planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: War in Sao Paulo
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:56 am 

Denorth wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
This has been going on for sooooooooo many years, why do you people care now? Its like the Bahrain thing all over again, havent seen anymore of those threads... maybe the people that were so passionate about it went over there to help with the protests or went into politics

First - because it was relatively calm (by Sao Paulo standards) from 2006 when the truce was agreed. not any more

Second - contrary to Bahrain (Libya, Syria...) situation no other big country trying to make an impact and change the ruler of the country. As the result - little coverage on main news channels and newspapers.

Third - apple and oranges here. it is not politics. just criminal war in the city. Again, I am posting this since it is a threat to health and lifes of F1 goers and F1 team members. nothing else. no political or any other agenda. just direct relation to F1 people.

didnt some people try to rob JB in 2010, so it wasnt that peaceful, in fact there are areas that are run by the criminal gangs and police dont set foot in those areas unless they want to get into a gun fight, sure its a problem but there's many areas of the world where this is the case not just in Brazil, including many other countries where races are held.

As long as they provide the necessary security to the F1 personnel then everything should be normal & same as every year

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:45 am 

FormulaFun wrote:
Denorth wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
This has been going on for sooooooooo many years, why do you people care now? Its like the Bahrain thing all over again, havent seen anymore of those threads... maybe the people that were so passionate about it went over there to help with the protests or went into politics

First - because it was relatively calm (by Sao Paulo standards) from 2006 when the truce was agreed. not any more

Second - contrary to Bahrain (Libya, Syria...) situation no other big country trying to make an impact and change the ruler of the country. As the result - little coverage on main news channels and newspapers.

Third - apple and oranges here. it is not politics. just criminal war in the city. Again, I am posting this since it is a threat to health and lifes of F1 goers and F1 team members. nothing else. no political or any other agenda. just direct relation to F1 people.

didnt some people try to rob JB in 2010, so it wasnt that peaceful, in fact there are areas that are run by the criminal gangs and police dont set foot in those areas unless they want to get into a gun fight, sure its a problem but there's many areas of the world where this is the case not just in Brazil, including many other countries where races are held.

As long as they provide the necessary security to the F1 personnel then everything should be normal & same as every year

really? someone said it was peaceful?

We are disease upon the world, brotherhood of man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:47 am 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Why no reaction like there was for Bahrain?

I make a very clear distinction between Bahrain and any other country, including Brazil, where there is civil unrest or human rights abuses or anything else of the ilk. With Bahrain, Formula 1 was involved in the problem because it was a subject of protests that led to people getting locked up and tortured. Without passing any judgement on whether the protestors or government were in the wrong, the staging of the race in Bahrain itself gave rise to the potential for violence and suppression or rights. If it was demonstrated that killing increased in Brazil in the lead up to the race to 'clean up the streets' for it then I would take the exact same stance as I did with Bahrain, which was that the sport should not visit the country. But as of yet AFAIK there isn't any indication that is the case.

The other point I'd raise is that many people within F1 spoke out about going to Bahrain, based on their own moral position and also due to safety concerns. I've never heard them do that about Brazil - yes they make the point that it's dangerous and they run the risk of carjackings and all that, but I've never heard any personnel state that they don't want to go there to race because of it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:49 pm 

Human rights violations from police revenge killings, what about the drug gangs?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-20505985