planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:30 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:27 pm 

After doing a Google search and then pressing enter a couple of times until the searches stopped giving me different numbers, here is the number of results fed back for each champion:

1. Lewis Hamilton (~60,700,000 results)
2. Kimi Raikkonen (~41,800,000 results)
3. Fernando Alonso (~29,800,000 results)
4. Michael Schumacher (~29,000,000 results)
5. Jenson Button (~25,500,000 results)
6. Sebastian Vettel (~19,500,000 results)

Hamilton is smashing the search engine results, with a surprise last place for Vettel the 2 time champion. Clearly he needs to fall off a boat drunk or date a famous singer if he wishes to close the gap to the leaders.

More importantly, what is the purpose of this other than a little bit of "fun"?... Well I have this massive assignment to complete for tomorrow but procrastinating feels waaay better!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:31 pm 

Interesting. Expected Schumacher to top the list, if I must be honest.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:36 pm 

There are loads of results that may turn up for "Lewis Hamilton" that are not f1 related. e.g. loads of places called Hamilton
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton (they need a Lewis in the web page as well obviously but that is likely)

Meanwhile 'Vettel' and 'Schumacher' are pretty exclusive to Seb and Michael themselves

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:50 pm 

Search "Lewis Hamilton" in quotation marks and you'll get about 21 million results, not 60 million.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:53 pm 

Interesting it seems to reduce most searches down I believe Alonso may be at the top of the list.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:33 pm 

When you write Kimi Raikkonen, instead of Kimi Räikkönen, which is how his name is written btw, it discards some of the results. Not that this whole thing's important, just pointing it out...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:46 pm 

froze wrote:
When you write Kimi Raikkonen, instead of Kimi Räikkönen, which is how his name is written btw, it discards some of the results. Not that this whole thing's important, just pointing it out...

While on the subject of Kimi's name, isn't his proper name Kimi-Matias Räikkönen?
So, like JEV, in the standings and, well everything, we should be calling him Kimi-Matias, and not just Kimi?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:51 pm 

xECKSx58 wrote:
froze wrote:

While on the subject of Kimi's name, isn't his proper name Kimi-Matias Räikkönen?
So, like JEV, in the standings and, well everything, we should be calling him Kimi-Matias, and not just Kimi?

Well that's with his middle name included, but nobody rarely uses full names when they speak of people. Fernando Alonso Diaz, Jenson Alexander Lyons Button, Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton. I only just noticed that Vettel and MS don't have any middle names. Maybe it's a German thing? Because out of the current German drivers only Nico Erik Rosberg has, but he also has Finnish father.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:14 pm 

nicole scherzinger has 27M results
and the even more worthless kim kardashian 143M

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:24 pm 

You guys have obviously not heard of Googlefight.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:37 pm 

I googled this Kim Kardashian person, she's hot but who the hell IS she?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:39 pm 

Anus McSphincter got 1.2 million

Watch out Lewis, he's right on your tail... :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:45 pm 

froze wrote:
xECKSx58 wrote:
froze wrote:

Well that's with his middle name included, but nobody rarely uses full names when they speak of people. Fernando Alonso Diaz, Jenson Alexander Lyons Button, Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton. I only just noticed that Vettel and MS don't have any middle names. Maybe it's a German thing? Because out of the current German drivers only Nico Erik Rosberg has, but he also has Finnish father.

Isn't it a double barrelled first name, not a middle name? Just like JEV as mentioned above. I think the reason we don't use it, to be honest, is because it's a bit of a mouthful.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:49 pm 

Believe it or not Hamilton actually has the biggest fan base in F1. Remember these forums only count for a very very small percentage of the fans.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:56 pm 

Just done myself.

170 million results without quotation marks
14.3 million results with quotation marks

Also put my full name (all four names)
2.2 million hits without quotation marks
The best till last.... 0 results with quotation marks. How is that possible with the previous results?!?!? Clearly I'm not famous then.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:14 pm 

AycheAyeEmm wrote:
froze wrote:
xECKSx58 wrote:
froze wrote:

Isn't it a double barrelled first name, not a middle name? Just like JEV as mentioned above. I think the reason we don't use it, to be honest, is because it's a bit of a mouthful.

Yeah, that's what I was asking. Because of the hyphen I thought it was 1 name

Quote:

I think it is a German thing, because my Grandfather didn't have a middle name (parents were German)
And my mom doesn't have a middle name (grandparents were German)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:17 pm 

xECKSx58 wrote:
AycheAyeEmm wrote:
froze wrote:
xECKSx58 wrote:
froze wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was asking. Because of the hyphen I thought it was 1 name

Quote:

I think it is a German thing, because my Grandfather didn't have a middle name (parents were German)
And my mom doesn't have a middle name (grandparents were German)

Actually I'm not sure. You're probably right though. Still I've never seen media use his full name like that.