planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:31 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:47 am 

What have we got to say about the Glockster. Missed opportunity? Unrecognised over-achiever? Journeyman?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:02 pm 

I think he's OK, he did well at Toyota and now he is spear heading the Marussia team but it must hurt when Pic out qualifies him!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:03 pm 

I think he still deserves a shot in a better car. I still rate him highly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:09 pm 

froze wrote:
I think he still deserves a shot in a better car. I still rate him highly.

I'm with this, give him a competitive car and he will get loads better results!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:26 pm 

I don't know about that. Back in the ChampCar days when he broke in he was highly regarded and although voted Rookie of the year, outside of maybe 2 races he failed to impress. While at Toyota, he and his teammate Truli (pun intended) failed to impress and I think a better driver (one of the elites) would have taken a toyota to victory consistently. Glock and Truli often had a fast car under them and accomplished very little in the way of podium finishes.

I think at best Glock a very good 2nd Driver.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:41 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:
What have we got to say about the Glockster. Missed opportunity? Unrecognised over-achiever? Journeyman?

Without sounding too mean, do we really need a thread about every driver? I have noticed you have done 3 recently.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:15 pm 

lonix2011 wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:

Without sounding too mean, do we really need a thread about every driver? I have noticed you have done 3 recently.

oh but you DO sound mean, you do...

Some good noticing you've done there too - nothing escapes you eh?

Of course we don't NEED a thread for each, but if Glock turns in a star performance at the next race, I'll know where to post my appreciation.

Point being if we have Official Threads as per the sticky (you have checked the sticky haven't you?) then I think all drivers should have one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:25 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:
if Glock turns in a star performance at the next race, I'll know where to post my appreciation.

NEVER gonna happen. That's a much safer bet than buying Apple Stock. LOL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:01 am 

the incubus wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:
if Glock turns in a star performance at the next race, I'll know where to post my appreciation.

NEVER gonna happen. That's a much safer bet than buying Apple Stock. LOL

That's the probelm though isn't it - he could be racing the nuts off that thing every weekend but it would be hard for us to tell.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:17 am 

The problem is that I haven't paid much attention to Marussia in all these years. It's hard to say if Glock did well versus his teammates. However all of his teammates at Marussia have been rookies so not a good measure stick. If you put him in a top car he might be good or just fare as badly as Heikki did at Macca. He wasn't better than Trulli most of the time who was already passed his best form I think. He has IMO become the most anonymous from the experienced drivers. However I do think he is better than Sutil. Dunno if he is better than Heidfeld, I'm inclined to say no.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:43 am 

Amon wrote:
The problem is that I haven't paid much attention to Marussia in all these years. It's hard to say if Glock did well versus his teammates. However all of his teammates at Marussia have been rookies so not a good measure stick. If you put him in a top car he might be good or just fare as badly as Heikki did at Macca. He wasn't better than Trulli most of the time who was already passed his best form I think. He has IMO become the most anonymous from the experienced drivers. However I do think he is better than Sutil. Dunno if he is better than Heidfeld, I'm inclined to say no.

Well the forum rated him as follows

1. Alonso
2. Hamilton
3. Raikkonen
4. Massa
5. Vettel
6. Button
7. Webber
8. Kubica
9. Rosberg
10. Trulli
11. Heidfeld
12. Glock
13. Barrichello
14. Sutil
15. Fisichella
16. Kovalainen
17. Buemi
18. Nakajima
19. Alguersuari

1. Fernando Alonso
2. Lewis Hamilton
3. Sebastian Vettel
4. Robert Kubica
5. Jenson Button
6. Mark Webber
7. Nico Rosberg
8. Felipe Massa
9. Michael Schumacher
10. Rubens Barrichello
11. Nick Heidfeld
12. Kamui Kobayashi
13. Adrian Sutil
14. Heikki Kovalainen
15. Timo Glock
16. Jarno Trulli
17. Jaime Alguersuari
18. Sebastien Buemi
19. Vitaly Petrov
20. Paul di Resta
21. Pastor Maldonado
22. Jerome d'Ambrosio
23. Sergio Perez
24. Narain Karthikeyan

And annoyingly I can't find the 2010 list...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:07 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:
Amon wrote:

1. Alonso
2. Hamilton
3. Raikkonen
4. Massa
5. Vettel
6. Button
7. Webber
8. Kubica
9. Rosberg
10. Trulli
11. Heidfeld
12. Glock
13. Barrichello
14. Sutil
15. Fisichella
16. Kovalainen
17. Buemi
18. Nakajima
19. Alguersuari

1. Fernando Alonso
2. Lewis Hamilton
3. Sebastian Vettel
4. Robert Kubica
5. Jenson Button
6. Mark Webber
7. Nico Rosberg
8. Felipe Massa
9. Michael Schumacher
10. Rubens Barrichello
11. Nick Heidfeld
12. Kamui Kobayashi
13. Adrian Sutil
14. Heikki Kovalainen
15. Timo Glock
16. Jarno Trulli
17. Jaime Alguersuari
18. Sebastien Buemi
19. Vitaly Petrov
20. Paul di Resta
21. Pastor Maldonado
22. Jerome d'Ambrosio
23. Sergio Perez
24. Narain Karthikeyan

Must say I find the 2011 list shocking!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:19 pm 

Amon wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:
Amon wrote:

1. Alonso
2. Hamilton
3. Raikkonen
4. Massa
5. Vettel
6. Button
7. Webber
8. Kubica
9. Rosberg
10. Trulli
11. Heidfeld
12. Glock
13. Barrichello
14. Sutil
15. Fisichella
16. Kovalainen
17. Buemi
18. Nakajima
19. Alguersuari

1. Fernando Alonso
2. Lewis Hamilton
3. Sebastian Vettel
4. Robert Kubica
5. Jenson Button
6. Mark Webber
7. Nico Rosberg
8. Felipe Massa
9. Michael Schumacher
10. Rubens Barrichello
11. Nick Heidfeld
12. Kamui Kobayashi
13. Adrian Sutil
14. Heikki Kovalainen
15. Timo Glock
16. Jarno Trulli
17. Jaime Alguersuari
18. Sebastien Buemi
19. Vitaly Petrov
20. Paul di Resta
21. Pastor Maldonado
22. Jerome d'Ambrosio
23. Sergio Perez
24. Narain Karthikeyan

Must say I find the 2011 list shocking!

Check out 23....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:07 pm 

Here's how I think 2011 Drivers Rankings should be.

1. Sebastian Vettel (not my favorite but the kid mopped the floor with the field)
2. Jenson Button (Not as good as Lewis IMHO but his maturity allowed him to yield better results with greater consistency)
3. Fernando Alonso (C'mon, the car was not excellent and he did well enough to challenge towards the front on a few occasions)
4. Lewis Hamilton (Let his heads get the better of him too often, costing him throughout the season)
5. Nick Heidfeld (the guy came in for Renault and scored a 3rd place podium his 2nd race out and then the rest of the field edged Renault in development but he still did ok, though I think if he stopped over thinking he may have faired better more often)
6. Mark Webber (very consistent but should have had more 2nd places and wins considering his car was one of the 4 best all year)
7. Felipe Massa (scored consistently the entire year but was never comfortable enough with his car to muscle it to better results)
8. Nico Rosberg (did quite well in Qualifying all year but faded a bit in the races.
9. Michael Schumacher (too many incidents with other drivers - NOT ALL HIS FAULT - hindered his overall season standings)
10. Adrian Sutil (just can't quite get over the hump and force his car higher up at the end. Should rank higher but his car was better than his performances indicate)
11. Kamui Kobayashi (rightfully placed ahead of all following drivers though he is experienced enough by now to help his team make calls during races to help him place better at the end - we've seen other drivers tell the team what they think)
12. Rubens Barrichello (one of the 2 old men on the grid and did respectably well considering all the HYPE his young teammate received)
13. Vitaly Petrov (too many poor results given his package wasn't all that awful but team decisions did do him in a few times as well)
14. Paul di Resta (far too much praise to have been beaten by is teammate with such regularity and again, his car was not terrible)
15. Jaime Alguersuari (started out just OK and seemingly came to the realization he had the ability to push harder and in the last 3rd of the season was really looking better)
16. Sebastien Buemi (started out stronger than his teammate and lost a bit to him in the end)
17. Heikki Kovalainen (would rank higher if not for his car)
18. Sergio Perez (his progress was impeded due to his heavy crash at Monaco - did well to improve his form towards the end of the year)
19. Bruno Senna (not enough time in the car but should have still done better than he did. a slight improvement over 2010 but simply not enough)
20. Jarno Trulli (never impressed me outside of being a decent #2)
21. Pastor Maldonado (still waiting to see if he is as good as people thought when he was in GP2. Still not seeing/buying it. Good, not excellent. At least not yet)
22. Timo Glock (another overly praised driver IMHO. Can't see any justification for him being so highly regarded his whole career, having placed well in only a handful of races)
23. Jerome d'Ambrosio (soundly at the back of the grid - but his car was not very good and underpowered so at this point not much to rate him on)
24. Vitantonio Liuzzi (never impressed in F1. At best an OK #2 driver though in Karting he was quite excellent)
25. Narain Karthikeyan (hard to donkeys given the car)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:04 pm 

the incubus wrote:
Here's how I think 2011 Drivers Rankings should be.

1. Sebastian Vettel (not my favorite but the kid mopped the floor with the field)
2. Jenson Button (Not as good as Lewis IMHO but his maturity allowed him to yield better results with greater consistency)
3. Fernando Alonso (C'mon, the car was not excellent and he did well enough to challenge towards the front on a few occasions)
4. Lewis Hamilton (Let his heads get the better of him too often, costing him throughout the season)
5. Nick Heidfeld (the guy came in for Renault and scored a 3rd place podium his 2nd race out and then the rest of the field edged Renault in development but he still did ok, though I think if he stopped over thinking he may have faired better more often)
6. Mark Webber (very consistent but should have had more 2nd places and wins considering his car was one of the 4 best all year)
7. Felipe Massa (scored consistently the entire year but was never comfortable enough with his car to muscle it to better results)
8. Nico Rosberg (did quite well in Qualifying all year but faded a bit in the races.
9. Michael Schumacher (too many incidents with other drivers - NOT ALL HIS FAULT - hindered his overall season standings)
10. Adrian Sutil (just can't quite get over the hump and force his car higher up at the end. Should rank higher but his car was better than his performances indicate)
11. Kamui Kobayashi (rightfully placed ahead of all following drivers though he is experienced enough by now to help his team make calls during races to help him place better at the end - we've seen other drivers tell the team what they think)
12. Rubens Barrichello (one of the 2 old men on the grid and did respectably well considering all the HYPE his young teammate received)
13. Vitaly Petrov (too many poor results given his package wasn't all that awful but team decisions did do him in a few times as well)
14. Paul di Resta (far too much praise to have been beaten by is teammate with such regularity and again, his car was not terrible)
15. Jaime Alguersuari (started out just OK and seemingly came to the realization he had the ability to push harder and in the last 3rd of the season was really looking better)
16. Sebastien Buemi (started out stronger than his teammate and lost a bit to him in the end)
17. Heikki Kovalainen (would rank higher if not for his car)
18. Sergio Perez (his progress was impeded due to his heavy crash at Monaco - did well to improve his form towards the end of the year)
19. Bruno Senna (not enough time in the car but should have still done better than he did. a slight improvement over 2010 but simply not enough)
20. Jarno Trulli (never impressed me outside of being a decent #2)
21. Pastor Maldonado (still waiting to see if he is as good as people thought when he was in GP2. Still not seeing/buying it. Good, not excellent. At least not yet)
22. Timo Glock (another overly praised driver IMHO. Can't see any justification for him being so highly regarded his whole career, having placed well in only a handful of races)
23. Jerome d'Ambrosio (soundly at the back of the grid - but his car was not very good and underpowered so at this point not much to rate him on)
24. Vitantonio Liuzzi (never impressed in F1. At best an OK #2 driver though in Karting he was quite excellent)
25. Narain Karthikeyan (hard to donkeys given the car)

Nice but as this the Timo Glock thread, I'm afraid only 4% of your post can be considered relevant.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:21 pm 

It is completely relevant IMO because it shows where he should rightfully rank. The additional tidbits of info help explain precisely why he sits in the position I've placed him in.

B'sides... after a hellacious 2.5 weeks here at work, I have a very quiet day and had plenty of time to kill. :D :P