It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:12 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:17 pm 

viariani wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
viariani wrote:
My spidey sense is tingling... :( Please for the love of GOD don't take this clown back!! I'm salivating at the thought of Merc floundering "With the monkeys at the back" in 2013!!

I find it quite amazing that anyone could be that sad to spend any time at all on such a thought.

Bit of a strange comment from Whitmarsh. I'm not sure it's meant quite as harshly as it sounds. MW often ends up saying things that sound much worse than he intended IMO.

Haha, find it as sad as you like sunbeam, roll on 2013 ;)

At which point he'll still be driving an F1 car and getting paid handsomely for it, whilst you'll still be posting hate on an internet forum ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:18 pm 

Johnston wrote:
What's he supposed to say. I hope he goes and wins 3 WDCs and WCCs. I'm sure his bosses would love their team principle saying they he hopes another team beats them.

Could you imagine Horner coming out and saying "Well yeah I hope Seb goes to Ferrari and beats us" ?

Odd no one has picked up onthis yet.

Quote:
We made Lewis an offer - an offer, which I believe is more money than any other driver at the moment is being paid. That leads us to suspect that our competitor and our partner Mercedes-Benz offered a bit more money. I don’t know that, but I think for Lewis made his decision. I am disappointed in one sense, but you have to focus on going forward.

I noticed that, and I think Martin's trying to figure out why Lewis made the move. It can't be the reliability / mistake issues, frustrating as they were, because Lewis has chosen to go to arguably the only team on the grid with a worse record than McLaren this year. It's possible that Lewis genuinely wants the challenge of taking a team from zero to hero, although what he thinks he can do when possibly the greatest example of a driver to have done so in modern history hasn't been able to do it with the same team is anybody's guess. That leaves money, and if McLaren offered the pot at the end of the rainbow as claimed then it would be hard for someone to walk away from that, leaving him to conclude that maybe Lewis wasn't walking away from that as Mercedes had upped the ante even more.

Last edited by Zoue on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:19 pm 

Johnston wrote:
What's he supposed to say. I hope he goes and wins 3 WDCs and WCCs. I'm sure his bosses would love their team principle saying they he hopes another team beats them.

Could you imagine Horner coming out and saying "Well yeah I hope Seb goes to Ferrari and beats us" ?

Quote:
We made Lewis an offer - an offer, which I believe is more money than any other driver at the moment is being paid. That leads us to suspect that our competitor and our partner Mercedes-Benz offered a bit more money. I don’t know that, but I think for Lewis made his decision. I am disappointed in one sense, but you have to focus on going forward.

And I suspect it had nothing to do with money. We can all suspect, doesn't make any of us right ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:20 pm 

Johnston wrote:

Quote:

Maybe because as he says himself, he doesn't actually know that and is just speculating.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:23 pm 

PzR Slim wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Quote:

And I suspect it had nothing to do with money. We can all suspect, doesn't make any of us right ;)

Yip I know, i'm just showing that whilst everyone is going down the "How dare he not want a competitor to do better" route there are some other interesting tit-bits like Mclaren suspecting money was an issue.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:23 pm 

PzR Slim wrote:
viariani wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
viariani wrote:
My spidey sense is tingling... :( Please for the love of GOD don't take this clown back!! I'm salivating at the thought of Merc floundering "With the monkeys at the back" in 2013!!

I find it quite amazing that anyone could be that sad to spend any time at all on such a thought.

Bit of a strange comment from Whitmarsh. I'm not sure it's meant quite as harshly as it sounds. MW often ends up saying things that sound much worse than he intended IMO.

At which point he'll still be driving an F1 car and getting paid handsomely for it, whilst you'll still be posting hate on an internet forum ;)

You're not doing a bad job yourself fella ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:24 pm 

Johnston wrote:

What do you hear when a driver usually leaves a team? You usually hear both sides wishing each other the best for the future. That's what Whitmarsh should do and he would come off as the bigger man if he did. If he really thinks Lewis is in for a fairy cakes time at Merc, why does he sound so bitter?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:27 pm 

Johnston wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Quote:

Yip I know, i'm just showing that whilst everyone is going down the "How dare he not want a competitor to do better" route there are some other interesting tit-bits like Mclaren suspecting money was an issue.

You think? Why would they have offered him so much if they had no idea it was?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:28 pm 

phyz wrote:
Johnston wrote:

What do you hear when a driver usually leaves a team? You usually hear both sides wishing each other the best for the future. That's what Whitmarsh should do and he would come off as the bigger man if he did. If he really thinks Lewis is in for a fairy cakes time at Merc, why does he sound so bitter?

He doesn't: it's people's interpretations that make it that way.

Martin was answering questions put to him during an interview. It's not as though he rang the Sun from home and said he wanted to get a few things off his chest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:29 pm 

viariani wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
viariani wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
viariani wrote:

You're not doing a bad job yourself fella ;)

Au contraire Blackadder. I don't see any hate or wishing bad on anyone.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:31 pm 

Zoue wrote:
phyz wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Martin was answering questions put to him during an interview. It's not as though he rang the Sun from home and said he wanted to get a few things off his chest

"I hope he thinks today that he's made an awful mistake and I hope he thinks that next year."

Regardless of what he was asked, that sounds incredibly bitter.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:32 pm 

Zoue wrote:
phyz wrote:
Johnston wrote:

I've already said I don't think MW meant it to sound like he did. He has a habit of doing that. He probably could have worded it a little better. Something along the lines of 'We wish him well in the future but we hope we beat him next year.' That's a lot nicer than saying 'I hope he regrets it.'

Zoue wrote:
phyz wrote:
Johnston wrote:

That's what people think they do

The Sun editor isn't at work receiving calls from Button and Whitmarsh.. They're chasing them for interviews and asking the right questions to fit the Sun newspapers agenda

And all you guys suck it up like a Hoover!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

phyz wrote:
Johnston wrote:

I'm sure he does wish him all the best. But he's not going to go out and say he hopes he does better at McLaren is he?

Of course he wants it to be a mistake and that he regrets it. Arguably if he doesn't end up regretting it, it means Merc are in front of McLaren. And why would Martin whitmarsh want Merc in front of McLaren.

He wants Lewis sitting in the Merc thinking I could have been in that winning car. What is wrong with that?

It's a competitive sport. Not someone leaving Tescos to go stack shelves at the ASDA down the road.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:34 pm 

There's another thread on this forum about what questions you'd ask and one thing people have said its not the questions but they'd actually want honest answers..

You've got an honest answer here and lots of you don't like it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:36 pm 

All this says to me is Whitmarsh regrets it big time, maybe he's realised that his position is in jeopardy based on next years results and this is how he lets his frustration go.

2013 will be make or break for Whitmarsh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:38 pm 

phyz wrote:
Zoue wrote:
phyz wrote:
Johnston wrote:

"I hope he thinks today that he's made an awful mistake and I hope he thinks that next year."

Context, phyz, context. Read the rest of the interview and the way you have interpreted it sounds out of place.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:40 pm 

FormulaFun wrote:
Whitmarsh alienating Perez some more before he's even joined, and publicly wishing his current workmate of 14 years all the worst for his future.

What a clever man

To be honest though he's actually being quite refreshingly honest. The reality is that the Perez siging is risky and that losing Hamilton to one of your main competitors can't be fun.

I am not sure Lewis really regrets it though. He's going there for the challenge to do a bit of a Schumacher. Its a little worrying though that he believes he can make such a difference. Drivers do not design cars. The team does and if the team is not up to scratch nothing can change that. Its not that I don't believe a great driver can make a difference here but there is no special magic that the driver brings to make the car one of the best.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:41 pm 

I think Whitmarsh will regret loosing Lewis more than Lewis will regret leaving

OOOOOOOHHHHH YEEEEAAHH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:42 pm 

phyz wrote:
Zoue wrote:
phyz wrote:
Johnston wrote:

This. Martin's been very good about the whole Lewis-to-Merc thing all along, its a very sudden change of tune so I'm assume he just chose the wrong words.

I thought the worst of the comments when I saw them, but I get the feeling we'll be seeing an "I didn't mean it that way" statement from Whitmarsh soon. I'm sure he does wish Hamilton the best, and has often said just that... just poor choice of words that make him SOUND bitter. Or he wanted to give us all something to discuss other than Kimi's win and Vettel's luck :-P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:42 pm 

stevey wrote:
All this says to me is Whitmarsh regrets it big time, maybe he's realised that his position is in jeopardy based on next years results and this is how he lets his frustration go.

2013 will be make or break for Whitmarsh

Why is take as fact that if Perez and Button do not win in next years McLaren that Lewis would have?

What if Lewis had another season like 2011 if he was driving the McLaren next year?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:45 pm 

Quote:
Why is take as fact that if Perez and Button do not win in next years McLaren that Lewis would have?

It is not fact but as good as!

OOOOOOHHHHH YEEEEEAAAHHH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:48 pm 

Macho Man wrote:
Quote:

OOOOOOHHHHH YEEEEEAAAHHH

With Lewis there is no sure thing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:49 pm 

Macho Man wrote:
Quote:

OOOOOOHHHHH YEEEEEAAAHHH

With Lewis there is no sure thing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:52 pm 

Fernando to McLaren in 2014? If Ferrari continues not to deliver, Red Bull continue to dominate and McLaren can produce the car but cannot get it together...

Just saying...

:-P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:57 pm 

PzR Slim wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Quote:

Yep, but some people are able to do more educated guesses than others ;)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:19 pm 

Covalent wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Quote:

Yep, but some people are able to do more educated guesses than others ;)

An educated guess is still a guess ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:29 pm 

AtrumVesica wrote:
This is unbelievable...at the moment it looks like Lewis is bringing about 3 tenths to half a second to that car beyond what Button is doing, now lets take Button as being what the car is capable of in someone else's hands, If Lewis takes that time to the Merc next season then the Maccas will be behind him, I think what Whitmarsh is really saying is McLaren really regret not signing him and its fecked their strategy for the next few years.

Sorry, cars don't work that way.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:31 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
phyz wrote:
Zoue wrote:
phyz wrote:
Johnston wrote:

This. Martin's been very good about the whole Lewis-to-Merc thing all along, its a very sudden change of tune so I'm assume he just chose the wrong words.

I thought the worst of the comments when I saw them, but I get the feeling we'll be seeing an "I didn't mean it that way" statement from Whitmarsh soon. I'm sure he does wish Hamilton the best, and has often said just that... just poor choice of words that make him SOUND bitter. Or he wanted to give us all something to discuss other than Kimi's win and Vettel's luck :-P

He probably said it with that ironic smile of his he rolls out whenever talking about something he doesn't want to be talking about. I don't actually have a problem with whatever he said.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:35 pm 

Let be clear Mclaren is one of the most coprate teams out there that controlls its messaging to presicion,so When Witmarsh says something to the press its what what he want to be out there,Witmarsh is very experience at dealing with the press and has been doing it for long time

so nevermind the Lewis haters who are trying to make excuses for him,

Lewis as a man and a driver made a disicion to leave MCLAREN,Its was reasonable for Witmarsh to say he thought it was a mistake in the immediate aftermath which he did,now its been almost 2 months everyone had there say and all the opion writer wrote,now its time to respect and accept Lewis desicion for better or for worst only time will tell

I mean the whole shtick from Witmarsh and the whole Mclaren media punditry on Lewis is that, he is immature ,he needs to grow up ,he need to leave his dad.....he jumped into a top car and never struggle like everyone else.....he is young at 27....BLLA BLAA

Well now he has made the ultimate grown up disicion to leave the comfort of a strong car and the environment he grew up in...they all Angry...It like they want to controll Lewis,if he is a good boy they will let him win one if not they will let him come in behind.he must know his place in the team and take what he gets

The fact that they knew Lewis when he was young is preventing them from respecting him as a man...they still see Lewis as the 10 yr old looking for sponsor,and now that he has grown up and asserting his manhood they cant accept it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:42 pm 

Samaritan wrote:
Let be clear Mclaren is one of the most coprate teams out there that controlls its messaging to presicion,so When Witmarsh says something to the press its what what he want to be out there,Witmarsh is very experience at dealing with the press and has been doing it for long time

so nevermind the Lewis haters who are trying to make excuses for him,

Lewis as a man and a driver made a disicion to leave MCLAREN,Its was reasonable for Witmarsh to say he thought it was a mistake in the immediate aftermath which he did,now its been almost 2 months everyone had there say and all the opion writer wrote,now its time to respect and accept Lewis desicion for better or for worst only time will tell

I mean the whole shtick from Witmarsh and the whole Mclaren media punditry on Lewis is that, he is immature ,he needs to grow up ,he need to leave his dad.....he jumped into a top car and never struggle like everyone else.....he is young at 27....BLLA BLAA

Well now he has made the ultimate grown up disicion to leave the comfort of a strong car and the environment he grew up in...they all Angry...It like they want to controll Lewis,if he is a good boy they will let him win one if not they will let him come in behind.he must know his place in the team and take what he gets

The fact that they knew Lewis when he was young is preventing them from respecting him as a man...they still see Lewis as the 10 yr old looking for sponsor,and now that he has grown up and asserting his manhood they cant accept it.

I have to say, if Lewis was trying to assert his manhood anywhere near me I wouldn't be too happy :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:46 pm 

PzR Slim wrote:
I have to say, if Lewis was trying to assert his manhood anywhere near me I wouldn't be too happy :lol:

See narrow minded. Think of the tabloids. you'd be famous for 5 minutes and get a few £ for the privilege.

I'm a Celeb get me out of here awaits you slim.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:49 pm 

Johnston wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:

See narrow minded. Think of the tabloids. you'd be famous for 5 minutes and get a few £ for the privilege.

I'm a Celeb get me out of here awaits you slim.

:thumbup: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:49 pm 

PzR Slim wrote:
Johnston wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Quote:

You think? Why would they have offered him so much if they had no idea it was?

Arr did not take long for Johnston to come in with this money theory thats based on no facts. Saying money was anything to do with him leaving is saying Hamilton, Brawn, Whistmarsh, McLaren, all lie. Money had nothing to do with the move and this was put to rest before, but as stated it don't long for someone to bring up that theory based on no facts.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:52 pm 

How does money have nothing to do with it? Is he racing for free next year?

Didn't he want personal sponsorship rights? Was he going to put logos on his helmet and overalls for free? Out of the goodness of his little heart?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:58 pm 

F1Thomas wrote:

Arr did not take long for Johnston to come in with this money theory thats based on no facts. Saying money was anything to do with him leaving is saying Hamilton, Brawn, Whistmarsh, McLaren, all lie. Money had nothing to do with the move and this was put to rest before, but as stated it don't long for someone to bring up that theory based on no facts.

No facts?

If you read the FULL interview and not the carefully plucked one SKY posted that is in the OP. It was Martin whitmarsh who said it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:09 pm 

Martin and Mclaren know they have messed up big time, losing the fastest driver in the sport who was the best chance of bringing them a title. They are left with JB who is a very good driver but his Quali is poor and he is awful if the car has setup problems. They have replaced Lewis with Perez with makes me laugh all the time. When the realised Lewis might leave they offered to pay him more money than anyone in the sport(reported by MW)

Ron Dennis must of gone mental because although i don't think Lewis is at the level of Senna it's like that moment all over again for Mclaren when Senna left, that feeling must be horrible.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:23 pm 

As far as understand it in the final days of Lewis leaving,one of Mclaren wealthy partners inquired as to why Lewis is Leaving,he was told it was because of money,so he personally decided to to up the offer generously by that time it was too late.so now Witmasrh is disingenously going around saying that they offered Lewis the best package of any driver

Witmasrh effort to humiliate Lewis into paycut,thinking all top seat were sown up.back fired,It also seems that he got angry at Merc for offering Lewis a way out of mclaren,thats why 2 weeks ago they were threatening to not want to pay for MREC engine and looking at Honda.

This is just more evidence that Witmarsh hold deep resentment towards Lewis,it explain why a mediocre driver like Button is close in points,its explains 4 consecutive mechanical failures that took Lewis out of the WDC and it explains why he offered Lewis one of the top 3 drivers in F1 in the last 5yrs a paycut

Why is a Savy Media operative Like Witmasrh responding to media question like those or putting out such devisive statement at this point .The answer is that he desperately wants Button to beat Lewis in the points and any thing to distablize Lewis would do,this is a hallmark of Witmarsh Button era trying to gawd Lewis into a reaction and mistake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:24 pm 

Losing Lewis is not the sam as saying bye to Senna lol Jeez. Delusional people up in here. McLaren should be as happy to get a fresh start as Lewis is.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:25 pm 

Samaritan wrote:
As far as understand it in the final days of Lewis leaving,one of Mclaren wealthy partners inquired as to why Lewis is Leaving,he was told it was because of money,so he personally decided to to up the offer generously by that time it was too late.so now Witmasrh is disingenously going around saying that they offered Lewis the best package of any driver

Witmasrh effort to humiliate Lewis into paycut,thinking all top seat were sown up.back fired,It also seems that he got angry at Merc for offering Lewis a way out of mclaren,thats why 2 weeks ago they were threatening to not want to pay for MREC engine and looking at Honda.

This is just more evidence that Witmarsh hold deep resentment towards Lewis,it explain why a mediocre driver like Button is close in points,its explains 4 consecutive mechanical failures that took Lewis out of the WDC and it explains why he offered Lewis one of the top 3 drivers in F1 in the last 5yrs a paycut

Why is a Savy Media operative Like Witmasrh responding to media question like those or putting out such devisive statement at this point .The answer is that he desperately wants Button to beat Lewis in the points and any thing to distablize Lewis would do,this is a hallmark of Witmarsh Button era trying to gawd Lewis into a reaction and mistake

And there is is... let the JB v. LH ensue I guess...