planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:51 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:55 pm 

Race2win wrote:
Quote:
The recent reshuffle has hurt Nico Hulkenberg because he was offered a Ferrari drive and, a contract was on the table. Nico was offered a contract with Ferrari, apparently, but did not sign his name. All it needed was a signature and he, and his people, would have been made for life. His manager has been calling, 'Foul', but all that was needed was a signature, but Hulkenberg was holding out for more money. Silly boy, the chance is unlikely to be repeated.

Silly move by Nico.

Bold move if Nico knows what Ferrari is up to.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:19 am 

Race2win wrote:
Quote:
The recent reshuffle has hurt Nico Hulkenberg because he was offered a Ferrari drive and, a contract was on the table. Nico was offered a contract with Ferrari, apparently, but did not sign his name. All it needed was a signature and he, and his people, would have been made for life. His manager has been calling, 'Foul', but all that was needed was a signature, but Hulkenberg was holding out for more money. Silly boy, the chance is unlikely to be repeated.

Silly move by Nico.

Other sources report that the missing signature was in fact that of Di Montezemelo, which makes a bit more sense.

Surely Lotus will pick him up? The guy can't do much more than what he's done this second half of the season to show his talent - and to paraphrase what he says himself, he was always good - a few races in the points don't mean he's suddenly better, he just had a slightly better car.

I know everyone's said thins a million times, but I just cannot believe he doesn't have a top tier drive yet....

Tous Avec Jules #17

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:49 am 

Alaaddin wrote:
There is a huge problem concerning The Hulk. I don't know what causes this but like a Blackhole there is something unseen causing instability and distortion issue for Nico's career. I only hope that unnamed blackhole won't consume his career all inside. After having a depressing message from Ferrari, he could only try to repeat his 2013 Monza performance with that Sauber car. But the real problem is, we are not sure if he has already eclipsed that performance prior in the season. Driving a dog causes many difficulties, you do your best, maybe better than Championship Leader but in the end you only get a 12th. That is really hard when you try to persuade team leaders in contract negotiations. If something is harder than driving alongside a 4 time WDC at the same team, it is driving a dog in the midfield while having an unknown driver as teammate. Unfortunately for Nico, this is the exact situation for him right now.
All things considered, i will remain positive because i know as long as he does his best, his hard work will pay off for him; be it now or in future.

Yes, Hulkenberg, Thats it! At least now you have a WELL DESERVED 4th place. Come on! :smug:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:47 am 

So during the race today, Brundle said he'd been told in confidence that Hulkenberg has signed for a team (the inference was Lotus), but then he said something else about a couple of conditions or something? Did anyone catch what those were, or exactly what was said.

Here's hoping he's in the Lotus next year and it goes well....

Tous Avec Jules #17

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:00 am 

WiredKiwi wrote:
So during the race today, Brundle said he'd been told in confidence that Hulkenberg has signed for a team (the inference was Lotus), but then he said something else about a couple of conditions or something? Did anyone catch what those were, or exactly what was said.

If Hulkenberg signs with McLaren, the pair (Button and Hulk) will be very strong, if it goes another way with Lotus, Hulkenberg with Grosjean will be another strong pair. Either way with the todays result of 6th, Hulk again proved his performances in past seasons were not one-off. :nod:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:22 am 

WiredKiwi wrote:

Yeah Brundle said something like "something something that I can understand, and one or two other things that I don't quite understand".

He also said that there was a certain team principal that wasn't convinced by The Hulk.

My first thoughts were okay he's signed with Lotus but maybe with conditions that Grosjean will be team leader. Something like that. And my hunch is that its Whitmarsh that isn't convinced. Just speculating really.

Anyway good signs he'll be in F1 next year :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:30 am 

Apparently EJ said that Hulk is going back to Force India. Would be a shame...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:25 am 

snooch wrote:

Surely if that's the case it must be because Lotus don't want him. Which would be incredibly shortsighted on Lotus's part. Force India would be a step back for Hülkenberg now I think.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:38 am 

FlyingScot wrote:
snooch wrote:

Surely if that's the case it must be because Lotus don't want him. Which would be incredibly shortsighted on Lotus's part. Force India would be a step back for Hülkenberg now I think.

If Lotus don't take him, they are making a very stupid decision then.

If it turns out be true, the only reason I feel they may not take him would be cause of the minimum weight rule, which they believe would go against the Hulk.

As much as I would love to see the Hulk back again in Force India, I surely believes he needs a stronger team to help him win or atleast score consistent podiums.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:47 am 

Force India would be a sideward step.

Unless he knows that Mercedes are developing a considerably better engine than Renault/Ferrari.

I don't know, when he was talking to Tom Clarkson about the contract he may or may not have signed he looked smug and pleased with himself, like a guy who had just signed a deal to drive for a better team.

Like Lotus. Or (I hope) McLaren.....!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:54 am 

snooch wrote:

Force India. Ugh. I don't want to believe it, but EJ is usually pretty reliable.

Sounds likely that Whitmarsh is the doubting Thomas. Although why he thinks he can spot talent is anyone's guess. Because Perez has been such a find.... Not.

Tous Avec Jules #17

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:10 am 

As far as i remember from his debut race to 2013 year, Hulkenberg continuously says after a striking performance that those results won't change anything for him. I am sure there is a reason of this oddness behind the scenes that he doesn't want to share with the common media. And that type of his comments have already started before weight concerns. Strange.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:19 am 

Andrew Benson tweeted: "My reputation rests on" Hulkenberg going to Force India, EJ says as a final word on the subject.

EJ also thinks Massa will drive for Lotus.

Jordan hasn't been wrong about these things for a while.... But the strong inference on SKY F1 was that he was going to Lotus.

If he did go to Force India, it may seem like a sideways step now, but who knows what is going to happen next year with the new regs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:29 am 

F1zen wrote:
Andrew Benson tweeted: "My reputation rests on" Hulkenberg going to Force India, EJ says as a final word on the subject.

Jordan hasn't been wrong about these things for a while.... But the strong inference on SKY F1 was that he was going to Lotus.

If he did go to Force India, it may seem like a sideways step now, but who knows what is going to happen next year with the new regs.

Brundle said he knew that Hulkenberg had already signed, but I'm not sure he personally ever really inferred it was Lotus. Everyone else did, but he seemed to keep pretty quiet.

Maybe the he knows Hulkenberg has signed for FI too, but is keeping quiet (something EJ is maybe less likely to do :) ). It would be odd if they both thought they knew for sure but they had opposite information. They're both pretty in the loop.

Assuming it is true, it seems like a bit of a shame to me, both for Lotus and Hulkenberg. Like you say, it could turn out to be brilliant due to next season being the great unknown, but as it stands it seems like at best a sideways step.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:22 pm 

wolfticket wrote:
F1zen wrote:

Brundle said he knew that Hulkenberg had already signed, but I'm not sure he personally ever really inferred it was Lotus. Everyone else did, but he seemed to keep pretty quiet.

Maybe the he knows Hulkenberg has signed for FI too, but is keeping quiet (something EJ is maybe less likely to do :) ). It would be odd if they both thought they knew for sure but they had opposite information. They're both pretty in the loop.

Assuming it is true, it seems like a bit of a shame to me, both for Lotus and Hulkenberg. Like you say, it could turn out to be brilliant due to next season being the great unknown, but as it stands it seems like at best a sideways step.

No doubt Lotus is a much better car than Force India, but guys please don't forget that during the 1st half, they were the 5th best team & would've given a strong competition to McLaren had the tyres not been changed after Silverstone.

Next year, who knows Force India may be stronger. Hulk would gather all of the required information regarding development of both the teams before making a decision.

If Lotus go for Massa, isn't Force India his best option, provided he isn't convinced that Williams Mercedes might be a stronger package.

If Hulk joins Force India, who will he replace OR who the team will want to replace as both of the drivers are 'even steven'!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:08 pm 

Brundles comments made me think, he said something along the lines of Hulk has already signed, but the team needs to "sort out some things". Could be Louts sorting out finances..... or my other thought was Mclaren, with Perez still unconfirmed (unless I missed it?) could that be what needs sorting out?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:49 am 

Brundle's comment made me think he didn't sign for Lotus. I'm sure EJ is right on the money and Hulkenberg is unfortunately going back to Force India...

Brundle: I spoke to a team boss this morning who is not all together convinced by Hulkenberg.
Croft: Really??
Brundle: I don't fully get [it]. I believe Hulkenberg has signed for a team next year. I can't say who. And uhh, they're just waiting to tidy up a couple of things and I think it's...it's pretty much decided what he would like to do, but I'm a bit surprised at one or two other things.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:49 am 

The way that Brundle said "sort out one or two things first" made me think it was Lotus, who have said that they want to make sure all their financial and sponsorship issues are fixed before announcing anyone. But EJ seems very convinced that it is Force India. I would be surprised if Hulk chose Force India over Lotus. But I will be really disappointed if it turns out Lotus have passed over Hulk for Massa or Maldonado.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:03 pm 

That much talked weight shouldn't be so much of a problem for Hulk. If i were a team principal, i would take the one brings big points and victories with 100+ kilos, to the one who can not bring that much of a success with only 45 kilos. I mean TPs should consider end results for the drivers not free practices, qualifyings and bold overtakings that leads nowhere come the end of races.

In short; i hope McLaren or Lotus know what they are doing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:16 pm 

Don't think this has been discussed anywhere yet. http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 15141.html

The whole interview talks about Kimi and Grosjean, and Lotus's future with investment, but here are some key quotes from Eric Boullier about Nico:

Quote:
Q: Lotus is now the most attractive drive available for 2014. For you, who is for you the next best thing to Kimi?
EB: Grosjean.

Q: We are talking about the vacant seat. Grosjean is already on your payroll.
EB: Nico Hulkenberg.

Q: Will you sign him?
EB: I would love to. This is the recommendation that I gave to my board.

[...]

Quote:
Q: So there is only the issue of the second driver that has to be solved. When will that be?
EB: I would love to do it before Abu Dhabi.

Q: And it could be Hulkenberg? You gave the recommendation to the board and you would like to have him…
EB: Yes.

He says in the article that there is a deadline for the investors to get tied up which is "very soon." This, coupled with the fact that he wants the second driver to be signed before Abu Dhabi, suggests the deadline falls before Abu Dhabi. Whether they manage to make it is a different story. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much because this has been dragged out for a very long time, but I really hope that it goes through and Nico gets the seat. :nod:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:42 am 

Issues or no issues, if they don't sign Hulk, then they must be as nutty as a Fruit cake.

However, Boullier has recently admitted that Maldonado is also in the picture (no doubt for what reason)!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:18 pm 

Have to say that the Hulk is now my favourite driver. I really enjoy watching qualifying to see where he gets up to. Always love an underdog and Sauber have really been doing well the last few races - hopefully another good race tomorrow!!

If Alonso meanders off to McLaren in 2015, Kimi and Hulk at Ferrari would be awesome. Go Team Handsome!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:31 pm 

Hulk starts the 2013 Abu-Dhabi GP on 5th position alongside pole expected Mercedes car. Great accomplishment yet again, from Hulkenberg. I hope he can achieve his debut podium before 2014. He succeeds like an all time great already within that Sauber.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:29 am 

Sky are reporting that Force India has offered Hulk a 2 year deal:

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12473/9002102/force-india-offer-nico-hulkenberg-two-year-deal-as-fears-grow-over-germans-f1-future

Also, "Lotus investor Quantum wants Hulkenberg":

http://www.worldcarfans.com/113110265444/lotus-investor-quantum-wants-hulkenberg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:01 am 

F1zen wrote:

If this is the case, we Hulk fans will be so much in a quandary over deciding which is a better option ( a confirmed 2 year deal or a consideration).

No wonder Hulk is scratching his head!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:43 pm 

Disappointing race for the Hulkster.

Can't believe he hasn't ended up with a top drive...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:36 pm 

Hulkenberg might have finished 5th or 6th without the pit error of his team. This indicates the importance of a perfectly working team for getting an ultimate good job over the weekend. Monisha should have a few words for the pit crew. With three seconds delay at the pits, things would be looking completely different.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:50 pm 

Although i support Vet, But, Ros and Hulk together, i have to say Hulkenberg is a better Race Driver than both Button and Rosberg in 2013. In qualifying of USA GP, he again outqualified both Mercedes, McLaren, Ferrari. To do it one time is not an unusual thing in a Sauber. But if one does it several times in a way that seem as a natural thing in a season, then it is certain there is an exceptional racer in that seat of Sauber.

He is consistent on limit. That is no mean feat.

I hope for a trouble free race for Hulkenberg.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:55 pm 

Great job by Hulk.... once again.

He is 26 years old so regardless of what happens for next year, I believe he will be in a top car before too long.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:56 pm 

Disturbing that teams are not fighting to sign this guy. Super talented and smart young guy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:32 pm 

He's the 'best of the rest' IMO...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:52 pm 

Alaaddin wrote:
Although i support Vet, But, Ros and Hulk together, i have to say Hulkenberg is a better Race Driver than both Button and Rosberg in 2013. In qualifying of USA GP, he again outqualified both Mercedes, McLaren, Ferrari. To do it one time is not an unusual thing in a Sauber. But if one does it several times in a way that seem as a natural thing in a season, then it is certain there is an exceptional racer in that seat of Sauber.

He is consistent on limit. That is no mean feat.

I hope for a trouble free race for Hulkenberg.

He is my favorite driver by far and I am convinced he is the fastest on the Grid.
After his GP2 win I could not believe that he had such a struggle his first year at Williams.
Now he is really showing his true talent and pace.
Go Nico!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:07 pm 

Yet another ridiculously good qualifying from Hulkenberg. The F1 gods really need to put him in a top team. If I were Mercedes, I'd replace Rosberg with Hulkenberg.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:12 pm 

raceman wrote:
Yet another ridiculously good qualifying from Hulkenberg. The F1 gods really need to put him in a top team. If I were Mercedes, I'd replace Rosberg with Hulkenberg.

I think replacing Rosberg with an unknown (albeit a very promising) quantity like Hulk would be a big risk. Rosberg has pretty much matched Hamilton this year & I dont think anyone doubts Hamilton's ability to win the WDC in the right equipment.

I too think Hulk looks promising but if I were Mercedes I wouldn't change a thing at the moment.

However if I were Red Bull I would have seriously considered sending him a contract earlier this year.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:39 pm 

It's a shame because I'm sure Lotus (the racing side of the team anyway) would love to sign him. Boullier has already said he recommended Hulk to his board. It just comes down to how desperate they are for money, or else I'm sure he would already be signed. Fingers crossed he gets a decent seat for next season. Even sticking with Sauber wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if they continue to progress as they have finishes this season.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:52 pm 

To be honest I'm getting somewhat tired of that underdog image (against all odds = millions). He should start with sacking his manager who is not able to acquire a capable sponsor for a more than capable driver ...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:58 pm 

Here's hoping he finds himself a drive for next year

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:50 am 

The odd delay for a competitive drive for Hulkenberg is due to the Vettel. Fate impedes these two from becoming direct rivals.

Hulk will be The Man to Beat after Vettel era.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:48 pm 

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111496?source=mostpopular

Hulk says McLaren showed no interest, which is interesting. Possibly they don't rate him higher than Perez/Button, hence Magners being brought in. Personally, I thought Hulk and Button sounded like a strong line-up.

At this stage, I hope Hulk stays at Sauber. They've shown before that they have the ability to develop a car during the year, if they could just start the year with a good car, that would be great..!

Force India, by comparison, have been promising so much for years now, but don't actually seem to be going anywhere. I'd back Sauber to create something out of nothing - like a surprise win - before FI would. Sauber have also shown that they have the ability to survive, year in, year out. Lotus seem like a bunch of messers.

Given how handsome the Hulk is, it's a surprising situation :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:58 am 

Alaaddin wrote:
The odd delay for a competitive drive for Hulkenberg is due to the Vettel. Fate impedes these two from becoming direct rivals.

Hulk will be The Man to Beat after Vettel era.

Yes i'm sure the Hulk being 1 month younger than old man Vettel will make all the difference :lol:

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)