planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Watching f1 in Japan?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:58 am 

So I'll be in Japan for the final two rounds, and I'm wondering, presuming it's on free to air here, what channel and when?

Anybody know?

I failed quite dismally at searching for this info. :(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:14 am 

Just randomly tune for a sports channel? Hold up while i ask my Jap mate.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:31 am 

I have the same problem, I'm studying in China at the moment. Only a couple of the races have been shown on CCTV5 and my tv does not have ESPN Asia :(. Because of the time difference as well at some of the races I just wait until the next day and they are usually on youku.com where highlights are available.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:17 am 

Fuji TV Next (Pay) broadcast the races live

BS Fuji (Free) air a delayed broadcast after Fuji TV

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:25 am 

As above, Fuji Next show it live and BS Fuji play it delayed. Fuji next is pay TV, but BS Fuji is free.

BS Fuji don't show the delayed USA GP race until 10pm on Monday local time. They also won't show the Brazilian GP until 10pm on Monday the 26th of November local time. (Qualifying for the Brazilian GP will be on at 8pm on Sunday the 25th of November.)
Info in Japanese here http://www.bsfuji.tv/top/pub/f1.html

You may have to press the "BS" button on your remote to access the BS channels including BS Fuji.

A word of caution. Japanese TV coverage is absolutely appalling.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:49 am 

if you have the internet then you can switch to the streams.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:04 pm 

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll have to find some other means of watching it. I might fall asleep before then anyway :/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:52 pm 

ekoku wrote:
Japanese TV coverage is absolutely appalling.

Hi ekoku Image - I'd say the Japanese F1 commentary is actually very good and well-informed. It always has been on Fuji TV Next, anyway, and I'm pretty sure they now use the same commentary on the BS channel (as opposed to the spelling-everything-out-for-idiots approach previously adopted when the delayed broadcast was on terrestrial).

But yeah, aside from the commentary the coverage is crap. It's only when you move abroad that you realise how lucky the UK public are with the sports coverage.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:14 pm 

Sidiclei wrote:
ekoku wrote:

Hi ekoku Image - I'd say the Japanese F1 commentary is actually very good and well-informed. It always has been on Fuji TV Next, anyway, and I'm pretty sure they now use the same commentary on the BS channel (as opposed to the spelling-everything-out-for-idiots approach previously adopted when the delayed broadcast was on terrestrial).

But yeah, aside from the commentary the coverage is crap. It's only when you move abroad that you realise how lucky the UK public are with the sports coverage.

Hi Image
You may be right about commentary. I've only ever had the sound on a couple of times and there seems to be an awful lot of very long pauses followed by ridiculously excited babble. It's either 0% or 100%, however, I always get that impression with Japanese sports. My Japanese is no where near good enough to know how much sense they're talking - it just comes across as pretty brainless.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:23 pm 

ekoku wrote:
Sidiclei wrote:
ekoku wrote:

Hi Image
You may be right about commentary. I've only ever had the sound on a couple of times and there seems to be an awful lot of very long pauses followed by ridiculously excited babble. It's either 0% or 100%, however, I always get that impression with Japanese sports. My Japanese is no where near good enough to know how much sense they're talking - it just comes across as pretty brainless.

Do they still do the crazy intros using the flying anime characters like in 2007? I love Japan.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:15 pm 

ekoku wrote:

The terrestrial sports commentary is certainly brainless stuff. F1 used to be until they scrapped the separate terrestrial team at the end of last year, and football certainly is. The guys on the paid channels tend to be much better - in terms of not talking to the audience as if they need everything laid out for them - although even then it still depends on the person.

Eva09 wrote:
Do they still do the crazy intros using the flying anime characters like in 2007? I love Japan.

No, sadly not. F1 is now also without the pretty lady in the studio who's just there to be pretty and enthusiastic.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:52 am 

Sidiclei wrote:
ekoku wrote:

The terrestrial sports commentary is certainly brainless stuff. F1 used to be until they scrapped the separate terrestrial team at the end of last year, and football certainly is. The guys on the paid channels tend to be much better - in terms of not talking to the audience as if they need everything laid out for them - although even then it still depends on the person.

Eva09 wrote:

No, sadly not. F1 is now also without the pretty lady in the studio who's just there to be pretty and enthusiastic.

Ah yes, the brainless enthusiastic pretty lady drives my wife crazy. The Olympics were the worst.
There's now some weird bit of Anime before the Premier League games on JSports.
Just found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gapGSVYQ8s

Now, I'm trying to decide whether to watch the re-run that's on tonight. I lose interest very quickly once I know the result.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:20 pm 

ekoku wrote:
Ah yes, the brainless enthusiastic pretty lady drives my wife crazy. The Olympics were the worst.

Now, I'm trying to decide whether to watch the re-run that's on tonight. I lose interest very quickly once I know the result.

Yeah, I've been intrigued by those anime too! In fact I also have a recording of the race to watch but have lost interest after accidentally finding out the result on the BBC wesbite earlier. Are you me?

I do a bit of work for JSports once a week and I'm off up there again tomorrow so I'll try and find out who's responsible for the anime.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:50 pm 

Sidiclei wrote:
ekoku wrote:

Yeah, I've been intrigued by those anime too! In fact I also have a recording of the race to watch but have lost interest after accidentally finding out the result on the BBC wesbite earlier. Are you me?

I do a bit of work for JSports once a week and I'm off up there again tomorrow so I'll try and find out who's responsible for the anime.
Cool. Can you get me free JSports 4? :lol:

To be fair, there was no way I could avoid the F1 result until now, so I checked first thing in the morning.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:04 pm 

ekoku wrote:
Cool. Can you get me free JSports 4? :lol:

To be fair, there was no way I could avoid the F1 result until now, so I checked first thing in the morning.

:lol: I wish they gave it to me for free! A few of the full-time staff there don't have any of the paid channels at home, partly for the same reason. One of the big football producers doesn't even have a telly!