planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:00 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: HRT F1
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:10 am 

I thought I would start a thread about this team and see what you people really think of it.

I for one think they need to drop down or something as I don't think that they can do anything in F1.

I do however think the drivers are okay though:

Narain Karthikeyan
Pedro de la Rosa

What do you guys think then?

Post subject: Re: HRT F1
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:19 am 

For there to be winners there has to be losers. The more teams the better as far as i'm concerned.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:23 am 

I have an unnatural affection for Pedro De La Rosa, or to grant him his full title - Super Pedro.

No idea why, but he is my all time favourite F1 driver.

As for HRT, they are a bit of a joke, but a joke who have beaten Virgin/Marussia both years they have competed. So, despite the fact it is musical chairs, fake food poisoning and a budget that appeared to be less than what I'd spend on lunch, they have done relatively well (is it wrong that 2nd last is considered relatively good by me?). In my head, they've become more of a pleasant joke than a disgraceful joke so I'm kinda digging them lately. However, my opinion did turn on a penny when Super Pedro signed for them. He's my boy!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:24 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
For there to be winners there has to be losers. The more teams the better as far as i'm concerned.

:thumbup: exactly, just look back at the 70's and 80's and how many people got lapped back then as well, it's just part of the sport. I'd like to see a 13th team on the grid as well and I couldn't care less if they were 4 secs of the pace.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:48 am 

I do have to say myself that I do seem to like them more than Caterham and Marussia, I just feel that if they dropped down a division they would do well for themselves, but I'm guessing that they'll get more money staying in F1!..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:00 pm 

HR Who?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:33 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
I always feel bad saying it cos the mechanics and staff must work as hard as those at the top teams, but I think HRT are a waste of space. Yes F1 needs losers, but with no HRT there would still be losers, they'd just be of a higher calibre. What's the achievement or value in beating a team like HRT?

I'll take them seriously when they actually make it to a test, sign proper drivers, have the cars ready for the first race and develop them in some way during the season.

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:36 pm 

I have a soft spot for HRT, and really hope that they can start closing the gap soon

As for their drivers.. I really dont rate KAR, and its nice to see DLR has been beating him by about 1s in qualy and free practice consistently

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:39 pm 

They know they are at the back of the grid and yet everyone works very hard on a shoestring budget. They pretty consistently make it within the 107% rule, so they have earned their right to race in F1. Good luck to them! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:43 pm 

DaveStebbins wrote:
They know they are at the back of the grid and yet everyone works very hard on a shoestring budget. They pretty consistently make it within the 107% rule, so they have earned their right to race in F1. Good luck to them! :thumbup:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

As I've said many times before, they are no worse than the backmarkers of previous years. And considerably better than some of the teams we saw in the early and mid 90s. It looks like they've finally got the right infrastructure in place to start moving forwards in the next few years.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:44 pm 

I think they are a joke team and only exist to keep people in jobs. They will never get beyond the back of the grid and will vanish in a puff of smoke one day when the precarious financial situation collapses.

I am all for new teams entering F1, but possibly they should come from existing Formula's and have to prove they can be competitive before being allowed in.

At present these and Marutia are mobile accident traps circulating the track and it is only a matter of time before someone gets seriously injured as a result of it. There have been several miraculous close calls in this vein so far.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:53 pm 

soo.... HRT F1 = Human Resource Trash, For Real? (in case no one got that last bit... mathematics joke)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:57 pm 

hrt gave starts to senna and ricciardo and now they are both in better teams and have scored points, marussia and catherham have only kept a few refugees on the grid and shuffled a few rookies around, i think they have made a mistake going for pedro and narain this year rather than trying to find some new talent, look where webber and alonso started, backmarker teams have brought through some pretty good drivers over the years, i hope they improve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:00 pm 

This so called joke of the team has beaten Marussia twice in a row.
Marussia apparently has more than twice the budget of them. Considering all this they have done excellent job. When they get beaten by all other teams twice in a row, we can visit this argument again. They are doing fine at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:06 pm 

funkymonkey wrote:
Marussia apparently has more than twice the budget of them. Considering all this they have done excellent job. When they get beaten by all other teams twice in a row, we can visit this argument again. They are doing fine at the moment.

If I stick 3 teams of pedal cars at the back of the grid one of them could have achieved the same accomplishment, even paying less for their pedal car than the others did.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:12 pm 

tentimes wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:

If I stick 3 teams of pedal cars at the back of the grid one of them could have achieved the same accomplishment, even paying less for their pedal car than the others did.

If that's the way you think, are your feelings towards Marussia and Caterham the same?

EDIT: Plus, it'd take some serious balls to drive a pedal car sharing a circuit with F1 cars. Full credit to anyone willing to try :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:15 pm 

minchy wrote:
tentimes wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:

If that's the way you think, are your feelings towards Marussia and Caterham the same?

EDIT: Plus, it'd take some serious balls to drive a pedal car sharing a circuit with F1 cars. Full credit to anyone willing to try :D

I drove a cardboard box car into McDonalds' drive through once - does that count? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:16 pm 

tentimes wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:

Then lot of people would have done that already. Its not easy, not even close as you think to be in F1. Not to mention there is a rule in place which will not allow them to race if they are too slow.
Like a smart man said, you have to finish the race first. They seem to manage that with speed deemed good enough to be in F1, and they pick up the pieces when they get opportunity. To be in that position with their budget is actually an achievement. Yes they only beat Marussia because they finished the raced which other teams didnt, but they did finish and thats what mattered in the end.

And who else is there? People who even failed to get a team and a car together at all. At least HRT managed to race 95% of the season with a car that can take to the track and run within 107%. They are actually now within 104% of the top.

BTW I would love to see paddle car trying to qualify. Would be entertaining.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:26 pm 

I hope they live long and prosper. The more teams in F1, the better. It will give more young drivers a chance to secure a drive like in the old days, and it might also introduce us to some interesting pay-drivers. Even in the golden years of F1, there were always teams like HRT or worse on the grid, heck, some didn't even set the pace to make it on the grid for the race. I personally dislike this elitist attitude in F1 and from some fans. Every great team had to start as a tiny, crappy team. Most likely HRT will amount to nothing, but they, or the team's DNA could very well end up with a championship winning car 10-15 years down the road.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:38 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
funkymonkey wrote:
tentimes wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:

Then lot of people would have done that already. Its not easy, not even close as you think to be in F1. Not to mention there is a rule in place which will not allow them to race if they are too slow.
Like a smart man said, you have to finish the race first. They seem to manage that with speed deemed good enough to be in F1, and they pick up the pieces when they get opportunity. To be in that position with their budget is actually an achievement. Yes they only beat Marussia because they finished the raced which other teams didnt, but they did finish and thats what mattered in the end.

And who else is there? People who even failed to get a team and a car together at all. At least HRT managed to race 95% of the season with a car that can take to the track and run within 107%. They are actually now within 104% of the top.

BTW I would love to see paddle car trying to qualify. Would be entertaining.

One of the reasons I don't think they deserve to be in F1 is that there were numerous better qualified teams that tendered for the HRT spot. If legend is to be believed, HRT were chosen becasue they agreed to FIA stipulations such as which engine they should buy. Essentially the reason we have this bunch of jokers instead of a proper outfit like Prodrive is that they will bow to the FIA's wishes.

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:43 pm 

There werent many other teams better qualified that HRT.
Lot of people tend to overlook that before becoming HRT, they were a successful Team Championship title winning GP2 team.
They just didnt land up in F1 out of the blue. They ran successful team in F1 feeder series and then jumped in to become a F1 team.

And as far as Prodrive is concerned, their approach was the reason for their failed bid. They first wanted to run customer car, Williams objected and rules of the sport were amended banning customer car.
Then they were trying to buy Renault F1. They never really got their act together to actually put forward a successful bid to build a team that will build the car from scratch and go racing.
US F1 was a joke.

Last edited by funkymonkey on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:47 pm 

I don't get the point of HRT. Just seems a waste of time and effort.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:30 pm 

funkymonkey wrote:

But the way they beat Marussia/Virgin is questionable. I don't think they've been generally faster than them, they just have gotten that one higher place finish in a race when other cars retired in front of them so I wouldn't call that a triumph. Also if you look at last year's standings Jarno Trulli beat Heikki Kovalainen simply because he had one higher place finish on a race, but we all know which of them was always generally faster. Heikki also smashed Jarno in qualy last year.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:18 pm 

I like HRT

I always tried to support one of the wee teams. I was gutted when Minardi was gone from F1 and when the new teams came along Lotus/Caterham, virgin & hrt. I picked HRT as I thought both Tony Fernandes and Richard Branson were noobs.

As for the drivers Karthikeyan oh dear but Pedro's good and will help develop the car

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:21 pm 

tentimes wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:

If they can make pedal cars that meet all of the F1 regulations and qualify within the 107% rule, then they have earned the right to be there and I'll root for them.

And if people have a problem with the teams Max picked, then blame Max. I don't blame HRT for doing their best to get picked, and then committing the crime of actually being chosen. They've done nothing but their best under severe financial handicap from day one. I can see placing some blame on the owners for not funding the team better, or not doing a very good job finding sponsorship, but the team themselves have done a great job.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:54 pm 

People need to remember that one of the more expensive parts in running an F1 team is staff levels. The more employee's the higher your out goings. Then again this brings more ideas to the table to improve the cars performance.

Ferrari, McLaren, Red bull, Renault (lotus) have over 500 employees.

For example: 15 years ago Renault had approximately 180 staff at there Oxford base. They now have approximately 540 staff.

It's known that HRT have about a 3rd of the staffing levels as the front running teams (3rd of 540 is 180). Running a team on mid/late 90's staffing levels and getting in the 107% not bad! If they have the same staff numbers as the bigger teams they would be further up the grid and less people would be saying what a waste of space.

Also, the development and design of HRT's 2012 car was hampered by Geoff Willis (one of the best technical boys in F1) how was pinched by Mercedes.

Here's a thought; Imagine if the DDRS was Geoff Willis's idea (might've been) and if he stayed at HRT, they would have DDRS not Mercedes and HRT would be beating both Virgin and Caterham.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:45 pm 

I actually quite like hrt, Ferrari have a massive budget and they are lets face it struggling this year. If Ferrari are struggling what real hope does a tiny team have? Caterham have more resources than hrt and they havn't scored a point yet, it's a shame that Prodrive can't find a sensible budget and buy hrt out I think with the right budget, the right people I think they could do OK. Then again doing Ok in F1 these days doesn't count and the critics come out to play....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:10 pm 

They're doing better than Lola MasterCard did. Lola killed the careers of its drivers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:39 pm 

Where do HRT drop down to? There isn't a sub F1 series for manufacturers, it's all spec series below where you have to run a car of a specific design. They couldn't just got a enter their car in GP2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:31 pm 

After starting this thread and looking at what people have said and then looking up HRT I'm starting to get a bit of a soft spot for them, like someone said, always good to back a lower team :) :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:44 pm 

If they lost Karta-whatshisname I would probably feel better for them. The guy is tool.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:50 pm 

Explorer1800 wrote:
They're doing better than Lola MasterCard did. Lola killed the careers of its drivers.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lindenbr ... rosset.wav

Hard to kill Rosset's career more than he did himself...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:57 pm 

HRT Virgin and Catherham/Lotus all signed up under the promise of a budget cap. A budget cap they figured they could run under and be semi competitive.

the Cap Max promised was never enacted. Now they mightn't have had the full $40 mill or what ever the proposed cap was in funding. But the figures they are spending would be closer to the $40 mill than what ever the established teams are spending now.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:00 pm 

No matter how hard you cry here HRT won't drop because you want it to drop.