planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:46 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:41 am
Posts: 2203
When Ricciardo done it two years in a row in both the RB5 and RB6 everyone claimed "it was just track evolution, not driver talent"

Yet last year Vergne in the RB7 didn't even match Webber's time and this year De Costa is no were near either of their times.

You would assume track evolution is similar to when Ricciardo was in the car as the track rubbers up, yet De Costa is some way off?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:51 am
Posts: 1167
Did you see the amount of aero collecting data tech they had stuck onto the Red Bull?

I honestly think its unfair to call this a YDT because the teams have just used it as a car test session and not really for the benefit of the new drivers

_________________
Multi 21 or Catch 22?!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:41 am
Posts: 811
Location: Toronto, Canada
SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Did you see the amount of aero collecting data tech they had stuck onto the Red Bull?

I honestly think its unfair to call this a YDT because the teams have just used it as a car test session and not really for the benefit of the new drivers


Yep. I was reading the article that mentioned ... I forget which manufacturer was running their car without DRS all day to simulate conditions exactly for the data required. Definitely not a YDT.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2017: 7th | 2018: 8th
Wins: 2 Podiums: 9


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:12 pm
Posts: 228
He was driving round with an external TV aerial strapped to his car.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:10 am
Posts: 585
infi24r wrote:
When Ricciardo done it two years in a row in both the RB5 and RB6 everyone claimed "it was just track evolution, not driver talent"

Yet last year Vergne in the RB7 didn't even match Webber's time and this year De Costa is no were near either of their times.

You would assume track evolution is similar to when Ricciardo was in the car as the track rubbers up, yet De Costa is some way off?

There is a big difference from 2010 compared to the last 2years and it goes by the name of bridgestone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:31 am
Posts: 1610
The teams use this time of more of a testing time for the car than they do for testing new driver talent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:41 am
Posts: 2203
the young driver tests have always just been a testing time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:57 pm
Posts: 319
And testing times have never meant much without context so what's your point? Well actually I know your point, it's a very transparent attempt to make Ricciardo look better than Vergne and da Costa. But it still doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

Senna's first F1 test for Honda - when he was close to Button - still gets brought up by his apologists sometimes, doesn't change the fact that overall he's been very underwhelming in F1. There's no way the teams run identical programmes each year so comparing times set 12 months apart and expecting it to be relevant is naive to say the least.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:09 am
Posts: 2834
Location: Perth, Australia
Because it's a test session and we have no idea what the team are running in and on the car.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:41 am
Posts: 2203
KateLM wrote:
And testing times have never meant much without context so what's your point? Well actually I know your point, it's a very transparent attempt to make Ricciardo look better than Vergne and da Costa. But it still doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

Senna's first F1 test for Honda - when he was close to Button - still gets brought up by his apologists sometimes, doesn't change the fact that overall he's been very underwhelming in F1. There's no way the teams run identical programmes each year so comparing times set 12 months apart and expecting it to be relevant is naive to say the least.

I think its fairly obvious Ricciardo is alot better than Vergne. The fact the car is in no mans land and Ricciardo's huge qualifying advantage usually means they still line up side by side is hiding the gap.

I'm more making my point that maybe Ricciardo is Vettel fast.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:57 pm
Posts: 319
infi24r wrote:
KateLM wrote:
And testing times have never meant much without context so what's your point? Well actually I know your point, it's a very transparent attempt to make Ricciardo look better than Vergne and da Costa. But it still doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

Senna's first F1 test for Honda - when he was close to Button - still gets brought up by his apologists sometimes, doesn't change the fact that overall he's been very underwhelming in F1. There's no way the teams run identical programmes each year so comparing times set 12 months apart and expecting it to be relevant is naive to say the least.

I think its fairly obvious Ricciardo is alot better than Vergne. The fact the car is in no mans land and Ricciardo's huge qualifying advantage usually means they still line up side by side is hiding the gap.

I'm more making my point that maybe Ricciardo is Vettel fast.

Well why not just say that instead of dressing it up as a question about testing and da Costa?

And no, still not buying it. Qualifying is not everything and comparing test times set on different days, let alone months or years, is about as unconvincing an argument as you can get.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 am
Posts: 3919
This feels too much like clutching at straws. Locked.

_________________
Forum rules: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14979

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TheGiantHogweed, yodasarmpit and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group