planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:39 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:51 am 

Videos - Montoya escapes fireball crash at Daytona 500 -http://www.formula1onlive.com/2012/02/videos-montoya-on-fireball-crash-at.html

Juan Pablo Montoya breaks something as he enters turn 3, and plows right into a jet dryer, setting off a collosal fireball that lasted for a good while. This is probably the craziest speedweeks of all time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:57 am 

Saw this on Sky News who reported that he was left feeling dazed. He certainly looked it, ambling about like he'd misplaced his front door key.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:59 am 

Why do they have gallons of fuel circling the track? Seems like it was an accident waiting to happen.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:59 am 

on a slightly unrelated note. The national race on saturday was amazing. Especially the finnish.
Who won the 500?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:02 pm 

Yeah that was BIZARRE. Glad Montoya and the jet truck driver are ok, though JPM did look dazed when he first got out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:04 pm 

Hes a lucky boy after that one most strange.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:22 pm 

One of the oddest things I've ever seen. Certainly wasn't his fault, though. Just a weird conglomeration of events that led to the collision. I'm glad he was sideways when he struck that truck, though. Had he gone straight in, it could have been REAL bad. His car was absolutely destroyed, and the new cup cars are extremely well-built and safe cars.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:39 pm 

amazing nobody was killed, saw it this morning 8O

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:45 pm 

Montoya and the jet drier driver were extremely lucky... that could have been so much worse.

What an amazing turn of events... Montoya racing to catch up with the field, Jet Driers high on the track cleaning up during a caution...and something breaks on Montoya's car at just that moment and pushes him up the track at that very spot???
8O

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:51 pm 

There was a clip on the old forum, 8 minutes around the crash. I didnt have sound but they highlighted something on his car at the pitstop, and looks like that could have been a factor.

Crazy that they allow cars and that Jet machine on the track at the same time.

And the reason they have the Jet machine? Safety lol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:57 pm 

He (Montoya) was so lucky his car didn´t get wedged under that thing!!!!

I never realised they did that, a mobile jet engine with aviation fuel on a racetrack whilst race cars are circulating 8O

They have to stop that practice surely, it´s just not safe!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:09 pm 

I actually had to look up what a Jet Dryer was...why would you have this thing on track when the cars were there?

The idea I came up with after Silverstone was much safer...it just involved a big fan, no aviation fuel in sight! :D To be fair, I had no idea anyone else had even tried to make a track-drying vehicle...at least mine wouldn't explode!
:-P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:10 pm 

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

I never realised they did that, a mobile jet engine with aviation fuel on a racetrack whilst race cars are circulating 8O

I doubt they'll stop it, but I can see them adding some sort of protective roll cage to the outside of them now!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:25 pm 

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Hi, HKP... long time no see.

I don't think you will see NASCAR stop the use of the Jet Driers, you have to remember that they have a different set of circumstances than those of road racing. It is imperative that the track be dry for the cars. This was such a freak incident, a freak set of circumstances, I just don't see them get in a panic over it. What we might see that they would force cars to slow dramatically when passing safety equipment rather than allowing them to race around the track to catch up with the field as Montoya was doing.???

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:43 pm 

Blake wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Hi, HKP... long time no see.

I don't think you will see NASCAR stop the use of the Jet Driers, you have to remember that they have a different set of circumstances than those of road racing. It is imperative that the track be dry for the cars. This was such a freak incident, a freak set of circumstances, I just don't see them get in a panic over it. What we might see that they would force cars to slow dramatically when passing safety equipment rather than allowing them to race around the track to catch up with the field as Montoya was doing.???

But this was during the middle of a caution in the race when the track wasnt even wet, why the need for a jet dryer then??

#3 - Daniel Ricciardo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:47 pm 

RocketSkates wrote:

But this was during the middle of a caution in the race when the track wasnt even wet, why the need for a jet dryer then??

It doubles up as a road sweeper I believe.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:48 pm 

Johnston wrote:
RocketSkates wrote:

It doubles up as a road sweeper I believe.

Someone lend them some money to go hire a dedicated road sweeper for next time... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:51 pm 

I can just see the headlines now:
"Duane Barmes, the jet-dryer truck driver, has filed a lawsuit against NASCAR, Ganassi, Montoya, and 67 others involved. His lawyer is claiming negligence for letting Montoya back on track with a broken car. ;) "

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:55 pm 

This was from another forum

"Chances of hitting the safety truck under caution?.. Juan in a million"

:D :lol:

#3 - Daniel Ricciardo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:56 pm 

Isn't it a brilliant idea to have jet drier on track during caution. Well done Nascar, Well done. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:21 pm 

Seanie wrote:
Why do they have gallons of fuel circling the track? Seems like it was an accident waiting to happen.....

I call it safety fail. There was only place for one car on track, Montoya or that jet jet dryer, not both.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:26 pm 

excuse me if I am wrong, but was this incident down to the absurdity of allowing people to "catch up" whilst under caution?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:30 pm 

matzy wrote:
excuse me if I am wrong, but was this incident down to the absurdity of allowing people to "catch up" whilst under caution?

I would say more down to letting a car with a known but undiagnosed mechanical fault back on track.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:59 pm 

Glad he is ok after that. He looks pudgy though :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:37 pm 

Someone should have realised a truck full of jet fuel is not safe on a track with racing cars. Just saying.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:19 pm 
The use of jet dryers on tracks has been used by NASCAR for many years, without major incident. Basically a gas turbine is towed or carried behind a truck to blow away debris and moisture from the track.

The idea is to have some super powerful blower, and a gas turbine fits that description very well. But of course, it requires lots of fuel. Now, jet fuel is basically low grade kerosene, so although it does burn, it is safer than pump gas. One additional drawback with gas turbine dryers is that they leave a slight kerosene residue on the track, no much, but some drivers do complain about the slippery track after one of those sessions.

The big race was scheduled for Sunday afternoon, but rain postponed it until Monday night. Trust me, NASCAR really hates it when their schedule slips, and they do everything possible to get the race completed as soon as possible. The worst thing as far as contractual agreements and fan expectations goes is to not meet the schedule.

In NASCAR, you are scored down to last place, and it's ultra important to get out on track and score as many points as possible. Remember, last year's title chase ended in a tie, the winner going to more wins. That's how important just one point is. So even if you are crashed out and 40th in scoring, the team will fix the car and get you back out on track in order to score just a few more points. The cars are mainly steel, so the parts tend to bend rather than shatter, as in the case of Formula One carbon fiber. The car may drive like a pig, but as long as it's making up a few points, that's what matters.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:14 pm 

Montoya is getting killed State side... how on earth did he manage that?! Yes, clearly the back end gave out but for him to be flooring it like that knowing the back was messed up, and there was no need to rush around those huge trucks as cautions last forever in NASCAR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:28 pm 

Hakkattack wrote:
Montoya is getting killed State side... how on earth did he manage that?! Yes, clearly the back end gave out but for him to be flooring it like that knowing the back was messed up, and there was no need to rush around those huge trucks as cautions last forever in NASCAR

He didn't know "the back was messed up." He pitted, then told them there was a problem, so pitted again under the caution, the team had a look at the car, and said they couldn't see anything wrong, so he went back out. He was going so fast to catch up to the back of the pack before the restart, which is not only allowed, but what the drivers are expected to try and do.

You can clearly see sparks come out the back of his car just before it jerks to the right. Something clearly broke on the car. I'm no expert, but all the experts I've listened to about it seem pretty convinced that he had no control once the car broke. The only people saying it was his fault are the ones who know nothing about NASCAR, and the idiots who chant "spic" every week when he gets announced to the crowd.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RijhM_POPc&feature=youtu.be At 00:06 you can see sparks. Something must have broken at the rear of the car. Freaking weird though. Thankful no one was hurt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:35 pm 

xAtarigeekx wrote:
Hakkattack wrote:

He didn't know "the back was messed up." He pitted, then told them there was a problem, so pitted again under the caution, the team had a look at the car, and said they couldn't see anything wrong, so he went back out. He was going so fast to catch up to the back of the pack before the restart, which is not only allowed, but what the drivers are expected to try and do.

You can clearly see sparks come out the back of his car just before it jerks to the right. Something clearly broke on the car. I'm no expert, but all the experts I've listened to about it seem pretty convinced that he had no control once the car broke. The only people saying it was his fault are the ones who know nothing about NASCAR, and the idiots who chant "spic" every week when he gets announced to the crowd.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RijhM_POPc&feature=youtu.be At 00:06 you can see sparks. Something must have broken at the rear of the car. Freaking weird though. Thankful no one was hurt

I am not saying I agree I am just saying many people are questioning the situation.... I mean no one has ever seen anything like this in the 10,000 cautions they seem to have each year.. he could have backed off as he went by those trucks for a second knowing things were not right... he told them something was wrong and they had just worked on the back end for him

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:43 pm 

id say Montoya was very luck to walk from that.
forget the aero engine for now, that was a flat bed truck. Very strong in the direction to which it was hit.

See the front of JPMs car, it is destroyed.

Could have been much much worse that, espescially if his car had gone beneath the truck.

:uhoh:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:46 pm 

tamalon55 wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

I doubt they'll stop it, but I can see them adding some sort of protective roll cage to the outside of them now!

I'm sure they will over engineer it and add a jet fuel cell / bladder too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:54 pm 

Harry Hogge: All right. While we're still under a caution, I want you to go back out on that track and hit the pace car.
Cole Montoya: Hit the pace car?
Harry Hogge: Hit the pace car.
Cole Montoya: What for?
Harry Hogge: Because you've hit every other
goddamned thing out there, I want you to be perfect.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:08 pm 

I saw the crash live. something clearly broke on the car. But both Montoya and the driver of the jet dryer were ok

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:47 pm 

Khazrak134 wrote:
I saw the crash live. something clearly broke on the car. But both Montoya and the driver of the jet dryer were ok

This.

Could be gearbox or rear diff. But something has broke causing the backend to lock IMO.

For anyone who doubts and thinks Montoya turnipped up. It looks just like someone decided to pull the handbrake on without warning.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:55 pm 

Khazrak134 wrote:

This.

Could be gearbox or rear diff. But something has broke causing the backend to lock IMO.

For anyone who doubts and thinks Montoya turnipped up. It looks just like someone decided to pull the handbrake on without warning.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:53 pm 

RocketSkates wrote:
This was from another forum

"Chances of hitting the safety truck under caution?.. Juan in a million"

:D :lol:

Gotta love that! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:57 pm 

JPM is a lucky lucky boy. He was basically a passenger, and managed to not get trapped under the car, and his own car not to go up in flames more than it did. I wonder if they might be better served going through the pits and on the apron during cautions?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:05 pm 

That was pretty terrible. But I can't be the only one who doesn't follow Nascar that closely but immediately thought about using those turbines in F1. Sure, it might be a glorified leaf blower but in F1, the pinnacle of track-cleaning equipment is currently a broomstick. If and when Race Control in F1 is going to continue a cautious approach to wet weather racing, something like this might very well be looked into.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:29 am 

phfft... wrote:
That was pretty terrible. But I can't be the only one who doesn't follow Nascar that closely but immediately thought about using those turbines in F1. Sure, it might be a glorified leaf blower but in F1, the pinnacle of track-cleaning equipment is currently a broomstick. If and when Race Control in F1 is going to continue a cautious approach to wet weather racing, something like this might very well be looked into.

This. Wet races in F1 as we knew them even as late as 2008 will not be seen again under the current safety regime. The jet drier is a great piece of equipment, they just clearly hadn't thought about a NASCAR running into the fuel tank. Surely a solution could be engineered for that hazard?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:53 am 

hittheapex wrote:
phfft... wrote:

This. Wet races in F1 as we knew them even as late as 2008 will not be seen again under the current safety regime. The jet drier is a great piece of equipment, they just clearly hadn't thought about a NASCAR running into the fuel tank. Surely a solution could be engineered for that hazard?

Except it was used in the dry during a caution period.

Whether it was Juans fault or not, people shouldnt be blaming him even IF he was speeding. The fact that there is the potential for a car to crash into this jet engine with tons of fuel is dangerous. It should not be happening IMO. Fine, use it if its wet, but not when the safety cars out. Thats just asking for trouble

#3 - Daniel Ricciardo