planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:49 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:37 am 

Exediron wrote:
... just as long as they keep Carmen Jorda well away from the series.

Sorry Exed

From the same article:

"former Lotus F1 tester Carmen Jorda and British GT class champion Jamie Chadwick are among the highest-profile names in the initial roster"

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:46 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Sorry Exed

From the same article:

"former Lotus F1 tester Carmen Jorda and British GT class champion Jamie Chadwick are among the highest-profile names in the initial roster"

Yeah, I saw that, but they don't have to give her a seat! She's still just in the larger pool for now!

I mean, what do Carmen Jorda and Jamie Chadwick have in common? One of them is a champion, and the other... has Carmen Jorda ever won a race? In anything?

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:06 am 

Exediron wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Sorry Exed

From the same article:

Yeah, I saw that, but they don't have to give her a seat! She's still just in the larger pool for now!

I mean, what do Carmen Jorda and Jamie Chadwick have in common? One of them is a champion, and the other... has Carmen Jorda ever won a race? In anything?

Well what is she even doing throwing her hat into the ring anyway because, as per her wikipedia page, she stated in April 2015 "It's not fair that women have to compete in the same championship as men, because we're never going to become World Champion, and I think women deserve that chance."

So if she has that attitude, why even bother entering if this series is supposed to be a leg up into a mixed competition?

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:18 am 

I've still got no idea what this series is supposed to achieve. If the likes of Jorda and Powell are among the highest profile drivers, it's not going to produce anyone good enough even for GP3. Chadwick is the only one who has achieved anything of note and she was only 8th out of 13 drivers who did the whole season in British F3.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:22 pm 

Exediron wrote:
The W Series has released their 'long list' of potential entries, which they say will be narrowed down to 18 through a 'three-day on-and-off-track trial' among the larger pool.

https://www.autosport.com/other/news/14 ... 55-drivers

Out of the lot of them, 5 are former or current champions in some series:

Ayla Agren (F1600 champion)
Jamie Chadwick (GT4 champion)
Sarah Moore (Ginetta Junior champion)
Alice Powell (Formula Renault UK champion)
Carrie Schreiner (Middle East Pro-Am champion)

Obviously, a majority of the most prominent and successful female racing drivers are not on that list. No de Silverstro, no Mann - Sophia Floersch isn't on the list either. There are some drivers who are quite unknown to me, so it is possible that they will manage to discover a new star... just as long as they keep Carmen Jorda well away from the series.

Problem for me is that several of those drivers have peaked already. They've done OK in junior series, managed to go up to the next level . but as all drivers find, it's like a knockout tournament where the further you get the better the competition is and none of them have really done anything to suggest they merit a seat in a higher-level series.

That's where I don't get what this will achieve - what will it prove? If they had won in the series they've done, they would have progressed or hit the same barriers any driver does .

So if they compete at say national level F3 or similar and come say 10th out of a grid of 20, then do this series and win it - what does that prove? It would sadly say more about the drivers they beat.

I feel the idea has some merit if it's an opportunity being afforded to youngsters showing potential in lower series, but not to drivers who have had a fair crack already. I guess the only benefit is they could be regarded a useful benchmark for the younger or less experienced drivers, but if they go on to win, it will devalue the series.

They should instigate almost the opposite of a super-license - limit the applications on age and experience. Otherwise it's just a glorified "come and give it a go" event, not a legit series.

In short, I'm all for the idea of creating something that may make more women try racing, but I'm not convinced this is the best way to do that and it could be quite counter-productive.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:03 am 

DOLOMITE wrote:
Exediron wrote:
The W Series has released their 'long list' of potential entries, which they say will be narrowed down to 18 through a 'three-day on-and-off-track trial' among the larger pool.

https://www.autosport.com/other/news/14 ... 55-drivers

Out of the lot of them, 5 are former or current champions in some series:

Ayla Agren (F1600 champion)
Jamie Chadwick (GT4 champion)
Sarah Moore (Ginetta Junior champion)
Alice Powell (Formula Renault UK champion)
Carrie Schreiner (Middle East Pro-Am champion)

Obviously, a majority of the most prominent and successful female racing drivers are not on that list. No de Silverstro, no Mann - Sophia Floersch isn't on the list either. There are some drivers who are quite unknown to me, so it is possible that they will manage to discover a new star... just as long as they keep Carmen Jorda well away from the series.

Problem for me is that several of those drivers have peaked already. They've done OK in junior series, managed to go up to the next level . but as all drivers find, it's like a knockout tournament where the further you get the better the competition is and none of them have really done anything to suggest they merit a seat in a higher-level series.

That's where I don't get what this will achieve - what will it prove? If they had won in the series they've done, they would have progressed or hit the same barriers any driver does .

So if they compete at say national level F3 or similar and come say 10th out of a grid of 20, then do this series and win it - what does that prove? It would sadly say more about the drivers they beat.

I feel the idea has some merit if it's an opportunity being afforded to youngsters showing potential in lower series, but not to drivers who have had a fair crack already. I guess the only benefit is they could be regarded a useful benchmark for the younger or less experienced drivers, but if they go on to win, it will devalue the series.

They should instigate almost the opposite of a super-license - limit the applications on age and experience. Otherwise it's just a glorified "come and give it a go" event, not a legit series.

In short, I'm all for the idea of creating something that may make more women try racing, but I'm not convinced this is the best way to do that and it could be quite counter-productive.

I agree with this. The concept of the series should be centered around discovering talented female drivers who haven't had the opportunity (read: funds) to compete at an F3 level before, not finding drivers who already did that and failed to make a mark.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017