planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:15 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:54 am 

Floppy_Boy wrote:
Latest Santander ad with JB in it. This is why I love this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMpdYn58h88

:lol: love it!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:31 pm 

Floppy_Boy wrote:

Brilliant! I love it!

3) McLaren to score at least 1 point... but to spend the season fighting with Manor-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:02 pm 

Floppy_Boy wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:35 am 

An interview with Jenson with some fun answers

http://motor.as.com/motor/2014/09/02/fo ... 22856.html

Quote:
Se habla de Alonso y de Vettel como pilotos de McLaren en 2015, ¿algún favorito?

Mi favorito es Jenson Button.

-There is talk of Alonso and Vettel to be in McLaren in 2015, who is your favorite (in terms of who would you bet on, I think)

My favorite is Jenson Button
:lol: :lol:

Quote:
Cierto, pero ¿cuál sería un reto mayor?

Alonso. Tengo mucho respeto por Fernando. Lo conozco desde el kárting. Me gusta cómo trabaja, es muy fuerte mentalmente. Es rápido, no se si el más rápido, pero sí es el más completo. Y no lo digo porque estemos en España, lo digo porque es verdad.

-Which on would be a bigger challenge? (as a teammate)

Alonso. I have a lot of respect for Fernando. I know him from karting. I like how he works, has very strong mentality. He's fast, not the fastest, but the most complete. And I don't say that because we're in Spain right now (where the interview is taking place) but because it's the true.

The other questions/answers weren't too interesting, that's why I didn't translate them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:12 am 

VDV23 wrote:
An interview with Jenson with some fun answers

http://motor.as.com/motor/2014/09/02/fo ... 22856.html

Quote:
Se habla de Alonso y de Vettel como pilotos de McLaren en 2015, ¿algún favorito?

Mi favorito es Jenson Button.

-There is talk of Alonso and Vettel to be in McLaren in 2015, who is your favorite (in terms of who would you bet on, I think)

My favorite is Jenson Button
:lol: :lol:

Quote:
Cierto, pero ¿cuál sería un reto mayor?

Alonso. Tengo mucho respeto por Fernando. Lo conozco desde el kárting. Me gusta cómo trabaja, es muy fuerte mentalmente. Es rápido, no se si el más rápido, pero sí es el más completo. Y no lo digo porque estemos en España, lo digo porque es verdad.

-Which on would be a bigger challenge? (as a teammate)

Alonso. I have a lot of respect for Fernando. I know him from karting. I like how he works, has very strong mentality. He's fast, not the fastest, but the most complete. And I don't say that because we're in Spain right now (where the interview is taking place) but because it's the true.

The other questions/answers weren't too interesting, that's why I didn't translate them.

Interesting that Button should say that because Alonso himself said he is not the fastest, who is deemed as being faster, Hamilton?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 8th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:38 am 

It's all about perception, I think. Vettel has the reputation as one of the best qualifiers ever but he's been driving Newey-rocketships for 4 straight years. You'd think that people who have dedicated their lives to F1 as journalists or whatever would be able to look beyond the results but sadly it's not the case. Vettel winning races with 30s+ over the likes of Alonso, Button, Kimi and Hamilton made him a candidate for GOAT while it was obvious how much of it was the car. Alonso has demolished both Kimi and Massa in qualy but because the Ferrari is bad (especially on Sat) he is being perceived as slower.

I'm absolutely sure that if Rosberg's or Webber's or Massa's teammate was Karthikeyan or Piquet Jr. and he had a dominant car for 4+ years they'd all be candidates for being one of the greatest drivers to have entered the sport.

But that's just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:50 am 

VDV23 wrote:
It's all about perception, I think. Vettel has the reputation as one of the best qualifiers ever but he's been driving Newey-rocketships for 4 straight years. You'd think that people who have dedicated their lives to F1 as journalists or whatever would be able to look beyond the results but sadly it's not the case. Vettel winning races with 30s+ over the likes of Alonso, Button, Kimi and Hamilton made him a candidate for GOAT while it was obvious how much of it was the car. Alonso has demolished both Kimi and Massa in qualy but because the Ferrari is bad (especially on Sat) he is being perceived as slower.

I'm absolutely sure that if Rosberg's or Webber's or Massa's teammate was Karthikeyan or Piquet Jr. and he had a dominant car for 4+ years they'd all be candidates for being one of the greatest drivers to have entered the sport.

But that's just my 2 cents.

Its Alonso's own perception of himself backed up it seems by Button, i doubt that Alonso is fooled into thinking Vettel is the GOAT given some things he has said about Vettel in the past plus rumours of his interest in Red Bull, i was thinking more about Hamilton because Alonso and Button have both been his teammates

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:38 pm 

The usual point about Button outscoring Hamilton in their time together as team mates in the "Who were the best in McLaren, Hamilton or Button?" thread got me wondering how he's fared throughout the rest of his career. And was shocked to find the last time a team mate outscored him was Fisichella in 2001! 2001! That's 13 seasons and counting if he finishes ahead of Magnussen this year.

Full stats are:
Villeneuve (2003) - 12:6
Sato (2003-2005) - 127:38
Barrichello (2006-2009) - 160:118
Hamilton (2010-2012) - 672:657
Perez (2013) - 73:49

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:45 pm 

He's more capable than people give him credit for. He's only had a decent enough car to showcase it for four or five seasons.

You can't even argue that it's his fault the cars can't get a decent set up, because his teammates 9 times out of 10 struggle also.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:24 pm 

Seanie wrote:
He's more capable than people give him credit for. He's only had a decent enough car to showcase it for four or five seasons.

You can't even argue that it's his fault the cars can't get a decent set up, because his teammates 9 times out of 10 struggle also.

You can kind of understand that argument given that he is the experienced guy and he is expected to contribute in that area.

But you can make the argument that the team has moved forward under Jenson's leadership this year. Look at Malaysia, China and Spain for example - all major aero circuits (Spain more so) and you'll see McLaren were competing with Force India and Toro Rosso at those races. Then we get to Silverstone and Spa (again both aero circuits) and they are competing with Alonso and Vettel. That's a firm two fingers to the critics who say that Jenson has hindered the team since Lewis left - or at least it is if you believe that it is down to drivers to move teams forward, which I think is the biggest myth in modern F1.

The crazy thing about this forum is you have a thread asking whether or not Jenson should retire, then you have others saying how amazing Hulkenberg is. Yet Hulkenberg's points advantage over Perez is not much better than Button's last year. Actually, Perez is ahead 5-4 in races both he and Hulk have finished, while the same stat at this point last season had Jenson ahead 8-2.

I simply think it was, and still is, hard for a lot of people to accept that a 'backmarker' could transform into a WDC overnight.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:17 pm 

The only disappointment was not to finish 6 th place which was well within his grasp.Not overtaking the slower Perez was mystifying and not how it should have turned out.But to clear he is bringing home the bacon on the points like Fanando two great professional drivers. I do detect more confidence in the Mcclaren team as the car is improved a sharp contrast from the Ferrari soul searching.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:21 pm 

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/241 ... n-practice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:45 pm 

Jenson "open" to Endurance racing? here.

Hmmm.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:12 pm 

To be honest, any WEC team would be mad to pass up the opportunity to sign him if he was seriously interested and committed. He is certainly a fast driver, but his biggest reputation is that of a smooth driver, probably the most important factor in endurance racing. If he can't put it on pole, another team mate could do that, but his smooth style over many hours would be a huge advantage, much more so than in F1.

He would be a great asset to the sport and quite possibly enjoy the racing more than the current F1 cars!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:41 pm 

Button's career in his own words ...

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/22058 ... -formula-1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:59 pm 

Well, well. Let the battle commence. Sneaky wars ahead at Mclaren. :P

I like number 14, but will be supporting #22.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:32 pm 

JB not going anywhere, 2 year deal, no brainer.

lack of respect Ron has shown prob added £3M to his salary.

but JB wouldnt deal like that, the man is a gentleman, F1 could learn a lot from that.

but business is business, fairy cakes as it it is.

Lets look sharp people, I want a quick dispersal this time.............check those corners......check those corners!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:29 pm 

JBee wrote:

but JB wouldnt deal like that, the man is a gentleman, F1 could learn a lot from that.

Pretty sure he will be take a big pay cut.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:52 pm 

BBC are now reporting Button is driving for McLaren next year, so I would say - given their wording - that it is as good as official confirmed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30328327

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:29 am 

Katie PI wrote:
JBee wrote:

Briton sees pay cut from £12m to less than £8m, while new arrival Fernando Alonso is on mighty £25m-a-year

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... again.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:59 am 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1 ... -1-4792113

Dennis, 67, has told Button he will have no excuses for failure from now on, warning darkly: “Jenson has no reason not to get the job done - none at all. “Threatening is not my style, but after our chat at Silverstone, Jenson drove one of his best races for us, and the last two races of the season were particularly strong. “Did he raise his game? I’m not saying he did, but if the answer is no, what about the other races?”

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:47 pm 

Ron Dennis is probably the most arrogant man in F1.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:54 pm 

So what are these mysterious concerns of Ron's ?

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/24180 ... -diplomacy

“The content of the conversations Jenson and I had prior to me signing the contract was preceded by a conversation which took place after the Abu Dhabi race. He was a very different person, both then and last night, and my concerns faded,” Dennis told Sky Sports News HQ. “There were very defined minuses [to re-signing Button] and we decided to address some of those issues and when I engaged with Jenson and went through those, some of them almost evaporated. “The decision is mine and Jenson’s destiny is in his own hands. He will get equality and, l hope, a race-winning car.”

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:14 pm 

Ron talks a lot, yet doesn't say anything. The man just can't help but take all the credit for anything positive to do with Mclaren. I can't believe that he thinks JB's form at Silverstone was down to his public humiliation of Button. Jenson lost his father just a few months before that race, and Ron Dennis decides that it's a good idea to publicly embarrass Jenson and put him under immense pressure right before partaking in the Silverstone GP weekend, which was probably one of the toughest moments of the season for him anyway.

I used to admire Ron Dennis an awful lot as a kid, as a young adult, and into my twenties. I respected his strength, his character, his passion and his 'stop at nothing' attitude towards winning.

Now, after 2014, I just think he's a narcissistic bully. He must be awful to work for. Imagine the stress.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:06 pm 

Top ten ... Jenson Button drives

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/187357.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:13 am 

Ron, the amateur sports psychologist ;-)

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/12/12/b ... tt-dennis/

“There was a turning point for me which was, strangely, the conversation that took place between Jenson and I after [a] race and it was in contrast to the previous month and it re-energised in me the belief that actually Jenson did want, for all the right reasons, to be in a Formula One car and really believed, and I want him to believe, that he can absolutely kick Fernando’s butt. “So if he can do that, great, or if he’s going to get close to it, great, because what we want is two drivers that can win races. And the first thing in a team is beat the team mate."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:26 am 

GoOnJenson wrote:
Now, after 2014, I just think he's a narcissistic bully. He must be awful to work for. Imagine the stress.

If you can't face the heat, get out of the kitchen.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:23 pm 

mas wrote:
Katie PI wrote:
JBee wrote:

Briton sees pay cut from £12m to less than £8m, while new arrival Fernando Alonso is on mighty £25m-a-year

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... again.html

If we remember, McLaren hired him on £5MM a year to join Lewis who was on (if memory serves) around £18MM. Of course, after he was competitive against Lewis, they pumped that way up the next year. All he has to do yet again is prove himself against the fastest men in F1...yet again.

He will do just fine I suspect. The weight limit is higher next year, he has had time to process losing his father, and Pomodrou will help get him at least a much better handling car than he's had the past two years. Roll on 2015 for JB....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:42 pm 

Jenson also appear to have got to grips with his historical qualifying and tyre heating issues which can make him look worse than he really is. I don't expect him to beat Alonso just to keep him honest and get loads of WCC points together for McLaren if the car is any good. Staying close to Alonso will enhance his reputation enough as not many expect it. I finally understand what Ron's methodology was with regards to Button, he wants him to believe and race like he is the fastest guy in the world even if we all know he is not. Interesting psychology on tapping more potential, let's see if it works next year :).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:28 pm 

mas wrote:
J... I finally understand what Ron's methodology was with regards to Button, he wants him to believe and race like he is the fastest guy in the world even if we all know he is not. Interesting psychology on tapping more potential, let's see if it works next year :).

I think that you do JB a small dis-service. In a well-sorted car, on the right day, he HAS been untouchable at times. Even against Lewis in the same car. Even in the dry (I was THERE for Melbourne 2012!). His super smooth style is the epitome of perfect driving, textbook. If you wanted to create a DVD on "how to drive" and "what's the perfect line through the corner", you would get JB to film it. That's why he can't warm his tyres for quali laps, and usually qualifies at less than his race pace. That's why he had problems with certain compounds from Pirelli - more than anyone else.

But in the right car, that perfect line is untouchable. I think that in the 2010-2013 exhaust-blown diffuser Red Bulls, JB would have been nearly as competitive as Seb, if not equal.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:14 pm 

You don't need to convert me to his style, I prefer to drive that way on an open road so I know how effortless and easy it can be to get around quickly in that fashion with a little bit of forward thinking and planning in your bend-taking maintaining maximum momentum with minimal braking. However those with a more aggressive deceleration/acceleration approach around apexes of bends (i.e. stop/point/squirt) can be faster at times and his time in F1 over 15 years tend to support that. I am not sure if Button would have been as good in the EBD Red Bull as Vettel used power oversteer with it to get through bends fast and he prefers a balanced car.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:50 am 

futureshock999 wrote:
mas wrote:
J... I finally understand what Ron's methodology was with regards to Button, he wants him to believe and race like he is the fastest guy in the world even if we all know he is not. Interesting psychology on tapping more potential, let's see if it works next year :).

I think that you do JB a small dis-service. In a well-sorted car, on the right day, he HAS been untouchable at times. Even against Lewis in the same car. Even in the dry (I was THERE for Melbourne 2012!). His super smooth style is the epitome of perfect driving, textbook. If you wanted to create a DVD on "how to drive" and "what's the perfect line through the corner", you would get JB to film it. That's why he can't warm his tyres for quali laps, and usually qualifies at less than his race pace. That's why he had problems with certain compounds from Pirelli - more than anyone else.

But in the right car, that perfect line is untouchable. I think that in the 2010-2013 exhaust-blown diffuser Red Bulls, JB would have been nearly as competitive as Seb, if not equal.

I agree with this. If every driver had the perfect car suited to their style, Button would be almost unstoppable, however that is not F1 and why he is not the greatest. He is still a great driver though and deserves a lot more credit than he deserves.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:56 am 

Lupin wrote:
futureshock999 wrote:
mas wrote:

I agree with this. If every driver had the perfect car suited to their style, Button would be almost unstoppable, however that is not F1 and why he is not the greatest. He is still a great driver though and deserves a lot more credit than he deserves.

I wouldn't disagree but its something we also hear from Kimi fans and this year from Vettel fans

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:29 am 

pokerman wrote:
Lupin wrote:
futureshock999 wrote:
mas wrote:

I wouldn't disagree but its something we also hear from Kimi fans and this year from Vettel fans

There should be no doubt about Vettel and I don't know why there is. He has won four world championships and won a race in a Torro Rosso... from pole. The kid is a machine, he's had a bad year. It happens.

Kimi on the other hand is also great, its his motivation that seems to lack especially if he loses interest. This is an opinion of course

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:17 pm 

Lupin wrote:
There should be no doubt about Vettel and I don't know why there is. He has won four world championships and won a race in a Torro Rosso... from pole. The kid is a machine, he's had a bad year. It happens.

Kimi on the other hand is also great, its his motivation that seems to lack especially if he loses interest. This is an opinion of course

There's doubt about Vettel because all he has really proven is that he is much better than Webber, and not as good as Ricciardo. I think the likes of Alonso, Hamilton, Button, Kimi and Rosberg could have won four titles alongside Webber in the RBR.
We can't be sure that 2014 was a bad year for Seb - maybe Ricciardo could've beaten him with the EBD cars as well. 2015 will tell us a lot because it'll be the first time he'll be comparable (albeit indirectly) to Alonso.

mas wrote:

I'd say these are more career highlights than best drives.
Canada '11, Hungary '06, Monaco '09, Japan '11 and Australia '12 would remain in my top ten. The others could be replaced with...

USA 2003 (Button went for inters early, took the lead and was set for a podium in the midfield BAR - but his engine failed)
Germany 2004 (13th to 2nd, including an incredible duel with Alonso, all with a broken visor. Easily a top 3 drive of his career)
Belgium 2005 (Jenson conserved his inters as they wore down to a slick state - he flew through the field to take a podium)
Brazil 2006 (After a traction control problem in quali, Jenson came through the field. Made a great pass on Kimi and almost beat Alonso to P2)
Italy 2010 (Held off Alonso with a setup that left him with a race pace disadvantage. Would've won without a slow-ish pit stop)
Belgium 2012 (Alongside Monaco 2009, the most dominant victory of Jenson's career)
Malaysia 2013 (Had that dog of a car in contention for a podium until the botched pit-stop)
Britain 2014 (Almost finished on the podium at a high-downforce track that was a big weakness for the MP4-29)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:16 pm 

benmc, thanks for your descriptive additions. It is pretty amazing really how long he has been dicing with Alonso across so many different teams and the story continues next year in the same team, can't wait to see how probably the most sensible fast drivers on the grid combine and compete.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:21 am 

Does anyone think Jenson would make a good replacement for Bernie eventually after both retire from their current jobs? Maybe a couple of people in between the two...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:17 am 

No Jenson could not replace Bernie.

Bernie exists in a world of sleeze, back handed deals, bribery and corruption. He has weaved such a complicated web of deals within F1 that the owners find it near impossible to replace him and you can tell they really want to.

Jenson could never sink to the depths of humanity required to replace Ecclestone.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:21 pm 

mas wrote:

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/22058 ... la-1-races

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:15 pm 

With Fernando Alonso's arrival, Jenson has a great opportunity of beating 3 different World Champions in the same team at least one season while they have that title to their name. I don't know if some other champion/or driver accomplished this feat before since 1950.

If he can do it one day, he will gain the Legendary status after having been seen as a "journeyman" for many years.