planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:42 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:45 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:
More from W Series:
"To be clear, and to clarify some media speculation on the subject, I’m not now referring to Katherine Legge or Michelle Gatting. A very experienced driver, Katherine performed extremely well at Almeria, as you’d expect, but, despite being favourably impressed by the quality of the W Series operation, she decided to remain focused on her USA-based racing programme in 2020 and as such hasn’t put her name forward to race with us next year. Michelle performed extremely well at Almeria too, but also elected not to race with us next year but instead to concentrate on other series."

They've also clarified that from next year the Champ won't be allowed to stay on defend their title due to them now having Super License point eligibility.

The drives are fully funded by the series, so wonder what Chadders is going to do with her half a million quid!

Apparently it wasn't enough money to buy her the drive she wanted so I guess she's come back to the series to top it up?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:21 pm 

The whole concept is a bit ‘emperor’s new clothes’ to me. Plenty of people saying how wonderful it all is but nobody can say what the actual specific purpose is. If it’s supposed to get more women interested in watching, that’s not happening. If it’s to give women an artificial boost up the ladder, all they’re going to do is end up like Calderon; going from middle-bottom half every race to almost invariably last.

Okay, best case scenario for Chadwick; she wins again and has enough money for a full F3 seat for a season at Prema. There are two possible outcomes from that:
1. She gets the drive and at best spends a season fighting over minor points whilst her teammates battle for the title.
2. They decide they’d prefer someone more competitive and she doesn’t get the drive, so a year of her career gets wasted in WSeries.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:00 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
Okay, best case scenario for Chadwick; she wins again and has enough money for a full F3 seat for a season at Prema. There are two possible outcomes from that:
1. She gets the drive and at best spends a season fighting over minor points whilst her teammates battle for the title.
2. They decide they’d prefer someone more competitive and she doesn’t get the drive, so a year of her career gets wasted in WSeries.

I mean, there is a third possibility where she's quicker than you expect and actually wins a race or two. I don't think it's quite as cut-and-dried as you make it out to be.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:44 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
The whole concept is a bit ‘emperor’s new clothes’ to me. Plenty of people saying how wonderful it all is but nobody can say what the actual specific purpose is. If it’s supposed to get more women interested in watching, that’s not happening. If it’s to give women an artificial boost up the ladder, all they’re going to do is end up like Calderon; going from middle-bottom half every race to almost invariably last.

Prema were quite happy to run Sean Geleal in F2 this year and Mick Schumacher was never going to run for the title given how long it takes him to get up to speed in any new series he enters, so they are not averse to just taking the money.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:45 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

I mean, there is a third possibility where she's quicker than you expect and actually wins a race or two. I don't think it's quite as cut-and-dried as you make it out to be.

TBH fighting over the minor points IS quicker than I expect. She spent the second half of the season being outperformed by Powell, who was usually about 19th in GP3.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:55 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Highly unlikely given how she couldn't win a race in the W series in the second half of the season and barely beat Visser, a driver who got dropped from the Red Bull program after 3 seasons in FR3.5 were in her best season she finished second from last of the regular runners.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:16 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Highly unlikely given how she couldn't win a race in the W series in the second half of the season and barely beat Visser, a driver who got dropped from the Red Bull program after 3 seasons in FR3.5 were in her best season she finished second from last of the regular runners.

Oh, I totally agree that it's unlikely. I just don't agree that it's impossible.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017