All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:08 pm 

RunningMan wrote:
Sabrina wrote:
Johnston wrote:
Caravaggio wrote:
Whichever way you spin it, the overall tone of the interview isnt exactly magnanimous.

Personally ive always felt him to be out of his depth as Team Principal.

Martins now had 4 years at Mclaren without a trophy. How many more do we think he'll get ?

Well Ron went for 7 I think and touched near that same figure a few times so it's early days for Martin.

Heck ron went for a few years without a race win never mind a championship. He can hardly fire someone for doing better than he did.

he can fire him whenever he wants, but IMo MW should never have been TP, but after this disaterous season, and this revealing interview, he really should leave

and give the job to who? They'd probably do a similar job to Whitmarsh, so I don't see the point.

McLaren did a really pi** poor job this season, a new TP could not be much worse. IMO even Sam Michael would be better

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:25 pm 

Zekenwolf wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:
I think he will regret it far more than Lewis will.

Somehow I doubt it. Whatever issues currently exist about reliability, Mclaren in the long run are more likely to win races than Mercedes in its present shape. By 'long run' I mean what's left of Hamilton's F1 career.

If only to prove a point - but more likely for their own prestige - McLaren will now go all out to address thos reliability issues. I do not think there is the slighest chance that they will fall behind Mercedes in either tally for another 7 to 8 years. After that, it won't matter.

Too often MW has waxed lyrical about Jenson's performances whilst almost glossing over Lewis's. His comments always favouring Jenson , will certainly not have helped Lewis get his head in the right place, and are I believe, a contributing factor in the lack of public and on track support Jenson has shown towards Lewis.

Apart from theunreliability, both pit crew and technical, at McLaren, which have ruined what would probably have been a championship year for Lewis; I'm sure that that Lewis must feel that he is not getting the support he deserves from both MW and JB. Taking all that into account, it is not surprising that he took a big pay rise from Mercedes, which came with the opportunity to work with Ross Brawn, who is one of the best team principals in the game. Clearly, as Nico Rosberg has shown, the Mercedes car has good potential, which I believe Lewis will be better able to exploit than either Nico or Michael Schumacher were able to do this year. I also doubt that , after another spectacular home goal by McLaren last Sunday, Lewis is harbouring any real regrets, but is relishing the challenge next season will bring him.

Sorry Martin, but losing Lewis will hurt McLaren as much as Ron Dennis losing Adrian Newey has. With both Lewis and Adrian , McLaren would have reigned supreme for many years to come. The sort of talent that thy possess is rare and extremely hard to replace.
It is Mclaren who have the regrets, brought upon themselves by poor decision making.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:28 pm 

Emerson.F wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

Somehow I doubt it. Whatever issues currently exist about reliability, Mclaren in the long run are more likely to win races than Mercedes in its present shape. By 'long run' I mean what's left of Hamilton's F1 career.

If only to prove a point - but more likely for their own prestige - McLaren will now go all out to address thos reliability issues. I do not think there is the slighest chance that they will fall behind Mercedes in either tally for another 7 to 8 years. After that, it won't matter.

Too often MW has waxed lyrical about Jenson's performances whilst almost glossing over Lewis's. His comments always favouring Jenson , will certainly not have helped Lewis get his head in the right place, and are I believe, a contributing factor in the lack of public and on track support Jenson has shown towards Lewis.

Apart from theunreliability, both pit crew and technical, at McLaren, which have ruined what would probably have been a championship year for Lewis; I'm sure that that Lewis must feel that he is not getting the support he deserves from both MW and JB. Taking all that into account, it is not surprising that he took a big pay rise from Mercedes, which came with the opportunity to work with Ross Brawn, who is one of the best team principals in the game. Clearly, as Nico Rosberg has shown, the Mercedes car has good potential, which I believe Lewis will be better able to exploit than either Nico or Michael Schumacher were able to do this year. I also doubt that , after another spectacular home goal by McLaren last Sunday, Lewis is harbouring any real regrets, but is relishing the challenge next season will bring him.

Sorry Martin, but losing Lewis will hurt McLaren as much as Ron Dennis losing Adrian Newey has. With both Lewis and Adrian , McLaren would have reigned supreme for many years to come. The sort of talent that thy possess is rare and extremely hard to replace.
It is Mclaren who have the regrets, brought upon themselves by poor decision making.

Football isn't always the best comparison to F1 but I'm an arsenal fan, your words strike a certain cord with me.

Member of the Lewis Hamilton fan club but yet to receive my customary tin foil hat.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:32 pm 

Emerson.F wrote:

I accept that you are stating your opinion like the rest of us but I have to disagree with the qualitative aspect of your statement. Forgetting who regrets what for the time being, the comparative talents of the two men are vastly different. Hamilton is a very good driver but certainly not an exceptional one and in no way "rare and extremely hard to replace". But Adrian Newey in his field is a completely different story and he is without doubt exceptional.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:35 pm 

Zekenwolf wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

I accept that you are stating your opinion like the rest of us but I have to disagree with the qualitative aspect of your statement. Forgetting who regrets what for the time being, the comparative talents of the two men are vastly different. Hamilton is a very good driver but certainly not an exceptional one and in no way "rare and extremely hard to replace". But Adrian Newey in his field is a completely different story and he is without doubt exceptional.

Define exceptional? Above average?

Member of the Lewis Hamilton fan club but yet to receive my customary tin foil hat.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:38 pm 

Zekenwolf wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

Hamilton is exceptional & very hard to replace, just stated by Whitmarshs bitter comments
Domenicali said McLaren lost a tremendous asset with lewis
Horner & Marko said about the same, even Button said Lewis is a big loss

If Lewis was not that good ,why is Whitmarsh so bitter Lewis leaves? If there would be drivers of similar caliber to replace Lewis, why should Whitmarsh be so unhappy about Lewis departure?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:41 pm 

Sabrina wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

Hamilton is exceptional & very hard to replace, just stated by Whitmarshs bitter comments

If Lewis was not that good ,why is Whitmarsh so bitter Lewis leaves? If there would be drivers of similar caliber to replace Lewis, why should Whitmarsh be so unhappy about Lewis departure?

I'm under the impression that it is Lewis's fans that are bitter about him leaving.
Every post about the matter is certainly bitter. I haven't seen many posts around here about how exciting next year will be, it's mostly posts on how evil Macca/MW/Jenson is. Funny that..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:42 pm 

Zekenwolf wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

Loosing a WDC in his first ever Championship by one point is not exceptional. Please point out someone who is then.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:42 pm 

Emerson.F wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

I don't even think Lewis earns this much at Mercedes. Whitmarsh assumes Lewis gets more money there, because it's easier to say/think this , than to admit Lewis goes to a worse team for less/the same money , because he was unhappy at McLaren

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:52 pm 

Mr-E wrote:
Sabrina wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

I'm under the impression that it is Lewis's fans that are bitter about him leaving.
Every post about the matter is certainly bitter. I haven't seen many posts around here about how exciting next year will be, it's mostly posts on how evil Macca/MW/Jenson is. Funny that..

I'm under the impression plenty of Jenson fans have an opinion on Lewis.... Funny that

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:57 pm 

Mr-E wrote:
Sabrina wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

I think you have a point. There aren't a lot of positive posts about next year, certainly not in comparison to the amount of bitching that's going on about McLaren

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:59 pm 

Mr-E wrote:
Sabrina wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

You just twist it in you direction. But it makes MW's comments not less bitter and low.
I'm actually happy Lewis leaves, bacause I won't have to see/ hear all the sh*t about JB & MW

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:00 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Mr-E wrote:
Sabrina wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

I think you have a point. There aren't a lot of positive posts about next year, certainly not in comparison to the amount of bitching that's going on about McLaren

I think most Hamilton fans are happy to accept it might not be his finest year, I'm quietly hoping for a decent car and a classic Hamilton drive, if we Hamilton fans get that we will all be happy. Just don't think any of us are going to jump the gun.

For me it's on Merc to come up with the hardware.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:02 pm 

Mr-E wrote:
Sabrina wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

This comment has " no grip "
;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:03 pm 

WheelGun wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

Loosing a WDC in his first ever Championship by one point is not exceptional. Please point out someone who is then.

I think what Zekenwolf was trying to say is that while Lewis may be talented he's not head and shoulders above other drivers in the way that Newey seems to be above other designers. Lewis is a loss but he's not as irreplaceable as Newey. That's no disrespect to Lewis, just a recognition of how far above Newey is compared to other designers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:05 pm 

Zekenwolf wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

Watch this bub: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbjRFd205qo

ps: gotta love that pirates of the carribien theme :smug:

Last edited by Emerson.F on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:06 pm 

bartonz20let wrote:
I think most Hamilton fans are happy to accept it might not be his finest year, I'm quietly hoping for a decent car and a classic Hamilton drive, if we Hamilton fans get that we will all be happy. Just don't think any of us are going to jump the gun.

For me it's on Merc to come up with the hardware.

Even though I'm not a particular Lewis fan I hope he gets a good car next year as I'd rather see as many top drivers battling it out at the front end as possible. I have to be honest though and say I don't really see it happening with Mercedes. Happy to be proven wrong, though ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:07 pm 

Caravaggio wrote:
Mr-E wrote:
Sabrina wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

This comment has " no grip "
;)

Ive had a few beers but this could be the best post I've ever read

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:07 pm 

Emerson.F wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

And how many lit the world up in F1?

In fact how many even made it to F1?

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:08 pm 

The this comment has no grip is an instant classic. Just about made my day :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:09 pm 

bartonz20let wrote:
Mr-E wrote:
Sabrina wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

I'm under the impression plenty of Jenson fans have an opinion on Lewis.... Funny that

Yes as do I, and as I have said many times, mine is pretty possitive. I like the kid.

Sabrina wrote:
bacause I won't have to see/ hear all the sh*t about JB & MW

Agree with you there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:09 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

Well you tell me?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:12 pm 

Emerson.F wrote:

Well you tell me?

Well by My reckoning we have the talents of
Petrov
Piquet
Glock

And Finally..............

DiGrassi.

Superb lot of top tier drivers i'm sure you will agree.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:15 pm 

Zekenwolf wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

Lewis Hamilton IS a truly exceptional driver, rare and extremely hard to replace.

If it wasn't the case:

1) he wouldn't have matched Alonso in his rookie year.

2) a guy like Ross Brawn wouldn't have broken the bank to hire him.

McLaren made a huge mistake letting Lewis go. It's not, of course, that they can not win races and championships without him, but their high profile image as one of the two teams any driver would kill for a race seat might have been damaged. This is not good for the sponsors and mega-rich investors required for keeping a F1 team at the top. And Whitmarsh saying that they finally offered the same money than Merc only makes things worse. At least, they could have said that their driver policy was strict and, the team being above the drivers, they couldn't pay the salary that Lewis was asking for. Instead, by matching Mercedes offer, they implicity admitted that their initial proposal was wrong and, anyway, Lewis definetely chose Mercedes even without a better salary, all of which leaves you thinking if Withmarsh (or Ron?) & Co. are much more amateurish than believed.

Last edited by Porsan on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:16 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

Well you tell me?

Well by My reckoning we have the talents of
Petrov
Piquet
Glock

And Finally..............

DiGrassi.

Superb lot of top tier drivers i'm sure you will agree.[/quote]

Wow some real top notch drivers ay.
How many of them will be racing in f1 next year? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:17 pm 

Emerson.F wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

I never tire of watching that vid. Wish we had such close racing like that in F1.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:17 pm 

Emerson.F wrote:
Wow some real top notch drivers ay.
How many of them will be racing in f1 next year? :lol:

Precisely my point.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:20 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

Oh for Gods sake Johnston, I thought you were a fan of motorsport? Anybody who really is an impartial fan of motorsport can't help but be impressed by that drive.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:23 pm 

PzR Slim wrote:
Oh for Gods sake Johnston, I thought you were a fan of motorsport? Anybody who really is an impartial fan of motorsport can't help but be impressed by that drive.

I didn't say I wasn't. But you have to take into consideration the quality of the guys he's against on track.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:28 pm 

Johnston wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:

I didn't say I wasn't. But you have to take into consideration the quality of the guys he's against on track.

He was up against a bunch of guys who were good enough to be at the sharp end of GP2, so not crap, and he took the gherkin out of them, showing a completely natural ability behind the wheel of a car. No matter what anyone thinks of the bloke his ability and talent is there for all to see. And to deny that or try and demean it is just daft.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:31 pm 

Only read the topic...

Should it read Whitmarsh regrets Hamilton move?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:31 pm 

But thats it slim the sharp end of GP2 the vast majority weren't good enough for the blunt end of F1. The two still in F1 are in two of the backmarkers. One leaving at the end of this year because he's run out of money.

3 years and still no one wants to pick him up without $$$$

would you say it was a top notch quality field?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:36 pm 

Johnston wrote:
But thats it slim the sharp end of GP2 the vast majority weren't good enough for the blunt end of F1. The two still in F1 are in two of the backmarkers. One leaving at the end of this year because he's run out of money.

I'm not saying they are the best, just that they're not crap. My points was that he made them look like amateurs on a track day. On that day no one else in that field got anywhere close to what he did. And like I say, if you truly are an impartial fan of motorsport you can only sit back and admire that drive.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:41 pm 

PzR Slim wrote:
Johnston wrote:

I'm not saying they are the best, just that they're not crap. My points was that he made them look like amateurs on a track day. On that day no one else in that field got anywhere close to what he did. And like I say, if you truly are an impartial fan of motorsport you can only sit back and admire that drive.

Again I didn't say I didn't admire it. I'm only saying that it wasn't exactly against top notch guys.

Which when you are rating a drive you have to take into the consideration the guys on track with him.

For instance if Hammy did the same move now in F1 to Glock, DiGrassi, Piquet and Petrov would anyone look twice at it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:47 pm 

Johnston wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Again I didn't say I didn't admire it. I'm only saying that it wasn't exactly against top notch guys.

Which when you are rating a drive you have to take into the consideration the guys on track with him.

For instance if Hammy did the same move now in F1 to Glock, DiGrassi, Piquet and Petrov would anyone look twice at it?

No because he'd be in a much better car with DRS and would probably use a pit stop wisely to despatch a few. It's daft to compare it to current F1 because it bares no resemblance to it whatsoever. Just view it in isolation, it's so obvious to see from that drive that the guy is in the very top few percent as drivers go.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:48 pm 

PzR Slim wrote:
No because he'd be in a much better car with DRS and would probably use a pit stop wisely to despatch a few. It's daft to compare it to current F1 because it bares no resemblance to it whatsoever. Just view it in isolation, it's so obvious to see from that drive that the guy is in the very top few percent as drivers go.

I never said he wasn't. but wouldn't you expect someone who is widely regarded as top teir to dispatch that sort of competition without much trouble?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:54 pm 

Johnston wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:

I never said he wasn't. but wouldn't you expect someone who is widely regarded as top teir to dispatch that sort of competition without much trouble?

So if you do think he is top tier why make a post questioning another members assertion that he is a top tier driver? It doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:12 pm 
Lower Formula you can only beat who is put in front of you. Wasn't Jenson beaten by the Cucumber (Narain) a few times in British Formula 3.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:14 pm 

lamo wrote:
Lower Formula you can only beat who is put in front of you. Wasn't Jenson beaten by the Cucumber (Narain) a few times in British Formula 3.

No idea got some prove? that would be something ay?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:30 pm 
Emerson.F wrote:
lamo wrote:

No idea got some prove? that would be something ay?

It was on the board last week, Narain dominated the 3 Brands Hatch rounds of the championship. 3 Poles, 2 wins and a 2nd I think. Jenson did not even make the podium.

But, alas, its the lower formulas it does not mean much.