It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:53 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:59 am 

RocketSkates wrote:
hittheapex wrote:
phfft... wrote:
That was pretty terrible. But I can't be the only one who doesn't follow Nascar that closely but immediately thought about using those turbines in F1. Sure, it might be a glorified leaf blower but in F1, the pinnacle of track-cleaning equipment is currently a broomstick. If and when Race Control in F1 is going to continue a cautious approach to wet weather racing, something like this might very well be looked into.

This. Wet races in F1 as we knew them even as late as 2008 will not be seen again under the current safety regime. The jet drier is a great piece of equipment, they just clearly hadn't thought about a NASCAR running into the fuel tank. Surely a solution could be engineered for that hazard?

Except it was used in the dry during a caution period.

Whether it was Juans fault or not, people shouldnt be blaming him even IF he was speeding. The fact that there is the potential for a car to crash into this jet engine with tons of fuel is dangerous. It should not be happening IMO. Fine, use it if its wet, but not when the safety cars out. Thats just asking for trouble

It was out because it doubles up as a road sweeper.

I believe from a previous post they use it to blow any debris down and off the track.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:11 am 

Yeah, at the very least they could use it under reds when the F1 cars are sitting in the pits or on the front straight anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:45 am 

Johnston wrote:
RocketSkates wrote:
hittheapex wrote:
phfft... wrote:
That was pretty terrible. But I can't be the only one who doesn't follow Nascar that closely but immediately thought about using those turbines in F1. Sure, it might be a glorified leaf blower but in F1, the pinnacle of track-cleaning equipment is currently a broomstick. If and when Race Control in F1 is going to continue a cautious approach to wet weather racing, something like this might very well be looked into.

This. Wet races in F1 as we knew them even as late as 2008 will not be seen again under the current safety regime. The jet drier is a great piece of equipment, they just clearly hadn't thought about a NASCAR running into the fuel tank. Surely a solution could be engineered for that hazard?

Whether it was Juans fault or not, people shouldnt be blaming him even IF he was speeding. The fact that there is the potential for a car to crash into this jet engine with tons of fuel is dangerous. It should not be happening IMO. Fine, use it if its wet, but not when the safety cars out. Thats just asking for trouble

I believe from a previous post they use it to blow any debris down and off the track.

I dont think anyone has a problem with the use of this Jet drier for whatever purpose. The problem is having cars and jet drier on track at the same time where cars are zooming past it. It is extremely high risk environment which is artificially created due to the fact that they use this thing with cars on track. It was accident waiting to happen. Does not matter if this has been done for ages and nothing happened till now.
I think its about time NASCAR has proper look at the protocols they follow as far as safety is concerned. (And Indy as well).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:53 am 

funkymonkey wrote:
Johnston wrote:
RocketSkates wrote:
hittheapex wrote:
phfft... wrote:

I dont think anyone has a problem with the use of this Jet drier for whatever purpose. The problem is having cars and jet drier on track at the same time where cars are zooming past it. It is extremely high risk environment which is artificially created due to the fact that they use this thing with cars on track. It was accident waiting to happen. Does not matter if this has been done for ages and nothing happened till now.
I think its about time NASCAR has proper look at the protocols they follow as far as safety is concerned. (And Indy as well).

I agree with you funky. I don't know much about Nascar but I already thoght of this jet drier thing while the race is still going on as dangerous and also kinda stupid. But than again this kind of racing I think of stupidly dangerous in itself.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:05 pm 

Is it any worse than marshals on track when there is a safety car???

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:08 pm 

Johnston wrote:

Well they don't have jet turbines strapped to their backs for a start.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:15 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Jet turbine hit. Injuries none.

Marshal hit, how many injured????

It's not Ideal but look at it it took a freak accident and a coincidence for anything to happen.

The turbine wasn't the problem the fuel tank was. I'm sure they are already redesigning them as we speak.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:28 pm 

Johnston wrote:

Marshals don't explode. Jokes aside. You still will need marshals in other situations, so it would just reduce the number by few and introduce potential bomb. Also there will be problem with accessibility. F1 circuits are much wider, so it would take ages for jet drier to get to accident side and then leave it. I thinks it needs to be safer and more mobile machine than jet drier.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:24 pm 

Hakkattack wrote:
Montoya is getting killed State side... how on earth did he manage that?! Yes, clearly the back end gave out but for him to be flooring it like that knowing the back was messed up, and there was no need to rush around those huge trucks as cautions last forever in NASCAR

He had just left the pits after having had his car fixed and was trying to get back to the end of the pack. He did not know the back was messed up, something broke when he was about to enter turn three, he was just a passenger after that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:18 pm 

ETM3 wrote:
Harry Hogge: All right. While we're still under a caution, I want you to go back out on that track and hit the pace car.
Cole Montoya: Hit the pace car?
Harry Hogge: Hit the pace car.
Cole Montoya: What for?
Harry Hogge: Because you've hit every other
goddamned thing out there, I want you to be perfect.

:)

Nice one cole. :P

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:15 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Jet turbine hit. Injuries none.

Marshal hit, how many injured????

It's not Ideal but look at it it took a freak accident and a coincidence for anything to happen.

The turbine wasn't the problem the fuel tank was. I'm sure they are already redesigning them as we speak.

You must be a Nascar fan.