planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:56 pm 

Doesn't matter what you thing of Villeneuve, he does have a point, don't let your personal bias cloud your judgement.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:11 pm 

G1n wrote:
Doesn't matter what you thing of Villeneuve, he does have a point, don't let your personal bias cloud your judgement.

F1 drivers are largely getting younger and expected to perform sooner.

I seem to recall both Alonso and Hamilton having similar childish traits at the same age, and older, than Seb. If anything I'd say he's ahead of the main rivals of his era in maturity.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:15 pm 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
G1n wrote:

I seem to recall both Alonso and Hamilton having similar childish traits at the same age, and older, than Seb. If anything I'd say he's ahead of the main rivals of his era in maturity.

yes, but JV only stated that Vettel is yet to mature, it is a simple fact, where as Alonso has all the qualities of a champion already, an all rounder, and JV thinks he deserves the title because of that. JV even goes to acknowledge that Vettel is an "ace", don't see much wrong with that, he tells it how it is.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:22 pm 

G1n wrote:
scuderia_stevie wrote:
G1n wrote:

yes, but JV only stated that Vettel is yet to mature, it is a simple fact, where as Alonso has all the qualities of a champion already, an all rounder, and JV thinks he deserves the title because of that. JV even goes to acknowledge that Vettel is an "ace", don't see much wrong with that, he tells it how it is.

And because Vettel doesn't currently have all the qualities of a champion yet he doesn't?

In that case Alonso better hand his 2005 and 2006 WDC's over to someone more deserving (read mature).

Michael Schumacher - 9x or more WDC (including 1997)?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:23 pm 

I laughed aloud when I read JV's comments this morning. Coming from him its all too much.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:19 pm 

Emerson.F wrote:
He always has something too say. I might agree that Vettel can not be considered a great and i dont rate him as high as Alo/Ham/Kimi but i dont agree with him being childish. Seb is a cool guy down too earth and pretty darn funny. (Kimi impersonation)

+1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:52 am 

Show me something nice JV has said about Vettel, and I'll show you 10 not so nice things he has said in the same article. This is not new. If he got angry at Ricciardo and reacted, so did Button when Vettel did the same to him. His voice was calmer, but he had the same response 'what is he doing?' and raised Seb one 'better have Charlie have a look at it'

But to listen to JV, you would think Vettel finds every way to react out of the norm and does so. If Vettel swats a fly, JV would find him uncaring of the environment. JV sees what he wants to see. He does the exact same thing with Kimi - like saying he should have won lots of races this year and has no motivation, etc. And he's been hard on Schumi and Hamilton too, when he doesn't need to compare them to make someone else look bad, lol.

That is just how JV is with the drivers he doesn't care for too much.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:55 am 

Putting aside the hypocrisy, Jack is right. It doesn't take Einstein to figure out Vettel is immature. So is Hamilton and probably a few others. But contrasting by saying "Alonso remains calm, cool, and rational, while Vettel most times gets upset," isn't right either. Alonso is not cool, calm or rational in tense situations and there have been enough examples already put up on this thread. He is just mature enough to hold the public displays to a minimum.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:33 am 

The sky is also blue, wow, amazing insight there JV.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:34 am 

bourbon19 wrote:
Show me something nice JV has said about Vettel, and I'll show you 10 not so nice things he has said in the same article. This is not new. If he got angry at Ricciardo and reacted, so did Button when Vettel did the same to him. His voice was calmer, but he had the same response 'what is he doing?' and raised Seb one 'better have Charlie have a look at it'

But to listen to JV, you would think Vettel finds every way to react out of the norm and does so. If Vettel swats a fly, JV would find him uncaring of the environment. JV sees what he wants to see. He does the exact same thing with Kimi - like saying he should have won lots of races this year and has no motivation, etc. And he's been hard on Schumi and Hamilton too, when he doesn't need to compare them to make someone else look bad, lol.

ring ding ding ding ding

the finger

you cucumber

etc

he acts like a baby, either love it or hate it but its the truth, get over it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:43 am 

infi24r wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:

ring ding ding ding ding

the finger

you cucumber

etc

I know, celebrating an achievement is "immature". Maybe he should be like Hamilton and show zero emotion at all.
How is he a baby? Have you ever heard a negative behind-the-scenes incident with him? No. He minds his own business.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:18 am 

Fishy wrote:
infi24r wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:

ring ding ding ding ding

the finger

you cucumber

etc

I know, celebrating an achievement is "immature". Maybe he should be like Hamilton and show zero emotion at all.
How is he a baby? Have you ever heard a negative behind-the-scenes incident with him? No. He minds his own business.

You can be emotional and be mature. When Vettel is winning he comes across as a nice enough guy, which is what I'm sure he's like in everyday life, but when something bad goes his way he can act immature at times. Alonso also comes across as a reasonable guy, but when the pressure is on and someone is "In his way" cues the fist waving, and "only speaking English when I want race director to understand me" is a bit immature.

Podiums: 4
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:31 am 

Fishy wrote:
infi24r wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:

ring ding ding ding ding

the finger

you cucumber

etc

WHAT IS HE DOING??!?! HES STOPPING ALL THE TIME ON THE TRACK!!!

HOW AM I MEANT TO PASS BUTTON?? DO SOMETHING!! DO SOMETHING!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:10 am 

Fishy wrote:

Hamilton is by far the biggest prima donna on the grid. He even screams about his teammate over the radio, moans about other cars being faster when results don't go his way and makes moronic public statements that are swallowed up as gospel by his fan club. Mind his own business? That's a laugh!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:33 am 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
moby wrote:
Londinium wrote:
Whats with all the anti Villeneuve stuff? If anyone should know about this stuff it is Jacques after all ;) It's not like he's denying that he ever acted that way when he was in F1. If anything having acted that way he can comment about it as he has the experience.

But he never says it about himself :D

And, as much as I often agree with him, even to a certain extent this time, he rides on his father's coattails. See his piece for Sky at Montreal this year driving his father's Ferrari. As good as it was, his first reference is how the seat fits without adjustment and he seems to keep comparing himself. He probably thinks he's better, but never gets the credit.

If you think Jacques rides on the coattails of his dad then you didn't see him racing from '96-'01. Sure he was never Gilles but he was a cracking driver and with some better career choices he could have been a multiple world champion now. When he left for BAR he had the whole grid as his choice, when Renault were coming into F1, he was their first choice to lead the new team. He stuffed up both those choices and ended up a single time world champion...really he was the 1990s Lewis Hamilton, same thing is happening to Hammy :nod:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:05 am 

- Vettel is immature if compared to Alonso

- Vettel is fast with nobody in front of him. He may be fast otherwise as well, but with the Red Bull superiority he was not tested enough to issue a proper verdict.

- Alonso performs better under pressure

- Alonso made his points personally, and was not handed anything on a silver platter this year.

- Alonso deserves to win this year

- JV is immature if compared to Alonso and Vettel

All correct statements in my view.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:13 am 

gpr wrote:
- Vettel is immature if compared to Alonso

- Vettel is fast with nobody in front of him. He may be fast otherwise as well, but with the Red Bull superiority he was not tested enough to issue a proper verdict.

- Alonso performs better under pressure

- Alonso made his points personally, and was not handed anything on a silver platter this year.

- Alonso deserves to win this year

- JV is immature if compared to Alonso and Vettel

All correct statements in my view.

-Abu Dhabi 2010

-Who isn't fast when out in front. Vettel has demonstrated on multiple occaisons that he is able to come through the field: Spa, Abu Dhabi

-When something doesn't go Alonso's way, he quickly loses focus like Valencia 2010. Vettel was able to dig in deep from Spa 2010 from a huge deficit and wins the title.

-How does one get points delivered on a siler platter. So the hard work done by Red Bull and Vettel are not the same level of caliber as Alonso's efforts?

-How does Alonso deserve to win more than Vettel? The Ferrari was never a dog of a car. It won the second race of the season. And they are 2nd in the constructors.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:15 am 

infi24r wrote:
Fishy wrote:
infi24r wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:

ring ding ding ding ding

the finger

you cucumber

etc

WHAT IS HE DOING??!?! HES STOPPING ALL THE TIME ON THE TRACK!!!

HOW AM I MEANT TO PASS BUTTON?? DO SOMETHING!! DO SOMETHING!!

It sucks having emotions. He should just abandon his personality and adopt a robot stance like Hamilton.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:26 am 

Alonso was really mature behind Petrov at Abu Dhabi in 2010 :wink:

The fact is, JV couldn't even keep a truck drive in Nascar, his opinion is redundant.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:26 pm 

lab105 wrote:

The fact is, JV couldn't even keep a truck drive in Nascar, his opinion is redundant.

Far more mature than Vettel in Turkey that same year, don't you think? :-P

As for JV's opinion being redundant because he couldn't keep a truck drive in Nascar, where does that leave the opinions of all of us forumers here? We couldn't even land a drive, forget about keeping it!

Now seriously, I don't see how we can judge any driver's level of maturity by his gesturing - I am sure that I would be far worse than any of them! In a sense, I find it funny that they find the time to misbehave like that while driving (or even crashing) at high speed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:26 pm 

morgana wrote:
lab105 wrote:

Far more mature than Vettel in Turkey that same year, don't you think? :-P

As for JV's opinion being redundant because he couldn't keep a truck drive in Nascar, where does that leave the opinions of all of us forumers here? We couldn't even land a drive, forget about keeping it!

Now seriously, I don't see how we can judge any driver's level of maturity by his gesturing - I am sure that I would be far worse than any of them! In a sense, I find it funny that they find the time to misbehave like that while driving (or even crashing) at high speed.

Difference is Alonso was 29 and in his 9th full season in 2010, Vettel was 23 and in his 3rd full season.

Forum opinions are redundant aswell, the opinions are too bias.

Hopefully Seb wraps this thing up in Austin!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:30 pm 

RaisinChips wrote:
Eva09 wrote:
Heidfeld hit Schumacher at Hungaroring, not the other way round. Schumacher also had to contend with hopelessly uncompetitive Bridgestone wet tyres, 10 place penalty for engine change in one of the early races (Malaysia?).

My real point was it was the reason Michael didn't *go on* to win the title. I wasn't talking about the earlier season, but I suppose you could do some sort of analysis for that.

It was a racing incident. He was overly aggressive defending with worn intermediates, first against PdlR and then Heidfeld, and kept cutting the chicane to stay ahead (yet ridiculously no penalty for him). When the other driver was on the inside and they went toward the chicane side by side Schumacher just cut the chicane several times. With his rough driving it was no surprise then that there was contact causing damage to the suspension that led to retirement.

He could have won the title but throughout the season he made too many costly mistakes.

The only mistake he made was crashing in Australia.

Hungary was a racing incident as you say. He was fighting hard, but why wouldn't he, he's Michael Schumacher.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:31 pm 

G1n wrote:

Judgment of SV or of JV?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:15 pm 

proven again by vettels hollow apology for swearing on tv.
He just cant take anything on the chin or accept blame.......whats the point of apologising if you are then going to say, viewers are to sensitive and they should turn over and watch kids tv if it offends them.
What a to55er ! :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:20 pm 

No driver in F1 is completely immune from the odd temper flare - they are humans like us. Vettel comes across as one of the nicer guys on the grid, despite the hate brigade picking on his every nuance and making a mountain out of it. Alonso also comes across fine, despite a giving an impression of being rather aloof.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:58 pm 

Londinium wrote:
scuderia_stevie wrote:
moby wrote:
Londinium wrote:
Whats with all the anti Villeneuve stuff? If anyone should know about this stuff it is Jacques after all ;) It's not like he's denying that he ever acted that way when he was in F1. If anything having acted that way he can comment about it as he has the experience.

But he never says it about himself :D

And, as much as I often agree with him, even to a certain extent this time, he rides on his father's coattails. See his piece for Sky at Montreal this year driving his father's Ferrari. As good as it was, his first reference is how the seat fits without adjustment and he seems to keep comparing himself. He probably thinks he's better, but never gets the credit.

If you think Jacques rides on the coattails of his dad then you didn't see him racing from '96-'01. Sure he was never Gilles but he was a cracking driver and with some better career choices he could have been a multiple world champion now. When he left for BAR he had the whole grid as his choice, when Renault were coming into F1, he was their first choice to lead the new team. He stuffed up both those choices and ended up a single time world champion...really he was the 1990s Lewis Hamilton, same thing is happening to Hammy :nod:

Yep, his decision making was terrible. But as for being a multiple WDC, it's often about right car, right driver, right time. I've learned that since watching F1 since ~1987. Hill and Villneuve lucked out in that car in 1994-97. It was by far the quickest most of those years and when it wasn't it was more reliable.

Jacques is a good driver, but his dad is always rated higher and as Jacques's career failed he went from trying to step out his father's shadow to planting himself firmly in it, trying to compare what both should have achieved (in Jacques's mind at least).

With better career choices Takuma Sato COULD have been a multiple WDC.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:40 pm 

As if a driver is mature or not matters on-track. Not like he will be DSQ from the championship just because he is " immature ".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:38 am 

Eva09 wrote:
The only mistake he made was crashing in Australia.

Hungary was a racing incident as you say. He was fighting hard, but why wouldn't he, he's Michael Schumacher.

Hungary was a racing incident but he was imprudent, he had no chance to keep Heidfeld at bay with worn intermediates, so he was fighting a losing battle and took huge risks with the rough driving and it cost him as it was likely to do. And he continuously cut the chicane to keep first de la Rosa and then Heidfeld from passing even when he was already on the outside and had no chance to keep them from passing if he'd stayed on the track instead of cutting.

And then there's Monaco were he threw away at least a podium, very possibly race victory, and tarnished his reputation with the infamous parking incident. Compared to his title rival Alonso he made too many crucial mistakes in 2006.

But anyway this is getting off-topic so enough about it, if we disagree then we disagree. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:36 am 

how is alonso mature??? he kept playing mind games and elevating his achievement while diminish the other's.

seems to remember he kept showing petrov middle finger and yell at him after failed to overtook him in a much faster car in abu dhabi 2010.

Germany 2010, when he couldn't overtook massa. 2007, melbourne, monaco etc lewis had to pit despite capable of running few more laps with the fuel load he's having as alonso yelling in TR. US gp, again, alonso demand lewis to move over handing him the lead while the team reject. He went on crying to the press about unequal status given by the team. Not to mention his email exchange with Mike Coughlan contain the fuel lvl, pit strategy and car setup data of ferrari's. The spy even handicapped kimi 's car by pouring unknown chemical into the car. And also the infamous crash gate.

Its always other people that failed him, and nvr his own fault.

Guy doesnt deserve any bit of praise about his maturity lmao. He cant share resources with his teammate and fight fairly, he doesn't even deserve to be called 1 of the greats.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:52 am 

Vettel has just said that if somebody doesn't like his use of language, then he/she should switch to a different channel, to a kid's channel actually.

That's such a badass attitude.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:00 am 

chican wrote:
Vettel has just said that if somebody doesn't like his use of language, then he/she should switch to a different channel, to a kid's channel actually.

That's such a badass attitude.

Sebastian trying to be more like Kimi. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:06 am 

all drivers have their moments...... they mature with time... Vettel and Hami come under more scrutiny coz they became champions at a very young age while maturing process was beginning....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:38 am 

Laura23 wrote:
Rich coming from JV.

Anyway Alonso is just as bad for his childish outbursts. 2007 when he kicked a door down in China, Hungary quali, late 2006 when he started saying Renault didn't want him to win, Valencia a few years ago when he started shouting about Hamilton on the radio, Abu Dhabi 2010 when he started on Petrov for just doing his job...

Maybe you should change that to WAS, although maybe he has just not been put into similar situations lately. How far can you look back on drivers careers to constantly bring up certain behaviours even if they happened years ago? I'm sure if you go back even further and to junior categories you would find more examples.

JV is talking about the Vettel of THIS season, the present, not the past, with behaviour we have all seen very recently and is fresh in everyones memory. I'm sure Alonso got enough flak for his outbursts at the time they happened (ffs he get's them even now after 7 years..). Of course Vettel is younger and will have time to improve on this as Alonso or any other more mature driver has.

2011 Silverstone 1st
2012 Spa 1st
2012 Interlagos 3rd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:53 am 

Fishy wrote:
infi24r wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:

ring ding ding ding ding

the finger

you cucumber

etc

Some of Hamiltons pit radios over the years have been just as embarassing as Vettels

Also seen Lewis Hamilton cry after winning a fair few races and winning his world title. Do you know the meaning of emotion?

2013: 12th
2014: 50th

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:58 am 

BrazilLastCorner2008 wrote:
Some of Hamiltons pit radios over the years have been just as embarassing as Vettels

Not to mention his silly comparisons of himself and other drivers with those from a previous era. Nothing can be more immature than that. Also there his Twittering Twit activity....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:59 am 

Usman wrote:
all drivers have their moments...... they mature with time... Vettel and Hami come under more scrutiny coz they became champions at a very young age while maturing process was beginning....

Agreed. Best just to giggle at these little outbursts and move on.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:25 pm 

BrazilLastCorner2008 wrote:
Fishy wrote:
infi24r wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:

ring ding ding ding ding

the finger

you cucumber

etc

Also seen Lewis Hamilton cry after winning a fair few races and winning his world title. Do you know the meaning of emotion?

The only drivers I have seen cry are Schumacher, Hakkinen and Massa and Barrichello who cries all the time.

Hamilton was presumably crying in Brazil 2008 like Massa was but he was in a huddle so I couldn't say.

Never seen DC or Kimi cry.

I've never seen Alonso cry but I think he sweats too much. His face after Abu Dhabi 2010 made me cry.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:28 pm 

Fishy wrote:
Maybe he should be like Hamilton and show zero emotion at all. How is he a baby? Have you ever heard a negative behind-the-scenes incident with him? No. He minds his own business.

If there is one guy on the grid who doesn't mind his own business, it his Hamilton. It is he who comes out with those stupid statements and uncalled for opinions about other drivers, moaning about Button not following him on Twitter etc.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:11 pm 

Horner's response - http://www.f1zone.net/news/horner-defen ... ism/16765/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:40 pm 

totally agree