planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:40 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Anonymous Custard
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:15 pm 

So Jerome didn't show especially strongly all weekend save for FP2, I'm sure the KERS failure in the race didn't help but he still ended up 25 seconds behind the pack that were battling for 10th.

What do we make of his performance? It wasn't as bad as Badoer in 2009/Chandhok in 2011 but when you have the likes of Kobayashi in 2009 come in and make such an impression or even Senna last year score a point in his second race and qualify in the top 10 in his first, it didn't seem that impressive. Shame, I do like the guy.

Post subject: Re: Anonymous Custard
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:16 pm 

The cars and drivers are so close at the moment that he didn't stand a chance of getting points, even without kers failing. Not much to be learned unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:24 pm 

Pretty poor, he only beat the 3 backmarker teams. I don't think we'll be seeing him back in an F1 car any time soon.

I wasn't aware of the KERS failure in the race but even so his pace in practice and qualifying was nothing to shout about.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:25 pm 

He was thrown into a mid-season race in a car that he's never driven before. It was pretty expectable.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:26 pm 

Volantary wrote:
So Jerome didn't show especially strongly all weekend save for FP2, I'm sure the KERS failure in the race didn't help but he still ended up 25 seconds behind the pack that were battling for 10th.

What do we make of his performance? It wasn't as bad as Badoer in 2009/Chandhok in 2011 but when you have the likes of Kobayashi in 2009 come in and make such an impression or even Senna last year score a point in his second race and qualify in the top 10 in his first, it didn't seem that impressive. Shame, I do like the guy.

You cant say nothing about Jerome because Kers makes a huge difference in defending and attacking.

Resta last weekend suffered Kers failure and went backwards so quick he might as well have crashed in to the lap 1 pack.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:26 pm 

We have seen worse from drivers having to jump into an F1 car at short notice, such as from Chandhok, Fisichella and Badoer.

But we have also seen better, such as from De La Rosa at Sauber last year, Christian Klein at HRT in 2010 and Alguersuari at Toro Rosso in 2009.

Nico Hulkenburg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:28 pm 

We have to consider that this weekend was the first time Jerome was driving the E20 in dry conditions. He has only driven it before in Mugello when it was wet. Very hard for anyone to fill in like that. He didn't do any noticable mistakes apart from once going wide in Lesmo 2, if I remember correctly. His speed improved a little throughout the weekend and Boullier said on pre-race that Jerome has done what was expected and his gap to Kimi was as they expected. Still I doubt this weekend did much to his stock and I guess it's going to be hard for him to get a race seat anymore, but I hope he at least enjoyed the ride. Who wouldn't.

Last edited by froze on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:36 pm 

Volantary wrote:

The bold bit - how did you know he 'showed strongly' in FP2?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:43 pm 

I don't think he'll get a drive but at one point Kimi looked for 10th and he had Kers. Without Kers, a poor engine and his first race for the team doesn't help.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:50 pm 

People, like j man (no offense) - obviously know how to drive a modern F1 car. I don't, so I can't really comment on Jerome's performance. Since I'm no expert in any way or form.

Kimi, the iceman.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:51 pm 

He had no KERS and pretty much no experience in the car, and clearly the Lotus was not quick at all today. Gotta feel for the guy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:05 pm 

Well if testing was still allowed, he would have been quicker.

Fernando Alonso
Pastor Maldonado
Sergio Perez
Michael Schumacher
Lewis Hamilton

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:20 pm 

Shows the difference. Senna was a lot better in his 2nd race and scored a point. Senna wasn't that bad in his 1st race.and was close to the full time petrov last year

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:25 pm 

wire2004 wrote:
Shows the difference. Senna was a lot better in his 2nd race and scored a point. Senna wasn't that bad in his 1st race.and was close to the full time petrov last year

The difference was that Senna did test for LRGP in Jerez and ran in free practice session in Hungary before he got the race seat in Belgium, while Jerome's first dry running with the car was last friday. It's the little things...

Last edited by froze on Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:27 pm 

Pic has done way better against Glock than he did
I think it's going to be difficult for him

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:34 pm 

I think it was a good result for him. Consider he has not driven this car in a race, nor raced for a little while. Also he is in a Renault powered car.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:37 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm 

Not too bad considering it is his first race in a competitive car, you cant expect him to be up with Kimi because the grid is so close and he had KERS problems.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:44 pm 

He finished 45 seconds behind Raikkonen without KERS, which cost him about 20-25 seconds. That means he theoretically would finish only 20-25 seconds behind Kimi. Great result, with very little knowledge of the car and 2012 Pirellis he did respectable job and he absolutely shouldn't be ashamed of his race.

To compare it in 2009 Fisichella, with all his experience, finished full 1 minute behind Raikkonen and he was on quicker 1 stop strategy. Quite a diffrence, huh?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:03 pm 

Expecable - bright for the future.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:06 pm 

Kind of puts into perspective Grosjean's time in 2009 driving that Renault, in respect to how he compared to Alonso...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:15 pm 

Armchair Expert wrote:
He finished 45 seconds behind Raikkonen without KERS, which cost him about 20-25 seconds. That means he theoretically would finish only 20-25 seconds behind Kimi. Great result, with very little knowledge of the car and 2012 Pirellis he did respectable job and he absolutely shouldn't be ashamed of his race.

To compare it in 2009 Fisichella, with all his experience, finished full 1 minute behind Raikkonen and he was on quicker 1 stop strategy. Quite a diffrence, huh?
That's an interesting analysis you make. I couldn't help but wonder whether he would have performed a bit better had he not waived his testing time at Francorchamps on Friday for the benefit of the team - irrespective of the fact hardly any running was done then, on account of the weather. And yet, would he have benefitted from sailing out on that Friday instead of the two race drivers I wonder.

I agree he shouldn't be ashamed of his race at all, and look forward to what he has to say about his race.

Edited to say I don't understand the thread title. :blush:

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:29 pm 

I don't think its done his career any harm.., but also I can't see teams climbing over one another to give him a race seat...