planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fernando's fruits
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:24 pm 

Fernando Alonso has never been more effective. If there's a gap, he finds it; if there's an opportunity, he takes it; if it can be done, he does it. Although it is unfair and illogical to say that where Ferrari fall short, Fernando makes up the difference, the difference he makes is nevertheless plain to see and, certainly, not once in 2012 has Fernando been found lacking. Rather, Ferrari are infused with a savvy and focus that look to be a hallmark of Fernando's comprehensive and inscrutable commitment. There is perhaps no better illustration of this than the F2012 itself - once a recalcitrant and confounding drama of conflicting dynamic characteristics, now the development triumph of the season. Would even Ferrari's redoubted resources of engineering expertise have been able to turn so much stagnant water into wine were it not for the contribution and execution of their resident WDC? Would the Scuderia's race team have performed and continue to perform seeming miracles of alchemy with a chassis just barely capable were it not for the imperforate capabilities of their master pilot? If the best efforts from the other side of the garage are anything to go by, the answer has to be no.

Alonso has long been recognised as a multidisciplined driver, and often likened to Michael Schumacher in that regard. But to me at least, any comparison beyond that has always seemed an underappreciation of Michael at the height of his powers. Until now. Because where Alonso's prodigious talents would invariably occasion brilliance, now he relentlessly and failingly conjures unlikely results at every turn. Now, he really does look like Schumacher.

Why the step up? What has given rise to this fruition? Why and how has Alonso upped his game?

Fernando's pole in Hockenheim represents just the latest coup, his continued place at the top of the leaderboard not just the fruits of four months' toil but a flowering of his mastery at every aspect of driving - from technical expertise and adaptability, to leadership and decision-making, to skill and versatility on track. And while his and Ferrari's resurgence are inseparably remarkable, one wonders at the conditions that have allowed for Alonso's peak in form. He's now comfortable and established at Ferrari; his approach is now reflected in the practices of as well as the design and development direction at Maranello; both Ferrari and Alonso are now in a period of growth as they regroup and emerge from previous disappointment. But all of this could have been said in 2011, and ultimately does little to explain how a driver who most thought couldn't get any better has gone and done just that.

Post subject: Re: Fernando's fruits
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:37 pm 

lol his fruits

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:17 pm 

Guia wrote:
Fernando Alonso has never been more effective. If there's a gap, he finds it; if there's an opportunity, he takes it; if it can be done, he does it. Although it is unfair and illogical to say that where Ferrari fall short, Fernando makes up the difference, the difference he makes is nevertheless plain to see and, certainly, not once in 2012 has Fernando been found lacking. Rather, Ferrari are infused with a savvy and focus that look to be a hallmark of Fernando's comprehensive and inscrutable commitment. There is perhaps no better illustration of this than the F2012 itself - once a recalcitrant and confounding drama of conflicting dynamic characteristics, now the development triumph of the season. Would even Ferrari's redoubted resources of engineering expertise have been able to turn so much stagnant water into wine were it not for the contribution and execution of their resident WDC? Would the Scuderia's race team have performed and continue to perform seeming miracles of alchemy with a chassis just barely capable were it not for the imperforate capabilities of their master pilot? If the best efforts from the other side of the garage are anything to go by, the answer has to be no.

Alonso has long been recognised as a multidisciplined driver, and often likened to Michael Schumacher in that regard. But to me at least, any comparison beyond that has always seemed an underappreciation of Michael at the height of his powers. Until now. Because where Alonso's prodigious talents would invariably occasion brilliance, now he relentlessly and failingly conjures unlikely results at every turn. Now, he really does look like Schumacher.

Why the step up? What has given rise to this fruition? Why and how has Alonso upped his game?

Fernando's pole in Hockenheim represents just the latest coup, his continued place at the top of the leaderboard not just the fruits of four months' toil but a flowering of his mastery at every aspect of driving - from technical expertise and adaptability, to leadership and decision-making, to skill and versatility on track. And while his and Ferrari's resurgence are inseparably remarkable, one wonders at the conditions that have allowed for Alonso's peak in form. He's now comfortable and established at Ferrari; his approach is now reflected in the practices of as well as the design and development direction at Maranello; both Ferrari and Alonso are now in a period of growth as they regroup and emerge from previous disappointment. But all of this could have been said in 2011, and ultimately does little to explain how a driver who most thought couldn't get any better has gone and done just that.

masterpiece Guia :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:29 pm 

Today was just another piece of beautiful driving by the Spaniard, he just does not put a foot wrong.

I'm guessing the Ferrari is right about on pace by now, although it did seem impossible for Fernando to build a gap on Vettel or Button. I sure hope he is able to fight for this title right until the very end!

Never have I seen a driver who took every opportunity he got in a way Fred does, my hat goes off to you sir.

Thank you for the great read Guia, although I do realise there's a lot of fans of Fernando on this board, there is not always as much appreciation here as there should be in my opinion!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:32 pm 

I haven't rated him over the past few years but this year he defo deserves the world championship, just running rings round the rest in a lesser car.

Massa needs to go and they need to get Kimi back in Ferrari, he seems like the best number 2 driver atm, always there, always scoring points and hasn't crashed the car this season so he is cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:35 pm 

Today it was great thing to watch race like this.
Even his engineer was worried at the beginning when Vettel began to close in and the radio message which came from Alonso was fantastic to hear which roughly translates as "Relax, I have it under control"
This was not even walk in the park victory. Under attack on almost all laps from behind. But he made beautiful use of backmarkers as defensive tool in DRS area. Perfect timing, perfect passing of backmarkers. It was truly flawless race today from him. Great job by pit wall as well with pitstop timing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:37 pm 

Miffy wrote:
I haven't rated him over the past few years but this year he defo deserves the world championship, just running rings round the rest in a lesser car.

Massa needs to go and they need to get Kimi back in Ferrari, he seems like the best number 2 driver atm, always there, always scoring points and hasn't crashed the car this season so he is cheap.

Kimi won't play no 2. And I doubt he'd want to come back to Ferrari either. He is top dog in Lotus.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:38 pm 

Nice eloquent appraisal of the man, and indeed the team .

I've not seen the scuderia so dedicated and committed since the MS/Todt/Brawn/Byrne era.

Could we be heading for a new Ferrari dominance?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:48 pm 

What impresses me is he keeps his nerve all the time now. He didn't used to do that.

If Ferrari had been a little smarter in a couple of races he'd be ahead by enough to DNF in 2 races while his nearest rival won, and still be ahead. And that in a car that's never been the fastest.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:55 pm 

Fernando's championship to lose, I've been saying this since lord knows when! Great great drive!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:59 pm 

I think Alonso is now in the perfect mental state which he wasn't always in since 2007. In this situation he is almost unbeatable, even Michael Schumacher in his prime would be struggling to overcome him imo. Although he was still great in 2007 onwards in that time I think his ultimate potential was only there more in flashes like his finish to 2008 and 2010 rather than the consistent brilliance he is currently providing all season and the type that he used so well to win his current titles.

I think the new style F1 has made him even more effective. I would argue he did a great performance in 2011 as well but this year with what some would call a lottery he is able to stand out even more. He is always able to get the maximum from the car, he doesn't have off days. And with such variable races his race craft shines through a lot more now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:43 pm 

Miffy wrote:

Even though Kimi has just re-entered the sport after a short break I don't think he will be exactly cheap.
I have found Alonso to be the best driver this season, am I right in thinking he has scored at 22 consecutive grand prix? (sure I heard that on sky coverage), and scoring at every race in what people call the 'silly season' shows what immense form Alonso is on, if he keeps going like this he fully deserves the WDC this year.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:47 pm 

It's a fine time to be an Alonso fan. I've been part of the team fighting the fires since 2007, our hard work is finally proving to not be in vain.

Been watching since 1996. Don't even try and tell me I'm blinkered or a fanboy etc. but Alonso IS the best I've ever seen. And for me there's no question. I'm just glad that the proof is finally unveiling itself.

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:50 pm 

Nice post, although I totally agree you are missing a few things on why he is doing so well.

But I wont take nothing away from his Win I just dont believe in writing a huge paragraph about him without including a few other facts.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:53 pm 

mcdo wrote:
It's a fine time to be an Alonso fan. I've been part of the team fighting the fires since 2007, our hard work is finally proving to not be in vain.

Been watching since 1996. Don't even try and tell me I'm blinkered or a fanboy etc. but Alonso IS the best I've ever seen. And for me there's no question. I'm just glad that the proof is finally unveiling itself.
I've been watching since the same time and I'm not sure I'd say he's definitely the best I've seen in that time, Schumi and Mika Hakkinen were also outstanding drivers. But I think he's shown that he's the best driver of this era.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:08 pm 

lonix2011 wrote:
Nice post, although I totally agree you are missing a few things on why he is doing so well.

But I wont take nothing away from his Win I just dont believe in writing a huge paragraph about him without including a few other facts.

What other facts about today's performance?

Fair enough if you reference the wet quali. For some reason the Ferrari is a monster in the wet. So yes, I believe Fernando wouldn't have been on pole without the rain.

But aside from that there where no other factors. The Alonso/Ferrari combination was the best today. After all it was a straightforward race. No rain. No Safety Cars. No Vettel car problems.
Vettel was just beaten, fair and square.

And it's generally accepeted that the Red Bull is the best car on the grid. Which only adds to the praise that Alonso is receiving.

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:13 pm 

Lovely post Guia :thumbup: You said everything that needed to be said, and just how it needed to be said :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:18 pm 

This year's Pirellis have helped Alonso enormously. Driver input seems to be a much more important factor this year, and this has allowed Alonso's brilliance to really shine through.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:20 pm 

lonix2011 wrote:

You make that statement, and then do not offer these other "FACTS"?
Makes your post somewhat meaningless, does it not?
:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:35 pm 

j man wrote:
This year's Pirellis have helped Alonso enormously.

Just like the Michelins used to.

It's all about being able to adapt. And there are none more able than Fernando.

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:35 pm 

Very well put :thumbup: :thumbup:

Forza Alonso

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:42 pm 

Alonso is truly brilliant, and having watched since the mid-nineties, I would happily consider him the best driver I've watched in that time. Literally - superior to all others. He's had certain years better than others, but overall the man has been ridiculously good.

I'm a Webber fan first and foremost, but Alonso ranks a close second and I would be very disappointed not to see him win (at least) one more world championship.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:50 pm 

Ferrari team publishes the radio communication around lap 62

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 8272_n.jpg

Translate: (something like..):

" i know it's not easy but try to keep calm, here everything is fine "

8O Quite a leader 8O

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:55 pm 

I wouldn't say a great race from Alonso, but zero mistakes and made the best of the luck he had in qualy. Ferrari have had a shed load of luck this season and Alonso has returned that with points impeccably. I don't believe Ferrari will win the WDC this year because the car is too slow compared to RBR and McLaren. Keep getting the wet interfere with races and that may be another matter. The opposition have little to lose when it comes to squaring up to Alonso in any 50/50 situation, Alonso will back off. If he can find speed and keep himself out of these situations he stands a chance, but slower is always going to run into these problems.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:12 pm 

mabazza wrote:
I wouldn't say a great race from Alonso, but zero mistakes and made the best of the luck he had in qualy. Ferrari have had a shed load of luck this season and Alonso has returned that with points impeccably. I don't believe Ferrari will win the WDC this year because the car is too slow compared to RBR and McLaren. Keep getting the wet interfere with races and that may be another matter. The opposition have little to lose when it comes to squaring up to Alonso in any 50/50 situation, Alonso will back off. If he can find speed and keep himself out of these situations he stands a chance, but slower is always going to run into these problems.

So keeping a Red Bull and McLaren behind, both of which you accept to be faster, is not a great effort ? They got very close a couple of times and they were generally always close behind. I thought it was a great defense from Alonso.

I do agree that Ferrari still may not be favorite for the WDC. In the dry the Red Bull always seems quicker and with 10 races still to go, they can slowly eat into his lead. But I also think its just a 3 way battle from this stage onwards. Hami and Kimi have dropped out of contention.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:23 pm 

callMEcrazy wrote:
mabazza wrote:

So keeping a Red Bull and McLaren behind, both of which you accept to be faster, is not a great effort ? They got very close a couple of times and they were generally always close behind. I thought it was a great defense from Alonso.

I do agree that Ferrari still may not be favorite for the WDC. In the dry the Red Bull always seems quicker and with 10 races still to go, they can slowly eat into his lead. But I also think its just a 3 way battle from this stage onwards. Hami and Kimi have dropped out of contention.

During the race it was clear Button was faster, yet insufficient to pass Alonso. Vettel loses KERS and cannot mount a further challenge. Take the pace of the RBR and McLarens into a dry qualy and all of a sudden Alonso has little chance of the win. I don't begrudge Alonso this luck because he is the best driver on the grid currently, albeit very lucky. It's too early to say who has dropped out of contention but it does make those drivers feel they have little to lose when racing with Alonso. Alonso has a lot to lose the others far less. A bad place to be with a slower car.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:03 pm 

I want to know how he was always able to avoid being caught in the DRS zone. He obviously had it sussed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:04 pm 

mabazza wrote:

During the race it was clear Button was faster, yet insufficient to pass Alonso. Vettel loses KERS and cannot mount a further challenge. Take the pace of the RBR and McLarens into a dry qualy and all of a sudden Alonso has little chance of the win. I don't begrudge Alonso this luck because he is the best driver on the grid currently, albeit very lucky. It's too early to say who has dropped out of contention but it does make those drivers feel they have little to lose when racing with Alonso. Alonso has a lot to lose the others far less. A bad place to be with a slower car.

Vettel didnt lose KERS.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:09 pm 

Mint wrote:
I want to know how he was always able to avoid being caught in the DRS zone. He obviously had it sussed.

Well, Pete Windsor wrote an article on it that you can find on his website, just Google peter windsor.

Basically what Alonso did was drive the last 2 corners, the double right really well, do the same with the first corner and get a really good exit off turn 3. The McLaren was faster in all the other slow speed stuff but those were the corners were Alonso was able to eek out the extra tenth or too that he needed.

Forza Alonso

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:12 pm 

Mint wrote:

Quote:
It came on the only sections of Hockenheim worthy of the description “decent corners”: the last two right-handers of the lap and then Turn One – the quick right-hander followed by a shortish straight. If Fernando could be perfect here for lap after closing lap then maybe he could generate enough space to protect himself from DRS detection out of the hairpin. The McLaren would be better in and out of the slow stuff on the other parts of the lap; no question about that. The Ferrari is still no MP4-27 or RB7 – not when it comes to grip vs balance vs traction. On the quicker corners, though, Fernando could impart some magic.
Avoid the mirrors out of the second hairpin and into the third one. Use all the road and perhaps a fraction more. And then settle into those last two right-handers. Run a little wide in the middle if necessary. Fernando could manipulate the weight transfer, there, between the two corners, with a subtle nudge to create torque twist. Minimise load for a clean run out of the last corner. Into Turn One: again create that weight shift with an early turn-in, thus minimizing the amount of steering required mid-corner and leaving him free to adjust brake and throttle according to bumps, or the exit kerbs. Behind, Jenson would be doing what he always does superbly well – turning in late, line-locking the McLaren into a soft apex/early power application zone, hitting a high minimum speed – but then paying a penalty with more load on exit. The Ferrari, “lighter” from mid-corner to exit, would gain advantage as Fernando straightened out. In freeze-frame it was all too clear: Fernando was turning-in to One perhaps three kerb stripes earlier than Jenson’s McLaren.

http://peterwindsor.com/2012/07/22/worl ... -fernando/

Could not have explained it any better.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:01 pm 

Have struggled to support alonso since the incidents with Mclaren in 2007 where his attitude was that he was bigger than the team and the sport, I have seen a huge improvement in him recently, he has a new found maturity on and off the track and I really believe that he has this championship in the bag and deservedly so! Although I'm not his biggest fan I believe he has already earned the f1 title this year!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:35 pm 

Dr664 wrote:
Have struggled to support alonso since the incidents with Mclaren in 2007 where his attitude was that he was bigger than the team and the sport, I have seen a huge improvement in him recently, he has a new found maturity on and off the track and I really believe that he has this championship in the bag and deservedly so! Although I'm not his biggest fan I believe he has already earned the f1 title this year!

Still buying that line, huh? Not all of the problems at McLaren in 2007 were solely of Alonso's doing, but few seem willing to accept that. As for the maturity, it is not "new found"...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:42 am 

Miffy wrote:

:lol: Ha. It's funny, because you said Kimi and Cheap in the same sentence.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:45 am 

Blake wrote:
Dr664 wrote:

Still buying that line, huh? Not all of the problems at McLaren in 2007 were solely of Alonso's doing, but few seem willing to accept that. As for the maturity, it is not "new found"...

As a young double world champion he was a little big headed was all I was trying to say, somewhat rightfully so, I never said he was deserved of all criticism thrown at him but he was the first one to declare he brought a second and a half to the team, that said I like the way he doesn't allow himself to get too caught up in the politics of f1 now and shows a superb display of racing everytime he goes out to perform, he is a legendary driver in the making!
I'd also add that both Lewis and Sebastian have had that stage of being bigger than the team, I think it's probably hard not to feel that way when they have achieved all they have at such a young age!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:32 am 

Guia wrote:

Guia, this is one of the best pieces of prose I have read. Truly a masterpiece. And I agree with it 100%.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:25 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Guia, this is one of the best pieces of prose I have read. Truly a masterpiece. And I agree with it 100%.

Hard to argue with Guia on this . Excellent post, Guia... Wish I could have done as well.
:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:18 am 

callMEcrazy wrote:
mabazza wrote:

Not so fast. Which I think plays in Alonso's advantage. The more Win challengers the better for him so he can keep his gap to the rest.

The other 3 teams will surely take points from each other. I think Kimi will at least get a win this year, Lewis will surely get another one, Same goes for Vettel and Webber and of course Button. That's without counting the odd win here or there form the other drivers/teams which is a high possibility this year. Which all bodes well for Alonso

If he had one clear contender then he should be worried, but that's not the case

Alonso's only enemy now is reliability. He only needs to get podiums (not as easy as it sounds) and he'll win it this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:54 am 

Leen26 wrote:
callMEcrazy wrote:
mabazza wrote:

Not so fast. Which I think plays in Alonso's advantage. The more Win challengers the better for him so he can keep his gap to the rest.

The other 3 teams will surely take points from each other. I think Kimi will at least get a win this year, Lewis will surely get another one, Same goes for Vettel and Webber and of course Button. That's without counting the odd win here or there form the other drivers/teams which is a high possibility this year. Which all bodes well for Alonso

If he had one clear contender then he should be worried, but that's not the case

Alonso's only enemy now is reliability. He only needs to get podiums (not as easy as it sounds) and he'll win it this year.

Yes it'll definitely help Alonso if Hami/Kimi/JB starts challenging the Bulls, even if that means they take points away from him as well. If they slow everyone down in the championship run that helps Alonso keep his lead. The bottom line is that Bulls can't be allowed to win too many races. If they don't Alonso doesn't have to either. I was really hoping yesterday that one of them would come up and disturb Vettel. Good old JB read my mind and see what happened : 20s penalty ! Some more of that action please !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:57 am 

callMEcrazy wrote:
Leen26 wrote:
callMEcrazy wrote:
mabazza wrote:

Yes it'll definitely help Alonso if Hami/Kimi/JB starts challenging the Bulls, even if that means they take points away from him as well. If they slow everyone down in the championship run that helps Alonso keep his lead. The bottom line is that Bulls can't be allowed to win too many races. If they don't Alonso doesn't have to either. I was really hoping yesterday that one of them would come up and disturb Vettel. Good old JB read my mind and see what happened : 20s penalty ! Some more of that action please !

Yes more of that please, and some DNFs for Alonso while you're at it (2 of them to be precise)

Note: I'm joking, I don't want someone reporting me to the mods "he's bashing Alonso"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:17 am 

Leen26 wrote:
callMEcrazy wrote:
mabazza wrote:

Nah, not going to be enough. 34 points is not enough. Even likes of Kimi are now just 50 points behind. Ferrari still does not have the ultimate pace. Yesterday it was racer's victory, not the car's. The lines Alonso took, the way he turned for last 2 and first corner of the circuit to open up that gap, the way he used backmarkers, the way he positioned his car, that is what took him to the victory and that is why it is one of his best ever. Both McLaren and RedBull are still faster. Renault is still faster in dry. The traction RedBull and McLarens had from slow corner was way better than what Ferrari has. It was clear to see how those 2 cars were accelerating out of corner.

To win championship, Ferrari must improve and they know it. Both Alonso and Domenicali know it and have gone on record to say so. I would say, they need minimum 2 more victories to bag the championship. Ideally 3. They cant win it by just taking podiums at this point. Its not in the bag and no matter how much Alonso deserves the title, it is not yet his. Not by a long shot. If he has say 50+ points lead going into last 4 races, then you can say it is in bag for Alonso as no way he will let that kind of advantage go to waste. But not yet. Not even close.