planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:36 am 

I feel biased as an American. However, I attended every USGP at Indy and I knew it was a horrible F1 track. This one is awesome... tons of elevation changes, great flow to the track, and ideal lap length... Seems to have everything, much more exciting than Tilke's other new tracks the past 10 years or so...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:56 am 

Wish they'd found a way to pre-rubber the overtaking zones off-line.

Otherwise, I like it. But when the drivers are saying it's too slippery off-line, and Pirelli is saying it will be a 1-stopper, it sounds like it might become a boring procession this first year.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:15 am 

I think it's absolutely fantastic.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:41 am 

i think its a great looking track. I hope it can produce a good race

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:01 am 

flyer wrote:
Wish they'd found a way to pre-rubber the overtaking zones off-line.

Otherwise, I like it. But when the drivers are saying it's too slippery off-line, and Pirelli is saying it will be a 1-stopper, it sounds like it might become a boring procession this first year.

I think that the slippery track will force errors, could be quite a lot of incident on Sunday.

Member of the Lewis Hamilton fan club but yet to receive my customary tin foil hat.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:44 am 

I think it is brilliant and looks made for an exciting race. Rather than the flat, broing tracks that we see in some places, this one looks like any race could be eventful. I think that corner 1, which everyone is talking about, will have even more say during the race than simply at the start.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:47 am 

Ace track. Got my vote. My only gripe for these new tracks is too much run off and the distance fans sit away from the action.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:12 am 

I'm afraid we might not see any overtaking. And given that the Redbull is dominating already with Pirelli predicting a 1-stop race.. it might well be a borefest.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:03 am 

The track profile is good all right, but we'll have to wait and see what kind of racing it produces. It could be anything from hugely entertaining, lap 1 will surely be it no matter what, to a race where nothing really happens. It's far too early to call on that though, probably even after Sunday's race.

Also, one thing I have about it - it may be the filming, but I have no idea about what's going on on track whatsoever - watching the FPs was plain confusing because they filmed in some random angles (di Resta being shown for a few seconds then disappearing around a hill...) The track area is not visually appealing either.

All in all, the track is good and probably a joy to drive, but TV-entertainment-wise, I have a bit of skepticism.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:22 am 

I think the track is fantastic, i like all the elevation changes and series of 's' etc. T1 looks brill and the whole place looks good.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:24 pm 

Track is simply awsome, the best of Tilke by far.

Though i think it's incredibly stupid not having a heap of support races before F1 cars hit the track. Overtaking is going to be tough with such a vast difference in grip between on-line and off-line. The same happened at India last year, so they really should have learned their lesson. No-brainer really.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:09 pm 

I think Pirelli should have considered bringing mediums and softs for this race. They had to know a new track would need rubbering in... it would have also have given us 2 pit stops for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:13 am 

What really struck me on site was the elevation--both the dramatic things as well as the little ones (e.g., there's a lovely little set of undulations on Turns 3-5.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:36 am 

Nice curves, could do with some native pine or oak or elm forest or something, if it would grow there. Would make it a little more appealing to the eye.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:01 am 

overhyped..........expect ranting from many just like after Buddh Circuit with boring race.....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:25 am 

Hakkattack wrote:
I think Pirelli should have considered bringing mediums and softs for this race. They had to know a new track would need rubbering in... it would have also have given us 2 pit stops for sure.

Totally agree the softs should have been the option on such a new track

Last edited by Canadian Stig on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:34 am 

pirelli should nvr toy with the working range of tyre at the first place..........

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:41 am 

It looks ok, as mentioned the camera work leaves a lot to be desired. I think this year because the track is so green it's going to be one line and not a lot of overtaking and generally dull, hopefully the track gets some use before we get back there next year. That first corner is going to cause some problems.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:16 am 

I love turn 1 but I think there should be a corresponding downhill hairpin to lengthen the breaking zones.

The penalty for not overtaking a slow car at turn 1 looks like having to do 9 corners in dirty air. I think there may be a few "Do or die" moves on cars drivers see as holding them up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:07 am 

I like the track, and so far I loved the camera work I saw! :thumbup:

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:13 am 

It may be among the best of Tilke's F1 circuits, but then again I heard on tv yesterday that Tilke had some sort of oversight role and that there were others involved in the design work (I heard Kevin Schwantz was involved). Overall seems like a circuit that can offer good racing and is definitely better than Indianapolis was.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:35 am 

Absolutely fantastic track. Let's hope for an equally fantastic race!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:38 am 

Hakkattack wrote:

According to Sky F1 commentary yesterday, Pirelli stated that with hindsight, they would actually have bought Soft and Supersoft to this race, two steps lower than we have actually have.

As for the track, I like it a lot but don't think we will see its full potential for racing until next year.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:17 pm 

Great circuit. Too green at present.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:26 pm 

Track looks fantastic, great elevation and some fun corners. We're sure to get a healthy vocal crowd so atmosphere should be good. I don't expect that much overtaking though as we have the wrong tyres coupled with a surface that probably needs bedding in a bit. That's after they get around turn 1 though and I have no idea what's gonna happen there but I will be amazed if all 24 cars make it round without contact.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:11 pm 

The "Hockenheim" section seems unneccesarily fiddly and annoying.

Other than that, it looks like a great circuit to drive, but might not necessarily provide the most exciting racing in terms of overtaking. Probably similar to Buddh in that regard.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:14 pm 

GingerFurball wrote:

Other than that, it looks like a great circuit to drive, but might not necessarily provide the most exciting racing in terms of overtaking. Probably similar to Buddh in that regard.

I thought the same thing about sector 3 until I saw the helicopter shots during the FP sessions. From the air a car foing through the turn 16-17-18 complex looks awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:22 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:

I thought the same thing about sector 3 until I saw the helicopter shots during the FP sessions. From the air a car foing through the turn 16-17-18 complex looks awesome.

16-17-18 is the "Istanbul" section. The "Hockenheim" complex is immediately after the back straight.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:27 pm 

Track looks good. Whether we see good race or not will be down to tyres and straight line speed of some cars. That massive straight between turn 11 and 12 is going to be tough to defend against for cars with slower top speed. Specially in the beginning under heavy fuel load. I expect Ferrari powered cars to make up few places along with Merc powered cars.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:33 pm 

tootsie323 wrote:
Great circuit. Too green at present.

Not too green for powerslides and spins. It's sure to make the race entertaining.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:33 pm 

Looks like a good track, and one I want to drive.

I think the racing will be good because the track isnt rubbered in and their on the wrong tires, it will be like watching a wet race. I spotted at least 3 good overtaking spots, I think the easiest would be turn 1 if you can get the car defending to take the inside line to cut you off. Swoop around the outside and you have a decent section of full throttle you should get a much better run out of the corner and overtake. I think this is where we will see the most action. Of course the long straight will have some DRS overtakes as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:51 pm 

I was a massive sceptic (with good reason - most Tilke circuits are a bit of a failure) before Friday, but after just a few laps, I loved it! That first complex of corners looks immense, and turn 19 has turned out to be a gem.

My only annoyance with it, is that I want to drive it and can't.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:13 pm 

I'm a little worried of the blind corners with traffic, obviously we'll see soon enough if they turn out to be dangerous. With the track being so green I hope we have a clean race.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:22 pm 

6speed wrote:
I'm a little worried of the blind corners with traffic, obviously we'll see soon enough if they turn out to be dangerous. With the track being so green I hope we have a clean race.

It's exactly this kind of thing that adds to the spectacle - drivers need to be challenged.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:24 pm 

Lets wait and see how the racing is but it certainly looks fantastic and challenging.

It will be a real test of how you can handle pressure from a chasing car, the people who don't cope well will be forced into running wide.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:39 pm 

it its a 1 stop strategy, it will be a boring race

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:54 pm 

Hakkattack wrote:
I feel biased as an American. However, I attended every USGP at Indy and I knew it was a horrible F1 track. This one is awesome... tons of elevation changes, great flow to the track, and ideal lap length... Seems to have everything, much more exciting than Tilke's other new tracks the past 10 years or so...

Hi Mario, hello! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:29 pm 

Well that was a fantastic race. There was so much action for positions 4-10 at the start that the director couldn't keep up with it. Plenty of overtaking, though (as usual) DRS made overtaking down the straight just comical. You may as well have raced F1 vs Formula Ford down that straight.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:45 pm 

Britishgreen wrote:
Track looks fantastic, great elevation and some fun corners. We're sure to get a healthy vocal crowd so atmosphere should be good. I don't expect that much overtaking though as we have the wrong tyres coupled with a surface that probably needs bedding in a bit. That's after they get around turn 1 though and I have no idea what's gonna happen there but I will be amazed if all 24 cars make it round without contact.

I guess this is why I'm not a well paid pundit :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:59 pm 

Britishgreen wrote:
Britishgreen wrote:

I guess this is why I'm not a well paid pundit :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:
twas a very good standard of driving yesterday by them all !