planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:59 pm 

Is it official that NBC will do the races in the US? I cannot seem to find anything definative.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:24 pm 

It is the NBC Sports Network, NBC itself will only carry four of the races if I recall.

Here is the first article that came up in Google.
http://www.kristv.com/news/formula-one- ... c-in-2013/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:27 pm 

Well this is what the official Formula 1 website says:

NBC Sports Group and Formula One Management have announced a four-year partnership starting in 2013 that provides the American broadcasters with exclusive United States media rights to all Grand Prix races, qualifying and practice sessions on all platforms and devices.

NBC Sports Group will televise all 20 races of the 2013 season - four on NBC and 16 on NBC Sports Network - as well as qualifying, practice sessions, studio shows and re-airs, amounting to more than 100 hours of programming annually.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/10/13935.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:57 pm 

Gimax wrote:
Well this is what the official Formula 1 website says:

NBC Sports Group and Formula One Management have announced a four-year partnership starting in 2013 that provides the American broadcasters with exclusive United States media rights to all Grand Prix races, qualifying and practice sessions on all platforms and devices.

NBC Sports Group will televise all 20 races of the 2013 season - four on NBC and 16 on NBC Sports Network - as well as qualifying, practice sessions, studio shows and re-airs, amounting to more than 100 hours of programming annually.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/10/13935.html

i missed that part about all practice sessions when i first read it. thats good to hear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:12 pm 

I hope at the very least they retain Steve Matchett. Bob Varsha does so much for Speed I assume he stays at Speed and Hobbs is old and probably ready to call it a day anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:40 pm 

So upsetting. America gets the media rights to practice sessions. I love Australia's dedication haha. We have two drivers and the only time we get practice sessions is during the Australian Grand Prix.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:10 pm 

Well that's good that we'll get all 3 practice sessions. Speed airs P2 only while the others are streamed live with no commentary. As much as I dislike their commercial breaks, the Speed crew (especially Matchett) are pretty good.

Fernando Alonso
Pastor Maldonado
Sergio Perez
Michael Schumacher
Lewis Hamilton

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:30 pm 

As a SPEED TV fan, I am sad. What really worries me is that I have no idea what the NBC sports network is or where to find it on cable????

I'll be really tiddled if I only get to see four races next year :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:34 pm 

Gonzo wrote:
As a SPEED TV fan, I am sad. What really worries me is that I have no idea what the NBC sports network is or where to find it on cable????

If you're on cable, you can go to zaptoit.com, enter your zip code, select you provider, and it will give you a listing and you should be able to find what channel it is for you. If your on satellite I'm not sure how to find out if you've got it or not.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:38 pm 

Considering all the practice sessions and the race alone are already over 100 hours, i can't imagine they'll be broadcasting all of the sessions. Throwing in pre race build up and post race analysis and you'll start pushing 150 hours.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:47 pm 

NBC Sports Network is hurting for stuff to show. That's why they made the big push and will show all sessions because of that. I am interested to see who their commentators will be.

Kamui Kobayashi Fan
"You know when you've been KK'd"-Martin Brundle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:27 am 

Misinformed wrote:
So upsetting. America gets the media rights to practice sessions. I love Australia's dedication haha. We have two drivers and the only time we get practice sessions is during the Australian Grand Prix.

I'm pretty sure that Bernie only sells the F1 rights as a complete package - so Network Ten will have the right to broadcast practice sessions like NBC. They just choose not to - possibly because, for most races, the time difference means that few Aussies would be awake to watch.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:27 pm 

Gonzo wrote:

When the announcement was first made, I held off saying anything until I had the chance to go home and check to see if NBCSN was part of our cable package. Luckily for me, it is there (though i don't think I have ever watched it), so I will be able to watch the races. I hope they have decent commentators and cover all the practice sessions. As much as all the commercials on Speed TV bother me, at least they have done a better than decent job with Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:22 am 

According to news article in Formula 1 official website, http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 13935.html

"All 20 races will be live streamed on NBC Sports Live Extra, the NBC Sports Group’s live-stream platform that is available online at NBCSports.com as well as on mobile and tablet apps".

Can anyone confirm that this means we do not need cable TV to watch F1 in the US next year? I am asking this because my cable tv contract will end this year, and thinking only subscribing internet package since I already have netflix.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:10 pm 

Hobbs, Matchett, Leigh Diff next year for NBCey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:58 pm 

mastergee wrote:
According to news article in Formula 1 official website, http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 13935.html

"All 20 races will be live streamed on NBC Sports Live Extra, the NBC Sports Group’s live-stream platform that is available online at NBCSports.com as well as on mobile and tablet apps".

Can anyone confirm that this means we do not need cable TV to watch F1 in the US next year? I am asking this because my cable tv contract will end this year, and thinking only subscribing internet package since I already have netflix.

The Live Extra requires you to log in with your information from you cable provider. So although you'd be able to watch on you mobile device, or computer you still need to have a cable account somewhere. (or use some one else's info)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:20 pm 

Lesbians.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:02 am 

I couldn't think of any American commentators who can do the job...Maybe Scott Speed would be the right fit to give his insights

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:41 pm 

This is good news to me, we can finally drop the "NASCAR channel" from our Dish subscription!