Button this year with a great car and no Hamilton

if that is what he needs all Stars + a great car + no Hamilton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:45 pm 

ATM2 wrote:
Meh...I don't know, I'm a Button fan myself, but a car which is only fast, and nothing else, doesn't cut it.

Let's not forget that the 2012 McLaren was in itself quite fast. 7 wins, some other potential wins thrown in the litter bin due to all kinds of faults you can think of -but as far as I remember that car was really Alpha dog in the first 5-6 races of the season. It took a nearly incredible streak of crew goof-ups, bad set-up choices, Maldonado+Grosjean, bad morale (Button included) and mechanical failures to actually miss the WCC. I still believe that it was more Mclaren that lost the WCC, rather than RBR wining it.

It's reliability and consistency which they need to work on this year. And yes, I agree completely that this is Button's best shot at his second WDC, he may not get such a front-row opportunity in the next years. With the Hamilton factor out of the way, it is clear that Button's breathing on all his lungs now.

Jeez dude, kill the party why dont you!

Lets look sharp people, I want a quick dispersal this time.............check those corners......check those corners!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:06 pm 

Well, I'm cautiously optimistic, let's put it like this. After only one day of testing, there's no reason to jump off the roof, it will just make the fall more painful. For the time being, things look to be more or less in the right direction, and maybe that mechanical failure was nothing to worry about.
Geez, do I hate this period of the year. Seems like , no matter how long Bernie tries to extend the season, the winter break actually gets longer and longer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:08 pm 

ATM2 wrote:
Well, I'm cautiously optimistic, let's put it like this. After only one day of testing, there's no reason to jump off the roof, it will just make the fall more painful. For the time being, things look to be more or less in the right direction, and maybe that mechanical failure was nothing to worry about.
Geez, do I hate this period of the year. Seems like , no matter how long Bernie tries to extend the season, the winter break actually gets longer and longer.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Lets look sharp people, I want a quick dispersal this time.............check those corners......check those corners!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:03 am 

Haribo wrote:
Hakkattack wrote:
That car is FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like all the stars could align for Mr. Button this year with a great car and no Hamilton

Look who it is lurking in a Jenson Button thread.

I knew he was a fan!

Nico Hulkenburg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:50 am 

Haribo wrote:
Hakkattack wrote:

everyone needs a fast car.... always makes me laugh when people get on Vettel for having a fast car. Not a driver on the grid does not want a fast car. I think Button is looking very good for title run #2.... Plus he has done it before so I assume it is easier when you know you can do it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:44 am 

Hakkattack - I'm with you. But people people always seem to forget its the combo of driver and that specific car. It's Vettel combined with the Red Bull thats the winner. Whilst Mark is a very good driver, he doesn't bond with the car as well as Vettel.

Same with Button in 2009. It wasn't JUST the Brawn, it was Jenson and the Brawn combined that was so fast. Barichello (a very good driver) wasn't able to give the results do.

It's something that drives me mad when people say JB didn't deserve the WDC. He did, because it was him, not his team mate, with that car that just worked well together.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:14 am 

afterworks wrote:
Hakkattack - I'm with you. But people people always seem to forget its the combo of driver and that specific car. It's Vettel combined with the Red Bull thats the winner. Whilst Mark is a very good driver, he doesn't bond with the car as well as Vettel.

Same with Button in 2009. It wasn't JUST the Brawn, it was Jenson and the Brawn combined that was so fast. Barichello (a very good driver) wasn't able to give the results do.

It's something that drives me mad when people say JB didn't deserve the WDC. He did, because it was him, not his team mate, with that car that just worked well together.

I agree 100% In fact I am a Vettel fan... I get very mad when people act like it is just the car. With that said, the car must also be fast or no driver could win....

It is indeed a combo deal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:36 am 

H-Holloway wrote:
Haribo wrote:
Hakkattack wrote:

I knew he was a fan!

Someone mentioned Hamilton and some alarms probably went off in his control centre.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:01 am 

Covalent wrote:
H-Holloway wrote:
Haribo wrote:
Hakkattack wrote:

I knew he was a fan!

Someone mentioned Hamilton and some alarms probably went off in his control centre.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:37 pm 

Haribo wrote:
Hakkattack wrote:

Meh, JB beat him in 2011 already, Hamilton's no Usain Bolt of the F1 world or something you know :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:01 pm 

Hmm...as a fan of Hamilton...Button and his Mclaren is the car I fear this year :)

I foresee him racking up numerous wins... :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:57 am 

Hey you should be a fan of both like me then it's a win-win whoever wins out of them, I enjoyed 2008 and 2009 equally as much :) Shame McLaren let them both down so much during their time together. By the way Lewis reckoned there was easily more time left in the Merc so it could still be all the same usual suspects this year ...

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/02/06/h ... ake-pedal/

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:07 am 

Looks like Button is set with McLaren for the foreseeable future

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22557357

Quote:
McLaren have no drivers under contract for 2015, but Neale made it clear that Jenson Button would be one of the team's drivers at the start of the Honda relationship if he wanted to stay.

"Jenson will drive here as long as he wants to drive here," Neale said. "He is a great guy and he's doing a really good job in some difficult times for us at the moment.

"He fits our value and our culture here really well. His comment to the workforce this morning was more a question of hoping he is still here in 2015. He's excited by the prospects as well."

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:35 pm 

Jenson is definitely getting happier with the car, reckons 5th in Monaco Qualification was possible without the failing fuel pump. He's also been known to go well in Canada. :)

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107649

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:08 pm 

After many pitlane incidents in 2012 for Mclaren Team, it seems this year those hurting mistakes are reduced massively. However, looking at 12 GP weekends of 2013 Formula 1 season so far, the biggest mistake in the pits occurred when the most clear podium opportunity arose. That means one mistake was enough to cause huge damage in terms of season accomplishments.

Maybe Jenson Button is considering many things throughout his contract negotiations with McLaren.
There are indeed many things to consider:

The forgotten plug at 2010 Monaco GP,
Wrong fuel calculations at 2010 Turkish GP,
Wrong tire strategy that costed a certain win at 2011 Monaco GP,
Kers issues (on and off) during races at 2011 Valencia and Abu Dhabi GPs,
Hydraulic issue that resulted in retirement at 2011 Germany GP,
Wrong call on tires during 2011 Hungary GP which Jenson correctly did not comply,
Pit stop problem during 2012 Chinese GP that gifted Nico Rosberg a comfortable win,
Differential problem which meant no points at 2012 Bahrain GP,
HUGE setup problems for the next 3 races that Jenson and his engineers* selected wrong way for setup,
Additional problems for gearbox which caused him much less practice running for 2012 Canadian GP,
Fuel system issue that caused him another podium loss at 2012 Italian GP,
Strange throttle pedal problem in qualifying session of 2012 USA GP that ultimately robbed him of yet another podium finishing position,
and maybe losing one and only podium of 2013 season at Malaysian GP because of this season's only major mistake during pitstops.

And if McLaren opt to consider Jenson's performance, accomplishments and mistakes too, then it is not a surprise why an official decision lacks presence.

*=Bear in mind that those group of engineers who worked with Jenson, Team Principle and Jenson himself all had partial responsibility on that occasion.

Last edited by Alaaddin on Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:39 pm 

Alaaddin wrote:
and maybe losing one and only podium of 2013 season at Malaysian GP because of this season's only major mistake during pitstops.

At the very least it was 5th place, and this season 10 points is massive.

That said, for Button the best bet is Lotus, who have yet to show that they are capable of producing sustained competitive cars over a number of seasons.

For McLaren the best bet is Hulkenburg, who is unproven. Furthermore, they have an inferior driver who has less than half the points total of Button (despite Button losing out on Malaysia) who any sensible team would go about replacing first unless Button is being actively difficult in negotiations.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:30 am 

Bahamut19 wrote:
Alaaddin wrote:

At the very least it was 5th place, and this season 10 points is massive.

That said, for Button the best bet is Lotus, who have yet to show that they are capable of producing sustained competitive cars over a number of seasons.

For McLaren the best bet is Hulkenberg, who is unproven. Furthermore, they have an inferior driver who has less than half the points total of Button (despite Button losing out on Malaysia) who any sensible team would go about replacing first unless Button is being actively difficult in negotiations.

You are absolutely right about that bold part, but it is a kind of last hope situation if everything fails in contract negotiations with McLaren. Although his current team made many unbelievable mistakes in the past, McLaren team has a stable core, but a weaker corona with the name of Mercedes-Benz after 2009 season. When that corona will change for good with the name of factory backing of Honda, perhaps Team Mclaren-Honda will be a dominant force (at least competitive enough to mount a wdc challenge) and Jenson Button already knows it before the official statement of McLaren and Honda companies. That is why he pushes for a long term contract that extends beyond 2015.

Insisting on a high salary is the last thing Jenson should do at the moment. Having a high salary may seem good (as always), but it increases the pressure for both the team and the driver. Maybe Sebastian Vettel's not too much salary is a contributor to his recent level of success.

McLaren Team is not dumb, so if Jenson agrees on a reasonable amount of salary, and continue the level of competitiveness he set in 2003, 2004, 2006, 2009 (partially), 2010, 2011 and in some parts of 2012 too, McLaren team would be grateful to have Jenson Button on board even in 2020.

Last edited by Alaaddin on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:18 am 

Jenson has already signed for 2014. 2015 he said he can't comment.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/24180/8929692/jenson-button-confirms-his-2014-mclaren-contract-is-now-in-place

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:01 pm 

I don't think Jenson has a contract for 2015. He said yesterday he 'can't say' whether his deal extends beyond 2014. I think Whitmarsh really is waiting to see what happens with Alonso.

Whitmarsh is dangling the McLaren carrot in front of Alonso, hoping Fernando will bite if his relationship with Ferrari deteriorates further next year. And with a works Honda deal in place, Alonso will surely be very tempted to return to Woking, especially if the car is competitive next year.

And if McLaren do sign Alonso, that makes Jenson surplus to requirements, as it would be much more beneficial to McLaren in the long term if they put Kevin Magnussen and Stoffel Vandoorne in the other car.

Worrying times for us Jenson fans :( Especially as it is difficult to see where he would go in 2015 if he isn't with McLaren. I can't see him replacing Alonso at Ferrari, because I don't think they would want two veteran drivers, especially with Bianchi being an option. There won't be any other top seats open except from Lotus possibly, and I doubt they would take on Jenson's salary given their financial difficulties, and nor would any midfield team for that matter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:15 pm 

benmc wrote:
I don't think Jenson has a contract for 2015. He said yesterday he 'can't say' whether his deal extends beyond 2014. I think Whitmarsh really is waiting to see what happens with Alonso.

Whitmarsh is dangling the McLaren carrot in front of Alonso, hoping Fernando will bite if his relationship with Ferrari deteriorates further next year. And with a works Honda deal in place, Alonso will surely be very tempted to return to Woking, especially if the car is competitive next year.

And if McLaren do sign Alonso, that makes Jenson surplus to requirements, as it would be much more beneficial to McLaren in the long term if they put Kevin Magnussen and Stoffel Vandoorne in the other car.

Worrying times for us Jenson fans :( Especially as it is difficult to see where he would go in 2015 if he isn't with McLaren. I can't see him replacing Alonso at Ferrari, because I don't think they would want two veteran drivers, especially with Bianchi being an option. There won't be any other top seats open except from Lotus possibly, and I doubt they would take on Jenson's salary given their financial difficulties, and nor would any midfield team for that matter.

Ouch pairing a rookie up with Alonso? I don't think Mclaren would do that again, especially as they rate Magnussen and Vandoorme very highly indeed and everyone saw what happened last time a !laren rookie was paired with Alonso.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:54 pm 

benmc wrote:

If McLaren sign Alonso, that will be the biggest opportunity for Jenson Button to do something legendary after his drive at Canada GP in 2011. Nowadays with the help of not so good MP4-28, Jenson is clearly slipping down the F1 route just like 2007 and 2008 with uncompetitive Honda. It seems that The Kiss of Life* can come earlier than 2015 with the arrival of Fernando Alonso. If Martin manages to bring him to McLaren before 2015, Jenson will race with his utmost best throughout the 2014 season regardless of MP4-29's performance. As Jenson has already proved that he does not have second thoughts over racing with WDC teammates (2003 and 2010-2012), it can also be seen that Martin may understood what charges Jenson to full power and what demotivates him as well.

The partnering of these two WDCs (if that happens) will also close any unfinished business if there is any.
In my opinion, the stats that Jenson Button can achieve over Fernando are:

1) Scoring more points during partnership
2) Getting higher average WDC position -numerically lower-
3) Achieving more podiums**

He has already beat his former two WDC teammates on those stats, so Jenson can be hopeful of doing the same for Fernando Alonso.

*or Kiss of Death if he gets beaten stat wise.
**equal with Jacques Villeneuve and that is 0.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:04 pm 

With the 2013 Singapore GP has been concluded, we can see Jenson has been very successful at this track so far. If we compare his Singapore GP race results with his teammates (Barrichello, Hamilton, Perez);

2008: 9th -------- Retired
2009: 5th -------- 6th
2010: 4th -------- Retired
2011: 2nd -------- 5th
2012: 2nd -------- Retired
2013: 7th -------- 8th

Up to this date, Jenson Button has collected %74.85 of his teams total points in Singapore and that is a quite of an accomplishment. However, the next race of calendar has been the weakest track for Jenson so far. He has been outscored in each Korean GP. If this track is dropped from F1 calendar in the future, this will be an automatic boost for Jenson in terms of on track achievements.

If we analyze the track layouts, the ones in Singapore and Melbourne (another track he is very strong at) have many similarities. His driving style gives him an edge on both the lap time and car reliability at these tracks. As we know being exceptional at every F1 track is a tall order for every racing driver, setting his car stable and reasonably competitive enough for his weaker tracks may give Jenson a helping hand on the bigger picture come the season end.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:27 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFAJwsBjTPM

God that was good driving!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:32 am 

Alaaddin wrote:
With the 2013 Singapore GP has been concluded, we can see Jenson has been very successful at this track so far. If we compare his Singapore GP race results with his teammates (Barrichello, Hamilton, Perez);

Up to this date, Jenson Button has collected %74.85 of his teams total points in Singapore and that is a quite of an accomplishment. However, the next race of calendar has been the weakest track for Jenson so far. He has been outscored in each Korean GP. If this track is dropped from F1 calendar in the future, this will be an automatic boost for Jenson in terms of on track achievements.

If we analyze the track layouts, the ones in Singapore and Melbourne (another track he is very strong at) have many similarities. His driving style gives him an edge on both the lap time and car reliability at these tracks. As we know being exceptional at every F1 track is a tall order for every racing driver, setting his car stable and reasonably competitive enough for his weaker tracks may give Jenson a helping hand on the bigger picture come the season end.

Very interesting stats you got here, i always thought Lewis was mighty in Singapore but Jenson looks to be just as good.

2010 he was close to Lewis but doing his own race before Lewis crashed. 2011 he was much better than Lewis. 2012 Lewis was faster/better before his DNF, but Jenson wasn't bad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:20 pm 

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
Alaaddin wrote:

Very interesting stats you got here, i always thought Lewis was mighty in Singapore but Jenson looks to be just as good.

2010 he was close to Lewis but doing his own race before Lewis crashed. 2011 he was much better than Lewis. 2012 Lewis was faster/better before his DNF, but Jenson wasn't bad.

The bold part shows i did the right thing by showing that results after all. I knew Jenson was being underestimated in Singapore track because of his qualifying performances. I don't know the exact reason of this but qualifying performances are being taken just as important as race results. They are NOT separate things, qualifying on pole or on front row would mean nothing* if you retire from race. Anyway, thanks for the video link you showed above. It was refreshing after a disappointing season so far for Jenson Button and his fans.

*apart from making headlines, increased TV coverage, increased rating in minds as having good one lap pace, being called as unlucky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:16 am 

This is what i don't like with Jenson Button. He sees a car on horizon and his lap time is affected negatively. Having more than 200 GP starts and a WDC, he could at least outqualify Sergio. However as i said in an earlier post, this Korean track layout does not suit his driving style. I hope he lets go Mark Webber at start if Webber attacks him.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:40 am 

I thought he said he lost about a tenth through the last sector due to the dirty air? Either way, Mclaren weren't going to get much further up the grid today.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:03 pm 

GoOnJenson wrote:
I thought he said he lost about a tenth through the last sector due to the dirty air? Either way, Mclaren weren't going to get much further up the grid today.

I wish Jenson lets Webber go if Webber tries to overtake him. Because Mark has a strong race pace and if he can save his tyres in the first stint, he will attack for a podium finish. And we know there are many cars in front of him that will defend against Mark very hard. This may give one or both McLarens a helping hand because of tyre situation.

Hoping for other team tussles to reach podium let alone win due to the odd design of MP4-28. What a strange feeling! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:50 am 

At the Suzuka circuit 2013, Jenson Button is very strong even with mp4-28; short runs are good, long runs are good, the strategy is good and his Racing Helmet is awesome just except those two wrestlers at the top of it.

I know it is a traditional value for Japan, but when you put them at the top of your helmet, it seems weird and uncomfortable.

Wrestling just does not fit with motorsports.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:30 am 

My gut feeling is that Honda would quite like an Alonso-Button partnership for the first year or two of the partnership.

And so would i.... :o

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:06 am 

Has Jensen clean shaved in Japan to fit in with the Japanese fans? The support in Japan with Honda will lift his race pace here too..est race finish p7 in japan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:14 am 

He needs 4/10th in race pace to finish p5 at japan..possible

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:33 am 

AFCTUJacko wrote:
My gut feeling is that Honda would quite like an Alonso-Button partnership for the first year or two of the partnership.

And so would i.... :o

race on track with race suits on?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:54 am 

DrJones wrote:
Has Jensen clean shaved in Japan to fit in with the Japanese fans? The support in Japan with Honda will lift his race pace here too..est race finish p7 in japan

Well he's been doing public appearances for Gillette... So it's probably at their request.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:35 pm 

from http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson ... an_gr.html

Unfortunately, i didn't hear any Jenson Victory shouts on podiums in 2013 so far.

I searched the archives to look for another year that McLaren Team got no better than 5th in a race all season long. And i was shocked to see the last season McLaren couldn't achieve at least 4th place was the year they started to race in Formula 1. That was the debut year for McLaren with the name "Bruce McLaren Motor Racing" in 1966 with Firestone tyres.

After many years of getting victories, podiums, fighting for championships and even dominating the competition in 1980s, this year with a futuristic and technological headquarters based in Woking, the team accomplished only 5th in China and India. Unfortunately, this is the best result of the team so far. I knew 2013 was a bad year for McLaren like 2006, but with deeper analyzing, i understood it was far from their 2006 campaign.

Rise McLaren, RISE!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:29 pm 

It's their worst season because not only did they have a car that couldn't hit top 6, it couldn't hit top 10. They took a completely different path from last season and they gave up on this season pretty quickly.

With the rule changes next season it did make sense on them, the only worry is if they have gone radical and again stuffed it up. I would be shocked if they didn't make the car a top 3 team car. Start of this season the car was more than a dog to drive.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:37 am 

I still wonder how they would have fared if they reverted to the 2012 car, I know it wouldn't have been as quick as the bulls or mercs but it would have been much better than what they designed for this season.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:54 am 

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team/jenson-button/jenson-button-early-years/

Excellent series by McLaren so far, very detailed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:06 am 

Robbo-92 wrote:
I still wonder how they would have fared if they reverted to the 2012 car, I know it wouldn't have been as quick as the bulls or mercs but it would have been much better than what they designed for this season.

Yes, It would´ve been at pair with the bulls IMO just look at Magnussen did a lap time enough to be 6th on the grid in his 3rd flying lap, at the YDT and was on top of sheets, While Checo qualified in 7th and Button in 12th with the MP4-28
For me it´s not the boy, it was the late MP4-27 was a rocket of a car, and I believe that´s the arrogance Checo mentioned about McLaren, to admit they built a dog of a car and revert to the MP4-27