planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:54 pm 

Wow. I was going to bump this tread earlier but didn`t like the look of all those cobwebs :uhoh:

Funny the number of people who said they had a feeling about Button running up to qually in the predictions thread.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:55 pm 

I am so happy for Jenson, fantastic qualifying and his first pole since Monaco 2009, an awful long time to wait for a pole position in competitive cars since 2010. Hopefully this will reignite Jensons 2012 season and his potential challenge for the WDC this year.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:56 pm 

Great job by Jenson today, hopefully he can keep up this form.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:28 pm 

Get in Jenson more like that please 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:02 pm 

I hope he can have a repeat performance at Monza, 2nd for the previous 3 years so he is surely due a win at a track that he obviously likes and goes well at.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:04 pm 

Championship over now, hope he gets a couple of more race wins before seasons end.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:35 pm 

What rotten luck today. I couldn't believe what I was watching. It's game over for the title now unless something crazy happens. I still expect him to be extremely strong for the remainder of the season though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:36 pm 

Yeah real shame about today.

He was looking very good.

Whilst I'm both a LH and JB fan, I'm kinda hoping Lewis does leave and they get a young gun in. They'd probably taylor the car around Button and I'd really like to see him have a season where he can dial in the setup he needs every race. I think they're close and it's looking good for next season. The next few races will show us that.

Also, even though I think Mclaren is technically the best place for Lewis, he just doesn't seem happy. Maybe it would do him good to have a change.

Either way I'm just happy to see both the Mclaren guys being on form and competing well.

I think Button can say bye bye to this year, unfortunately it's unlikely to happen. I think he should just keep doing his best and keep learning about the car. Next year isn't that far away.

Ben

ps,

first post on here, hi!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:30 pm 

GoOnJenson wrote:
What rotten luck today. I couldn't believe what I was watching. It's game over for the title now unless something crazy happens. I still expect him to be extremely strong for the remainder of the season though.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:20 am 

Decent Q, but not going to a podium sadly.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:25 am 

kingjamie wrote:
Decent Q, but not going to a podium sadly.

i am really disappointed by that penalty, starting 3rd he would have been on for at least a podium

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:09 pm 

Come on get a good start!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:13 pm 

Great Q by JB!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:15 pm 

Wooooooohoooooooooo without Lewis the brilliant qualifier in the other McLaren it'd be pole. Praying for a great start and a good chance at the win.. Perhaps Whitmarsh will make Lewis's car have a mechanical failure lol

The ham fans would go bonkers if they saw this post lol

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:18 pm 

I honestly thought he could pip Lewis after Q3, he didn't get his best S3 time as he was constantly fast there and Lewis was usually only faster in S2.

0.055s is not much though and could win it tomorrow still with a good start and his pace on the hard was good all weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:19 pm 

Lewis and Jenson showing why they are the best team pairing on the grid. Their talent was worthy of so much more success than they ended up with.

Hopefully the order is reversed tomorrow though!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:19 pm 

Perhaps Martin can break the seal on LH's gearbox lol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:24 pm 

benmc wrote:
Lewis and Jenson showing why they are the best team pairing on the grid. Their talent was worthy of so much more success than they ended up with.

Hopefully the order is reversed tomorrow though!

:thumbup:

Although i have to admit, having two roosters in the same nest with a car not dominant can backfire.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:38 pm 

It seems to me that drivers that have a smooth driving style have suffered with current 2012 tyre compounds, primarily struggling to get heat into tyres to get them up to the ideal operating window.

I watched Practice 1 yesterday where the teams got to try out the 2013 compounds, both Jenson and Lewis were very quick on them but I noticed Lewis said over the team radio that they were overheating.

Hopefully next year the tyre compounds are more suited to smooth drivers as I honestly believe the reason Jenson has struggled with this years car so much was mainly down to the rubber underneath it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:24 pm 

Dam_Noir wrote:
It seems to me that drivers that have a smooth driving style have suffered with current 2012 tyre compounds, primarily struggling to get heat into tyres to get them up to the ideal operating window.

I watched Practice 1 yesterday where the teams got to try out the 2013 compounds, both Jenson and Lewis were very quick on them but I noticed Lewis said over the team radio that they were overheating.

Hopefully next year the tyre compounds are more suited to smooth drivers as I honestly believe the reason Jenson has struggled with this years car so much was mainly down to the rubber underneath it.

Noticed that, the scary or good thing depending on what fence you sit on, Hembry said yesterdays tyres were using the current hard compound but the new carcass. But Pirelli have already said the tyres are going to be softer next year.

Earlier in the year Pirelli said that JB had the biggest (or one of the biggest)difference in temp between axles. He couldn't get both ends of thecar to heat evenly.

So in theory they should help him, but with the pirellis who knows.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:26 pm 

Just noticed this in the thread "who's wet and who's dry"

Jomox wrote:
Hamilton more wet, Button more dry.

Hulk more wet, Di Resta more dry.

Alonso very Wet.

What odds will you give me he's said the mclaren set up that way to explain the small margin between Lewis and JB?!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:31 pm 

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Wooooooohoooooooooo without Lewis the brilliant qualifier in the other McLaren it'd be pole. Praying for a great start and a good chance at the win.. Perhaps Whitmarsh will make Lewis's car have a mechanical failure lol

The ham fans would go bonkers if they saw this post lol

Nah I closed my eyes, JB did good today and I am hoping for a 1-2 in the race in the order they qualified :-P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:45 pm 

5 poles this year for Jenson if he had a slower team mate, does not read to bad going into next year for Mclaren although a bit hot and cold with the other qualifying sessions.

Dry vs Wet setup I believe most cars are dry as you can change most of the setting provided the race looks like it will be wet they will announce a change in conditions and most changes can be made.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:01 pm 

Did Mclaren use team orders to keep Jenson behind Lewis in Brazil 2010 for the WDC? Jenson ended 0.9 behind Lewis having started 7 places lower. Jenson also easily outperfomed Lewis here last year. I can see Jenson beating Lewis tomorrow is a good track for Jenson and a poor one for Lewis.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:05 pm 

lamo wrote:
Did Mclaren use team orders to keep Jenson behind Lewis in Brazil 2010 for the WDC? Jenson ended 0.9 behind Lewis having started 7 places lower. Jenson also easily outperfomed Lewis here last year. I can see Jenson beating Lewis tomorrow is a good track for Jenson and a poor one for Lewis.

I dont remember team orders but yes this has got to be one of Lewis's unsuccessful tracks, his best finish here so far has been 3rd in 2009.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:09 pm 

chinki wrote:
lamo wrote:

I dont remember team orders but yes this has got to be one of Lewis's unsuccessful tracks, his best finish here so far has been 3rd in 2009.

Yeah but a car issue 2007 and the rain / championship fight 2008 can cause the results to not reflect how mighty he is around the track

(Lewis that is)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:18 pm 

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
chinki wrote:
lamo wrote:

Yeah but a car issue 2007 and the rain / championship fight 2008 can cause the results to not reflect how mighty he is around the track

(Lewis that is)

I surely wont complain if he is mighty tomorrow :nod: Which reminds me, if Macca finish 1-2 tomorrow, they will wrap up 2nd in the constructors - so here is hoping to that :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:01 pm 

Great drive. Well deserved. :thumbup:

Sad to see Hulk take out Lewis, McLaren could have had 2nd in the constructors but for that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:06 pm 

Bit unlucky with the SC, bit lucky with Lewis, Hulk but I'll take it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:09 pm 

kingjamie wrote:

I think he had that in the bag after the first 30 laps. very unlucky with SC

Even when in 3rd with these conditions he could have taken it with Hulkenberg battling with Lewis.

I wish Lewis and Hulkenberg were on the Podium though

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:10 pm 

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
kingjamie wrote:

Even when in 3rd with these conditions he could have taken it with Hulkenberg battling with Lewis.

Not so sure, Lewis overtook him and built a 6 second lead. He lost the race in that stint.
But to be fair he was robbed by the SC and actually overtook Lewis on track which was impressive.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:15 pm 

lamo wrote:
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
kingjamie wrote:

Not so sure, Lewis overtook him and built a 6 second lead. He lost the race in that stint.
But to be fair he was robbed by the SC and actually overtook Lewis on track which was impressive.

Yeah, he deserves that fully.

I said he COULD have overtaken Hamilton and Hulkenberg. i wouldn't know what would have happened. tyres going off and rain coming, so it was on the table. (hulk had a 3 second advantage to Lewis at one point)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:22 pm 

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
lamo wrote:
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
kingjamie wrote:

Yeah, he deserves that fully.

I said he COULD have overtaken Hamilton and Hulkenberg. i wouldn't know what would have happened. tyres going off and rain coming, so it was on the table. (hulk had a 3 second advantage to Lewis at one point)

We would never know and JB does deserve this win coz the conditions were not easy and he made the brave call to stick to slicks in the first half and made it work. Lewis can leave with his head held high and he had an impressive performance too. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:11 pm 

afterworks wrote:
Yeah real shame about today.

He was looking very good.

Whilst I'm both a LH and JB fan, I'm kinda hoping Lewis does leave and they get a young gun in. They'd probably taylor the car around Button and I'd really like to see him have a season where he can dial in the setup he needs every race. I think they're close and it's looking good for next season. The next few races will show us that.

Also, even though I think Mclaren is technically the best place for Lewis, he just doesn't seem happy. Maybe it would do him good to have a change.

Either way I'm just happy to see both the Mclaren guys being on form and competing well.

I think Button can say bye bye to this year, unfortunately it's unlikely to happen. I think he should just keep doing his best and keep learning about the car. Next year isn't that far away.

Ben

ps,

first post on here, hi!

Wow! Dreams do come true!

Lets look sharp people, I want a quick dispersal this time.............check those corners......check those corners!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:20 pm 

HA!

Obviously we can't take today all that seriously. The main thing to take from today aside from his time, is that he seemed pretty happy with the care and its relationship compared to the sim. It's his team this year while Perez gets used to Mclaren life, so he's got it all at his feet.

Melbourne just needs to hurry up!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:38 pm 

afterworks wrote:
HA!

Obviously we can't take today all that seriously. The main thing to take from today aside from his time, is that he seemed pretty happy with the care and its relationship compared to the sim. It's his team this year while Perez gets used to Mclaren life, so he's got it all at his feet.

Melbourne can take all the time it wants! wont change the result, just our eagerness to see it!

My gut feel is just as you say, hes way more comfortable this year than any other in a McLaren, even to the extent of playing it down (did you see his interview after day 1 on the BBC!!!!!.........but remember, its just testing, you cant read ANYTHING into it! :nod: ;)

Lets look sharp people, I want a quick dispersal this time.............check those corners......check those corners!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:48 pm 

JBee wrote:
afterworks wrote:
HA!

Melbourne can take all the time it wants! wont change the result, just our eagerness to see it!

My gut feel is just as you say, hes way more comfortable this year than any other in a McLaren, even to the extent of playing it down (did you see his interview after day 1 on the BBC!!!!!.........but remember, its just testing, you cant read ANYTHING into it! :nod: ;)

Hmm i wonder why?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:02 pm 

MclarenBullet wrote:
JBee wrote:
afterworks wrote:
HA!

Hmm i wonder why?

fact 1 - with the exception of Alonso and the "German" no one else has "Team Leader" written all over them, clearly the car will be developed to match his style and weve all seen what occurs when that takes place.
fact 2 (ok, maybe its not a fact persay!) - even with the best imagination in the world, nobody yet knows what made Lewis jump ship. It wasnt money and it certainly wasn't an evolutionary car for 2013. SO, I think what JB did over the last 3 years added to the pressure for him to secure a no 1 drive (which wasn't gonna happen at McLaren) to allow a car to be developed for him, which means he needs to beat the front nose off Nico this season and not just by a few points, it will need a big
fact 3 - re read fact 1.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:33 pm 

That car is FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like all the stars could align for Mr. Button this year with a great car and no Hamilton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:43 pm 

Meh...I don't know, I'm a Button fan myself, but a car which is only fast, and nothing else, doesn't cut it.

Let's not forget that the 2012 McLaren was in itself quite fast. 7 wins, some other potential wins thrown in the litter bin due to all kinds of faults you can think of -but as far as I remember that car was really Alpha dog in the first 5-6 races of the season. It took a nearly incredible streak of crew goof-ups, bad set-up choices, Maldonado+Grosjean, bad morale (Button included) and mechanical failures to actually miss the WCC. I still believe that it was more Mclaren that lost the WCC, rather than RBR wining it.

It's reliability and consistency which they need to work on this year. And yes, I agree completely that this is Button's best shot at his second WDC, he may not get such a front-row opportunity in the next years. With the Hamilton factor out of the way, it is clear that Button's breathing on all his lungs now.