planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:40 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:52 am 

He also got held up by a Lotus locking up at every corner.

He's in a great position strategy wise, surely they must run him long on the softs for his first stint, and then pick them off at the end on the super softs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:02 pm 

This years McLaren is a dog, if he doesn't resign for 2014 it'll be a sad way to end his career.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:06 pm 

I thought Austria was supposed to be a big push up the grid. What a nightmare!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:19 pm 

"From then on, my race was all about sitting in the train, waiting for people ahead of me to pit, and trying to make my strategy work - which in the end I couldn't."

He was on the same strategy as Perez who started behind him yet finished ahead of him in the points while bothering to overtake as well so this is poor from Jenson. Does he really try hard enough when not in a really fast car or not in a good starting position ? Unlike others I don't doubt his absolute speed but I do doubt his commitment in races from time to time.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/06/22/2 ... pit-stops/

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/06/22/2 ... test-laps/

1 Sergio Perez Force India-Mercedes 1’12.142 59
7 Kevin Magnussen McLaren-Mercedes 1’12.746 0.604 53
8 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1’12.858 0.716 60
11 Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes 1’13.156 1.014 60

Perez and Button best lap times were on supersofts, Magnussen and Hulkenberg on softs. Looking at Perez-Button FI looks the faster car, looking at Magnussen-Hulkenberg McLaren looks the faster car. Now I know he is faster than Perez .... when he wants to be. Magnussen needs to start catching up in points to give Jenson the motivation he needs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:31 pm 

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... to-improve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:08 pm 

mas wrote:
http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/f1/9364297/dennis-challenges-button-to-improve

Apparently, that information is classified. I'm not allowed to see it. :(

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:22 pm 

Good old Ron. He likes to apply pressure on his drivers, doesn't he?

'Yes, they're doing a good job. Now they need to do an even better one'

This is why he's had so much success.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:53 pm 

For those who can't view it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f6a7IhZuC8&list=UUrHLOGEVqclYcMn7rlYg-VA

I think he has a point, Kevin has out qualified Jenson a lot more than he should, even for a highly ranked rookie.

He has outraced him too occasionally

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:58 am 

It will be nice to have a run of qualifying sessions where neither driver has an issue (yellow flags, engine issues, traffic, etc)

It's usually Button by -0.3 on a trouble free weekend, but Magnussen is usually there to take advantage of misfortune. What more can a team ask for from a rookie?

I think both drivers are having a good season, barring the early clashes with Kimi for KMag, and a couple of (probably) over cautious starts from Jenson.

I still think they'll keep the same lineup for 2015. This is just Ron being Ron.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:52 am 

I don't see anything out of the ordinary about what Ron said in that interview. He didn't say he was disappointed or looking to replace either driver as yet. I'd expect any TP to be saying things like that to their drivers, if they don't they're not really TP material.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:06 pm 

I think Ron is saying Jenson isn't doing as good as he should. Maybe i am wrong but that is how i understood it. He said he expects better and jenson should be beating Kevin, which implies he thinks is not happening and kevin did beat jenson in Austria, and convincingly so.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:13 pm 

He wants Jenson to be a clear No.1 driver like say Hamilton or Alonso or the implication being he will find someone that will be but that is unlikely while McLaren is mid-pack but that is the implied threat. On the other hand if he thinks Magnussen is a future world champion as he does how does he expect Jenson to do this regularly ? Basically if Jenson wants to keep his job he will have to start out-driving the car which is not his usual style but I think he could do it if he set his mind to it, as I noticed earlier he did less with a similar strategy at Austria then Perez did.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:46 pm 

GoOnJenson wrote:

success and failure.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:35 pm 

Robot wrote:
GoOnJenson wrote:

success and failure.

I would say definitely failure with drivers

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:51 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Robot wrote:
GoOnJenson wrote:

success and failure.

Do we think he's applied too much pressure in the past?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:07 pm 

GoOnJenson wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Robot wrote:
GoOnJenson wrote:

success and failure.

Do we think he's applied too much pressure in the past?

I think he tends to view drivers just as employees who should feel priviledged to drive for McLaren, i mean the first thing he did with Alonso was make him cut his hair and never be unshaven, Alonso a 2xWDC, what the.........

Also there seems a tendency within the team to blame the drivers for lack of performance

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:19 pm 

pokerman wrote:
I think he tends to view drivers just as employees who should feel priviledged to drive for McLaren, i mean the first thing he did with Alonso was make him cut his hair and never be unshaven, Alonso a 2xWDC, what the.........

Also there seems a tendency within the team to blame the drivers for lack of performance

My opinion, good!

McLaren are a team who focuses on the details and appearances play a part, so i think if he is going to make every engineer or team employee stick to a dress code why not the drivers? are they somewhat better?

Maybe he does put in more pressure and i don't know if that yields results or not, we will have to see hwo things turn out. I am not getting the vibe that the current drivers will be there next year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:35 pm 

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
pokerman wrote:

My opinion, good!

McLaren are a team who focuses on the details and appearances play a part, so i think if he is going to make every engineer or team employee stick to a dress code why not the drivers? are they somewhat better?

Maybe he does put in more pressure and i don't know if that yields results or not, we will have to see hwo things turn out. I am not getting the vibe that the current drivers will be there next year.

I think it shows a controlling attitude

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:24 am 

pokerman wrote:
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
pokerman wrote:

My opinion, good!

why, because he is forcing company policy on the drivers? what makes them receive better treatment that the other 400+ workers for the team?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:39 am 

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
pokerman wrote:
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
pokerman wrote:

My opinion, good!

why, because he is forcing company policy on the drivers? what makes them receive better treatment that the other 400+ workers for the team?

Well i guess some drivers then leave, Kimi, Alonso, Hamilton

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:06 am 

pokerman wrote:
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
pokerman wrote:
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
pokerman wrote:

My opinion, good!

I think with the exception of Hamilton others left because the cars or team let them down too much. actually, Hamilton included, but he also disliked the formalities you mentioned more than most

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:30 am 

hmmmm, Ron Dennis playing games with regard to the 2015 season?...
My guess is he would like to keep him but is pushing for a salary drop...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:23 pm 

Now made into an article for the video-phobes.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/93662 ... ry-Harder-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:36 pm 

Button has 14 points on the rookie Ron so proudly stated he brought to the team. Now, I'm not bashing Kevin, but to me he hasn't been that impressive. Qualifying has always been Jenson's biggest weakness, and even so, they are 4-4 so far this year, even with Jenson getting a bit unlucky with traffic during Monaco and Austria. In races, Jenson has been as solid as ever so far this season, so again, I fail to see where Kevin is even matching him. Qualifying still brings in 0 points on its own. Sure, he had a poor weekend in Austria, but that alone isn't worth saying Jenson needs to "try harder". Bad weekends always happen, especially in a dog of a car.

I truly hope Ron is putting this much pressure on the guys working at the MTC and his engineers in general to build a better car as he is on his drivers. By the end of the year, Jenson will still be pretty comfortably in front of Kevin, so I'm curios to see what Ron will have to say about that.

Last edited by amngoogly87 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:37 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:
hmmmm, Ron Dennis playing games with regard to the 2015 season?...
My guess is he would like to keep him but is pushing for a salary drop...

The more I read it the more I sense mind games. Boullier seems delighted with JB, and has made it clear that he is expected to stay, yet Ron is telling him to try harder.

Is Ron trying to motivate his drivers while they are in an uncompetitive car? I think so. On track, I think they're both doing their jobs well. I think Ron is pushing them to maximise their performance. I think its a bit of a test from old Ron to see what Jenson is made of.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:14 pm 

I think Dolomite has a point, Ron did say " He is a highly paid grand prix driver"

maybe he is just haggling for money, i would be so disappointed if that was the case, I think Jenson is probably one of the least paid WDCs.

Surely less than Alonso, Hamilton and Kimi (probably)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:36 pm 

amngoogly87 wrote:
Button has 14 points on the rookie Ron so proudly stated he brought to the team. Now, I'm not bashing Kevin, but to me he hasn't been that impressive. Qualifying has always been Jenson's biggest weakness, and even so, they are 4-4 so far this year, even with Jenson getting a bit unlucky with traffic during Monaco and Austria. In races, Jenson has been as solid as ever so far this season, so again, I fail to see where Kevin is even matching him. Qualifying still brings in 0 points on its own. Sure, he had a poor weekend in Austria, but that alone isn't worth saying Jenson needs to "try harder". Bad weekends always happen, especially in a dog of a car.

I truly hope Ron is putting this much pressure on the guys working at the MTC and his engineers in general to build a better car as he is on his drivers. By the end of the year, Jenson will still be pretty comfortably in front of Kevin, so I'm curios to see what Ron will have to say about that.

Qualifying may not win you races, but it sure can lose you them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:49 am 

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
pokerman wrote:
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
pokerman wrote:
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:

My opinion, good!

I think with the exception of Hamilton others left because the cars or team let them down too much. actually, Hamilton included, but he also disliked the formalities you mentioned more than most

Well i believe Kimi absolutely hated it also

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:42 pm 

Jenson's helmet for this weekend's British GP, a tribute to his dad:

There are also a few high-res pictures on McLaren's official Facebook page but they don't really fit here and I don't know how to resize them properly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:12 am 

Really hoping Jenson has a good race this weekend, from what Ron Dennis has been saying it sounds like it could be his last season at McLaren (although I really hope it isn't, next to a Japanese driver Jenson is the next best thing for marketing reasons) so getting a good result in front of his home crowd would do him wonders. Realistically though I think 5th is the best McLaren can hope for as the Mercedes are looking really strong again and the Red Bull is good on its aero so they should do well with Silverstone being an aero dependant circuit. Will Ron be happy with a 5th position though?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:54 pm 

So Today McLaren brought an upgrade package.

I found it very strange that the available wing was given to Kevin and not JB, arguably you should have the more experienced guy give you his feedback on new parts? Jenson will get his wing tomorrow.
These kind of things never happened with Lewis and both had the same equipment at the same time.

They were very close despite the emphasis that they have different cars.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:20 am 

Jenson has outqualified Lewis here both in 2010 and 2012.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:11 am 

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:

I found it very strange that the available wing was given to Kevin and not JB, arguably you should have the more experienced guy give you his feedback on new parts? Jenson will get his wing tomorrow.
These kind of things never happened with Lewis and both had the same equipment at the same time.

Spa 2012?

Jenson got a new wing and Lewis tweeted telemetry as he threw his toys out of the pram.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:49 am 

Seanie wrote:
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:

Spa 2012?

Jenson got a new wing and Lewis tweeted telemetry as he threw his toys out of the pram.

Not the case, both had the wing on Friday and tested it then each of them made a choice according to their preference as data was inconclusive due to some weather changes. Lewis' Tweet was to say he lost the time due to the car and not himself.

There were instances were Jenson and Lewis ran different programs, but not due to the lack of hardware or preferential treatment. Jenson has also been saying he only has one session to make the wing work which is kind of a backfoot situation, and given his experience i am wondering why the team chose to give the rookie the new hardware.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:20 pm 

Well Jenson was ahead of mag on the old wing and behind on the new wasn't he?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:44 pm 

Yeah, he was utterly crap all day today.

Impressive stuff from Kevin as well

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:05 pm 

Did he use the new wing in quali? You'd have thought reverting to the old wing would make sense since for some reason it works for him now?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:58 pm 

When looking at the championship standings I noticed that Jenson Button has just as much championship points as Felipe Massa and Kimi Raikkonen combined (59). Not something you would have expected, given the fact that the McLaren isn't as strong as the Williams or the Ferrari.

I do have to note that both Massa and Raikkonen haven't had the best of seasons so far due to numerous reasons, so it's not as if Button is dominating them. Just a statistic I felt worth sharing, given the criticism which Button occasionally receives.

PF1 Pick 3 Competition: 1st (2014); 1st (2015)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:40 am 

GPG wrote:
When looking at the championship standings I noticed that Jenson Button has just as much championship points as Felipe Massa and Kimi Raikkonen combined (59). Not something you would have expected, given the fact that the McLaren isn't as strong as the Williams or the Ferrari.

I do have to note that both Massa and Raikkonen haven't had the best of seasons so far due to numerous reasons, so it's not as if Button is dominating them. Just a statistic I felt worth sharing, given the criticism which Button occasionally receives.

He's having a good year, that's for sure. I think the Mclaren might even be a half decent car when we get to Spa for the 'second half' of the season, so I reckon a podium or two should at least be possible.

2015, back to winning ways again, with KMag giving him a very hard time indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:23 pm 

Latest Santander ad with JB in it. This is why I love this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMpdYn58h88