planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:07 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:02 pm 
Its true, Mclaren have only sabotaged a driver when the other one looked like winning the title and ironically both times the driver they favoured lost/drew. 1989 & 2007.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:19 pm 

lamo wrote:
Its true, Mclaren have only sabotaged a driver when the other one looked like winning the title and ironically both times the driver they favoured lost/drew. 1989 & 2007.

Well Alonso lost.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:22 pm 

How many of f1 fans make 1M$ in their lifetime - seriously?

It is just so easy to spit out something like "he does not need the money" or "the money is not
important" or whatever. i bet that whitmarsh is not paid 1M$ a year.
As an average joe (as i am) you lose touch with the numbers at some point - it does not matter to (most) of us - if it is a 5,10,15 or 20 million dollars. Or euros.

But if you are Lewis Hamilton. In the end of the day - it does matter.

Its not a boys night - drinking beer and driving Colin McRae Rally X in the Petter Solberg branded seat on the 56 inch living room TV where the winning is all there is. It's also a big business! Its a huge Business!

In racing world - your made it, if you can actually MAKE MONEY driving. Very few racing drivers EVER achieve that, The next best thing is to have sponsors and take a healthy cut betveen a team and the sponsors. To Actually get PAID for this - you have to be incredably talanted, marketable, etc,

if Lewis (or nando, or vettel, or ... whoever) would be few tenths of the seconc slower per lap - they still be incredably fast, but they would have to bring in their own sponsorship to get a drive! It is what it is - you need an extra xHundred horspower to get you from 300-310 km/h. While it only takes you about 20hp to get you from 0-100 (figures are illustrative, but it is an exponential curve).

F1 is not what it was in Ferrari era. Its not like Schumachers glory days - infinite budgets combined with infinite will. From race to race, from race to fiorano to do testing, to race to back to fiarone to test even more, to race ...... you see where this is going.... Keke Rosberg once said on finnish tv that schumacher was like a machine - when Häkkinen was exhausted after a season, Schumacher went on after season to lose weight (!!!!!) in order to be competitive in some off season totally irrelavant promotional carting event.

The point is - given a choice of (what - 10M annually by mclaren? ) 100M$ for three years with merc - Hamilton decided to cash out his lifes work. You might as well take 33M while the wheels or spinning (its a gamble in sporting terms),

How many 100M deals can you list here? In a last 20 years, there has been only Schumacher, Alonso and Räikkonen (contract aborted) to get 30+m a year! All paid by ferrari. Hamilton is making history here.

And as a final statement - im as no-hamilton as one can be. I hope he enjoys the trash-car that Rosberg and Schumacher on having a fieldday with this year. But 30m+ a year will give some comfort ....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:48 pm 

Qiwater wrote:
Whitmarsh has a lot of explaining to do to Mclaren and their sponsors, he's simply planting acorns in the hope a big old 100 year oak tree will grow before that meeting and it will be deemed that greed and a fit of pique was responsible for them losing their homegrown F1 ace to a competitor .

I am sure the sponsors and shareholders watch the races , from 2011 Lewis has been frustrated about something in the team, he let it get the better of him last year in the latter part of the season turned it on its head this year and came out better stronger faster .

In all of this what was Whitmarsh doing ? How did he not notice how sad Lewis was , how frustrated .
He will have to explain .

This article is pure projection , he is feeling bad , he has just remembered what Lewis actually means to him and what he and Ron meant to Lewis and as I've said before it will be a sad day in Brazil for all .

But he has seriously betrayed Lewis and he knows it and HE regrets it.
Ron Dennis is rendered speechless it seems .....and to be frank I'm surprised it took so long for Whitmarsh to revert to form and start spouting foolishness.

I think Whitmarsh should concern himself with HIS next season Lewis is is fully aware what to expect from his and anything more will be a bonus , whereas Mclaren well the one certainty " has just left the building "

:thumbup: Very good post
Whitmarsh showed his hurt, about loosing Lewis , in his bitter statement, that he hopes Lewis will regret (... and maybe come back to him some day)