planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Adelaide Grand Prix
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:09 am 

tlux wrote:
purchville wrote:
tlux wrote:
Here's a report for expanding Barbagallo raceway in perth to be up to F1 standard

http://www.dsr.wa.gov.au//assets/files/ ... ge%203.pdf

Where are the overtaking points?

I can't remember a track with so many constant radius corners... don't like it

Need more Tilke chicanes?

Nah, just more Suzuka / Spa / Adelaide-esque chicanes and hairpins and variable radius corners. Seriously, where are the overtaking points on that Barbagallo report map?

Tilke invented chicanes? News to me...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:55 am 

i think its a great idea! v8 500 race on same weekend either at day or night(this will reduce costs for night race as they dont need as much artificial light as the f1 spec night race) pretty sure it would be a huge event on the original f1 layout. one problem i can think of is different tv networks hold the rights to each catorgry, hence the reason why they hold a non- championship event in melbourne atm. safety shouldnt be a problem imo it looks just as safe as the current street circuits anyway :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:24 am 

I'm an Aussie & I loved the Adelaide circuit when F1 raced there, although the memory in the front of my mind is of Mika almost dying there, but I must admit that now I prefer Melbourne for F1 & I certainly don't want a night race for the Aussie GP. It's bad enough that they have changed the time to late afternoon when, depending on the weather, things can get a bit dicey lightwise late in the race. I think that Singapore being a night race makes it special & it should be kept as that, one of a kind. I do like Adelaide for the V8 Supercars & I love racing it in a V8 on the computer but I also like the V8 Supercars racing at Melbourne even if it is a non competitive round. I also don't think that Adelaide is now a suitable track for F1 cars. V8 Supercars have enough problems with it as it is & they have a lot more metal around the driver than F1 cars do :o :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:36 pm 

purchville wrote:
A new proposal. Total length 5km:

i like the look of this

i came into this thread to post they should race at phillip island then i saw someone already posted that and then i saw it was me so i still think that circuit would be great for formula one :d

where is the circuit you posted? and does anyone know what is happening with avalon airport? there was talk about creating a permanent formula one circuit there last year

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:58 am 

Swarth wrote:
purchville wrote:

i like the look of this

i came into this thread to post they should race at phillip island then i saw someone already posted that and then i saw it was me so i still think that circuit would be great for formula one :d

where is the circuit you posted? and does anyone know what is happening with avalon airport? there was talk about creating a permanent formula one circuit there last year

I love the circuit at Phillip Island. It is one of my favourites in V8 Supercars & MotoGP but it is way too dangerous for F1, the same with Bathurst :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:52 pm 

i would welcome 2 australian GPs a season.

start the season in Melbourne, end the season in Adelaide ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:27 am 

Sutton wrote:
i would welcome 2 australian GPs a season.

start the season in Melbourne, end the season in Adelaide ?

I like it.... a Clipsal finale as well as F1. Clipsal during the day, F1 under lights :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:16 pm 

Probably the best article I have read about the Adelaide version of the Aus GP.

http://www.grandprix.com/gt/gt00063.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:22 pm 

DrG wrote:
Swarth wrote:
purchville wrote:

i like the look of this

I love the circuit at Phillip Island. It is one of my favourites in V8 Supercars & MotoGP but it is way too dangerous for F1, the same with Bathurst :D

i am surprised by that(not bathurst that is no surprise :d ) but phillip island is close to having no barriers which formula one seems to love .....maybe it doesnt have enough concrete :d

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:41 am 

Swarth wrote:
DrG wrote:
Swarth wrote:
purchville wrote:

i like the look of this

i am surprised by that(not bathurst that is no surprise :d ) but phillip island is close to having no barriers which formula one seems to love .....maybe it doesnt have enough concrete :d

It's not the lack of barriers. I love Phillip Island because it is a really fast track & MotoGP & V8 Supercars racing there is fantastic but, having watched both for so long, & watched what happens to both at Doohans corner (the first corner & a really fast one at that), when they go off there, is/has been really frightening & F1 cars/drivers just wouldn't survive in the same cirucmstances :D

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:15 am 

DrG wrote:
Swarth wrote:
DrG wrote:
Swarth wrote:
purchville wrote:

i like the look of this

It's not the lack of barriers. I love Phillip Island because it is a really fast track & MotoGP & V8 Supercars racing there is fantastic but, having watched both for so long, & watched what happens to both at Doohans corner (the first corner & a really fast one at that), when they go off there, is/has been really frightening & F1 cars/drivers just wouldn't survive in the same cirucmstances :D

sorry for the massive bump didnt notice this post till then, the Moto GP drivers are especially brave those first few corners are terrifying enough on tv :d

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:17 am 

I love the race at Melbourne and I'd hate to see it go off the calendar. But that said, when I first started watching F1 in the early 90's Adelaide was one of my favourite circuits and so I'd love to see a return there. Ideally for me both tracks would hold a race but I cant ever see Australia being given 2 races. So my suggestion would be to have the race alternating between Melbourne and Adelaide (similar to the German GP). But I want to see the season start in Oz each year so my question is, would the climate in Adelaide be suited to hosting a race in mid March?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:59 pm 

Ascari wrote:
I love the race at Melbourne and I'd hate to see it go off the calendar. But that said, when I first started watching F1 in the early 90's Adelaide was one of my favourite circuits and so I'd love to see a return there. Ideally for me both tracks would hold a race but I cant ever see Australia being given 2 races. So my suggestion would be to have the race alternating between Melbourne and Adelaide (similar to the German GP). But I want to see the season start in Oz each year so my question is, would the climate in Adelaide be suited to hosting a race in mid March?

Climate in Adelaide and Melbourne is very similar. Adelaide is drier and a little warmer overall

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:39 pm 

I don't think climate is ever really a factor, well unless they're in a region prone to severe extreme weather.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:45 pm 

Seanie wrote:
I don't think climate is ever really a factor, well unless they're in a region prone to severe extreme weather.

Many places are prone to "extreme severe weather", including Melbourne and Adelaide...oh yeah, and Malaysia lol...and many many other places that hold F1 races. Time of year does matter

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:19 pm 

Yet we still go to Malaysia in monsoon season... They're not that bothered...

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:08 pm 

Ascari wrote:

March in Adelaide could be very hot, and a good chance of being the hottest race of the year. November is pretty warm usually too, but that doesn't mean it can't rain, as it did a few times on the GP weekend, most notably the 1991 nightmare.
I would love to see the race back in Adelaide, it was responsible for my initial interest in F1, and did amazing things for the city.The legacy can still be felt in the east end. It was a sad day when it was lost across the border. Unfortunately I don't think the circuit as it was would meet the safety standards of today, but it might not take too much to get up up to spec. Can't see it happening though.