planetf1.com

It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 4:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:22 pm 

When Lewis asked: "Are you sure the others are 1 stopping?"

My immediate thought was the other teams might now change strategy after hearing Lewis on the radio. And low and behold, Ferrari and Red Bull stayed out and did just that. Crofty and Martin were saying Ferrari were talking to Alonso in Spanish or Italian so the other teams couldn't follow what they were doing.

I created a thread about teams only using English over radios and not other languages in the old forum and it didn't go down to well with some of you. But I could see the advantage and wondered why, Ferrari in particular, never did this sooner? They must have thought speaking Spanish or Italian would give them some sort of an advantage. If not, or why bother?

Your thoughts :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:24 pm 

I'm pretty sure that you are supposed to speak English over the radio. I don't know if it's in the regulations but I've heard that you aren't supposed to speak other languages.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:27 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that you are supposed to speak English over the radio. I don't know if it's in the regulations but I've heard that you aren't supposed to speak other languages.

Thats what I thought.

Basically so the stewards and indeed whiting can keep an eye on whats going on.

Maybe though with the relaxing of team orders that doesn't matter anymore.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:34 pm 

What did Alonso's engineer say in Italian on the bit we heard on the world feed?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:36 pm 

Hamilton: "Are you SURE the others won't 1-stop?"

Ferrari to Alonso in Spanish Italian: "Hey great idea my friend, Hamilton is scared we'll do 1-stop, which means he is doing 2-stop, lets 1-stop".

Atleast that's what I think happened.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:38 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:

Well in that case, perhaps Alonso should be docked a few points :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:38 pm 

f1madman wrote:

Ferrari to Alonso in Spanish Italian: "Hey great idea my friend, Hamilton is scared we'll do 1-stop, which means he is doing 2-stop, lets 1-stop".

Hamilton: Suckers fell for it, he, he!

I don't think there is any reg either, just think Bernie and FOM consider English to bethe language of F1 so want any broadcast communications to be in English.

Last edited by PzR Slim on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:39 pm 

f1madman wrote:

Yup :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:41 pm 

f1madman wrote:

Nah more like.

1 Nil to us ha ha ha ha.

Or you bleep bleep bleep s equalized

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:48 pm 

during the race I thought this is wronmg.

constant footage of mclaren radio but no redbull or ferrari.

There needs to be a cap each team can be played and probably also another rule to even it out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:50 pm 

chrcoluk wrote:

There needs to be a cap each team can be played and probably also another rule to even it out.

I've noticed this as well. We always here McLaren Team radio but never RB and Ferrari. I remember this happened in Monza 2010 with Jenson?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:48 pm 

I remember Martin Brundle saying that most teams have translators so the only people who don't really know what they're saying is us.

As for only hearing McLarens team radio, it's probably cos Jenson and Lewis are the only ones who sound interesting on radio.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:31 pm 

We hear RB all the time. Rocky has the best radio voice evarrrrrr. And we hear Stella and Smedley all the time too.

The one non-English transmission I paid attention to was about Perez, not Hamilton.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:59 pm 

I thought the teams got to hear loads of each others radio that we don't hear on TV anyway?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:14 am 

chrcoluk wrote:

That's because they always have something funny (or occasionally interesting) to give us:
Lewis (Monaco 2012): Why do things keep falling on me from the pit wall?
Jenson (Montreal 2011, as Lewis pushes him to the wall): What is he doing?

Don't forget Alonso, usually funnier:
Fernando (Bahrain 2012): All the time you have to leave a space.
Fernando (Valencia 2010): What position was he was and what position is he now? Andrea Stella? (Alonso's race engineer): He was 2nd and he is 2nd, that is really unfair.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:20 am 

Johnston wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Thats what I thought.

The only relevant bit I can find in either the Sporting or Technical Regulations is (in Tech):

Quote:
8.7 Driver radio :
Other than authorised connections to the FIA ECU, any voice radio communication system between car and pits must be stand‐alone and must not transmit or receive other data. All such communications must be open and accessible to both the FIA and broadcasters.

Nothing about language used, perhaps they could relook at this for transparency.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:13 am 

f1madman wrote:

At least that's what I think happened.

Yes they fell for it :lol: :lol:

Hamilton was saying in the build-up to Quali that he thought the tyres could do 30+ laps as he managed 31 on the Friday so one stopping was an option. But after the race he said there was no way he could have one stopped :D Mind games people, mind games and it worked this time in his favour.

In the end even if Alonso had covered his pit stop Hamilton had the better pace and would have won. The only difference wold have been that Alonso could have come second and would have still been leading the championship.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:54 am 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
Johnston wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Thats what I thought.

The only relevant bit I can find in either the Sporting or Technical Regulations is (in Tech):

Quote:
8.7 Driver radio :
Other than authorised connections to the FIA ECU, any voice radio communication system between car and pits must be stand‐alone and must not transmit or receive other data. All such communications must be open and accessible to both the FIA and broadcasters.

Nothing about language used, perhaps they could relook at this for transparency.

The exact same quote I used in my thread In the old forum. That's why I asked why only English was spoken.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:41 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:

If there's such a thing in the regulations, it's absurd.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:52 pm 

ReservoirDog wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Not really. If it's to makesure no cheating is going on. Charlie Whiting and the stewards speak english.

Saying it's absurd. What do you think that the French version of documents including homologation papers takes precedence over the English ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:55 pm 

ReservoirDog wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Why absurd? If they are allowed to speak in any language, each team would probably create its own language for obvious reasons. At least this way the worst we have is 'plan a' and 'plan b' which we can live with. First and foremost the sport exists for the fans and listening in to team speak just adds to the experience. Seeing as though english is the most widely spoken language then the whole thing makes perfect sense to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:56 pm 

Alonso and the Ferrari engineers went to the trouble of learning another language ot two so they had a choice between English, Italian and Spanish.

Fair enough in my book.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:57 pm 

I couldn't really tell and my italian is really bad but I think he said "Abbiamo dieci secondi" which means "we have 10 seconds".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:06 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
This is not at all uncommon, FOM just don't usually broadcast it so we don't hear it. Apparently Ferrari in particular use Italian and Spanish a lot.

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:00 pm 

There is no regulation about it and it happens a lot

The reason everybody talk in english over ferrari's radio is because there are non-italian mother tongue engineers like Rob Smedley who could be confused

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:03 pm 

John_Silver wrote:

The reason everybody talk in english over ferrari's radio is because there are non-italian mother tongue engineers like Rob Smedley who could be confused

Smedley speaks Italian.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:19 pm 

Its hardly going to be secret if some people are speaking in Spanish or Italian! Infact it just requires the efforts of one or two translators for each team. Spanish and Italian are not languages recently made up, that no one has managed to work out yet!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:53 pm 

RunningMan wrote:
John_Silver wrote:

Smedley speaks Italian.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:57 pm 

f1madman wrote:
Ferrari to Alonso in Spanish Italian

I would really like to learn Spanish Italian. Because i already speak Spanish and a little bit of Italian.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:59 pm 

I find it amazing drivers like Alonso or anyone else on the grid to have to speak in a secondary language whilst driving. I know they're pretty much fluent in English but must take an amazing amount of brain-power to speak a foreign language whilst concentrating for 70 odd laps

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:00 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
RunningMan wrote:
John_Silver wrote:

Smedley speaks Italian.

That is the reason teams tend to speak English though, regardless of Smedley's linguistic skills.

I don't know why this is causing such a fuss. It's always been common knowledge that other languages are used under certain circumstances. Particualarly by Ferrari who are probably the only team for whom a language other than English is the most commonly spoken amongst the mechanics and staff.

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:18 pm 

English is not the only language in the world, neither is it the most spoken language either. Teams should be free to say whatever they want. Last weekend wasn't the first time that Ferrari spoke Spanish and Italian over the radio, they've done it in the past as well.

I think it would actually be beneficial for FOM to play the team radio regardless of language, there's bound to be an F1 fan somewhere in the world that would understand what they are saying. It would be better for us to get something, rather than nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:49 pm 

There's no requirement in the regs to speak only English. The purpose of the radio monitoring is predominantly to allow retrospective analysis in case of any issues, like when Hamilton got burned for the overtake debacle under a yellow flag.

Sometimes, as anyone who speaks more than one language can tell you, it is much easier to express yourself in your native tongue especially under pressure or when discussing technicalities. Even if you are very fluent in English, mother tongue can be best.

If other teams want to know what is being said, then it isn't rocket science to have an Italian or Spanish speaker listening in. If Kobayashi is ever a WDC contender, expect Ferrari to get a Japanese speaker on the pit wall.

I may be wrong about - Alonso

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:52 pm 

RunningMan wrote:
John_Silver wrote:

Smedley speaks Italian.

I love the idea of Italian spoken in a broad northern accent...

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:46 pm 

I might be mistaken here, but I seem to recall reading that the teams have been known to use flowery language to avoid their transmissions being selected for broadcast:

"Lewis, you need to start f&^*^king saving some f%&$*king fuel now."

Presumably effective ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:45 pm 

Johnston wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Not really. If it's to makesure no cheating is going on. Charlie Whiting and the stewards speak english.

Saying it's absurd. What do you think that the French version of documents including homologation papers takes precedence over the English ones.

Seeing as the FIA is French I'd say it'd make perfect sense.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:57 am 

I bet there's some french going on down at Marussia. Pic's english, when I've heard it, ain't so hot ;)

And hey, I've even heard Sebastian speaking italian on the radio when he was at STR.

Doesn't DC always remind us that the drivers can send nearly every message necessary back to their engineers with dials and buttons on the steering wheel anyway? I like that there is some game playing on the radio. I wish they'd give us more! (in any language)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:46 am 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
chrcoluk wrote:

That's because they always have something funny (or occasionally interesting) to give us:
Lewis (Monaco 2012): Why do things keep falling on me from the pit wall?
Jenson (Montreal 2011, as Lewis pushes him to the wall): What is he doing?

Don't forget Alonso, usually funnier:
Fernando (Bahrain 2012): All the time you have to leave a space.
Fernando (Valencia 2010): What position was he was and what position is he now? Andrea Stella? (Alonso's race engineer): He was 2nd and he is 2nd, that is really unfair.

Alonso is unintentionally funny though, it's amusing to hear him whine when things go wrong for him.

Swiss1 wrote:
Yes they fell for it :lol: :lol:

Hamilton was saying in the build-up to Quali that he thought the tyres could do 30+ laps as he managed 31 on the Friday so one stopping was an option. But after the race he said there was no way he could have one stopped :D Mind games people, mind games and it worked this time in his favour.

In the end even if Alonso had covered his pit stop Hamilton had the better pace and would have won. The only difference wold have been that Alonso could have come second and would have still been leading the championship.

Sounded more like Hamilton didn't trust his team to be honest, don't forget they cost him a place when Vettel was in the pits last time out.

hd23 wrote:
English is not the only language in the world, neither is it the most spoken language either. Teams should be free to say whatever they want. Last weekend wasn't the first time that Ferrari spoke Spanish and Italian over the radio, they've done it in the past as well.

I think it would actually be beneficial for FOM to play the team radio regardless of language, there's bound to be an F1 fan somewhere in the world that would understand what they are saying. It would be better for us to get something, rather than nothing.

It is the most international language however, and F1 is nothing if not international.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:48 am 

They should go further and invent their own code words and psuedo language.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:01 am 

So, was a translation ever produced for this incident? Anywhere? :?: