planetf1.com

It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 10:53 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:20 pm 

mas wrote:

Belgium 2012 as #2? Seriously? Are they having a laugh? He obviously lucked into the better aero configuration so he took an easy pole. I'm saying he lucked into it because Friday was wet and they couldn't test the low/high downforce packages to evaluate them so they gave one to Jenson and the other to Hamilton. The article says that Jenson picked the low downforce package but I believe the team said that it was their decision hence why Lewis was unhappy with them (and tweeted the telemetry). Not only that but he was unchallenged on Sunday after AirGrosjean made its most notable appearance and took out himself, Hamilton, Alonso, Perez and Koba + Maldonado did a Maldonado meaning that from the top9 there were only 3 guys left standing after T1 (Jenson, Webber and Kimi). Seb started P11 and actually lost positions after the crash. From then on there was absolutely no one to challenge him. I'd say that any of the drives in that list are better from Belgium 2012.

Personally, I feel that Canada, Hungary, Japan ('11) and Interlagos ('09) are all better candidates for JB's best drive and the decision to give it to Britain 2014 was influenced by the fact that JB never has scored a podium on Silverstone and 'Pink for Papa'. But still a solid list, nevertheless

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:57 pm 

That's not how I remember Belgium 2012. Hamilton was not interested in the low downforce package from the beginning of practice and then only started his train of excuses once Button showed him up using it.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102137

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:27 pm 

Well he says

Quote:
"It was a disaster for me, but we are still in the top 10 so it is damage limitation for me. It was literally all down to the rear wing," Hamilton said.

"I was told the difference in wings was not so great, so it is definitely a surprise. I was told that in qualifying my wing would be quicker but for some reason it wasn't.

But even if JB "outsmarted" him and even studying all the WT data to make his decision it still doesn't make it his 2nd best race ever. Essentially he had the best car, few of his most serious contenders (including the Saubers which were quite strong on the low-downforce tracks. Perez in Italy incredibly quick and KK and him qualified in the top4 in Belgium) were taken out in T1, Vettel&Webber were 10 positions behind and Kimi didn't have the car to match him. Essentially Button in Belgium was a little less dominant version of Rosberg in Australia 2014 for example.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:57 am 

Looks like congrats are in order!
Jenson tied the knot:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30647574

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:45 pm 

Need4Naiim wrote:

If he can do it one day, he will gain the Legendary status after having been seen as a "journeyman" for many years.

"Journeyman"???????????????

what planet are you on Mr Willis? The Oxford dictionary defines the term as "A worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding". which would put him on a par with Mike Hawthorn, Phil Hill, John Surtees, Mario Andretti, Keke Rosberg, Alan Jones, Damon and Nigel to name but a few, all of whom won the WDC once (to date).

You really need to wake up and smell the coffee with that comment man.

Lets look sharp people, I want a quick dispersal this time.............check those corners......check those corners!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:15 pm 

Jenson can tie the record for the most successful driver in Australian GP with the Schumi if he can win the event for the fourth time.

I have high hopes for Jenson for this opening race. Jens can pull it off against all odds

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:39 pm 

Need4Naiim wrote:
Jenson can tie the record for the most successful driver in Australian GP with the Schumi if he can win the event for the fourth time.

I have high hopes for Jenson for this opening race. Jens can pull it off against all odds

I don't think Button can beat an engine that doesn't want to do the entire race somehow.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:21 pm 

Jenson brings home the first bacon for McLaren Honda Mk II. He certainly is more than holding his own against Alonso as he did against Magnussen, Perez, Hamilton, Barrichello, Sato, Villeneuve. Heh, maybe just one day he will get the true respect his long distinguished career in F1 deserves ;-).

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/129 ... ne-mclaren

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:51 pm 

mas wrote:
Jenson brings home the first bacon for McLaren Honda Mk II. He certainly is more than holding his own against Alonso as he did against Magnussen, Perez, Hamilton, Barrichello, Sato, Villeneuve. Heh, maybe just one day he will get the true respect his long distinguished career in F1 deserves ;-).

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/129 ... ne-mclaren

Admittedly, it was mainly Alonso's car that let him down in q2 and the race, but JB did seem to have the edge all weekend.

But I can almost guarantee that if he finishes above Alonso this year, all his detractors will simply put it down to car all season :nod:

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:46 am 

Why is Button so underrated? He beat Lewis and now he's beating Alonso. Yet, team bosses never rate him as highly as the other 2, or even Kimi for that matter.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:52 pm 

trento wrote:
Why is Button so underrated? He beat Lewis and now he's beating Alonso. Yet, team bosses never rate him as highly as the other 2, or even Kimi for that matter.

I think possibly because, like Kimi, he seems somewhat sensitive to the car. He also complains a lot about handling issues, which can make him seem like he's struggling all the time.

I think he's a very good and underrated driver. But overall I don't think he's as good as either Lewis or Alonso.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:47 pm 

McLaren face a huge shortfall in prize money this year and could look to cut their wage bill by binning £12m Button next year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... vings.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:31 pm 

But how much does Button bring in? He has to be one of the best publicity guys out there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:38 am 

Jenson to retire from F1 ? Maybe, say the often fictitious gossip-rag D-M ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formul ... -stay.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:39 am 

http://planetf1.com/news/button-set-to-quit-f1/

i wouldn't be surprised... it can hardly be fun to drive that car - although the radio messages this year were superb... 'd be sad to see this personality leave, but he'd have my support for the decision...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:41 am 

Jenson sounds happy as he gets to stay next year at McLaren, for the originally agreed £12m I assume ...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/9 ... n-for-2016

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:51 pm 

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team/je ... -for-2016/

McLaren-Honda is happy to confirm that Jenson Button will race for the team in 2016.

Ron Dennis (Chairman & Chief Executive Officer) said:

“Jenson and I have been discussing his plans in private for the past few weeks, and the fact that our talks have led to today’s announcement is very pleasing to both of us and will delight and motivate all at McLaren-Honda.

“As I have made clear whenever I have been asked about the subject, Jenson’s current contract is of two years’ duration [2015 and 2016]. There is a ‘terminate after year one’ option that McLaren could have triggered if we had wished to do so, but, once it became clear from my many conversations with Jenson that he remained as enthusiastic and as committed and as focused as ever, that option immediately became an irrelevance. That being the case, Jenson will race for McLaren-Honda next year, under the terms and conditions as set out in the two-year contract that both parties entered into a year ago.

“As I say, I am extremely pleased. Jenson is the most experienced driver currently racing in Formula 1, and next season he is due to become only the third driver [after Rubens Barrichello and Michael Schumacher] in Formula 1 history to pass the milestone of 300 Grands Prix. But, although that wealth of experience makes him a massively valuable asset to our team, hugely expert in all aspects of the 21st-century Formula 1 driver’s craft, he is also supremely fit and as super-fast as ever.”

Jenson Button said:

“Over the past month or so I have done quite a lot of thinking, and it is no secret that I was at one point in two minds about my future.

“But I have been a McLaren driver for six seasons now [2010-2015], and in that time I have got to know Ron very well. He and I have had some very good chats these past few weeks, and during those chats it has become clear to me that Ron is both utterly determined and uniquely equipped to lead our team through its current difficulties to great successes in the future. That gives me great confidence, and it is for that reason that, together, he and I have decided to continue our partnership; and, as soon as I had made that decision, straight away I realised it was the correct one.

“Okay, granted, this year has not been an easy one for us, but we know what we need to do to improve things and, in collaboration with Honda, we will work extremely hard over the next weeks and months in order to make sure that 2016 will be a much better season than 2015 has been.

“I can’t wait!”

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:16 pm 

Jenson splits up with Jess.. :(
http://m.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/35166310/jenson-button-splits-up-with-his-wife-jessica-michibata-after-year-of-marriage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:44 pm 

Mr-E wrote:

Jaysus

FA#14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:57 pm 

Give me a call Jess. I'm the perfect rebound guy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:22 pm 

'Jenson and Jessica did not have any financial arrangement before their marriage, ' a source told the publication.

http://ecommerce-journal.com/2015/12/fo ... -one-year/

there's a lesson there - I'm sure it won't be too high up the list... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... e_divorces

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:29 pm 

Sad, sad news.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:57 pm 

Fiki wrote:
Sad, sad news.
I'll second that sentiment.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:44 am 
tootsie323 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Sad, sad news.

Sad indeed, I assume you mean the lack of financial arrangement.

Poor JB just got completely screwed. They've been together 5/6 years and after 11 months of marriage it is over. So it must've hit the rocks at least 2-3 months ago after 8 months of marriage. She played him, you know exactly what you are signed into after 5 years in a relationship, she rode it out to get half his fortune and a life of doing of comfort/ease.

At least still has half of his multi millions with the best job in the world. Always good to have something to fall back on :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:30 am 

Nope - I mean, sad news about the split. They looked a good pair.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:06 am 

lamo wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Sad, sad news.

Poor JB just got completely screwed. They've been together 5/6 years and after 11 months of marriage it is over. So it must've hit the rocks at least 2-3 months ago after 8 months of marriage. She played him, you know exactly what you are signed into after 5 years in a relationship, she rode it out to get half his fortune and a life of doing of comfort/ease.

At least still has half of his multi millions with the best job in the world. Always good to have something to fall back on :lol:

I think judgement should be reserved before anyone calls her a gold digger.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:40 am 

tootsie323 wrote:
Nope - I mean, sad news about the split. They looked a good pair.
And I will second that.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:27 am 

lamo wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Sad, sad news.

I'm pretty sure Jenson or his lawyers had that covered, even if you think you are going to be married for life, is best to cover your back, specially if you are rich.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:49 pm 

Robot wrote:
lamo wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Sad, sad news.

I'm pretty sure Jenson or his lawyers had that covered, even if you think you are going to be married for life, is best to cover your back, specially if you are rich.

And I'm sure she's not terribly underpaid herself. More than likely she has more years worth of earning potential the he does as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:08 am 

RaggedMan wrote:
Robot wrote:
lamo wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Sad, sad news.

And I'm sure she's not terribly underpaid herself. More than likely she has more years worth of earning potential the he does as well.

It did say that it was amicable, so it may well be the case the they just said 'you take what's yours, I'll take what's mine and anything we both have we'll just split down the middle'

Everyone always thinks the worst of women from divorces.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:42 pm 

Hypothetically if JB has a straight choice between Williams and McLaren, which would you go for?

To me, as daft as it might sound, I think it's a no brainier to stay at McLaren. Why, because there's no point in him being on the grid unless he has a chance to win races and I can't see Williams offering that. I can't see them being anything better than the 4th best team next season, fighting over 6th-10th in most races.

McLaren could well be dreadful. On the other hand, the last time we had a big rule change, whilst Jenson was driving an uncompetitive Honda, was 2008 and the rest, as they say, is history. Ferrari got it right last season having been nowhere in 2014, I'd gamble on McLaren pulling off something similar.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:23 pm 

I think it's nearing career end for Button.

I like the guy a lot, he is still competitive, but.... It's harder and harder to justify investing in Button as a driver, despite a still being good - but.... he's at the point in his career where he isn't going to improve, and it will be a slow decline in ability. The next generation of drivers are better still, and there are at least a handful of guys who are potentially better than Button, deserving a seat.

I think it's time for Button, Massa and indeed Raikkonen (although Ferrari work differently from most teams, clearly keeping Raikkonen on until somebody becomes

Multiple wins, and a WDC over 16yrs is a good F1 career.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:25 pm 

I think it's nearing career end for Button.

I like the guy a lot, he is still competitive, but.... It's harder and harder to justify investing in Button as a driver, despite a still being good - but.... he's at the point in his career where he isn't going to improve, and it will be a slow decline in ability. The next generation of drivers are better still, and there are at least a handful of guys who are potentially better than Button, deserving a seat.

I think it's time for Button, Massa and indeed Raikkonen (although Ferrari work differently from most teams, clearly keeping Raikkonen on until somebody becomes

Multiple wins, and a WDC over 16yrs is a good F1 career.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:29 pm 

Dont know about career end, but I think he is disillusioned with McLaren.

He seems to like Honda, and they like him, so if Honda take another team I would think he would have their support to move.
He is still a good option to most teams, but few he would want to go to now that do not have signed drivers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:40 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
Hypothetically if JB has a straight choice between Williams and McLaren, which would you go for?

To me, as daft as it might sound, I think it's a no brainier to stay at McLaren. Why, because there's no point in him being on the grid unless he has a chance to win races and I can't see Williams offering that. I can't see them being anything better than the 4th best team next season, fighting over 6th-10th in most races.

McLaren could well be dreadful. On the other hand, the last time we had a big rule change, whilst Jenson was driving an uncompetitive Honda, was 2008 and the rest, as they say, is history. Ferrari got it right last season having been nowhere in 2014, I'd gamble on McLaren pulling off something similar.

I think the better team will be McLaren and maybe that's why he hasn't signed for Williams?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 9th

Win: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podium: 2nd Barcelona 2018 and Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:55 pm 

Banana Man wrote:

If McLaren want him, I'd stay, if they're going to dick him around like last year - I'd take the Williams offer.

McLaren are going to decide after the summer break, so hopefully, Williams will still be an option by then should they decide to not re-sign. Hopefully Ron won't make him wait too long deciding.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:28 pm 

Renault is the place to go if you're Jenson IMO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:32 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Renault is the place to go if you're Jenson IMO

Strangely he doesn't seem to be in the picture there though?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 9th

Win: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podium: 2nd Barcelona 2018 and Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:36 am 

Jenson has taken to Super GT well coming 2nd in the first race as well as topping the in season test.

https://www.motorsport.com/supergt/news ... t-1026936/
https://www.motorsport.com/supergt/news ... s-1027240/
https://www.motorsport.com/supergt/news ... a-1024183/
https://www.motorsport.com/supergt/news ... d-1023319/
https://www.motorsport.com/supergt/news ... n-1022681/