planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:46 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:16 am 

When Ricciardo done it two years in a row in both the RB5 and RB6 everyone claimed "it was just track evolution, not driver talent"

Yet last year Vergne in the RB7 didn't even match Webber's time and this year De Costa is no were near either of their times.

You would assume track evolution is similar to when Ricciardo was in the car as the track rubbers up, yet De Costa is some way off?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:36 am 

Did you see the amount of aero collecting data tech they had stuck onto the Red Bull?

I honestly think its unfair to call this a YDT because the teams have just used it as a car test session and not really for the benefit of the new drivers

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:44 am 

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Did you see the amount of aero collecting data tech they had stuck onto the Red Bull?

I honestly think its unfair to call this a YDT because the teams have just used it as a car test session and not really for the benefit of the new drivers

Yep. I was reading the article that mentioned ... I forget which manufacturer was running their car without DRS all day to simulate conditions exactly for the data required. Definitely not a YDT.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:16 am 

He was driving round with an external TV aerial strapped to his car.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:32 am 

infi24r wrote:
When Ricciardo done it two years in a row in both the RB5 and RB6 everyone claimed "it was just track evolution, not driver talent"

Yet last year Vergne in the RB7 didn't even match Webber's time and this year De Costa is no were near either of their times.

You would assume track evolution is similar to when Ricciardo was in the car as the track rubbers up, yet De Costa is some way off?

There is a big difference from 2010 compared to the last 2years and it goes by the name of bridgestone.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:04 am 

The teams use this time of more of a testing time for the car than they do for testing new driver talent.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:09 am 

the young driver tests have always just been a testing time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:04 am 

And testing times have never meant much without context so what's your point? Well actually I know your point, it's a very transparent attempt to make Ricciardo look better than Vergne and da Costa. But it still doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

Senna's first F1 test for Honda - when he was close to Button - still gets brought up by his apologists sometimes, doesn't change the fact that overall he's been very underwhelming in F1. There's no way the teams run identical programmes each year so comparing times set 12 months apart and expecting it to be relevant is naive to say the least.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:10 am 

Because it's a test session and we have no idea what the team are running in and on the car.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:12 am 

KateLM wrote:
And testing times have never meant much without context so what's your point? Well actually I know your point, it's a very transparent attempt to make Ricciardo look better than Vergne and da Costa. But it still doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

Senna's first F1 test for Honda - when he was close to Button - still gets brought up by his apologists sometimes, doesn't change the fact that overall he's been very underwhelming in F1. There's no way the teams run identical programmes each year so comparing times set 12 months apart and expecting it to be relevant is naive to say the least.

I think its fairly obvious Ricciardo is alot better than Vergne. The fact the car is in no mans land and Ricciardo's huge qualifying advantage usually means they still line up side by side is hiding the gap.

I'm more making my point that maybe Ricciardo is Vettel fast.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:17 am 

infi24r wrote:
KateLM wrote:

I think its fairly obvious Ricciardo is alot better than Vergne. The fact the car is in no mans land and Ricciardo's huge qualifying advantage usually means they still line up side by side is hiding the gap.

I'm more making my point that maybe Ricciardo is Vettel fast.

Well why not just say that instead of dressing it up as a question about testing and da Costa?

And no, still not buying it. Qualifying is not everything and comparing test times set on different days, let alone months or years, is about as unconvincing an argument as you can get.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:25 pm 

This feels too much like clutching at straws. Locked.

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.