planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:53 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 6587
RocketSkates wrote:
hittheapex wrote:
phfft... wrote:
That was pretty terrible. But I can't be the only one who doesn't follow Nascar that closely but immediately thought about using those turbines in F1. Sure, it might be a glorified leaf blower but in F1, the pinnacle of track-cleaning equipment is currently a broomstick. If and when Race Control in F1 is going to continue a cautious approach to wet weather racing, something like this might very well be looked into.


This. Wet races in F1 as we knew them even as late as 2008 will not be seen again under the current safety regime. The jet drier is a great piece of equipment, they just clearly hadn't thought about a NASCAR running into the fuel tank. Surely a solution could be engineered for that hazard?


Except it was used in the dry during a caution period.

Whether it was Juans fault or not, people shouldnt be blaming him even IF he was speeding. The fact that there is the potential for a car to crash into this jet engine with tons of fuel is dangerous. It should not be happening IMO. Fine, use it if its wet, but not when the safety cars out. Thats just asking for trouble


It was out because it doubles up as a road sweeper.

I believe from a previous post they use it to blow any debris down and off the track.

_________________
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:06 pm
Posts: 275
Yeah, at the very least they could use it under reds when the F1 cars are sitting in the pits or on the front straight anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:04 am
Posts: 1806
Johnston wrote:
RocketSkates wrote:
hittheapex wrote:
phfft... wrote:
That was pretty terrible. But I can't be the only one who doesn't follow Nascar that closely but immediately thought about using those turbines in F1. Sure, it might be a glorified leaf blower but in F1, the pinnacle of track-cleaning equipment is currently a broomstick. If and when Race Control in F1 is going to continue a cautious approach to wet weather racing, something like this might very well be looked into.


This. Wet races in F1 as we knew them even as late as 2008 will not be seen again under the current safety regime. The jet drier is a great piece of equipment, they just clearly hadn't thought about a NASCAR running into the fuel tank. Surely a solution could be engineered for that hazard?


Except it was used in the dry during a caution period.

Whether it was Juans fault or not, people shouldnt be blaming him even IF he was speeding. The fact that there is the potential for a car to crash into this jet engine with tons of fuel is dangerous. It should not be happening IMO. Fine, use it if its wet, but not when the safety cars out. Thats just asking for trouble


It was out because it doubles up as a road sweeper.

I believe from a previous post they use it to blow any debris down and off the track.


I dont think anyone has a problem with the use of this Jet drier for whatever purpose. The problem is having cars and jet drier on track at the same time where cars are zooming past it. It is extremely high risk environment which is artificially created due to the fact that they use this thing with cars on track. It was accident waiting to happen. Does not matter if this has been done for ages and nothing happened till now.
I think its about time NASCAR has proper look at the protocols they follow as far as safety is concerned. (And Indy as well).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:16 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Belgium
funkymonkey wrote:
Johnston wrote:
RocketSkates wrote:
hittheapex wrote:
phfft... wrote:
That was pretty terrible. But I can't be the only one who doesn't follow Nascar that closely but immediately thought about using those turbines in F1. Sure, it might be a glorified leaf blower but in F1, the pinnacle of track-cleaning equipment is currently a broomstick. If and when Race Control in F1 is going to continue a cautious approach to wet weather racing, something like this might very well be looked into.


This. Wet races in F1 as we knew them even as late as 2008 will not be seen again under the current safety regime. The jet drier is a great piece of equipment, they just clearly hadn't thought about a NASCAR running into the fuel tank. Surely a solution could be engineered for that hazard?


Except it was used in the dry during a caution period.

Whether it was Juans fault or not, people shouldnt be blaming him even IF he was speeding. The fact that there is the potential for a car to crash into this jet engine with tons of fuel is dangerous. It should not be happening IMO. Fine, use it if its wet, but not when the safety cars out. Thats just asking for trouble


It was out because it doubles up as a road sweeper.

I believe from a previous post they use it to blow any debris down and off the track.


I dont think anyone has a problem with the use of this Jet drier for whatever purpose. The problem is having cars and jet drier on track at the same time where cars are zooming past it. It is extremely high risk environment which is artificially created due to the fact that they use this thing with cars on track. It was accident waiting to happen. Does not matter if this has been done for ages and nothing happened till now.
I think its about time NASCAR has proper look at the protocols they follow as far as safety is concerned. (And Indy as well).


I agree with you funky. I don't know much about Nascar but I already thoght of this jet drier thing while the race is still going on as dangerous and also kinda stupid. But than again this kind of racing I think of stupidly dangerous in itself.

_________________
F1 fan since 1989
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 6587
Is it any worse than marshals on track when there is a safety car???

_________________
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 8767
Location: London
Johnston wrote:
Is it any worse than marshals on track when there is a safety car???

Well they don't have jet turbines strapped to their backs for a start.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 6587
Laura23 wrote:
Johnston wrote:
Is it any worse than marshals on track when there is a safety car???

Well they don't have jet turbines strapped to their backs for a start.


Jet turbine hit. Injuries none.

Marshal hit, how many injured????

It's not Ideal but look at it it took a freak accident and a coincidence for anything to happen.

The turbine wasn't the problem the fuel tank was. I'm sure they are already redesigning them as we speak.

_________________
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:07 pm
Posts: 7746
Johnston wrote:
Is it any worse than marshals on track when there is a safety car???

Marshals don't explode. Jokes aside. You still will need marshals in other situations, so it would just reduce the number by few and introduce potential bomb. Also there will be problem with accessibility. F1 circuits are much wider, so it would take ages for jet drier to get to accident side and then leave it. I thinks it needs to be safer and more mobile machine than jet drier.

_________________
eeee


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 06, 2003 12:48 pm
Posts: 834
Location: Toronto, Canada
Hakkattack wrote:
Montoya is getting killed State side... how on earth did he manage that?! Yes, clearly the back end gave out but for him to be flooring it like that knowing the back was messed up, and there was no need to rush around those huge trucks as cautions last forever in NASCAR



He had just left the pits after having had his car fixed and was trying to get back to the end of the pack. He did not know the back was messed up, something broke when he was about to enter turn three, he was just a passenger after that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:09 pm
Posts: 1182
ETM3 wrote:
Harry Hogge: All right. While we're still under a caution, I want you to go back out on that track and hit the pace car.
Cole Montoya: Hit the pace car?
Harry Hogge: Hit the pace car.
Cole Montoya: What for?
Harry Hogge: Because you've hit every other
goddamned thing out there, I want you to be perfect.

:)



Nice one cole. :P

_________________
Second place is the first loser!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:16 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Belgium
Johnston wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Johnston wrote:
Is it any worse than marshals on track when there is a safety car???

Well they don't have jet turbines strapped to their backs for a start.


Jet turbine hit. Injuries none.

Marshal hit, how many injured????

It's not Ideal but look at it it took a freak accident and a coincidence for anything to happen.

The turbine wasn't the problem the fuel tank was. I'm sure they are already redesigning them as we speak.


You must be a Nascar fan.

_________________
F1 fan since 1989
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group